• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks y'all!

Seems like Cyberpunk would be a good candidate for free game bundle coming up? Tons of hype and a new card would make it look fantastic.

I'm such a cheapass ugh but I'd hate myself if I bought a new card too early

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
100% this. It's a bit of a bugbear of mine how many people are saying to wait right now...for potentially months and months.

Ultimately we have zero idea on the performance of new cards and zero idea when they will actually launch. Everything is just based upon rumours (often inflated).

There is always something new and better around the corner whether it's Zen 3 or Ampere or whatever comes after.
Because most people don't "NEEEEED" anything today. They already own a working video card. It's a luxury upgrade purchase. The bottom line is that now is not the ideal time to buy something high-end from Nvidia. We're past the halfway point in-between cycles. Plus the word is: the next stage of upgrades is going to be quite large.

Of course if you need something immediately then you go out and buy something right away. The "omgosh I won't deprive myself of something super high tech during the next 6 to 8 months so I need upgrade nao" is what is ridiculous in most cases. It's shortsighted. Just go buy yourself something nice then. But they joined the discussion and just didn't like some of the answers they received.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
100% this. It's a bit of a bugbear of mine how many people are saying to wait right now...for potentially months and months.

Ultimately we have zero idea on the performance of new cards and zero idea when they will actually launch. Everything is just based upon rumours (often inflated).

There is always something new and better around the corner whether it's Zen 3 or Ampere or whatever comes after.

+2

This happens all the time. The inflated rumors and we have no idea which partner cards will be the best value. I'm with you....in a way I like to buy stuff after launch so the bugs are public (and hopefully ironed out by the time I buy).

The only downside right now is prices are at msrp again post Black Friday with no game offers either.

Good cards always hold their value well and easily resellable if the next thing out is actually a meaningful improvement.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Ehm, did Nvidia completely transition to DCH or what? I can't seem to download a non-DCH driver from their website.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Hey guys, I just got enough money to do my first upgrade; purchase a new gpu from my GTX 1060, a better power supply and a better fan than the stock version that came with my pc.

I was thinking of getting a 2070 super, but I did some investigation and my CPU will apparently bottleneck it a bit, it's an I7-7700. I won't be able to upgrade the cpu for a bit, but will it affect my systems performance negatively drastically or can I still reap the benefits of the upgraded GPU

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Hey guys, I just got enough money to do my first upgrade; purchase a new gpu from my GTX 1060, a better power supply and a better fan than the stock version that came with my pc.

I was thinking of getting a 2070 super, but I did some investigation and my CPU will apparently bottleneck it a bit, it's an I7-7700. I won't be able to upgrade the cpu for a bit, but will it affect my systems performance negatively drastically or can I still reap the benefits of the upgraded GPU

A 7700 bottleneck a 2070? That doesn't sound right. Where did you read that?

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, will you max out potential GPU performance? Maybe not. Depends on the game. Will your GPU performance improve drastically? Yes.

Those bottleneck calculators are a bit simplistic.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I game on a 6700K and 2079 Super at 1080p. I do super sample a few select titles with DSR, but generally the 2070 Super isn't really enough for the 100+ FPS I want at 4K. As a result, I either only super sample old games or games with dynamic resolution support (such as modern UE4 titles like Gears 5 and Jedi Fallen Order).

It's definitely more of a 1440p card, but you will see the benefit in some titles, especially those like Red Dead Redemption 2 that allow you to super sample within the game itself. More demanding games such as Metro and Control will still also be severely GPU limited even at 1080p.

Your 7700k won't usually be a bottleneck. With a 7700K, I'd personally hold off a while longer unless you start running into a lot of CPU limited scenarios. A CPU upgrade right now would improve some of your minimum frame times, but likely wouldn't make a big difference in average framerate overall.

Ideally, you would pick up a 1440p monitor when you get the chance. Your money is best spent there over a CPU upgrade IMO. Otherwise, just content yourself with the fact that your GPU will usually not limit you in the near future.

