• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my CPU after Amazon delaying my delivery twice so I cancelled and bought from overclockers got this nice pc now!

Dan Case A4-SFX V4
B450 I Aorus Pro (upgraded the bios with an Athlon 200GE)
Ryzen 7 3700x
32GB Corsair Vengance LPX 3200
RTX 2070 Super
1TB NVME SSD
Corsair sfx 600w gold 80+
Noctua Low Pofile cooler

Temps are a bit on the high side for the CPU but its all within thermal limits 60 idle - 80 in a synthetic load

IMG_20190717_182826.jpg

IMG_20190717_192108.jpg

IMG_20190717_200945.jpg

Last edited:

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
Can I get advice on RAM? I purchased this for my 3700X but I am starting to think that I should have maybe invested in faster RAM. Am I overthinking this or should I return and buy some better performing sticks?
I found that the cost just gets exponentially higher as you go faster. i got the 3200MHz version of the same brand / type you linked because it wasn't much more expensive, and they have shown that ram speed scales performance well with ryzen 3k that being said i dont think 3200mhz performs loads better than 3000mhz maybe a frame or two :P

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm going to probably sound like an idiot, but I have a question about memory. I watched the DF video linked up a few posts and this moment caught my eye:

FoQWG0o.png

Gains of 15-20fps just by moving from 2133MHz DDR4 --> 3000MHz+.

Now...up until now I didn't think memory speeds made that much difference, so I've been chugging along with this stuff:

I believe it's 2400MHz?

Can I expect a significant performance increase if I move up to 3400 or 3600MHz memory? I see my MB supports those speeds and higher. My CPU is a 6700K @ 4.7GHz w/2080Ti and I'm currently looking at these:

Am I right in assuming I'll see some nice performance gains if I move onto one of these sets? If so, are there any of these particularly recommended?

Thanks as always. This might save me from spending several hundred more to upgrade the cpu, memory and mobo right now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found that the cost just gets exponentially higher as you go faster. i got the 3200MHz version of the same brand / type you linked because it wasn't much more expensive, and they have shown that ram speed scales performance well with ryzen 3k that being said i dont think 3200mhz performs loads better than 3000mhz maybe a frame or two :P
Thats what I thought! I saw the TechPowerUp benchmarks and thought damn why pay so much for such a small boost but then more reviews come out saying how dependant Ryzen is on good RAM and now im just torn between both sides! :(

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
Thats what I thought! I saw the TechPowerUp benchmarks and thought damn why pay so much for such a small boost but then more reviews come out saying how dependant Ryzen is on good RAM and now im just torn between both sides! :(
Get the fastest you can afford is the rule to be fair

3400 / 3600 mhz was just so much more for 32GB ram for me that i decided it wasn't worth going higher than the 3200 i ended up with.

EDIT: 3200 costs the same as the 3000 kit you linked so i would recommend that

Just remember to turn on XMP to get the full ram speed once installed

bltn

Jan 22, 2018
I'm going to probably sound like an idiot, but I have a question about memory. I watched the DF video linked up a few posts and this moment caught my eye:

FoQWG0o.png

Now...up until now I didn't think memory speeds made that much difference, so I've been chugging along with this stuff:

I believe it's 2400MHz?

Can I expect a significant performance increase if I move up to 3400 or 3600MHz memory? I see my MB supports those speeds and higher. My CPU is a 6700K @ 4.7GHz w/2080Ti and I'm currently looking at these:

Am I right in assuming I'll see some nice performance gains if I move onto one of these sets? If so, are there any of these particularly recommended?

Thanks as always. This might save me from spending several hundred more to upgrade the cpu, memory and mobo right now.

I also have a 6700k @ 4.6Ghz with 32GB 2400Mhz memory. The other day I bumped the memory voltage 1.2V -> 1.35V and was able to overclock the memory frequency to 3000Mhz stable. Might want to try that first before buying new memory!

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I also have a 6700k @ 4.6Ghz with 32GB 2400Mhz memory. The other day I bumped the memory voltage 1.2V -> 1.35V and was able to overclock the memory frequency to 3000Mhz stable. Might want to try that first before buying new memory!
interesting! I'll try that today and also keep any memory upgrade make/model recommendations in case OC'ing doesn't work out too well for me.

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
Finally got my parts =)
(The ssd is my second one, for the System. I have a second one for games witz 2TB. The GPU is 1080ti)
GrEfE9K.jpg

And finished upgrading yesterday.

YP3xDu6.jpg

I really hate to build inside the small case...but it's finally ready.

