• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Getting close to pulling the trigger on my new build. Just waiting to see if anything goes on sale on Black Friday. Any last minute criticisms or suggestions?

Pcpartpicker Link

Anything that is marked as $0.00 is coming over from my previous build. Couple Notes:
  • I'm going to use my 980 ti I already have until I can buy a 3080 this summer.
  • I'm planning to run all programs off of SSDs in this build. Bringing over my 2tb HDD for file storage only. Windows is going on the M.2, obviously. I plan to add another M.2 SSD later down the road.
  • I can get a Ryzen 3900x via work connections for 20% off, hence why I manually put in a price for it. If I couldn't do that I would get a 3700x but at 20% off...I figure eff it, just gonna go for it.
  • I have a Hyper 212 Evo in my old build, but I've been told the stock cooler that comes with the 3900x is actually better? True?

No, 212 Evo is better, but it is still not good enough if you want cool and quiet build.

Plus, 212 EVO Am4 bracket is faulty, you need that bracket + DIY to fit it. I would recommend just buying a better cooler. $50 or whatever in Canadian would get you a nice Mugem Rev. B or Dark Rock 4. There is also something from thermalright in that price range.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Getting close to pulling the trigger on my new build. Just waiting to see if anything goes on sale on Black Friday. Any last minute criticisms or suggestions?

Pcpartpicker Link

Anything that is marked as $0.00 is coming over from my previous build. Couple Notes:
  • I'm going to use my 980 ti I already have until I can buy a 3080 this summer.
  • I'm planning to run all programs off of SSDs in this build. Bringing over my 2tb HDD for file storage only. Windows is going on the M.2, obviously. I plan to add another M.2 SSD later down the road.
  • I can get a Ryzen 3900x via work connections for 20% off, hence why I manually put in a price for it. If I couldn't do that I would get a 3700x but at 20% off...I figure eff it, just gonna go for it.
  • I have a Hyper 212 Evo in my old build, but I've been told the stock cooler that comes with the 3900x is actually better? True?
At a minimum, that 212 EVO probably doesn't have the necessary AM4 bracket.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
At a minimum, that 212 EVO probably doesn't have the necessary AM4 bracket.
No, 212 Evo is better, but it is still not good enough if you want cool and quiet build.

Plus, 212 EVO Am4 bracket is faulty, you need that bracket + DIY to fit it. I would recommend just buying a better cooler. $50 or whatever in Canadian would get you a nice Mugem Rev. B or Dark Rock 4. There is also something from thermalright in that price range.

Ah okay, won't bother with the EVO in that case. So is the cooler that comes with the 3900x loud then? Looking around online I was seeing a lot of people recommending not bothering with aftermarket coolers. If it's going to be super loud it'll bug me.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Ah okay, won't bother with the EVO in that case. So is the cooler that comes with the 3900x loud then? Looking around online I was seeing a lot of people recommending not bothering with aftermarket coolers. If it's going to be super loud it'll bug me.
Not a lot of hard data here on temps/noise while gaming. Sounds like it gets fairly loud running benchmarks (which stress a lot more cores, fan up to ~3000RPM), but the TechSpot review mentioned fan speeds around 2000RPM while gaming.

Could always try stock cooler and replace later if needed.

Mcspooky

Oct 26, 2017
So I cannot figure out this bios on this asus ROG B450-F gaming MB in order to set my DDR 4 to its proper speed ( 3200mhz) and it keeps being stuck on 2133mhz.
Does anyone have a clue what I am supposed to do? All the steps because clearly I am missing one.
The ram is Corsair DDR4 3200 Vengeance RGB pro, which part spicker says is compatible. Though the machine runs nice , I am a bit annoyed not getting the intended speeds.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
So I cannot figure out this bios on this asus ROG B450-F gaming MB in order to set my DDR 4 to its proper speed ( 3200mhz) and it keeps being stuck on 2133mhz.
Does anyone have a clue what I am supposed to do? All the steps because clearly I am missing one.
The ram is Corsair DDR4 3200 Vengeance RGB pro, which part spicker says is compatible. Though the machine runs nice , I am a bit annoyed not getting the intended speeds.
I assume what you've tried is changing the Memory Frequency dropdown from "Auto" to "DDR4-3200MHz", then Exit > Save Changes & Reset > OK?