I unfortunately don't have the funds to upgrade my monitor just yet, so I do whatever I can to get the most of my 2070 Super in any given title.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey everyone, I made a thread about my new midrange PC and they told me to go over here. Now I have most things figured out, but one thing is really giving me headaches because all the feedback online is so varying. So my question is regarding the NZXT H510 case.

It has negative airflow, with only two exhaust fans on the back and top-back. A lot of opinions out there on whether to add intake fans or not, but Gamers Nexus seems quite reliable and they said adding them doesn't add much and only screws with the airflow of the GPU.

Now...I'm not into overclocking, so everyone told me the stock AMD coolers are enough (thinking about getting either a 3600 or 3600x). But...I can't find any experience on whether the way those stock coolers are mounted screws with the negative airflow as well. CPU coolers that are mounted normally obviously play right into the exhaust fan in the back, but I don't know how bad the stock AMD ones would screw with that. Can anybody help me out with this?

Also, it sucks that the only RGB stock cooler doesn't come with the 3600 series but only the 100 bucks more expensive 3700 series, but what can you do lol.

A friend of mine wanted to give me his Macho cooler, but man that thing is way too massive for someone who isn't overclocking. Doesn't even match with my Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM either, it seems.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Hey everyone, I made a thread about my new midrange PC and they told me to go over here. Now I have most things figured out, but one thing is really giving me headaches because all the feedback online is so varying. So my question is regarding the NZXT H510 case.

It has negative airflow, with only two exhaust fans on the back and top-back. A lot of opinions out there on whether to add intake fans or not, but Gamers Nexus seems quite reliable and they said adding them doesn't add much and only screws with the airflow of the GPU.

Now...I'm not into overclocking, so everyone told me the stock AMD coolers are enough (thinking about getting either a 3600 or 3600x). But...I can't find any experience on whether the way those stock coolers are mounted screws with the negative airflow as well. CPU coolers that are mounted normally obviously play right into the exhaust fan in the back, but I don't know how bad the stock AMD ones would screw with that.

Also, it sucks that the only RGB stock cooler doesn't come with the 3600 series but only the 100 bucks more expensive 3700 series, but what can you do lol.

A friend of mine wanted to give me his Macho cooler, but man that thing is way too massive for someone who isn't overclocking. Doesn't even match with my Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM either, it seems.
What you want to prevent is a situation where there is more air coming from the front than it is exiting from the top, (because air entering thru the pcie brackets is what help the GPUs), so as long as the fans of the cooler move the air that is already inside it shouldn't be an issue. No CPU air coolers should change that, only something like a 240mm AIO sucking from the front might.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What you want to prevent is a situation where there is more air coming from the front than it is exiting from the top, (because air entering thru the pcie brackets is what help the GPUs), so as long as the fans of the cooler move the air that is already inside it shouldn't be an issue. No CPU air coolers should change that, only something like a 240mm AIO sucking from the front might.
So you don't think the cooler sucking the air "away" from the two exhaust fans instead of blowing the hot air towards them is going to cause problems? I guess the top-exhaust is used more to direct flow away form the back of the cpu cooler instead of the one in the back then?

If I leave it at stock configurations it won't have any intake fans at the front anyway, it's exhaust only, so that won't be an issue.

Just for clarification, this is what I mean:
71QSKpbzlQL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Those two fans in the back are the only two fans in the case, creating negative airflow.

image_1.jpg

This is the way the cooler is mounted. So the CPU is already getting a lot of the air that went through the GPU this way. I'm not sure if that might cause problems.

Last edited:

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Your 7700k won't usually be a bottleneck.

It's a 7700 non k, a bit weaker than the 6700k, but thanks for your input :)

You will be fine. If that's a 1080p monitor you can downsample or use nvidia's "Dynamic Super Resolutions" too to take advantage of the extra power of the 2070 Super, which is more of a 1440p+ card.

