• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! That 1st one (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...lid-state-drive-black/6360131.p?skuId=6360131) seems pretty good.

It says is has 9 USB ports, and 2 DisplayPort outputs. Doesnt say which version but I assume they are able to support the Index?

Any of the modern GPUs should have compatible DisplayPort outputs. You just need to check the vendor specs of a particular model to be sure. Can't tell what motherboard the pre-built CyberPower uses, but in the picture there's a single blue colored USB port, which would indicate that it's a USB 3.0/3.1 port. If the picture is accurate to what you'd be getting, then it should work for the Valve Index.

VR is much more demanding on GPUs than non-VR titles. Check out these VR gaming benchmarks to get a better idea of how the 2060 Super performs. Based on the data, you'll definitely need to adjust various in-game and VR headset settings to hit and maintain high framerates no matter what GPU you get, so getting the fastest one you can afford to is recommended.

And if you're not strongly averse to learning how to build your own PC, I'd recommend putting your own PC together. With today's prices, you're looking at ~1000-1400 before taxes and mail-in-rebates for a 3600/3700X-based build with an RX 5700 XT, 2070 Super, or 2080 Super as the GPU.

A good 1080p/144Hz or 1440p/144Hz IPS monitor can be had for ~200-400 (when in stock), but if you don't mind a TN or VA panel, you can spend a bit less.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Oct 25, 2017
What was wrong with the card if you don't mind me asking?

nothing! I didn't even open it.

More cold feet than anything I suppose. Buying parts piece by piece seems silly since I'll be bottlenecked a bit by my older CPU with the 5700 so why not just wait until I have the cash all saved up and buy the whole thing. got a good deal on a B450 board last month but I shouldn't have bought it since I'm sure it'll be cheaper when I'm ready.

Of course I say that but now I have $600 burning a hole in my pocket haha so if a good deal comes along I'll probably cave.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
How easy is it to flash a Gigabyte X470 Ultra Gaming to support a 3700x is it even worth it or should I upgrade the board too? Trying to save some money if I can.

No Gigabyte X470 motherboards have USB BIOS Flashback, so you'll need an older Ryzen CPU to update the BIOS for the 3700X if the vendor hasn't already done so.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
That'll work.
I have a 2700x right now. Or do you mean even older?

The 2700X will work.

Presuming this is your specific motherboard, follow the vendor's instructions to get it to Version F40 so that it can support 3rd-gen Ryzen CPUs such as the 3700X. Once the MB BIOS is at Version F40, you can proceed to update it to F42g (if you play Destiny 2) or F50a (for the most current BIOS).

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That'll work.

The 2700X will work.

Presuming this is your specific motherboard, follow the vendor's instructions to get it to Version F40 so that it can support 3rd-gen Ryzen CPUs such as the 3700X. Once the MB BIOS is at Version F40, you can proceed to update it to F42g (if you play Destiny 2) or F50a (for the most current BIOS).
I do play Destiny 2. What's the issue with the latest bios?

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
I do play Destiny 2. What's the issue with the latest bios?

Ryzen 3000 CPUs had issues with Destiny 2 unless you updated your motehrboard's BIOS to the AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA BIOS (Version F42g of your motherboard) Meaning, if you just updated your BIOS to what's listed as Version F40 and F41 on that page, you'd have issues when playing Destiny 2 on a 3700X.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ryzen 3000 CPUs had issues with Destiny 2 unless you updated your motehrboard's BIOS to the AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA BIOS (Version F42g of your motherboard) Meaning, if you just updated your BIOS to what's listed as Version F40 and F41 on that page, you'd have issues when playing Destiny 2 on a 3700X.
What's the issue with the latest bios though? F50a? Destiny doesn't work correctly on them?

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Depending
What's the issue with the latest bios though? F50a? Destiny doesn't work correctly on them?
The Destiny issue was addressed with AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA. Unless they break it in future BIOS updates, it should be fine.

Depending on the vendor/motherboard, some have posted issues with the most current AGESA 1.0.0.4 B BIOS.

For my 3700X setup, I'm still on AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA. After reading a mix of issues from people with my specific motherboard, I figured I'd wait it out for fixes or the next one(s) if I want to update, as what I have is working and I have no issues with it. If it ain't broke, I ain't fixin' it.

I don't know how or even if this impacts older-gen Ryzen CPUs like the 2700X. But in general, unless you really need a feature or improvement (such as Ryzen 3000 series support), keeping your BIOS as it is if it's working for you is recommended.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depending

The Destiny issue was addressed with AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA. Unless they break it in future BIOS updates, it should be fine.

Depending on the vendor/motherboard, some have posted issues with the most current AGESA 1.0.0.4 B BIOS.