Manual here (PDF)

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017

Find the A.I Tweaker in your BIOS and hit enter. Under the speed tab, select your RAMs memory. Save and exit. Bring up the command prompt and enter "wmic memorychip get speed" to make sure it updated correctly.

Mcspooky

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I tried those. Was just weird that in bios as well as in CPU-Z and on a benchmark the test all came back with the memory being set to 2133. But the wmic memorychip get speed shows me 3200 so I guess we are golden. Thanks guys.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Z370MB received an update to support the i9 9900ks, and Im thinking of upgrading from my 8700k. Will the ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero run it fine or will it fry my mb? I never wanted to build with the i8700k but it was the only cpu available in 2017, was always waiting for a 8 core intel but was impatient and tired of my old 2600k build. Will there be any features ill be missing from the new cpu with the old mb?

Crotin

May 6, 2018
Yeah I tried those. Was just weird that in bios as well as in CPU-Z and on a benchmark the test all came back with the memory being set to 2133. But the wmic memorychip get speed shows me 3200 so I guess we are golden. Thanks guys.

Usually the first steps on this is to make sure your BIOS is the latest version. If so then turn on your DOCP profile. If both of those works, then it would be about changing the timings yourself, which is a pain unless someone has a surefire timing you can use. Most of the time in forums I see people posting a bunch of timings and voltages which doesn't seem to work for the person asking about this same situation. Many people have the same problem. Personally, the DOCP setting in my BIOS for DDR4-3200 doesn't work for my memory.

My previous memory would go up to 2133mhz in CPU-Z. My current memory goes up to 1600, which would explain "double data rate", which supposedly is how it's supposed to be. I had the same "problem" and just stopped trying to get CPU-Z to show 3200mhz. If it's only supposed to display half of the clock, I just left it as it was.

macindc

Oct 27, 2017
What is typically the "safest" way to update a motherboard BIOS? My new X570 board supports being flashed from a USB stick prior to installing CPU but I don't know if that's more or less reliable than doing it through the BIOS interface "old school" or through Windows or whatever.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
What is typically the "safest" way to update a motherboard BIOS? My new X570 board supports being flashed from a USB stick prior to installing CPU but I don't know if that's more or less reliable than doing it through the BIOS interface "old school" or through Windows or whatever.

Not sure if one is statistically "safer" but as a rule if shit is working, don't update at all.

My 1060 was great this entire gen, I played most games at 1080p 60fps, and now that a new gen is so close I wonder what GPU should I buy

how much money you got?

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
My 1060 was great this entire gen, I played most games at 1080p 60fps, and now that a new gen is so close I wonder what GPU should I buy
New GPUs are set to release next year from both AMD and Nvidia. I'd wait if you could

It doesn't really matter, the only thing that really screw things up is the PC shutting down during a bios update.
I always update my bios from USB on the BIOS screen as that's usually the fastest.

Mcspooky

Oct 26, 2017
Usually the first steps on this is to make sure your BIOS is the latest version. If so then turn on your DOCP profile. If both of those works, then it would be about changing the timings yourself, which is a pain unless someone has a surefire timing you can use. Most of the time in forums I see people posting a bunch of timings and voltages which doesn't seem to work for the person asking about this same situation. Many people have the same problem. Personally, the DOCP setting in my BIOS for DDR4-3200 doesn't work for my memory.

My previous memory would go up to 2133mhz in CPU-Z. My current memory goes up to 1600, which would explain "double data rate", which supposedly is how it's supposed to be. I had the same "problem" and just stopped trying to get CPU-Z to show 3200mhz. If it's only supposed to display half of the clock, I just left it as it was.
It just feels like the old days of having to set those dipswitches. Can't say I miss those days. Perhaps some update will address it in the future

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know how I can convert vhs to digital - what's the best method to do it. Or should I just find some shop to do it for me.