Thank's a lot guys I'll get the card this week and later on in the year, I'll get a new motherboard and CPU

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
So you don't think the cooler sucking the air "away" from the two exhaust fans instead of blowing the hot air towards them is going to cause problems? I guess the top-exhaust is used more to direct flow away form the back of the cpu cooler instead of the one in the back then?

If I leave it at stock configurations it won't have any intake fans at the front anyway, it's exhaust only, so that won't be an issue.

Just for clarification, this is what I mean:
71QSKpbzlQL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Those two fans in the back are the only two fans in the case, creating negative airflow.

image_1.jpg

This is the way the cooler is mounted. So the CPU is already only getting the air that went through the GPU this way. I'm not sure if that might cause problems.
The CPU cooler is going to be sucking air on its way to the back, but the fan is not going to overpower the two exhaust fans and suck back the air on its way out. The air from the cooler is pushed down towards the mobo and that bounces towards the two exits.
edit:
nffeViJ.png

As for the last observation. The CPU cooler is also sucking air that is coming in from the front. In this situation there may still be more air coming from the front than from the back, the thing is that it is in a balance, and if you add more air from the front, then the air from the back stops coming in.

Last edited:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The CPU cooler is going to be sucking air on its way to the back, but the fan is not going to overpower the two exhaust fans and suck back the air on its way out. The air from the cooler is pushed down towards the mobo and that bounces towards the two exits.

As for the last observation. The CPU cooler is also sucking air that is coming in from the front. In this situation there may still be more air coming from the front than from the back, the thing is that it is in a balance, and if you add more air from the front, than the air from the back stops coming in.
Oh ok, thank you for the clarification! Well I won't be using any front intake then and hope the fans are strong enough to get the CPU air that's not just from the GPU.
Maybe I'll go with a 2700x instead, that one has the best stock cooler and isn't much slower than the 3 series anyway.
Not sure yet, but the mounting is the same so that has nothing to do with the issue I had haha.

Thank you for your help!

Also woah at the graphic haha, thanks for that too.

Still have a lot to look up. RAM frequency for example and how to apply it lol.

Last edited:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Vulcano's Assistant Hey sorry for bothering you again haha, I was just wondering whether installing the PSU with the fan facing up inside the case would be a good idea, or if that would take too much from the GPU's intake.

Would play into the negative airflow thing though....I think? I guess if I install it with the fan facing downwards, it wouldn't add or take anything regarding airflow because it's its own contained thing then...

Oct 29, 2017
Vulcano's Assistant Hey sorry for bothering you again haha, I was just wondering whether installing the PSU with the fan facing up inside the case would be a good idea, or if that would take too much from the GPU's intake.

Would play into the negative airflow thing though....I think? I guess if I install it with the fan facing downwards, it wouldn't add or take anything regarding airflow because it's its own contained thing then...
Yeah that would add more negative pressure. I would be curious too see what it does. It may also help sucking out the hot air from the GPU, but then again, I don't know how good it is to vent all that hot air on the PSU.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
I'll try asking thisa again :P I'm building a 3700x/5700xt system. Which one to buy?

Same timings and speed, the HyperX costs 20€ less than the G.Skill, I really don't care about RGB lights and I'm not going to overclock anything in my pc (I'm just going to turn on XMP to get the 3200mhz speed). Which one would you pick? Is HyperX a good brand? Is the model good? I know GSkill is quite good, I have GSkill RAM in my PC now and never had a problem in 8 years, and I've seen this model in pretty much every tech video since they came out.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll try asking thisa again :P I'm building a 3700x/5700xt system. Which one to buy?

Same timings and speed, the HyperX costs 20€ less than the G.Skill, I really don't care about RGB lights and I'm not going to overclock anything in my pc (I'm just going to turn on XMP to get the 3200mhz speed). Which one would you pick? Is HyperX a good brand? Is the model good? I know GSkill is quite good, I have GSkill RAM in my PC now and never had a problem in 8 years, and I've seen this model in pretty much every tech video since they came out.