For my 3700X setup, I'm still on AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA. After reading a mix of issues from people with my specific motherboard, I figured I'd wait it out for fixes or the next one(s) if I want to update, as what I have is working and I have no issues with it. If it ain't broke, I ain't fixin' it.

I don't know how or even if this impacts older-gen Ryzen CPUs like the 2700X. But in general, unless you really need a feature or improvement (such as Ryzen 3000 series support), keeping your BIOS as it is if it's working for you is recommended.
Thank you, you've been incredibly helpful. I was having trouble navigating threads on various forums to try and find this info.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I'd legit recommend my setup. A 3600 paired with a 5700 XT is a sweet spot. The GPU competes with the 2070 and trades blows with the 2070 Super for $100 less. I haven't had any issue with the card and playing at 1440p/60fps is easy. In fact, I've been playing at 4k with the card with every game so far. Throw a pair of 8 GB RAM sticks at 3000+ speed and you'll be good to go.
NO IT"S NOT GOOD BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HAVE 16 THREADS

-half this forum

Mcspooky

Oct 26, 2017
Made the switch to AMD. My old i5 4690k was starting to underperform close 20% lately and always run at Max while performing bad. Thanks to my awesome wife I got the opportunity to upgrade. Ryzen 7 3800 x now. 32 gig of 3.2ghz ddr4 with it. Should run Nicely for a while :)

Last edited:

closer

Oct 25, 2017
So...coincidentally I have both, 1660ti and 2070S in separate AMD builds. My take on both is:

-1660ti can't be matched on price to performance by anything other than maybe the 1660 super. It's unbelievable how good this card is, even running 4k admirably in some games (like Gears 5). It's cool, quiet, powerful, with typical solid mature nvidia drivers.

-2070s, is fair for the price, but some may find it too expensive. It's a beast of a card, improving on the already fantastic 2070. 1440p and 4K easy. I have a thick 3-slot model and it's cool and quiet, stable x10. However, if you are even remotely budget conscious, you have to consider non reference models of the 5700XT. These are less expensive and really perform well in the same category.

Thx for the feedback, i'll look into the 5700xt as well

Tbh im feeling the 1660 the most, but at the same time a big reason im getting this computer is to play cyberpunk. I think for the gpu at least ill be waiting until next year, especially since i heard the savings on gpus doesnt really get too crazy around black friday. If i see a great deal tho i might bite...

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Made the switch to AMD. My old i5 4690k was starting to underperform close 20% lately and always run at Max while performing bad. Thanks to my awesome wife I got the opportunity to upgrade. Ryzen 7 3800 x now. 32 gif if 3.2ghz ddr4 with it. Should run Nicely for a while :)

Whew! That's a smokin CPU! Congrats and enjoy it for a good while.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Thx for the feedback, i'll look into the 5700xt as well

Tbh im feeling the 1660 the most, but at the same time a big reason im getting this computer is to play cyberpunk. I think for the gpu at least ill be waiting until next year, especially since i heard the savings on gpus doesnt really get too crazy around black friday. If i see a great deal tho i might bite...

5700 XT is a great card. Been using a reference card(blower) and haven't had any issues. If hearing your GPU a little annoys you, I'd suggest a non reference as well. Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4, Age of Empires 2 DE, Rainbow Six Siege, and every other game I play is at the highest default setting at 4k with over 60 fps. It's a nice card for the price.

EDIT; I should point out AoE2 starts off at high frame rates, but eventually gets killed, but that's normal for that game haha.

Last edited:

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
That looks good, but how do you feel about putting it together yourself? You could save some money and have a better power supply and motherboard.

I know, most people are recommending building one myself. But if the one I saw online does what I need it to do, it can save me time/hassle and keep in mind I can get it less than the listed price.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
It's still a no go for that budget. The ASUS PG27UQ is about 2000 euros and the Acer X27 is around 1700. Maybe next year we will get something else.

Then whatever the next best solution is for that budget, because like I said, I have no clue about these things. I still buy 24", 1080p and 60Hz monitors, because that's enough for me.

LG 27GL850 and Asus TUF VG27AQ are the current new hotness. If you are more into the curved things Samsung's 27 inch CHG70 is also a good choice.

Thanks for these recommendations.

RhoMu31

Oct 31, 2017
I just upgraded from my old 3570k warhorse to a Ryzen 3700X. Only had time to play Fallen Order so far, but my Cpu use has gone from 100% at most times, to 20-30% barring loading spikes. Pretty happy with my choice!

Wish I'd upgrading earlier now, when I was playing Control and Outer Worlds with similar issues.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
So I've had this stupid problem with my M.2 SSD ever since I got this PC in September. I can't seem to get the permission for it no matter what I do. Every time I try to grant permission for all users, I get these errors.

"An error occured while applying security information to: C:\$Recycle.Bin

Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied."

