• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I went with 32 GB in my build from a week ago. Im liking it. Lots of overhead for the future, and like you said. Its dirt cheap, theres not really any reason not to do it. I love opening the system menu and seeing 12 GB out of 32 used.

OTOH I was convinced my 9900KS was going to be a furnace. but a Noctua D15 (Black Chromax version) is keeping it super cool while gaming. I cannot find ANYTHING outside of hardcore stress testing that approaches the 100 degree temps people say they get.

Im starting to think those extreme CPU stress tests are useless for real life temps. Nothing you do is going to push the cpu to those temps. Not even blender is pushing me that far. The chip is nice and fine. Glad I didnt bother with an AIO.

Yeah I got a 9900K and the temps are overstated with the Noctua D15. Maybe things would be different with a different HSF, but the temps are in line with my far inferior 6600K. Maybe the HSF is just so good that it can dissipate many times the wattage heat without even increasing fan RPMs? Put this HSF on battleships...

Also playing RDR2 I'm not even hitting 100% CPU on a single of the 16 threads even for a moment over a play session (meaning the CPU is really underutilized).

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
I was also worried when I upgraded to a 9900K that it was going to be really hot, so I haven't done any OCing or anything (and I probably won't - I'm not seeing the gains worth the extra heat in any case) but with a D15 this thing is 5 degrees cooler at rest than my previous CPU, an i7-4770K.

Right now while just browsing the web, all 8 cores are at 27-29C and while playing The Outer Worlds (Ultra) for 90 minutes the highest they ever got was 52, looks like (HWMonitor). That's at stock 4.7Ghz though. Actually, I did think the stock was 4.6Ghz and I'm showing 4.7, so maybe the BIOS did some light OCing on its own or something?

Anyway, the take away here is the D15 is an absolute beast and worth every penny. Cooler than most AIO's from what I saw doing my research, and half the price.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call it future proof because it is 8c/8t. RDR2 is probably the only game out right now that will truly benefit from hyperthreading but next gen consoles will be 8c/16t with much lower clock speed than 9700K. So it will be a bit of a mystery if it can bruteforce through heavily multithreaded games in the future. Most likely it will be fine but at this point I recommend the Ryzen 3700X instead as at least here it's cheaper, offers more threads and performs almost as well for single thread and better for multithread tasks.

Had not even considered Ryzen. Been an Intel user all my life.

Basically 5-10% less performance now for potentially better performance in the future?

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I was also worried when I upgraded to a 9900K that it was going to be really hot, so I haven't done any OCing or anything (and I probably won't - I'm not seeing the gains worth the extra heat in any case) but with a D15 this thing is 5 degrees cooler at rest than my previous CPU, an i7-4770K.

Right now while just browsing the web, all 8 cores are at 27-29C and while playing The Outer Worlds (Ultra) for 90 minutes the highest they ever got was 52, looks like (HWMonitor). That's at stock 4.7Ghz though. Actually, I did think the stock was 4.6Ghz and I'm showing 4.7, so maybe the BIOS did some light OCing on its own or something?

Anyway, the take away here is the D15 is an absolute beast and worth every penny. Cooler than most AIO's from what I saw doing my research, and half the price.
If you have an Asus motherboard, there is something called multicore enhancement which extends the turbo boost from one core and applies it to all cores. I am pretty sure that other board partners have something similar.

Twelvy

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
Hello

I'm thinking of building a PC. The specs aren't locked yet but I'll likely go for a Ryzen 3700X, a RTX 2070 (or 2060) Super and a X570 motherboard.
I was looking at microATX ones but the choice is really limited...
Should I go for ATX (so go for a bigger case) or will an mini ITX be ok. I know it has less connectors for GPUs and RAM. Are there usually other drawbacks with ITX (performance wise / bandwidth etc.) or is it perfectly possible to find an ITX that matches ATX?

Thanks!

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
best way to test overclocked ram stability?

went from 2133 to 2400, tried 3200 for shits and giggles earlier but it obviously didnt post

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
so i picked up my 2080S from microcenter yesterday and after i installed it i tried to enter the modern warfare code that was printed on the receipt. their font makes the letter 'l' and the number '1' as well as the letter 'O' and number '0' look so similar that i failed at entering the code at least 5x. i wondered if i would need to contact nvidia for help but i eventually got it to work. real id 10 t test

Athreous

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Guys, for 1080p gaming on ultra, what config would you recommend? keeping 60 fps.
Please, as cheap as possible but with fps and graphics in mind! :D

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Had not even considered Ryzen. Been an Intel user all my life.

Basically 5-10% less performance now for potentially better performance in the future?
No. games don't require a bunch of threads or hyperthreading.

A few will perform better with it, most won't at all, and the issue is entirely overblown. Whereas a similarly positioned Intel chip performs better in the MAJORITY of games.

Games are not going to suddenly require more than an 8-core processor anytime in the near future, no matter what anyone says.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Does it affect overall performance if you connect a third computer (in extended mode) on a PC?