Costs less, XMP performance same, overclocks better. Gunmetal fits pretty much every motherboard color scheme but white, and the low-profile clears every cooler.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018

Costs less, XMP performance same, overclocks better. Gunmetal fits pretty much every motherboard color scheme but white, and the low-profile clears pretty much every cooler.
Is the brand/model good? I never really delved into rams, maybe I'm just stressing too much lol
This model is not on the tested for support list of the motherboard I'm going to get (either the MSI Tomahawk Max or the MSI Gaming Plus Max) but that should be a problem, right?

Oct 27, 2017
Is the brand/model good? I never really delved into rams, maybe I'm just stressing too much lol
This model is not on the tested for support list of the motherboard I'm going to get (either the MSI Tomahawk Max or the MSI Gaming Plus Max) but that should be a problem, right?

It is no problem, this memory fits everything. I ran 4x16Gb on Mortar.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing like buying a new case, then realizing when it's almost together that the GPU won't fit. That's one thing I thought I checked but obviously I was mistaken. Ugh.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Now...I'm not into overclocking, so everyone told me the stock AMD coolers are enough (thinking about getting either a 3600 or 3600x). But...I can't find any experience on whether the way those stock coolers are mounted screws with the negative airflow as well. CPU coolers that are mounted normally obviously play right into the exhaust fan in the back, but I don't know how bad the stock AMD ones would screw with that. Can anybody help me out with this?

I can only speak of my experience but hopefully its useful information to you anyway:
I built my new PC 6 months ago using a NZXT H200i which is the ITX version of your case: 3700X w/ stock cooler, ASUS ROG B450-i & an RTX2080.

The whole negative pressure thing just did not work for me at all, especially with the stock NZXT fans(they are really not great). When gaming, the whole thing just got really hot and not enough air was being pushed out/not enough cold pulled in. GPU temps would frequently approach 80c. The H200i is a considerably smaller case but the layout & design is identical so I just really want to recommend monitoring your temps closely when you start gaming on it.

I chucked two 140mm Noctua fans in the front, and adjusted the fan curve for everything (CPU, GPU & Case) and ever since its been great.

As for why it didn't work well for me? Well, at the time I had no clue and just chalked it down to have a small PC with high performance parts and not enough air coming in. But maybe it was the stock cooler? Maybe the negative airflow is much more streamlined with a vertical cooler. But adding those two front fans resolved everything.

edit: one small tip: The exhaust fan at the top of the case might have a mesh grill, I recommend removing it. An exhaust fan isn't gonna allow dust to enter so its useless and only hampers the fans performance.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017
Is not using the standoff to keep my m.2 ssd (intel 660p) level dangerous? It's slightly bending down and I was checking the intel website where they tell you not to do that. I put it in last saturday and only realized it now. It works fine though.

I'll be home in 2 hours or so, I'll fix it first thing and I kept the standoff because that's what you do.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Is not using the standoff to keep my m.2 ssd (intel 660p) level dangerous? It's slightly bending down and I was checking the intel website where they tell you not to do that. I put it in last saturday and only realized it now. It works fine though.

I'll be home in 2 hours or so, I'll fix it first thing and I kept the standoff because that's what you do.

Can't imagine it will cause anything disastrous unless your computer gets jostled. That said, yes you need to secure the stick.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Monitor research continues, but general consensus is that most, if not all, monitors suck. Or generally are built to a lower standard of quality than years past. Dead pixels, and light bleed being the major offenders.

Anyways, seems like my options are limited looking for a 27" 1440p g sync monitor, I wanted VA for contrast, but would be fine with an IPS if it had 1000:1 contrast ratio. In general seeing more TN panel options, which meh, trash pq for anything other than MLG gaming. May have to hold onto my ancient 60hz monitors and maybe HDR monitors improve, but all those seem to be 4k which isn't necessary at 27".

MadZero

Oct 28, 2017
Hi all

Quick question:

When are the next generation GPUs are roughly releasing? A conservative estimation is fine.

