• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I just ordered all the stuff for my first pc build in years. Also, my first AMD build since like..2004?

I was going for budget build for 1080p60 and here's what I got:

Case: NZXT H510 ($70)
Processor: Ryzen 2600 ($115)
Video Card: RX 580 Sapphire Nitro 8gb ($120)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16gb ($65)
Motherboard: Asus Prime B450m ($77)
Power supply: Corsair CX 750 ($55)
SSD: Adata 240GB SSD ($29)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD ($50)

Grand total right at $600

Last edited:

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Well, I just ordered all the stuff for my first pc build in years. Also, my first AMD build since like..2004?

I was going for budget build for 1080p60 and here's what I got:

Case: NZXT H510 ($70)
Processor: Ryzen 2600 ($115)
Video Card: RX 580 Sapphire Nitro 8gb ($120)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16gb ($65)
Motherboard: Asus Prime B450m ($77)
Power supply: Corsair CX 750 ($55)
SSD: Adata 240GB SSD ($29)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD ($50)

Grand total right at $600
That's pretty good for the price. Especially snagging that GPU at $120.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
IO shields are fucking cursed. I'd pay an extra $10-20 for a variant of any motherboard I'm buying that comes with the IO shield already on the board, instead of being affixed to the case.

You have no idea how long I spent fumbling around with that thing. It was the majority of the time I built lol. Good news is that I'm done now and it posted. I'm running the Time Spy stress test now to make sure the 5700 xt is ok.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
i'll keep that in mind once I get everything.

As for the cooler, what really should I be looking for? Primarily trying to buy everything at once, and spend as little as possible. Also, not planning on overclocking, but will probably push games as hard as I can graphically.

If you arent going to overclock then I wouldn't spend more than ~50 bucks. Just look at 2019 air cooler benchmarks and pick whatever is recommended in the 40-50 range.

but also... just overclock it a little bit to 4.8 or 4.9. itll be fine.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
They have good deals on processors, sometimes motherboards. SSDs are attractively priced there as well. But honestly a lot of stuff is very expensive. Their AIO coolers, power supplies, and RAM are all VERY expensive. There is no savings to be had at all on their cases either. There's a huge markup for profit margin on all of that stuff. High-end GPUs never have any special pricing, and they don't get discounted often either.

Basically they get you in the door with the core component pricing. Then the accessories are all quite spendy.

I mean...ok.

It's still a cool store and all.

I buy my motherboards exclusively through them. I've had some issues in the past, and I'm able to go right up the street, exchange it, and walk out with a replacement in 5 minutes. Pretty great.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I think I finally need to look for a USB hub, just for all the dongles for my inputs. So far it's:
  1. My Steam Controller dongle
  2. My keyboard dongle (I'm on a TV setup so I sit pretty far away from the tower)
  3. My mouse dongle
  4. A Mayflash converter
  5. I could still go back to using my Xbox One controller dongle
  6. What if I get a 2.4GHz 8BitDo controller or something?
I'm basically out of USB ports. Is there some kind of high-quality USB hub that's sure not to introduce more input-lag or something?

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Ryzen 3700x system up and running. Pretty smooth installation of everything involved.

I was a little hesitant sticking with the stock cooler but I'm glad I didn't invest in anything else. It seems fairly solid and not very audible.

So being a first time Ryzen user. I'm a little confused about the auto overclock on this thing. Is there anything I have to do on my end to enable it? I've seen the clock go up with usage, but not quiet hitting the advertised 4.4ghz. This behavious normal? Or did a neglect some kind of bios setting that must be enabled?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
To anyone making a new build; I cannot recommend the NZXT H510 enough. It was super easy to build in. Motherboard stands were pre-installed and there is a ton of room for cable management. Instead of having a handful of connectors for the front panel they had an all in one. Also, it includes 2 fans. I'm extremely satisfied.

If you're shopping for a new motherboard I would suggest avoiding the Asus X570 P model. The heatsink sits directly behind the GPU. I'm not sure if that's a good spot, but hopefully it lasts.

No one told me the RX 5700 XT was a pretty decent 4K card. I currently have the PC hooked up to my 4K television and every game I've thrown at it has been on Ultra averaging 60 fps. Gears 5 looks fantastic with ultra textures.

Apr 24, 2018
Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding a 4k monitor with decent HDR, 27"-32" in size, thats less then a grand Canadian? 600$ or less would be nice...

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Ryzen 3700x system up and running. Pretty smooth installation of everything involved.

I was a little hesitant sticking with the stock cooler but I'm glad I didn't invest in anything else. It seems fairly solid and not very audible.