I had way too much voltages on the CPU, so I had to undervolt it. The Board seems to just erase my Fan settings. It's annoying, but hey, early adopter. I knew what I was getting into. Besides that I'm really happy. Coming from a 6600k it's a huge upgrade.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys,
I'm looking for a small Micro-ATX case to start my Ryzen build. I currently have an old PC (core i5 4460, 8 GB RAM, 1050 Ti) in a mITX but I want to move away from that form factor because parts are expensive.
Is The InWin 301 good? Is there anything better and smaller?

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Anyone give me some indicative temperatures for RTX 2XXX cards they have?

My 2060 super is running at about 75-80 degrees max with a modified fan curve, was just wondering what others were looking at in their PC's or if you think that too hot?

To be fair it is really variable...Witcher 3 will only get it to low 70's. Furmark pushes it to about 80 and steadies our. Total War Three Kingdoms pushes it pretty much as hard as Furmark on my 140+ turn campaign map.

I might buy some side panel fans to push some cool air directly onto it.

Oct 25, 2017

My 2060 super is running at about 75-80 degrees max with a modified fan curve, was just wondering what others were looking at in their PC's or if you think that too hot?

To be fair it is really variable...Witcher 3 will only get it to low 70's. Furmark pushes it to about 80 and steadies our. Total War Three Kingdoms pushes it pretty much as hard as Furmark on my 140+ turn campaign map.

My RTX 2060 (non-super) 72 degree celcius at most while under max load (gaming, I've never tested it via furmark).
Mostly it hovers between 62 and 69 degrees.
My case is pretty small and crowded (mITX). I've got the Gigabyte Gaming OC Pro at stock settings

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
alright, after an early fubar requiring a cmos reset, I've got what looks like a stable 3000MHz at 16-18-18-36-2T (4 sticks), which seems to be the standard max at 1.35V. Stress testing for the last 30 minutes and all has been well (3000% coverage tested in HCI). I somehow managed to remember the settings for my 4.7GHz CPU overclock which is no small miracle given it's been several months since I tinkered with that.

Assuming all is well, hopefully I'll see some meaningful improvements. If not, I'll very much appreciate recommendations for 3333MHz/3400MHz memory. Have both of the makes/models in my post at the top of the page in my cart. Will go with whatever one is the better option for performance (the price difference doesn't bother me but obviously I don't want to pay $60 more if I'm not going to see better performance).

edit: another hour of memory stability testing and 0 errors. I'll probably do an overnight test to get over 100% coverage testing, but I got up to 70% or so and no issues. I think I'm good. Have yet to try it on anything but these tests. Hoping for some notable gains.

Last edited:

Octopop

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any thoughts on the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi AMD Ryzen 3000 for a 3700x build? My first choice of motherboard was the ASUS x570 Gaming TUF WiFi board but it seems to be backordered everywhere.

I installed it last weekend and it's fine. Feels really durable, has plenty of weight to it with the M2 and chipset heatsinks. Installation was simple enough with plenty of connections. Waiting on my 2070S to give it a proper testing though as I'm still running my Titan 6gb from 2013.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
anyone have experience with Ebuyer in the UK? I've never ordered from them but that's where I got my CPU + Motherboard from. I only bought from them because they were the only place who had the Aorus Master in stock.

I've sent them back my motherboard as I believe it is what is causing the crashes. I just have a feeling they are gonna say nothing is wrong with it and charge me for them to send it back to me. the thing is the crashes are random. it could happen 10 minutes after starting or it could happen after 4 hours.

my founder's edition 2080 idles at 30C and never goes beyond ~75C. i had a custom fan curve and it can go to about ~2080 core and 7700 memory.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I'd like to know this as well as I'm currently waiting for the custom 5700XTs. I'm wondering if I should just order the other parts now?

I've rarely found such predictions accurate, even when based on known problems (such as the recent RAM factory power outage). I'm not saying you shouldn't buy now just to be safe, but I am saying, I've seen those predictions be wildly inaccurate many times over the years... so, there's no easy answer, unfortunately.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
anyone have experience with Ebuyer in the UK? I've never ordered from them but that's where I got my CPU + Motherboard from. I only bought from them because they were the only place who had the Aorus Master in stock.

I've sent them back my motherboard as I believe it is what is causing the crashes. I just have a feeling they are gonna say nothing is wrong with it and charge me for them to send it back to me. the thing is the crashes are random. it could happen 10 minutes after starting or it could happen after 4 hours.

my founder's edition 2080 idles at 30C and never goes beyond ~75C. i had a custom fan curve and it can go to about ~2080 core and 7700 memory.