Right now I have two screens on my pc... My main one (1440p) is using Display Port and my second one is using HDMI (1080p). I have been using an HDMI splitter for a while on that second monitor so that I can split the signal and also send it to my TV... This works well enough if I want to play a PC game on my TV. I put it on my second monitor and turn off the monitor (to not see the game in my peripheral vision) and change the input on my TV.

The problem obviously is that this monopolize one of my monitor while I'm playing a game...

Now I'm thinking of maybe instead plug in my TV directly into the videocard (a GTX 1080) and use it as a third monitor so that way I could still have stuff running on my 2 "normal" monitors while I'm playing a game on my TV... I'm just not sure what effect (if any) it could have on the rest of my PC.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017

A few will perform better with it, most won't at all, and the issue is entirely overblown. Whereas a similarly positioned Intel chip performs better in the MAJORITY of games.

Games are not going to suddenly require more than an 8-core processor anytime in the near future, no matter what anyone says.

Damn. I was on board with Ryzen. Someone chime in and decide for me.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I was on board with Ryzen. Someone chime in and decide for me.
Look it up on reputable youtube channels like Gamers Nexus or Hardware Unboxed. The tl;dr is that the difference in gaming is negligible with Zen 2 (or null since you'll most likely be gpu bound well before that point) and, yes, SMT/hyperthreading is recommended since games do use those threads and will be taking advantage of them even more in the coming years. The 3700X is a really good gaming/productivity cpu, but in terms of value the 3600 is unbeatable.

I'm new to pc building and i have a question.
I just got a pc( Ryzen 5 3600/2X 8 GB 3200 RAM) and just bought a LG 29" ultrawide monitor, the next step is a good video card.
Will Vega 56 be enough for ultrawide 2560 x 1080 or RX 5700 navi will be a better option?

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I've using 3770k for a while now. I just want something that will have just as much longevity.
You should get either a Ryzen 3700X or an Intel 9700K. Those are the two recommended modern gaming CPUs. The 9700K is currently the best gaming processor you can get for your money at $300+. But it has 8 cores/8 threads and some people prefer 8C/16T found inside the 3700X in case games make more use of multithreading in the future.

The 9900KS is the best gaming processor out there but it costs $570.

Ryzen has been popular for people that multitask on their systems. Like if you wanted to stream while you play games.

Tekniqs

Oct 26, 2017
hey guys, i put together a possible build here. Any suggestions on changes? perhaps to make it cheaper haha! I mostly game on my PC. edit photos/videos every now and then (mostly vacation related stuff).

possible build

wondering if i should jump to a 3600x or even a 3700x...

can anyone comment on this? really not sure which cpu to go with.

edit: maybe even go with 96/700k based build

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
can anyone comment on this? really not sure which cpu to go with.

edit: maybe even go with 96/700k based build
New builds are mostly deciding between the 3600/9600K and the 3700X/9700K tiers. If your goal is to keep costs low than you should get either a Ryzen 3600 or an Intel 9600K. If you are mostly gaming on your computer than the 9600K would be the recommend purchase. Some people downgrade to a i5-9400F to make their build even cheaper.

Tekniqs

Oct 26, 2017
New builds are mostly deciding between the 3600/9600K and the 3700X/9700K tiers. If your goal is to keep costs low than you should get either a Ryzen 3600 or an Intel 9600K. If you are mostly gaming on your computer than the 9600K would be the recommend purchase. Some people downgrade to a i5-9400F to make their build even cheaper.
thanks!

Oct 29, 2017
If you're looking to make it cheaper, the AIO water cooling is completely unnecessary for an AMD Ryzen - they include a perfectly adequate air cooler.
The 3600X does, but the 3600 comes with one smaller, so I think at least for people who get a 3600 to OC it and match the 3600X it would be better getting something at least as good as the cooler that comes with 3600X or a bit better like say a $36 Cooler Master and whatnot.

Oct 29, 2017
Just monitored my CPU temps while gaming for about an hour, got up to 73C max. This is normal enough right?
73C is not hot enough to throttle so it was working normally at that temperature as far as the CPU is concerned.

On the other hand, I couldn't say if you should have lower temperatureS than that. Depends on your cooler, your case, your GPU, airflow, etc. 73 would be normal for plenty of case and cooler combinations, for others it could mean your airflow is not optimal.

Last edited:

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
My dad asked me to build a new PC for him. He doesn't want to spend too much. He isn't going to play games on this PC, it's more like for daily usage (surfing the web, ms office etc) and very amateurish video editing but he still wants to have a dedicated GPU. So I took a look at the cheapest PC and wanted to ask, are there still any parts where I could save some money since it won't be a gaming pc? Also, 8GB ram for this or 16gb?

Oct 29, 2017
My dad asked me to build a new PC for him. He doesn't want to spend too much. He isn't going to play games on this PC, it's more like for daily usage (surfing the web, ms office etc) and very amateurish video editing but he still wants to have a dedicated GPU. So I took a look at the cheapest PC and wanted to ask, are there still any parts where I could save some money since it won't be a gaming pc? Also, 8GB ram for this or 16gb?
You can go cheaper that the cheapest build in the OP by switching the 2400G for an Athlon 200GE.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017

Would help to know what he's running currently, so you don't end up building something new that's not much of an upgrade.