So being a first time Ryzen user. I'm a little confused about the auto overclock on this thing. Is there anything I have to do on my end to enable it? I've seen the clock go up with usage, but not quiet hitting the advertised 4.4ghz. This behavious normal? Or did a neglect some kind of bios setting that must be enabled?

Was this a completely new build? How did it go with the IO shield? I wasted damn near 2 hours fiddling with that shit stain today.

My 3600 does the same thing. It will hit max speed when it needs to. It wont hit or stay at 4.4ghz unless the application demands it.(I had the same concern and did a bunch of Googling about this earlier).

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
To anyone making a new build; I cannot recommend the NZXT H510 enough. It was super easy to build in. Motherboard stands were pre-installed and there is a ton of room for cable management. Instead of having a handful of connectors for the front panel they had an all in one. Also, it includes 2 fans. I'm extremely satisfied.

How's the intake on the front panel? I'm having this struggle picking a case. That one looks really sharp. Just afraid of airflow.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Was this a completely new build? How did it go with the IO shield? I wasted damn near 2 hours fiddling with that shit stain today.

My 3600 does the same thing. It will hit max speed when it needs to. It wont hit or stay at 4.4ghz unless the application demands it.(I had the same concern and did a bunch of Googling about this earlier).

Basically a new build. Replaced mobo, cpu and ram which involved taking everything apart. Even though I have not really been tinkering with PCs for the last 5 or so years this was probably the smoothest installation I've ever done. Was done within an hour I think. Booted up with a hitch.

In regards to the clock speeds something kind of funky did happen a while ago. So I researched the bios my mobo was on to see how up-to-date it was. I always hate updating bios but among some of the change notes it mentioned gaining performance with certain titles. So I downloaded and installed. It updated fine and went I checked the bios I noticed an option I swear was not there. Auto Overclock. So I turned it on and booted into Windows.

Except, my windows install refuses to start now. I tried a ton of stuff but I ended up having to reinstall. Everything is working okay now... No clue what happened there. These Ryzen mobo's seem to get a lot of updates. Hopefully this doesn't happen to me again.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
How's the intake on the front panel? I'm having this struggle picking a case. That one looks really sharp. Just afraid of airflow.

There are 2 fans that come with the case and both are outtake fans(1 in the back and 1 on the top). If you need better air flow you can install a few more fans including intake.
Basically a new build. Replaced mobo, cpu and ram which involved taking everything apart. Even though I have not really been tinkering with PCs for the last 5 or so years this was probably the smoothest installation I've ever done. Was done within an hour I think. Booted up with a hitch.

In regards to the clock speeds something kind of funky did happen a while ago. So I researched the bios my mobo was on to see how up-to-date it was. I always hate updating bios but among some of the change notes it mentioned gaining performance with certain titles. So I downloaded and installed. It updated fine and went I checked the bios I noticed an option I swear was not there. Auto Overclock. So I turned it on and booted into Windows.

Except, my windows install refuses to start now. I tried a ton of stuff but I ended up having to reinstall. Everything is working okay now... No clue what happened there. These Ryzen mobo's seem to get a lot of updates. Hopefully this doesn't happen to me again.

Which brand motherboard do you have? I'm nervous about updating the BIOS as well. Asus mobo here.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I mean...ok.

It's still a cool store and all.

I buy my motherboards exclusively through them. I've had some issues in the past, and I'm able to go right up the street, exchange it, and walk out with a replacement in 5 minutes. Pretty great.
It's a great store. That's why I post deals from them on here them all the time.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
AMD is so far ahead of Intel it's nuts. Their only potential viable CPU for a gaming build is a 9900K, and that viability I would say that viability is nearly gone with the 3900x and 3950x.

The only thing Intel can do is drastically reduce their prices. The 9900K needs to compete with the 3700x.

The only real reason to go with Intel right now is for ultra competitive gamers that run at low resolutions and high refresh rates and need the best single threaded performance available. That and the fact that Intel's chipsets are more mature at this point (see Borderlands 3 and RDR 2 issues with AMD).

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Are there any hackintosh info consolidated in a post somewhere? Or am I better of searching for hackintosh information elsewhere? My 6 year old MacBook needs to be "replaced", and I'm thinking that I should build a PC that I can use as a hackintosh and game on as well!

You are best off looking for info on that from tonymacx86 or insanelymac forums. I ran Hackintosh a few years on my PC but went just to Windows 10 because switching between operating systems for gaming vs non-gaming was a chore.

You might have a more enjoyable experience buying something like a used Mac Mini for MacOS usage and building a PC for Win10 and gaming.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Also have the H510(elite version) and though I did add an extra fan on the ceiling of the case(so four total installed), I seem to have no issues with airflow. My CPU cooler is an NZXT X62 Kraken plugged into the two giant front case fans. I have yet to get a temp warning or even notice the fans flip off silent mode to some PS4-like hyperjet settings when playing anything maxed at 21:9 @1440p.