Thanks for the temperatures!

Have used ebuyer a lot (including returns at times) and have yet to have a bad experience with them...I know experiences can vary as with any online store but they have always been fine for me.

Oct 27, 2017

Bought my current PC parts from them, or bought almost all of it minus GPU, Hyper 212 Evo and Vengeance RAM. The only defective part was RAM, which Amazon accepted no problem with return shipping on them. Then bought Crucial RAM from ebuyer. Good experience, but never did any returns to them.

Did you request a refund or replacement? I doubt they stress-test hardware themselves, they will just RMA it to Gigabyte.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Just received a Ryzen 3900X. Last 24 hours has been too exciting! Installed on my X470 and will download HW Monitor and other monitoring software to let u guys know if I'm having any voltage spikes.

First thing I always do with a new CPU is give a spin on Cinebench and Unigine Heaven bench.

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
I got a ryzen 2200g with a rx 570 8gig im thinking of upgrade it to a ryzen 2600 with a ssd too does the ryzen 2600 worth it?

Jeff6851

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I upgraded to a 3700X from a 1500X @ 3.8, also went from an AB350 Pro 4 to a B450 Tomahawk. However, my FPS has dropped. For example, Rocket League used to have a consistent 144 and now ranges from 75-120 and will even dip into the 50s on occasion. Nothing else about the system has changed.

I updated BIOS and drivers, temps are getting to about 73C on a stress test, 50 or so on idle.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I got a ryzen 2200g with a rx 570 8gig im thinking of upgrade it to a ryzen 2600 with a ssd too does the ryzen 2600 worth it?
I would think so. Some games that don't use more than 2-4 cores and are already gpu-limited on an RX 570 won't show much improvement, but in multicore-heavy games, and other tasks like encoding/compression/multitasking, the 2600 will have a pretty good advantage.

You can check videos like this for an idea what games really benefit. (This was with a Vega 56, so it's not a one-to-one comparison.)

This review includes results for 2200G and 2600, benched with a GTX 1080.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone !

Just a quick question. I'm making a CPU upgrade soon from my i7 4790.

I have a 140€ coupon to use in one specific store, who doesnt have the Ryzen 9 3900x. They have the i9 9900k and the Ryzen 7 3800x. That coupon is good until August 14th 2019.

My question is the following, which CPU should I get ?

It's important to precise that I mainly do gaming. The only productivity I ever did was a bit of Microsoft Word. As for gaming, a good part of it is also emulation (especially of newer hardware such as Wii U, PS3 and soon Switch).

Basically my question is the following:
If the Ryzen 9 3900x is stocked, which one between i9 9900k and Ryzen 9 3900x should I get ?

And if it isnt, same question between Ryzen 7 3800x and i9 9900k.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone !

For some reason the 3800x hasn't been sent to reviewers so there's still no extensive coverage on what it can do over the 3700x, so it's still not clear if it's worth the extra money. A review should come soon from Hardware Unboxed since they bought one, though.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason the 3800x hasn't been sent to reviewers so there's still no extensive coverage on what it can do over the 3700x, so it's still not clear if it's worth the extra money. A review should come soon from Hardware Unboxed since they bought one, though.

I should include the 3700x then.
For the record the 3700x is 100 bucks cheaper than then i9 and the 3800x 60 bucks cheaper. The 3900x should cost the same if it's stocked.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Bought my current PC parts from them, or bought almost all of it minus GPU, Hyper 212 Evo and Vengeance RAM. The only defective part was RAM, which Amazon accepted no problem with return shipping on them. Then bought Crucial RAM from ebuyer. Good experience, but never did any returns to them.

Did you request a refund or replacement? I doubt they stress-test hardware themselves, they will just RMA it to Gigabyte.
I just asked for a refund. I'll probably buy it again from Scan/Amazon if they have it in stock.

I'm just worried cause sometimes it will crash soon after booting and sometimes it will take hours. They said they will test it and if they decide it's not faulty they will charge me and send it back.

I've tested all my hardware and it's either the CPU or motherboard. I find it far more likely something is faulty on the motherboard than CPU.

