• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Yea I got the i9-9900K already. I was going to go with the 3700x but I already made the decision to get the i9 due to the motherboard. I originally wanted a 3900x but fuck man. It is good and I can't wait.

I planned on getting HDD for externals not internal. I am going to get a 2nd SSD sometimes in February or so.

Wait, you don't think the PS5/Scarlett will be a 2070 Super Equivalent in terms of GPU?
5700XT is pretty close to 2070S in performance.

And to add, consoles can't physically get to that high level of performance due to price and thermals.

They will have custom solutions at both the hardware and software levels to optimize gaming as they're not desktop PC's that need to do other tasks, so they gain additional headroom there.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I created that res too , just now. I just dont know what should i pick. GPU or TV itself doing the scaling. Like Seems it would impact performance if choosing gpu, but TVs own scaler might not be as good?

What looked best for me was having the nvidia control panel and windows display settings at 1800p, but not adjusting the TV's UHD setting (so left it at 4K).

So in other words, leave the TV to handle the upscaling.

When in game, you can use image sharpening to enhance the image quality without a hit to performance.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
What software are people with a 5700/5700XT to control fan speeds and monitor temps and such? I'm getting screen flicker when using MSI Afterburner to set a fan curve (read people having same issue), and the AMD Overdrive app is begging for another BSOD issue. Just using Core Temp to monitor the CPU, but not sure what to use for an AMD GPU.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
How well a Ryzen 7 3700x pairs with a rtx 2080ti?
Im looking to build a new pc and the ryzen is really cheap here were i live
It's a fairly new and very fast/capable CPU so I'm guessing it performs just as well as say, high end Intel CPU's when going with settings you would normally use with a 2080 Ti (usually max settings at high resolutions). It's only when pairing really fast GPUs with slow or really old CPUs will this be a problem.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Eyyyy, I'm utter trash at choosing displays. I'm looking for a good 1440p monitor for around $300 usd. 27" or so, but preferably no larger than 30". I've done some research but have quickly become a bit overwhelmed. Specs areRyzen 2600, 16GB ram, GTX 960 which I am upgrading soon. Anyone got any tips? What displays do you use Era?

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone recommend a decent quality but cheapo wireless mouse?
Is $40 cheap? If you want a long lasting, nice size, comfortable mouse with a great build quality there is the Logitech G602. The Logitech M510 is about half that if you want to go even cheaper and smaller.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Hey not sure if this is the right place to ask but Im looking at getting a custom pc. I havent had a pc since 1998 so a lot has obviosuly changed.

Im looking to mainly play fps games. At 1080p but want minimum 60fps.
I think im set on a GTX 1660 graphics card. But im torn between two CPU's....
Do I pick the Ryzen 3 3200 3.6ghz quad core or do I pay more for the Ryzen 5 3600 3.6ghz Hexa core?
Also would a 600w power supply be enough for this build? Any help greatly appreciated.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Eyyyy, I'm utter trash at choosing displays. I'm looking for a good 1440p monitor for around $300 usd. 27" or so, but preferably no larger than 30". I've done some research but have quickly become a bit overwhelmed. Specs areRyzen 2600, 16GB ram, GTX 960 which I am upgrading soon. Anyone got any tips? What displays do you use Era?
This isn't a 27" it's 24" but it is an excellent monitor. I use it as a secondary and love it. It's 1440p, 144hz native with overclock to 165hz Gsync

Dell S2417DG it's 316 on Newegg right now.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Check out the VIOTEK GFT27DB for $280 at Amazon and see what boxes that ticks for you. I haven't had it long enough to give it anything close to a review, but it's blown me away so far, coming from a 10 year old 23-24 inch. Only negative about it for me is the cheap stand, but I knew that before I bought it.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a 27" it's 24" but it is an excellent monitor. I use it as a secondary and love it. It's 1440p, 144hz native with overclock to 165hz Gsync

Dell S2417DG it's 316 on Newegg right now.
Check out the VIOTEK GFT27DB for $280 at Amazon and see what boxes that ticks for you. I haven't had it long enough to give it anything close to a review, but it's blown me away so far, coming from a 10 year old 23-24 inch. Only negative about it for me is the cheap stand, but I knew that before I bought it.
Awesome, thanks!

