• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Stay safe out there, folks. And remember, a used GTX 1080 Ti isn't cheap, but you'll still have enough money for food and water while you wait for the planet to freeze over.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
Hello,
I have a 1080Ti and i7 6700k. Do you think it would be worth it (performance wise...) to upgrade for a Ryzen 3700X ? And to wait for the 2020's Nvidia cards on the GPU side.
Why now ? Because Christmas is coming, and there will be some big changes in my life next year, so probably not a lot of money/time to spend on building a new PC. So it would be better to spread expenses over and begin now. And well, I want to be ready for Cyberpunk...

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm noticing my 3700X tends to top out at around 1.44V while playing CPU-intensive games like BFV (that's peak core voltage, according to Ryzen Master). Naturally, this causes the fans to get really loud. Is there a simple way to undervolt the CPU without impacting performance too heavily, to reduce heat generated and noise made?

Last edited:

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Now here's a question, are hackintosh reliable? I built this rig with a RTX 2080 super which is not supported by any Mac OS version, would it be worth it to get a Vega 64 instead to be able to install Mac Os?

It's been years since I've run one but back then it was usually fine until the next MacOS version would break stuff. Getting it setup and working required some tinkering. I don't know if the situation is more difficult nowadays or not. But the best thing would still be to have hardware that is as compatible as possible. Motherboard and GPU are the main problem areas and ASUS was not very well regarded as a Hackintosh mobo at the time.

I just went back to using Windows 10 because I did not feel like switching operating systems when I wanted to play games. There's plenty of good video editing software for Windows.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
So this may be a rare question.. has anybody here have a current GPU SLI build? Either with GTX or RTX cards?

SLI is pretty much dead. Few games have support for it, I don't think I've seen Nvidia release SLI profiles in a while either. I used to run 2x GTX 970 and swapping to a single 980 Ti was the best decision I made. Good bye extra frame of input lag and microstutter.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
It's been years since I've run one but back then it was usually fine until the next MacOS version would break stuff. Getting it setup and working required some tinkering. I don't know if the situation is more difficult nowadays or not. But the best thing would still be to have hardware that is as compatible as possible. Motherboard and GPU are the main problem areas and ASUS was not very well regarded as a Hackintosh mobo at the time.

I just went back to using Windows 10 because I did not feel like switching operating systems when I wanted to play games. There's plenty of good video editing software for Windows.

Yeah, i'll just get used to windows again and will have to master Davinci resolve now, it seems like the better editor anyways.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Is it worth spending 120 pounds extra to upgrade to a 3700x instead of a 3600 (~300 vs 180 pounds), coming from a i7 4790k?

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't changed my motherboard in 10+ years so I'm really out of the loop. I'm hitting a brick wall with gaming as of late - here's my specs:

Xeon X5660 6 cores @ 4.2GHz
16GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 1070
Dell 144Hz monitor

I've tried to get Assassin's Creed Origins playable, but no matter the guide / troubleshooting steps I've followed I can't break 40fps at 1440p. The performance is terrible.

Before I get dogpiled on for rocking a 10+ year old CPU, keep in mind this was the X58 architecture which had some incredible legs on it. Running MSI Afterburner during the Origins benchmark my CPU hovers around an average of 76%. The occasional spike to a max of 94%, but those don't seem to coincide with the frame-rate drops. My GPU maxes out at 75% usage.

Am I CPU bottlenecked with these numbers? Would stepping up to 9700K make Origins smooth? I've got the upgrade itch, but I'll be sick if things don't improve...
This is quite the strange one. And I don't really know, but since no-one else answered I will make a suggestion and it can also serve as somewhat of a bump!

If your CPU and GPU both are showing only ~75% usage, then that suggests the bottleneck must be elsewhere. Maybe on such an old system it's RAM bandwidth? Perhaps someone else will offer a different guess. Are you sure there isn't one thread banging on 100% usage of a single core, the 75% just being an overall average?