AMD is releasing the 3000G in nine days, which is a low-core part with integrated graphics (essentially a refresh to the 200GE mentioned above). It's only $49, so we're talking true bottom-of-the-rung stuff here. Most people would probably do fine with something like that for light desktop use iff you're extremely budget-concious.

Frankfurter

Oct 27, 2017

It's not so much about games *requiring* more than 8 threads in the future, but games *performing* better with more than 8 threads. Same arguments have been made that we'd never need more than 1, 2, 4, 6 etc. threads, but here we are in a situation where imo say a 6 core/6 threads CPU is a pretty terrible buy.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
You can go cheaper that the cheapest build in the OP by switching the 2400G for an Athlon 200GE.
Would help to know what he's running currently, so you don't end up building something new that's not much of an upgrade.

AMD is releasing the 3000G in nine days, which is a low-core part with integrated graphics (essentially a refresh to the 200GE mentioned above). It's only $49, so we're talking true bottom-of-the-rung stuff here. Most people would probably do fine with something like that for light desktop use iff you're extremely budget-concious.
Literally a 10 year old system with an AMD Phenom and a Radeon GPU. Thanks you two btw but I think I will still go with a 2400G in this case.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
It's not so much about games *requiring* more than 8 threads in the future, but games *performing* better with more than 8 threads. Same arguments have been made that we'd never need more than 1, 2, 4, 6 etc. threads, but here we are in a situation where imo say a 6 core/6 threads CPU is a pretty terrible buy.

That evolution has happened incredibly slowly and a 6 core CPU is still great in the vast majority of games. Regardless, the 9700k is NOT a 6 core CPU as was suggested above. The 9400F is 6 core and a great value.

And if you want to read about how SMT or hyperthreading works for games, it's been analyzed a number of times.

Regardless, there are plenty of great parts, both Intel and AMD.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
No we don't. Plus the same people who say that 8 threads in the 9700K isn't enough will recommend the 3600 as a value purchase in their next breath even though it only has 6 cores. That's how you know that it's nothing but personal bias.

macindc

Oct 27, 2017
That evolution has happened incredibly slowly and a 6 core CPU is still great in the vast majority of games. Regardless, the 9700k is NOT a 6 core CPU as was suggested above. The 9400F is 6 core and a great value.

And if you want to read about how SMT or hyperthreading works for games, it's been analyzed a number of times.

I think we're going to see that evolution accelerate as the next gen consoles come out. Both will be AMD-based, and the rumor mill is that both will be 8 cores/16 threads. If that bears out, you're going to see a lot more games on PC start to use as many threads as they can.

Frankfurter

Oct 27, 2017
No we don't. Plus the same people who say that 8 threads in the 9700K isn't enough will recommend the 3600 as a value purchase in their next breath even though it only has 6 cores. That's how you know that it's nothing but personal bias.

The 3600 is a 6C/12T CPU and much cheaper than the 9700K. So of course people could have quite a good point in recommending it over the 9700K. Single threaded performance of course is quite significantly better on the 9700K.

True, but for how long? If I had to buy a CPU that's supposed to last me for, say, 4 or 5 years, I wouldn't focus solely on todays performance, but on how performance will probably be in a couple of years (once I actually encounter my CPU being the limiting factor). And then I wouldn''t look too much into avg. fps, but more into lows, which is where, say, 6C/6T CPUs are already in trouble nowadays in a few games. The more cores/threads you got the more headroom you have for the future, but at the same time of course most of those extra cores don't do much right now.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
The 3600 is a 6C/12T CPU and much cheaper than the 9700K. So of course people could have quite a good point in recommending it over the 9700K. Single threaded performance of course is quite significantly better on the 9700K.
And the 9600K is significantly better than it for gaming performance, at the same price.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

True, but for how long? If I had to buy a CPU that's supposed to last me for, say, 4 or 5 years, I wouldn't focus solely on todays performance, but on how performance will probably be in a couple of years (once I actually encounter my CPU being the limiting factor). And then I wouldn''t look too much into avg. fps, but more into lows, which is where, say, 6C/6T CPUs are already in trouble nowadays in a few games. The more cores/threads you got the more headroom you have for the future, but at the same time of course most of those extra cores don't do much right now.

I'm not advocating that people buy 6 core CPUs from either company, in fact I'm sitting here using a 9900k. My main point is that SMT and hyperthreading aren't likely to make any earth shaking differences. I'll be shocked if the 3700X is outperforming the 9700k in a few years (game wise).

I mentioned the 9400F because someone previously had posted as if the 9700k was a 6 core part. If you have to make budget choices then it's a solid part.

Again, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with buying a 3700X. It's a great CPU, particularly if you have other heavy lifting to do. But people here seem to have an AMD bias against both Intel and Nvidia. If someone is comfortable with Intel from previous usage, there's nothing wrong with the 9700k.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.