And after that I get the same error message for C:\Config.Msi, C:\Documents and Settings, C:\hiberfil.sys, C:\pagefile.sys, C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files (x86), C:\Program Data, C:\Recovery, C:\swapfile.sys, C:\System Volume Information, C:\Users and C:\Windows.

What do?

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
I just upgraded from my old 3570k warhorse to a Ryzen 3700X. Only had time to play Fallen Order so far, but my Cpu use has gone from 100% at most times, to 20-30% barring loading spikes. Pretty happy with my choice!

3570k... you got your money's worth there I'd say. Congratulations so on the upgrade.

Zeth

Feb 8, 2018
Between the Maximus XI Hero and Aorus Ultra, I cannot decide. For a 9900K with Noctua D15.

The Aorus Ultra has an extra M2 slot (not a big deal) and it's $199 at Microcenter. The Maximus XI has better aesthetics for my black/white build. Anything else I should know?

Last edited:

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So with this announcement coming tomorrow regarding Half Life: Alyx (VR) I am getting very tempted to finally go ahead and build myself a PC. I've been wanting to for about 8 years now. Haha

I know there's always something better around the corner with technology but what it be a bad time to build a PC this winter? For some background I have a Xbox One X and PS4 Pro.

I was thinking of spending around 1500ish on the build. Was looking at putting in an i7 9700K and a RTX 2070 super. Paired with 16 GB of ram.

I have quite the backlog and more games than I can get too on consoles currently. So would it be smarter to wait until the spring to see what new cards come out, etc etc?

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I got a tax rebate from the UK so with that money and a credit card I want to buy a PC gaming mostly. I live in the UK budget is roughly between 2-3 thousand pounds without a monitor. No idea what to do other than basic amd processzor and nvidia card plus ssd. Oh and no liquid cooling.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Why are PCIe x1 ports always put next to the x16 ports such that I can't actually use them alongside dual-slot graphics cards?

In other news, I hate shopping for motherboards.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
So with this announcement coming tomorrow regarding Half Life: Alyx (VR) I am getting very tempted to finally go ahead and build myself a PC. I've been wanting to for about 8 years now. Haha

I know there's always something better around the corner with technology but what it be a bad time to build a PC this winter? For some background I have a Xbox One X and PS4 Pro.

I was thinking of spending around 1500ish on the build. Was looking at putting in an i7 9700K and a RTX 2070 super. Paired with 16 GB of ram.

I have quite the backlog and more games than I can get too on consoles currently. So would it be smarter to wait until the spring to see what new cards come out, etc etc?

Don't know about AMD but nVidia's first new card next year will probably a flagship card, the successor to the 2080Ti. Assuming you're not buying that then any other models with new architecture will probably be a while after that, so if you're waiting you might be waiting a while.

I got a tax rebate from the UK so with that money and a credit card I want to buy a PC gaming mostly. I live in the UK budget is roughly between 2-3 thousand pounds without a monitor. No idea what to do other than basic amd processzor and nvidia card plus ssd. Oh and no liquid cooling.

With 3k you should check out a hybrid-cooled nVidia card. Don't need to worry about putting the cooler on as it comes pre-built. I would think you'd go for the 2080Ti with that budget and that card gets hot. Depending on the chip itself, you also get highest overclock potential. If you're spending 3 grand and you don't care about best cooling and overclocking, don't spend 3 grand.

Between the Maximus XI Hero and Aorus Ultra, I cannot decide. For a 9900K with Noctua D15.

The Aorus Ultra has an extra M2 slot (not a big deal) and it's $199 at Microcenter. The Maximus XI has better aesthetics for my black/white build. Anything else I should know?

I've been using Maximus boards for a long time and they rule but $199 for that Aorus is great. I mean at that point you're saving, what, like ~$80 based on the average price of the Hero? On the other hand I'm obsessed with aesthetics so if a board really fit much better for my build, I'd spend the money. Depends how much you care I guess.

So I've had this stupid problem with my M.2 SSD ever since I got this PC in September. I can't seem to get the permission for it no matter what I do. Every time I try to grant permission for all users, I get these errors.

"An error occured while applying security information to: C:\$Recycle.Bin

Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied."

And after that I get the same error message for C:\Config.Msi, C:\Documents and Settings, C:\hiberfil.sys, C:\pagefile.sys, C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files (x86), C:\Program Data, C:\Recovery, C:\swapfile.sys, C:\System Volume Information, C:\Users and C:\Windows.

What do?

Go to the current permissions and take ownership for your user account (Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner).

Why are you granting permissions that way though? Just put every user into the Administrators group.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017

Wish I'd upgrading earlier now, when I was playing Control and Outer Worlds with similar issues.
That's awesome. Nothing like getting a brand new CPU upgrade and having your new games run like butter again. All of the stuttering goes away.