I'm aware reviews were concerned about airflow, but nothing has proven this to be a problem yet for me at all. It's a gorgeous case and my only real complaint is dealing with the 3.5" drive cage for mechanical HDD's. Just not sure why they even have that when so much of the case feels modern. Very minor issue really though.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
For all my AMD people out there, does b-die ram really matter? Am I losing that much performance by getting cheaper ram?

B-die RAM is for people whose hobby is benchmarking.

Micron E-die is the popular cheap option, look for 3000-3200 MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport with "AES" in SKU code. Mine runs fine at 3600 MHz CL16.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
You are best off looking for info on that from tonymacx86 or insanelymac forums. I ran Hackintosh a few years on my PC but went just to Windows 10 because switching between operating systems for gaming vs non-gaming was a chore.

You might have a more enjoyable experience buying something like a used Mac Mini for MacOS usage and building a PC for Win10 and gaming.

Thanks, I'll do that.

I wouldn't game much though, just games that wouldn't be available on a PS4/5 very occasionally - or switch over for Destiny if there were crossplay! Mainly work related. And you know how crazy expensive Mac hardware is. :D

Oct 27, 2017
So I have a $2k budget and this is what I've come up with. This will be my first build in almost 20 years. What do you guys think?

• Get a 600-700W PSU
• $2 Windows ebay license
• Consider a more premium case
• Get a better CPU cooler: Scythe Mugen < Dark Rock 4 < Noctua D15
• Sabrent Rocket or Adata SX8200 storage
• You don't need a $240 motherboard, grab something cheaper

If you don't have a good display, budget for it. Don't play with the old 1080p monitor. If you don't have money for it, go with Ryzen 3700X + Tomahawk.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
AMD is so far ahead of Intel it's nuts. Their only potential viable CPU for a gaming build is a 9900K, and that viability I would say that viability is nearly gone with the 3900x and 3950x.

The only thing Intel can do is drastically reduce their prices. The 9900K needs to compete with the 3700x.

The only real reason to go with Intel right now is for ultra competitive gamers that run at low resolutions and high refresh rates and need the best single threaded performance available. That and the fact that Intel's chipsets are more mature at this point (see Borderlands 3 and RDR 2 issues with AMD).
If you have other uses for those 16 cores, sure. A 3900x/3950x will meet your gaming needs just fine. But I hope nobody's buying a 3950x for just a gaming-focused build. Much cheaper chips (AMD or Intel) meet or beat it in gaming (and there's very little distance between any of them at 4K).

shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-3950x.png
metro-last-light-redux-3950x.png

hitman-3950x.png
deus-ex-mankind-divided-3950x.png

ttZT2gfoskvFfXD3DfyFcF-650-80.png

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So I have a $2k budget and this is what I've come up with. This will be my first build in almost 20 years. What do you guys think?

You can definitely do better at that price point. For example:

- I changed from Ryzen to Intel because I think that 8core/16thread will end up being better than 8core/8thread in a year or two. If you don't like that feel free to change back to Intel. Ryzen comes with a decent CPU fan so I dropped yours.

- Gave you Faster RAM

- 1000 W PSU is overkill, changed to 750W

- Changed to a case with better airflow. There is a black version if you don't like white

- Gave you a much bigger M.2 SSD instead of your SATA. You're going to want to be running all your games and software off of SSD.

- You can get a Windows key way cheaper off of eBay or something if you're comfortable with that.

What's your monitor situation? If you don't already have a 1440p and/or high refresh rate monitor I would budget for that with a build like this.

hexen

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm looking for a new GPU and can't decide between RTX 2060 Super and 5700 XT.

I don't care for ray tracing and feel like the 5700 XT gives better value for money, but I read a lot about bad AMD drivers and fear that it would be a hassle to switch. I'm using nvidia cards for years now and everything just worked. What to do? What's the state of the current AMD software?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
If you have other uses for those 16 cores, sure. A 3900x/3950x will meet your gaming needs just fine. But I hope nobody's buying a 3950x for just a gaming-focused build. Much cheaper chips (AMD or Intel) meet or beat it in gaming (and there's very little distance between any of them at 4K).

shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-3950x.png
metro-last-light-redux-3950x.png

hitman-3950x.png
deus-ex-mankind-divided-3950x.png

I've said as much in the past, but considering CPU's are the least often upgraded component, going overkill can make sense if you have the budget to spare.