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Is it worth spending 120 pounds extra to upgrade to a 3700x instead of a 3600 (~300 vs 180 pounds), coming from a i7 4790k?
That depends on what you're trying to do. But in a word, yes.

If you're building on a tight budget, or just doing a little bit of upgrading and trying to get current, then no.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I'm thinking of possibly setting up a media PC in my bedroom since I have a very very large number of 3rd gen i5 dells just sitting around.

2 questions
1. What is a super cheap ~24" monitor I could pick up
2. Is there a half-width, single slot, PCI power only GPU better than the 1030?

Deleted member 1813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have an idea of when the 10nm Intel desktop chips are launching? Specifically wondering if a successor to the 9900k is coming anytime soon or not.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Do we have an idea of when the 10nm Intel desktop chips are launching? Specifically wondering if a successor to the 9900k is coming anytime soon or not.

Intel is skipping 10nm and jumping straight to 7.... in 2022. Only 10nm "desktop" chip available is a mediocre i3 that is only available in their NUC's.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Lol welp I migrated to a bigger case the other day and everything was going fine save for not having a long enough SATA power cable to accomodate all my storage. I went and bought an extension and installed it, but I must have shorted something because now I'm getting power for a split second and then the PSU clicks off.
I put in an RMA ticket for the PSU, but dang, I wanted to play Outer Worlds finally

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Lol welp I migrated to a bigger case the other day and everything was going fine save for not having a long enough SATA power cable to accomodate all my storage. I went and bought an extension and installed it, but I must have shorted something because now I'm getting power for a split second and then the PSU clicks off.
I put in an RMA ticket for the PSU, but dang, I wanted to play Outer Worlds finally

That's really weird. If you don't have another set of components to test for failure I might RMA the MOBO too as that seems to be the most likely thing to have gone out to me. Have you tested the boot without the power extensions plugged into the PSU?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi all,

I have a friend who is sending me two free laptops for my children that need new SSDs installed. I plan to take two 250 GB Samsung 850 EVOs out of my main rig and put them in those laptops, then to put a 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO in the rig. The problem is I did not build the rig, the same guy who is sending me the laptops did. For whatever reason the two SSDs are in a RAID-0 configuration in there. Normally I would just pull the SSDs, put the new one in, and put a fresh install of Windows 10 on it but don't I have to do something in the BIOS to tell the rig it is no longer RAID or something? I really am at a loss here since this kind of stuff isn't something I know anything about. Here are the specs of the rig in question:

Dell Precision T5400 Tower Workstation

Motherboard: Dell 0RW203 (BIOS A11)
CPU :Intel Xeon X5470 @ 3.33 GHz [x2] (SMP)
GPU: EVGA nVidia Geforce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 4 GB
RAM: Hynix FB-DDR2 667Mhz 64 GB (8x8 GB)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250 GB [x2] (RAID 0)

Monitor: Samsung SE310 S22E310H
Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series II Stereo
PCI-e Misc. Card: Mailiya 5-Port USB 3.0 + Type-C
PCI-X Misc. Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme SB0460

Any suggestions or points in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks!
If you had a RAID-0 boot volume, then your BIOS could definitely be still looking for a RAID. This is exactly how I set up my SSDs. Can't you open your BIOS settings during startup?

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
That's really weird. If you don't have another set of components to test for failure I might RMA the MOBO too as that seems to be the most likely thing to have gone out to me. Have you tested the boot without the power extensions plugged into the PSU?
I've tested every possible combination of things I can think of, but it's always the same result. From what I've read online this is a PSU thing, and I'm hopeful that that's the case because replacing the mobo would be more of a hassle. The standby light on the mobo does turn on so????

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I've tested every possible combination of things I can think of, but it's always the same result. From what I've read online this is a PSU thing, and I'm hopeful that that's the case because replacing the mobo would be more of a hassle. The standby light on the mobo does turn on so????