That's definitely the targeted sweet spot for a new gaming build. The 9700K/3700X and 2070 Super is what I'd look into buying if doing a new gaming build today. FWIW the Intel processors are a year old but we're also not expecting any major tech advances from either Intel or AMD next year, just a bump upwards with their next CPUs. However there is likely to be a sizable upgrade with the RTX 3000's sometime next year, but not anytime soon.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Why are PCIe x1 ports always put next to the x16 ports such that I can't actually use them alongside dual-slot graphics cards?

In other news, I hate shopping for motherboards.
Yeah that's one thing I keep an eye on when browsing motherboards (especially Micro ATX) - that at least one of the extra PCI-e slots is low enough so it's not obstructed by a 2 or 2.5-slot-tall GPU. You can run a 1x card in an open 16x slot... but check board manuals to see how speeds are affected when two 16x slots are occupied. (Many go into 8x + 8x mode. Which is usually fine unless you're running a top tier card like a 2080 ti.)

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Replace my VG248QE with a Dell S2419HGF for $100, yes/no?

Both 24" 1080p 144hz 1ms TN. The Dell is FreeSync/G-Sync compatible.

Or just keep waiting on good 1440p 144hz deals?

EDIT - Limited quantity deal, looks to sell out soon. I'll probably just stick it out with the Asus until there's a killer 1440p deal. Have also been considering just getting a cheap 4k60 to mess around with.

Last edited:

trailmix16

Oct 26, 2017
What is this warning about updating the BIOS for the B450 motherboard for using newer CPUs?

Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

I want to add a 3600x Ryzen to replace my 2700x (which broke lol)

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Quick, 2070 Super or 4700 XT? Wondering if Nvidia's better support and drivers are worth the additional 100 bucks from AMD's similar performing product.

Will play games and render video on my new rig-to-be.

Oct 27, 2017
Quick, 2070 Super or 4700 XT? Wondering if Nvidia's better support and drivers are worth the additional 100 bucks from AMD's similar performing product.

Will play games and render video on my new rig-to-be.

Depends on what you render.

CUDA renderer - no brainer Nvidia. OpenCL - AMD card will match 2070S.

You are not going to get $100 worth of performance, but you might require a little less maintenance. If money isn't a problem, go with Nvidia.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
What is this warning about updating the BIOS for the B450 motherboard for using newer CPUs?

Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

If you already have a B450 board but the BIOS is old (doesn't support 3000-series), you have to update it one way or another:
  • If your board supports BIOS Flashback, you could update it via USB without a CPU installed.
  • Get/borrow a 1000-2000 series CPU to do the update.
  • AMD has a boot kit loan program that may still be available.
  • Take it to a shop that could do the update for you.
  • There are newer boards marketed as "B450 MAX" that were released with 3000 series support out of the box, but guessing that's not what you have if you were already running a 2700x.

steez

Oct 28, 2017

some of the mobos bios' were created before the new processors so they won't recognize them unless they have a bios update. I accidentally flashed my bios to a firmware that was created before the new processors existed and had to return it.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Depends on what you render.

CUDA renderer - no brainer Nvidia. OpenCL - AMD card will match 2070S.

You are not going to get $100 worth of performance, but you might require a little less maintenance. If money isn't a problem, go with Nvidia.
Rendering video via Premiere pro. Don't actually know what would work best. I just hit go and it works.

And yeah 100 bucks won't exactly break me. Raytracing is a neat little bonus feature that I'd like to see working irl

trailmix16

Oct 26, 2017
If you already have a B450 board but the BIOS is old (doesn't support 3000-series), you have to update it one way or another:
  • If your board supports BIOS Flashback, you could update it via USB without a CPU installed.
  • Get/borrow a 1000-2000 series CPU to do the update.
  • AMD has a boot kit loan program that may still be available.
  • Take it to a shop that could do the update for you.
  • There are newer boards marketed as "B450 MAX" that were released with 3000 series support out of the box, but guessing that's not what you have if you were already running a 2700x.
Ah cool. I have a B450 so I should be able to use BIOS flashback
ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Getting close to pulling the trigger on my new build. Just waiting to see if anything goes on sale on Black Friday. Any last minute criticisms or suggestions?

Pcpartpicker Link

Anything that is marked as $0.00 is coming over from my previous build. Couple Notes:
  • I'm going to use my 980 ti I already have until I can buy a 3080 this summer.
  • I'm planning to run all programs off of SSDs in this build. Bringing over my 2tb HDD for file storage only. Windows is going on the M.2, obviously. I plan to add another M.2 SSD later down the road.
  • I can get a Ryzen 3900x via work connections for 20% off, hence why I manually put in a price for it. If I couldn't do that I would get a 3700x but at 20% off...I figure eff it, just gonna go for it.
  • I have a Hyper 212 Evo in my old build, but I've been told the stock cooler that comes with the 3900x is actually better? True?

Status
Not open for further replies.