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, figuring out the power supply issue a bit better. Turns out the Corsair RM850x has had a few revisions, so the specs I was looking at don't match what I actually own. I've got this from 2016. Near as I can tell it's only got the one PCIe power output and the rest are "peripheral & SATA". For everyone who needs a spare half-dozen SATA devices in their case, I guess.

I would like to be done with this upgrade but apparently it's never ending.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, figuring out the power supply issue a bit better. Turns out the Corsair RM850x has had a few revisions, so the specs I was looking at don't match what I actually own. I've got this from 2016. Near as I can tell it's only got the one PCIe power output and the rest are "peripheral & SATA". For everyone who needs a spare half-dozen SATA devices in their case, I guess.

I would like to be done with this upgrade but apparently it's never ending.

Says that it has 6 on the website. I highly doubt that ANY PSU over 500W could have only one PCIE connector. Sometimes they have one cable, but it is double: has two PCIE connectors on the end.

I got fucked by Corsair once. They had 3 TX650 revisions: V1, V2 and V3. Bought based on the reviews of V2, which was a Seasonic made, but instead got the V3 which was a worse manufacturer.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Says that it has 6 on the website. I highly doubt that ANY PSU over 500W could have only one PCIE connector. Sometimes they have one cable, but it is double: has two PCIE connectors on the end.

I got fucked by Corsair once. They had 3 TX650 revisions: V1, V2 and V3. Bought based on the reviews of V2, which was a Seasonic made, but instead got the V3 which was a worse manufacturer.

What I'm working with is this-

17-139-141-04.jpg

I'd actually be happy if the "6+2 PCI-E+4 CPU" section referred to the ports above and below the text. I was assuming above-text-only due to the way the bottom row is labeled, but that does leave the middle row of ports a mystery. A little fuzzy how the CPU, which wants ATX, would work from the same ports. I'm typing on the PC using this power supply right now, though, and it seems happy enough.

Just for clarification- A couple of days ago when I used my Rift the USB ports kept blinking in and out. I'm acting on the assumption this is a power-related issue, seeing as right now I'm using a 6+2 PCIe cable to run the poor 2080 Super. It was good for the old GeForce 980 I had and I didn't realize until further research that wasn't going to fly for the 2080. Right now I'm doing nothing that pushes the card, VR isn't happening until I get the two 8pin PCIe cables hooked up, and the system works seems to be working well enough so long as I don't push it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Is there any place to buy used hardware with reasonable confidence, or is it as bad an idea as it sounds?
Online I trust this site and /r/hardwareswap, ebay is a no go for me.
But retailers like Frys/Micro Center also have used/p

Is Corsair's case fans good? And is it compatible with NZXT case?
Depending on what size and aethestics I recommend these

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Are the builds in the OP up to date? I'm replacing my main desktop from about 4 years ago which was an i7-440 @ 4ghz and GTX 980x2 SLI. Need to buy parts by the end of the month.

My current build has one 512gb SSD, and a legacy 1 TB and 2 TB SATA3 HDDs. Thinking my new build I'd like to have a new 1 TB SSD + my existing 512gb SSD and buy a new 4TB SATA3 drive and move my 1 TB and 2 TB SATA3 hard content to it as a storage drive for non-installed programs.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
New Alienware monitor delivered! Got a few more hours of work before I can set it up, but excited to finally see what Gsync and >60fps looks like!

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Are the builds in the OP up to date? I'm replacing my main desktop from about 4 years ago which was an i7-440 @ 4ghz and GTX 980x2 SLI. Need to buy parts by the end of the month.

My current build has one 512gb SSD, and a legacy 1 TB and 2 TB SATA3 HDDs. Thinking my new build I'd like to have a new 1 TB SSD + my existing 512gb SSD and buy a new 4TB SATA3 drive and move my 1 TB and 2 TB SATA3 hard content to it as a storage drive for non-installed programs.