Windows can't tell me the cause of the crash and it even happened while running memtest off a USB drive.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
I should include the 3700x then.
For the record the 3700x is 100 bucks cheaper than then i9 and the 3800x 60 bucks cheaper. The 3900x should cost the same if it's stocked.
You should check some reviews from HW unboxed and Gamers Nexus, the tl;dr is that they're tied in gaming, so it comes down to value, power draw, thermals, price of mobo (+ cooler in Intel's case).
As for emulators, I'm not sure how big of a difference there is, but there's probably not a lot of info on the Zen 2 cpus since they just came out. My guess is that with the IPC improvements they should be closer than they used to be.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
You should check some reviews from HW unboxed and Gamers Nexus, the tl;dr is that they're tied in gaming, so it comes down to price, power draw, thermals, price of mobo (+ cooler in Intel's case).
As for emulators, I'm not sure how big of a difference there is, but there's probably not a lot of info on the Zen 2 cpus since they just came out. My guess is that with the IPC improvements they should be closer than they used to be.

As for the cooler, I already have a Bequiet Dark rock TF. As for the mobo, I'd be looking at a micro atx one.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Hi everyone !

I have a 140€ coupon to use in one specific store, who doesnt have the Ryzen 9 3900x. They have the i9 9900k and the Ryzen 7 3800x. That coupon is good until August 14th 2019.

My question is the following, which CPU should I get ?

It's important to precise that I mainly do gaming. The only productivity I ever did was a bit of Microsoft Word. As for gaming, a good part of it is also emulation (especially of newer hardware such as Wii U, PS3 and soon Switch).

Basically my question is the following:
If the Ryzen 9 3900x is stocked, which one between i9 9900k and Ryzen 9 3900x should I get ?

And if it isnt, same question between Ryzen 7 3800x and i9 9900k.
The 3800x are basically just binned 3700x chips. (high performers).

If you are just gaming you certainly don't need the 3900x. I'd be perfectly happy with the 3800x or the 9900k if I were you. The 9900k is going to excel at gaming and the 3800x is geared toward multitasking. But they both have the same amount of cores and threads. You can't go wrong with either. The 9900K is going to outperform the 3800x in most gaming scenarios but you're going to have to spend extra money on a good aftermarket cooler.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

If you are just gaming you certainly don't need the 3900x. I'd be perfectly happy with the 3800x or the 9900k if I were you. The 9900k is going to excel at gaming and the 3800x will be better for multitasking. You can't go wrong with either. The 9900K is going to outperform the 3800x one in most gaming scenarios but you're going to have to spend extra money on an good aftermarket cooler.

I already have a good aftermarket cooler:

Althought I dont know if it's good enough indeed.
Also the reason I would go for the Ryzen 9 3900x is also future proofing. Basically in 3 or 4 years the only thing I want to change is my GPU. I was thinking 8c/16t might be a minimum for that and that 12c/24t might be better. But unfortunately that coupon wont last for more than a month so my options now are pretty much i9 9900k or 3700/3800/3900x if the latter is available.

Also, a micro ATX motherboard would be a plus since it'd mean I wouldn't need to change my case.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I mean it doesn't really work that way. The 3900x isn't appreciably better in gaming scenarios just because it has 12 cores. By the time that games are fully utilizing 8 cores even, there are going to be much better gaming processors than we have right now. Might as well save that $100 for year 2022+.

It's like buying 32gb of RAM. Do what you wanna do. But you asked, and the extra is pretty much a waste of pure gaming build budget. good luck with whatever you decide~

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019

If you are just gaming you certainly don't need the 3900x. I'd be perfectly happy with the 3800x or the 9900k if I were you. The 9900k is going to excel at gaming and the 3800x is geared toward multitasking. But they both have the same amount of cores and threads. You can't go wrong with either. The 9900K is going to outperform the 3800x in most gaming scenarios but you're going to have to spend extra money on a good aftermarket cooler.

Outperform technically yes, as you need a 2080 ti an game at 1080p to see a difference in game performance between 3900x and 9900K, and then the gap is 5% at stock and 6% when the 9900k is OC'd to 5Ghz.

5% and 6% is based on Steve from Hardware Unboxed doing a gigantic 36-game test bench, which is pretty conclusive:

So it's a question of whether you want 5% more, or have 25% more productivity, lower load power requirements, better efficiency on 3900X

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
I already have a good aftermarket cooler:

Althought I dont know if it's good enough indeed.
Also the reason I would go for the Ryzen 9 3900x is also future proofing. Basically in 3 or 4 years the only thing I want to change is my GPU. I was thinking 8c/16t might be a minimum for that and that 12c/24t might be better. But unfortunately that coupon wont last for more than a month so my options now are pretty much i9 9900k or 3700/3800/3900x if the latter is available.