Couldn't find the right thread for this lol.

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how I can convert vhs to digital - what's the best method to do it. Or should I just find some shop to do it for me.

Find someone who streams with the original Elgato HD Capture Card. They have a dongle which plugs into a VHS Component output (RCA Jacks red, blue, green + red & White. Never use the single yellow + red & white connector). You can record with the Elgato software after setting the input to Component.

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States
So I ended up buying:

Intel Core i7-9700K
Patriot Memory Viper Steel Series DDR4 16G (2x8GB) 3000Mhz kit
Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Asus TUF Z390-PRO GAMING Desktop Motherboard
Thermaltake Versa N27 Snow White Mid Tower ATX

and I was just gonna pull my GTX 1080 and psu from my current pc and provided I don't find any better deals on BF, this is what I'm sticking with for the time being.

Since it has been forever and a half since I last built a computer, anything I should know before I start building it?

Also, how much would another 16gb of ram help for gaming? I assume it would be more beneficial for like video/photo editing, right?

Find someone who streams with the original Elgato HD Capture Card. They have a dongle which plugs into a VHS Component output (RCA Jacks red, blue, green + red & White. Never use the single yellow + red & white connector). You can record with the Elgato software after setting the input to Component.

Don't VHS's use composite, though?

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017

Plenty of options - stand alone box like this:

PCIe card like this:

USB device like this:

SCART to HDMI converter then use a modern Elgato capture card or such:

Standalone HiFi unit like this:

NOT vouching for the quality of any of these things, just quickly searching examples. Probably best to check reviews yourself once you're sure what kind of signals you'll be dealing with.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Would someone be able to take a look at this PC and tell me if its a decent price

Acer Predator Orion 3000 PO3-600 Gaming PC - (Intel Core i5-9400F, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060, DVD/RW, Predator Keyboard and Mouse, Windows 10, Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TF8SN53/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_rtM1DbA3CVFJC

I'm thinking of getting it for my dad as a Christmas present, but I haven't kept up with pc components so not sure if it's a reasonable price.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up ordering this monitor, since it went back to its very low price of $250. Gonna be my first >60Hz monitor since I was on CRTs, my first Gsync compat, my first HDR, etc. So it will give me a guide of which of these techs I really care about in the future. Even if I hate it compared to my current 1080p 60Hz monitor I really need a new monitor for my other desktop.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017

I have the Elgato Game Capture HD with the component adapter, and the original Elgato Game Capture that uses composite. Both work great to transfer vhs.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have the Elgato Game Capture HD with the component adapter, and the original Elgato Game Capture that uses composite. Both work great to transfer vhs.

Shit just checked it out and this costs expensive af! Might have to actually send it into a shop if I can find one.

Plenty of options - stand alone box like this:

PCIe card like this:

USB device like this:

SCART to HDMI converter then use a modern Elgato capture card or such:

Standalone HiFi unit like this:

NOT vouching for the quality of any of these things, just quickly searching examples. Probably best to check reviews yourself once you're sure what kind of signals you'll be dealing with.
Thanks will check these out.

Dec 1, 2017
Is CPU bottlenecking still a thing? I'm eyeing the GTX 1660 Super but I haven't upgraded since 2015 (Core i5-4460, 8GB DDR3-1333).

I can't afford a full upgrade right now but I can afford the GPU (+ 1 other component that's less than 100 swiss francs).

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
This may be the wrong place for this, but it only happens with my PC and seems like if anyone might know, it's people in here. Anyway, my issue... whenever I'm not playing a game on my PC and just on the desktop, or browser or whatever my screen will randomly flash black. Sometimes it lasts half a second, sometimes 3 -5 seconds and sometimes I lose sound. I've gone weeks without it happening, some days it happens every 10 minutes or so, sometimes every hour or so. It's been happening for months now and I'm at my wits end to try and solve this so any reply would be appreciated. Here's the weird things that happen though so I'll list them:

I have bought lots of different HDMI cables all 18Gbps rated from Monoprice, Amazon, and so on. Nothing helps, all my cables are 6 feet.