The builds are good and regularly updated. I just did an upgrade a couple weeks ago and, when checking a few things, noticed the recommended RAM was different from when I bought my parts.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any place to buy used hardware with reasonable confidence, or is it as bad an idea as it sounds?
What were you looking to get? Check the sales thread here first. I have had no issues buying used parts from others here but avoid paying via gift for expensive hardware. Amazon is also a good option though sometimes you don't save much. Their warehouse used PC parts are often just returns.

Also, I would say EBay is also a good option as EBay and PayPal will have your back more than the seller.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
How bad are air bubbles in a closed loop cooler (Kraken X72)?

Performance-wise, it seems fine. Temps never hit 40 c, even under load, same as when I first got it a month ago, but if I open my case I hear a faint crackling noise that seems pretty consistent with air bubbles.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

I have a ton of stuff that I've procrastinated listing.. just sold a monitor last week or so.

Shoot me a PM with what sort of parts you're looking for and I can either try to help or make a listing on the BST thread over the weekend.

Last edited:

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently rocking an i5 4560k and a Geforce 970. I'm in no huge rush to upgrade, but I'd probably like to do a refresh in the next 6-12 months.

I'm thinking of sticking with Game Pass, and so I want to eventually get to a place where i can play ports from the next gen of consoles well at 4k.

With that in mind, I'd like to have a checklist for features you'd want to future-proof yourself against games that target the new console spec. I'm guessing you'd definitely want an SSD, but what about an RTX card? Is there a particular thread/core count minimum you'd want to hit with your CPU? etc.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm okay, thanks! What about the Samsungs, or is the Crucial just fine for regular use?

I have both samsung and crucial (literally side by side in the same PC) and don't notice any difference in gaming. Both have been reliable.

I have a WD SSD in my PS4 and that's also been fine.

my boot drive is also a crucial m2 and still going strong after nearly 3 years.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have both samsung and crucial (literally side by side in the same PC) and don't notice any difference in gaming. Both have been reliable.

I have a WD SSD in my PS4 and that's also been fine.

my boot drive is also a crucial m2 and still going strong after nearly 3 years.
Sadly I have an old-ish MB from 2014 so supposedly using nvme won't do much for me (and apparently there are boot issues too). I'll go with Crucial, thanks.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
velcdoraptor 10k rpm
I planned on getting HDD for externals not internal.

I'm not quite clear if you have dropped the bad idea of the WD Velociraptor or not, but you certainly should. There is no reason outside some very specific use cases to buy a high rpm HDD these days. And using one externally instead of an external SSD is just asking for trouble for no benefit at all.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I have an i7 6700k @ 4.2ghz and a GTX 1070. I currently play everything at 1080p/60, but I'm thinking about 144hz.
Is it worth getting a 1440p 144hz gsync monitor with this setup or would I need a better GPU?

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have an i7 6700k @ 4.2ghz and a GTX 1070. I currently play everything at 1080p/60, but I'm thinking about 144hz.
Is it worth getting a 1440p 144hz gsync monitor with this setup or would I need a better GPU?

1070 is still a great card but you will need something beefier to hit anywhere close 144hz in some of the latest games even at 1080p. That said, a G-Sync or even a FreeSync(your 1070 now supports it) monitor is still a great investment and you will still see some benefits with that 1070. I say go for it.
Question. I got the i9-9900KF instead of the 9900K. Is this bad?
Not really if you paid less. Only difference really is that it does not have an IGP.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
1070 is still a great card but you will need something beefier to hit anywhere close 144hz in some of the latest games even at 1080p. That said, a G-Sync or even a FreeSync(your 1070 now supports it) monitor is still a great investment and you will still see some benefits with that 1070. I say go for it.

Not really if you paid less. Only difference really is that it does not have an IGP.

I did pay less but I wanna know if it is going to screw up my PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.