It absolutely could be I've just never personally seen a PSU fail like that but I have seen those symptoms (flashes on and then shuts off) because of a MOBO issue more than once.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
I'm noticing my 3700X tends to top out at around 1.44V while playing CPU-intensive games like BFV (that's peak core voltage, according to Ryzen Master). Naturally, this causes the fans to get really loud. Is there a simple way to undervolt the CPU without impacting performance too heavily, to reduce heat generated and noise made?
Try using this new custom power plan:
In this article, we will share with you a custom power plan for Windows that should have a significant impact on your 3rd generation Ryzen processor's boosting behavior, ability to leverage favored cores even without the yet-to-be-released Windows 10 19H2, yield higher boost frequencies beyond even what AGESA 1.0.0.3ABBA achieves, and lower latencies in getting the processor to respond to workloads.

AMD's 3rd generation Ryzen processors are the most advanced desktop processors in the market today, and even without any tweaks or fixes the fastest mainstream desktop chips you can buy. The 3rd generation Ryzen processors come with an advanced and elaborate on-die power-management solution that can interact with the operating system far more frequently than older generation processors, to figure out application load and accordingly adjust the power and clock speeds of its cores.

I have written other articles for TechPowerUp in the past, related to Ryzen memory architecture and optimization. Today, I bring you the "1usmus Custom Power Plan" for 3rd generation Ryzen processors. This is a modification of the way the processor and Windows talk to each other about performance demands called CPPC (short for Collaborative Processor Performance Control), resulting in what I believe to be Precision Boost the way AMD intended: snappy and responsive, but with the ability to tell legitimate workloads from background noise. This power plan should especially benefit users of Ryzen 9 series chips, such as the Ryzen 9 3900X and upcoming Ryzen 9 3950X, and 3rd generation Ryzen Threadripper processors on the sTRX4 socket.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
RIP, I guess I'll find out when I get the PSU back. I reallllllly don't want to have to remove the CPU tho, can I RMA the mobo with it still in the socket?

No and if you did you would probably lose your CPU which wouldn't be a good time.

I'de wait for your PSU if it's that difficult to remove and since it is the only thing you theoretically touched when you added the extension cable.

Deleted member 1813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Intel is skipping 10nm and jumping straight to 7.... in 2022. Only 10nm "desktop" chip available is a mediocre i3 that is only available in their NUC's.
9900k* best gaming CPU until 2022 :P

Well then :P

I'll admit I haven't kept up with the news around new CPUs, but I had thought there would be some kind of successor to the 9900k (10nm or otherwise) launching in the first half of 2020.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I got stuck at step one.
You have to set the following in your BIOS, under "CPU Features" or "AMD_CBS":
  • Global C-state Control = Enabled
  • Power Supply Idle Control = Low Current Idle
  • CPPC = Enabled
  • CPPC Preferred Cores = Enabled
  • AMD Cool'n'Quiet = Enabled
  • PPC Adjustment = PState 0
The article says that the latter two aren't strictly necessary, but I can't find CPPC or CPPC Preferred Cores. I've got the latest BIOS version for my ASUS TUF X570 Plus, but even with the search feature I couldn't find half the settings I need to toggle.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the first part for my new PC. A Ryzen 5 3600 for $182 after tax. I'm gonna build in a FractalDesign Node 202, unless I can find a better console-size ITX case by Cyber Monday.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought a dell 2719dgf, which is meets all those requirements except it's freesync, but numerous reviews say it works with gsync as well. It was the equivalent of $300 USD. It's arriving next week and I will post my initial impressions then.

I looked at other models obviously but just like how you described in your post, I didn't want something that looks like a gamer aesthetic, had a reliable long warranty, and was both freesync and gsync compatible for a future proofing. 1440P was a must.