If I switch HDMI inputs and use my AppleTV 4K or PS4 Pro this never happens. I watch or play full 4K HDR content on both these devices as well as Dolby Atmos content, so I don't believe bandwidth is an issue here, I also use the same cables for all these devices.

If I use different HDMI inputs on the receiver for my PC it doesn't help. If I use a different input in my TV to the receiver it doesn't help (i.e. using the ARC input or any of the others)

Bypassing the receiver and going directly to the TV however DOES help, so this is something to do with how the receiver is handling it (Onkyo 777, and I know Onkyo are renowned for HDMI issues, but again, it doesn't do this on AppleTV 4K or PS4 Pro)

If Ii play any game whatsoever in Fullscreen the screen never flashes at all, ever. If I play in Borderless Window it can occasionally flash

Since it started I have reinstalled Windows 10 3 times, and replaced my case, motherboard, CPU and ram. Nothing has changed.

Has anyone got a clue what I could do to fix this? I've checked every setting I can on my TV, Windows and my Receiver. I've turned Arc on and off, HDMI-CEC on and off and had everything unplugged from the wall for hours at a time, but no luck.

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
Is CPU bottlenecking still a thing? I'm eyeing the GTX 1660 Super but I haven't upgraded since 2015 (Core i5-4460, 8GB DDR3-1333).

I can't afford a full upgrade right now but I can afford the GPU (+ 1 other component that's less than 100 swiss francs).

It's absolutely a thing that I'm noticing more and more with the latest games coming out, even things my graphics card should handle easy, I'll check my performance and I'll see my processor sitting at 100% tanking my machine, examples being, rdr2, cod mw, nfs heat and I have the same cpu as you. So waiting to see what cpu + motherboards I can get in the sales coming up.

Also with that cpu you'll likely need to get a newer motherboard too as the newer CPU's won't fit in the old ones.

Dec 1, 2017
I'll check my performance and I'll see my processor sitting at 100% tanking my machine, examples being, rdr2, cod mw, nfs heat and I have the same cpu as you
Wow that much huh.

I'm haven't played a graphically intensive game since Monster Hunter and I had to play that on medium-low settings. Now Geforce Experience is recommending low settings on Apex Legends & Planet Zoo.
Also with that cpu you'll likely need to get a newer motherboard too as the newer CPU's won't fit in the old ones.
Yeah I guess I'll wait until next year for my bonus.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to build a new PC after the PS5/Scarlet launch and tbh not sure if I should go for Ryzen or Intel this time around.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

That 8 GB of RAM is probably not helping. 16 GB is basically the standard now, and yours is fairly slow on top of that. Another stick of 8 GB is probably the best bang for your buck thing that you can do.

What's your current GPU?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018

That 8 GB of RAM is probably not helping. 16 GB is basically the standard now, and yours is fairly slow on top of that. Another stick of 8 GB is probably the best bang for your buck thing that you can do.

What's your current GPU?
Might also be worth checking to see if your board supports faster RAM. If you're on 1333 now, I'm guessing you're probably limited to 1333 or 1600. But it doesn't hurt to check. RAM speed doesn't make a difference in every game, but in some it can help.

RAM prices are pretty low; a 2x8GB DDR3-1866 kit is pretty cheap here in the states. PCPP doesn't have a Swiss site, but German prices suggest 1866 can be found around the same price as 1333/1600, while 2133/2400 is a bit more expensive.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Lightning deal on the 1tb ADATA m.2 drive, not sure if this link works: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K1J3C23/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got one for $109.
Wow, it's currently 100% claimed. I jumped on the waitlist. I'm seeing $106.24 lightning deal price and $25 coupon, so $81.24? Or does the lightning deal include coupon code? ($81 is kind of crazy cheap for the 8200 pro.)

They also have the 2TB version for $200 with deal+coupon. Still good for this speed NVMe.