Also, a micro ATX motherboard would be a plus since it'd mean I wouldn't need to change my case.
Watch the reviews. Some people here think that SMT has no value or that 10 extra fps at 150+ on a 2080 Ti in 2019 is super important even though you're playing at 60, so you're not gonna get a definitive answer. If you care about value you should reach some conclusions on your own.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So I've got a question, I bought an m.2 ssd, and my mobo has two ports, both can be either sata or nvme, and both use the chipset.
Is there any performance penalty if I use the farthest one? It has much more space (the top one is in between the gpu and cpu heatsink) so the temps should be much better.
Also, the motherboard doesn't have any m.2 shield, so I was looking into that. I have some tiny heatsinks that should be perfect for the size of the chips, but EWKB has some full body heatsinks that look awesome. Has anyone used them?
And last, it is a QLC ssd, so it's pretty bad in performace (but it was 88€ for 1TB, can't complain), would it make sense to use it as a main OS drive instead of the Crucial MX100 I am currently using or should I only use it for fast storage? (games mostly)

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my CPU after Amazon delaying my delivery twice so I cancelled and bought from overclockers got this nice pc now!

Dan Case A4-SFX V4
B450 I Aorus Pro (upgraded the bios with an Athlon 200GE)
Ryzen 7 3700x
32GB Corsair Vengance LPX 3200
RTX 2070 Super
1TB NVME SSD
Corsair sfx 600w gold 80+
Noctua Low Pofile cooler

Temps are a bit on the high side for the CPU but its all within thermal limits 60 idle - 80 in a synthetic load

60 idle? that's...expected from these new ryzens? that is pretty damn high.

FoQWG0o.png

I believe it's 2400MHz?

Yeah, faster RAM started making a difference with DDR4. I went with 3600 for my kit for the same reasons. Seems to be the endpoint at which you can continue to get some nice gains without going into potentially unstable territory with the 4000+ kits.

Oct 27, 2017
So my new Ryzen 3900x build just randomly went down and wont give me a motherboard flash screen. I wasnt using the pc, just working when I noticed it shut down. I tried to power it back on, everything lit up, fans started the spin, but no motherboard splash screen. I removed the cmos battery, tried different ram slots, new display port cable, hdmi cable, new monitor, took out the gpu and tried the motherboard hdmi. No luck. Any sugges for further trouble shooting?

Ryzen 3900x stock
gtx 1080 stock
asus x570 pro
corsair lpx 32 gb 3200mhz
samsung 970 ssd nvme

Kind of at a loss atm. My pc has been running well since I built it last week.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So my new Ryzen 3900x build just randomly went down and wont give me a motherboard flash screen. I wasnt using the pc, just working when I noticed it shut down. I tried to power it back on, everything lit up, fans started the spin, but no motherboard splash screen. I removed the cmos battery, tried different ram slots, new display port cable, hdmi cable, new monitor, took out the gpu and tried the motherboard hdmi. No luck. Any sugges for further trouble shooting?

Ryzen 3900x stock
gtx 1080 stock
asus x570 pro
samsung 970 ssd nvme

The motherboard hdmi won't give you anything because there's no iGPU on the 3900x
I'd say to trey to find another gpu and use that.

Oct 27, 2017
So I've got a question, I bought an m.2 ssd, and my mobo has two ports, both can be either sata or nvme, and both use the chipset.
Is there any performance penalty if I use the farthest one? It has much more space (the top one is in between the gpu and cpu heatsink) so the temps should be much better.
Also, the motherboard doesn't have any m.2 shield, so I was looking into that. I have some tiny heatsinks that should be perfect for the size of the chips, but EWKB has some full body heatsinks that look awesome. Has anyone used them?
And last, it is a QLC ssd, so it's pretty bad in performace (but it was 88€ for 1TB, can't complain), would it make sense to use it as a main OS drive instead of the Crucial MX100 I am currently using or should I only use it for fast storage? (games mostly)

Your motherboard manual should specify which M.2 port is supposed to be used first, and which might give you a penalty with PCIE/SATA.

It is unlikely that you need the M.2 heatsink. You should run a memory test to measure temperatures and if there is any throttling.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Your motherboard manual should specify which M.2 port is supposed to be used first, and which might give you a penalty with PCIE/SATA.

It is unlikely that you need the M.2 heatsink. You should run a memory test to measure temperatures and if there is any throttling.
Well, it will arrive Monday, so for now I am only speculating, but I want to know my options.
Will look at the motherboard manual again.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Ryzen 3900x stock
gtx 1080 stock
asus x570 pro
samsung 970 ssd nvme

Looking online, there should be a Q Code at the bottom of the BM that displays 2 Digits/Letters, see which ones it gives you when it gets stuck. Look in manual, will tell you why

OXLxmHb.png

Status
Not open for further replies.