Planning to build a new PC in the next 6 months.

Thanks.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all

Quick question:

When are the next generation GPUs are roughly releasing? A conservative estimation is fine.

Planning to build a new PC in the next 6 months.

Thanks.

Nobody really knows, but it's likely to be by fall of this year. There are various rumors floating around, but not really anything I'd pay attention to.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Monitor research continues, but general consensus is that most, if not all, monitors suck. Or generally are built to a lower standard of quality than years past. Dead pixels, and light bleed being the major offenders.

Anyways, seems like my options are limited looking for a 27" 1440p g sync monitor, I wanted VA for contrast, but would be fine with an IPS if it had 1000:1 contrast ratio. In general seeing more TN panel options, which meh, trash pq for anything other than MLG gaming. May have to hold onto my ancient 60hz monitors and maybe HDR monitors improve, but all those seem to be 4k which isn't necessary at 27".
Samsung does some VA panels, right?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

The defects and panel lotteries are nothing new. It's always been like that.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I was pretty much committed to the x570 Taichi but after doing some more research, I think I'm going to go with the Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master. It's a little bit more but the thermal performance on the VRM's on top of the true 14 phases sells me on the long-term prospects for future CPU upgrades.

All the little bells and whistles on top are perfect too. Coming from the last rig I built years ago, the boards and tech is awesomely where it needs to be to justify the jump from 2-4 year old parts.

It's a great time to upgrade and Ryzen is the go to. Who would've thought that 3 years ago.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Yeah there isn't much selection.

I've used the model from before this one (XB270HU) for five years and it's a fantastic monitor. No complaints. I imagine this one is essentially the same.

I saw the same model name with different prices, I think the older version was listed for more.

So probably end up with this monitor then. I'm not ready for 4k

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can only speak of my experience but hopefully its useful information to you anyway:
I built my new PC 6 months ago using a NZXT H200i which is the ITX version of your case: 3700X w/ stock cooler, ASUS ROG B450-i & an RTX2080.

The whole negative pressure thing just did not work for me at all, especially with the stock NZXT fans(they are really not great). When gaming, the whole thing just got really hot and not enough air was being pushed out/not enough cold pulled in. GPU temps would frequently approach 80c. The H200i is a considerably smaller case but the layout & design is identical so I just really want to recommend monitoring your temps closely when you start gaming on it.

I chucked two 140mm Noctua fans in the front, and adjusted the fan curve for everything (CPU, GPU & Case) and ever since its been great.

As for why it didn't work well for me? Well, at the time I had no clue and just chalked it down to have a small PC with high performance parts and not enough air coming in. But maybe it was the stock cooler? Maybe the negative airflow is much more streamlined with a vertical cooler. But adding those two front fans resolved everything.

edit: one small tip: The exhaust fan at the top of the case might have a mesh grill, I recommend removing it. An exhaust fan isn't gonna allow dust to enter so its useless and only hampers the fans performance.
Hmm yeah I'll definetly check temperatures closely. Right now I don't have a game that would get the rig to its limits anyway, gotta wait on Cyberpunk for that. Maybe I'll get Doom 2016 or something and play it on ultra.
There's still a chance the case size has something to do with it though, at least that's my hope for now lol. Getting two Noctua or Corsair vents to mount them in the front is something I considered doing in case it doesn't work out with the stock anyway.

Until now I only heard that the stock fans are servicable, not outright not good, so I'll keep that in mind as well. And yeah I heard about removing the top filter, will do that before building in anything.

Since I don't have the i version, I can't even really adjust anything with the fans lol, they'll just run at max speed I assume.
The streamlining with the stock cooler is also my biggest concern. Oh well, we'll see. I'll start ordering parts sometime next week.
Yeah that would add more negative pressure. I would be curious too see what it does. It may also help sucking out the hot air from the GPU, but then again, I don't know how good it is to vent all that hot air on the PSU.
I'll keep you up to date if I decide to have the fan facing upwards. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.