EDIT - Waitlist paid off. $86.83 after tax.

Last edited:

Zeth

Feb 8, 2018
Wow, it's currently 100% claimed. I jumped on the waitlist. I'm seeing $106.24 lightning deal price and $25 coupon code, so $81.24? Or does the lightning deal include coupon code? ($81 is kind of crazy cheap for the 8200 pro.)

Just got the lightning discount, it was actually $112 with tax. Hope I didn't miss the coupon, but I don't think it showed up during the deal.

Found it randomly clicking an affiliate link on the Tomshardware review to check the amazon price.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Just got the lightning discount, it was actually $112 with tax. Hope I didn't miss the coupon, but I don't think it showed up during the deal.

Found it randomly clicking an affiliate link on the Tomshardware review to check the amazon price.
Hmm, I don't know what determines when the coupons show up. I've been seeing coupons a lot on ADATA ssds and RAM lately.

$109 is still a good price on that drive.

Oct 29, 2017
is there anything cool you can do with USB 3.1 gen 2 ports?
It makes some external SSD solutions make more sense, whether it is an external dock or devices that have it built in, you get something comparable to SATA. Makes more sense for video editing and whatnot, but I guess one thing could be games installed outside your system, and not drastically losing storage performance thru the interface.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Why does AMD specifically recommend liquid cooling for the 3950X? My understanding was that with regard to non-custom liquid cooling vs large high-end air coolers, there wasn't a significant performance difference these days.

Oct 29, 2017
Why does AMD specifically recommend liquid cooling for the 3950X? My understanding was that with regard to non-custom liquid cooling vs large high-end air coolers, there wasn't a significant performance difference these days.
My guess is that it is easier for them to recommend AIOs that could be from every major brand, than to recommend the top air coolers from just a handful of brands.

edit: maybe also the fact that they have a partnership with Cooler Master for their box coolers, but then they would have to recommend some other brand for the 3950X.

Last edited:

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Because liquid coolers preform very well regardless of brands with some exceptions, and are usually targeted towards enthusiasts where air cooler vary wildly in performance. You have to do some research to find an air cooler that can handle a high powered CPUs. Also OEMs who install these CPUs usually option for AIOs anyway. Transportation with a giant air cooler is a recipe for cracked motherboards.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Because liquid coolers preform very well regardless of brands with some exceptions, and are usually targeted towards enthusiasts where air cooler vary wildly in performance. You have to do some research to find an air cooler that can handle a high powered CPUs. Also OEMs who install these CPUs usually option for AIOs anyway. Transportation with a giant air cooler is a recipe for cracked motherboards.
I never thought about that. Makes sense that sellers who ship PCs ready to go out of the box wouldn't want to ship with a big Noctua or Dark Rock Pro on there without some kind of added protection.

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
hey all... I currently have an i7 6700k processor and realize I need to upgrade my processor and MB to a GEN 2 socket 1151-2 and a 300 series chipset MB. My question is, I'm told the i7-9700k (8 cores) is probably the best bang for buck right now and that I wouldn't see any gains with going with an i9 processor, if I am using my PC strictly for gaming.

Accurate? Suggestions? Thoughts?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
hey all... I currently have an i7 6700k processor and realize I need to upgrade my processor and MB to a GEN 2 socket 1151-2 and a 300 series chipset MB. My question is, I'm told the i7-9700k (8 cores) is probably the best bang for buck right now and that I wouldn't see any gains with going with an i9 processor, if I am using my PC strictly for gaming.

Accurate? Suggestions? Thoughts?

for intel, it's apparently the best gaming value, the 9700k. You're going to be happy with it, paired with a decent GPU.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
Hey guys, I'm willing to get rid of my current consoles (xbox one x and ps4 pro) and games in order to buy a gaming PC and I would like to hear from you any recommendations.

If I want to build a good PC comparable to any of these consoles and that will compete with next generation (PS5 and Xbox Scarlett), what should I do? What's the hardware I need to get first? Is there a website where I can build one and get me an estimated budget?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.