4 years ago when I bought my 6700K, no one was recommending it over a 6600K because there was no performance to be gained in games. Now? The 6700K absolutely trounces the 6600K in modern games. It's not just getting a ~20% boost from Hypterthreading. The ability to schedule more threads is providing a far more stable experience.

As we're moving to 8/16 next-gen, I'd recommend 8/16 as the very minimum to anyone building anything other than a budget PC. Even with much faster clockspeeds on PC, you can't always brute force things when you're starving for core count, as thread scheduling issues can result in some nasty 0.1% frame times.

Personally, I'd recommend a 3700X as a baseline for anyone who wants a PC that will last through the next generation. Anything with less cores I think will start feeling datest mid-late gen.

3700X < 9900K < 3900X < 3950X

The 9900K vs 3900X is one where I was previously leaning Intel for better gaming performance, but I think the 3900X will some day eclipse the 9900K in modern games. I'd probably only go with the 9900K if you're really looking for the fastest single threaded performance (e.g. for competitive CS:GO).

edit: that being said Ryzen does offer really nice upgrade options, so a 2600 or 3600 are good options if you would consider upgrading within a few years.

Last edited:

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

With the money you save going down to like a 650w PSU, which will absolutely do for this build, you should get a better cooler. No way that $30 thing is worth a shit.

Also: you're spending $80 for a 500GB SATA SSD when you can get a 1TB M.2 NVMe for less than $20 more:

I have one of these, by the way, and have for about 6 months and it has worked just as well as my Samsung NVMe.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I've said as much in the past, but considering CPU's are the least often upgraded component, going overkill can make sense if you have the budget to spare.

4 years ago when I bought my 6700K, no one was recommending it over a 6600K because there was no performance to be gained in games. Now? The 6700K absolutely trounces the 6600K in modern games. It's not just getting a ~20% boost from Hypterthreading. The ability to schedule more threads is providing a far more stable experience.

As we're moving to 8/16 next-gen, I'd recommend 8/16 as the very minimum to anyone building anything other than a budget PC. Even with much faster clockspeeds on PC, you can't always brute force things when you're starving for core count, as thread scheduling issues can result in some nasty 0.1% frame times.

Personally, I'd recommend a 3700X as a baseline for anyone who wants a PC that will last through the next generation. Anything with less cores I think will start feeling datest mid-late gen.

3700X < 9900K < 3900X < 3950X

The 9900K vs 3900X is one where I was previously leaning Intel for better gaming performance, but I think the 3900X will some day eclipse the 9900K in modern games. I'd probably only go with the 9900K if you're really looking for the fastest single threaded performance (e.g. for competitive CS:GO).

It might be a coin toss if 3600 and upgrade it in 2 years for "4600" or whatever is the 8c/16t model at the time would end up being the better option than buying a 3700X now. I went with the 3700X because I expect it will deliver better performance when paired with my 2080 Ti. If I had say a 2070S I might have opted for a 3600 instead.

CPU demands have gone up extremely slowly and I was perfectly fine for most games even on my overclocked 6600K. I remember when I bought the 6600K, the 6700K was something like nearly 100 euros more expensive at the time. It took 3 years for hyperthreading to become useful which does not match the increase in cost. Intel just got away with it because they were the only game in town worth a damn.

To me 3900X is overkill for its price unless you have legit non-gaming uses for those extra cores. 9900K at least here is priced several hundred euros above the 3700X which is not a good tradeoff for marginally better gaming performance. Nobody should buy 3950X for gaming but I'm sure some still will just because they want "the best".

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
same here but ppl said wait for the next nvidia cards and see.
so far im really hitting the upperlimits of my gtx980 on 1440p. the only saving grace is that its a gsync monitor so I dont have to worry about tearing and stuff.
yeah im on a 970 with dual 1080p screens but I want to get a 1440p one but the most recent rumor is 3000 series cards aren't coming out until June 2020...and I really need a new gpu for cyberpunk lol

The Bad Guy

Oct 25, 2017
I have the following specs on my PC,which I game on at 1440p. I use a mix of medium-low graphic settings for new releases to get ~60 fps

i5 4690k - overclocked to 4.3 GHz
GTX 970
16GB Ram DDR3

I was wondering how much on of any impact i could see with updating to a 1070ti? Would i have any CPU constraints?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Was just looking out of curiosity how a 2600K performs today.

Even at stock clocks, it looks like it can manage to roughly keep up with 60fps frametimes. Pretty impressive! With a reasonable overclock, this thing could still manage ~70fps.

Here's another with an RTX 2060. At 4.5GHz this time. it's having no trouble feeding that GPU.

To think this nearly 9 year old CPU could actually run Red Dead 2 at 4K60 is insane. Sandy Bridge was legendary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.