The other model to consider is the LG 650, I can't remember the exact model, but it's well reviewed.

having said that, I don't take screen/tv/monitor reviews very seriously because I tend to not agree with them in my own experience.
anyone have a good 2k or 1080p 144hz monitor to recommend

Quoting myself and as a reminder to myself to respond to MrGerbils I finally got a chance to test out the dell 2719 dgf (freesync) with an nvidia 2070S - yeah I'm keeping it. 1440p and 155 overclocked - it works seamlessly and with gsync too. Seemed a bit bright out of the box but looked up some calibration opinions on reddit and other places and found a nice middle ground. For the equivalent of around $300 USD shipped in less than a week with a 3 yr warranty I'm happy with it. No dead pixels and uniform color. Quite happy.

I was a little apprehensive because the reviews were mixed, but now I currently disagree with most of the reviews for this model however those were written many months ago. Manufactured in September so presumably they've had a little while now to iron out any supposed flaws that the reviews brought up? I simply didn't see any glaring issues the reviews mentioned. Who knows? Seems fine to me.

The alternative model - lg 850 - being quoted is unfortunately ~50% more expensive where I live so it was pulled from consideration.

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quoting myself and as a reminder to myself to respond to MrGerbils I finally got a chance to test out the dell 2719 dgf (freesync) with an nvidia 2070S - yeah I'm keeping it. 1440p and 155 overclocked - it works seamlessly and with gsync too. Seemed a bit bright out of the box but looked up some calibration opinions on reddit and other places and found a nice middle ground. For the equivalent of around $300 USD shipped in less than a week with a 3 yr warranty I'm happy with it. No dead pixels and uniform color. Quite happy.

I was a little apprehensive because the reviews were mixed, but now I currently disagree with most of the reviews for this model however those were written many months ago. Manufactured in September so presumably they've had a little while now to iron out any supposed flaws that the reviews brought up? I simply didn't see any glaring issues the reviews mentioned. Who knows? Seems fine to me.

The alternative model - lg 850 - being quoted is unfortunately ~50% more expensive where I live so it was pulled from consideration.

Thank you for the original suggestion and the follow up! I think Im gonna pick one up.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any good PC benchmarking software out there? My new build (3700x and 2070 Super) just feels a little... off. Want to see what sort of scores I get compared to what I should be getting. Does that even make sense?

Edit - googling suggests 3DMark and PCMark? Are these ones ok?

Last edited:

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand

Ooh, thanks for the cool suggestion! How is the TN panel treating you? I've been in the market for a monitor like this but have been looking exclusively at IPS' because of the better quality

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Is there any good PC benchmarking software out there? My new build (3700x and 2070 Super) just feels a little... off. Want to see what sort of scores I get compared to what I should be getting. Does that even make sense?

Edit - googling suggests 3DMark and PCMark? Are these ones ok?
I'd also suggest Unigine Heaven/Superposition for GPU performance, Realbench for CPU.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Is HW monitor reliable?

I have a 9900k with Corsair water cooler (two fan), and when under heavy load it goes up to 80+ C (one time was above 90+ C), since it can then drop in like a second from 90 - 60, and increase from 40 -> 80.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soooooo....

3950X and new Threadrippers to be announced in a presser today for release a week later, right?

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Is HW monitor reliable?

I have a 9900k with Corsair water cooler (two fan), and when under heavy load it goes up to 80+ C (one time was above 90+ C), since it can then drop in like a second from 90 - 60, and increase from 40 -> 80.
Usually it is, but it relies on your mobo's sensors. Those may vary. My experience with watercooling isn't that it keeps load temps much lower than good air coolers, but that it cools your CPU pretty quickly when not under load. I also seem to remember something about the 9900k getting pretty hot?

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Usually it is, but it relies on your mobo's sensors. Those may vary. My experience with watercooling isn't that it keeps load temps much lower than good air coolers, but that it cools your CPU pretty quickly when not under load. I also seem to remember something about the 9900k getting pretty hot?

Hm OK! Thanks.

Will look into it a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.