• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maped

Mar 7, 2018
Yes I just wanted a portable system with enough resources to support a couple of visualized servers and workstations. I'd also use it for rendering video and of course play games. But that doesn't look like it will be a thing.

There is the Asrock X299 itx that's compatible up to the newest Cascade Lake cpu's, and of course on AMD side you can get up to 64GB and 16 cores with 3950X.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of piggybacking off of my last post...

Is now a bad time to be building a higher end PC? Or is it safe to build a 9700k system (looking at a 2070) and upgrading the GPU when the new ones come out? Are there new CPUs coming as well as GPUs?

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019

Is now a bad time to be building a higher end PC? Or is it safe to build a 9700k system (looking at a 2070) and upgrading the GPU when the new ones come out? Are there new CPUs coming as well as GPUs?
I bought one. (9700k/2080 super). I really like it. But my use case is different. I don't want it to be my focus/primary machine. I prolly use it less than 10 hours a week.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
Lol. I feel your pain. I added RGB fans to my all-black build, just because. Anyways, some suggestions:
-PSU is way too much. Aim for 650W-750W Gold (which is probably what your GPU vendor will recommend)
-You can get much less expensive M2 NVME options, like Silicon Power, Adata Pro, XPG Gammix, Crucial, Sabrent, the list goes on.
-RTX 2070 Super is really close to 2080 and ALOT less pricey
-No need for a 3600X. Go with the 3600, or step up to the 3700X if you do other stuff with your PC (e.g., editing)
-Mobo you can get a B450 Tomahawk Max or B450 Gaming Pro Carbon, these should be Ryzen 3000 ready by now.

Then the first game you have to play is MGSV at 1440p 60FPS. It makes you wonder why you stuck with consoles so long :)
Go for a cheaper motherboard, cheaper PSU, upgrade 3600 to 3700 and maybe buy a $50 aftermarket cooler.

thanks for the suggestions guys. Curious to why you both are suggesting different/cheaper mother boards. I'm pretty novice when it comes to understanding what I need to go cheaper on etc.

if I wanted to use this to run 4K games do I need to go way beefier lol? I assume yes?

Also on my current pc I have 16gb of ram... wondering if I can just reuse that to save cost on this? on mini itx do they use same size ram?

current pc also has 500gb SSD and 3TB Hd not sure if those can be reused for this build? I'm not to familiar with what works and doesn't with itx builds.

and lastly to save another 100 can I delicense my Windows 10 and reuse on new build? Or bad idea?

ill post an updated pc part picker list after I get all this changed up.

Last edited:

captainpat

Nov 15, 2017
Not sure I made the right call going for a 3700x/2070s instead of a 3600x/2080s since pretty much the only demanding thing I do is gaming (that and run virtual machines for labs)

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018

it's not a bad time but it's not a good time either.

CPU:

Intel has new CPUs coming out (not sure exactly when) but unless you really need a 10 core Intel CPU then just get a 9th gen. the "i7-10700K" will essentially be a 9900K. So the only real new CPU will be the i9-10900K with 10c/20t. These new cpus will still be on 14nm so it's not gonna be a huge performance increase.

AMD will have Zen 3 cpus out this year and i think they will completely overtake Intel. I think they are expected to have about a 17-18% IPC improvement over Zen 2! Those will be the CPUs to buy. I don't think Intel can compete with AMD right now.

That said a 9700K, if you go with it, will be a great choice. It will handle games fine. The only other thing I'd say is that the new Intel CPUs look like they will have hyper threading (all of them!) so there will be no 8/8 core cpu like the 9700K. If it were me I'd hold off and get a minimum of 8c/16t cpu.

RAM:

Not really an issue. I haven't really heard much of DDR5 yet but when it does come i think it'll come to Intel HEDT or AMD Threadripper first before it trickles down to your everyday i3-i5-i7-i9 or Ryzen CPUs. I don't think DDR5 will take off until 2021.

GPU:

new nvidia cards are coming soon. can't really say what kind of performance boost they will get but they will be more efficient. If you can pick up a 2000 series card for a good price then go for it. These cards are great. AMD is competing well in the low/mid range so they are a good option too.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Not sure I made the right call going for a 3700x/2070s instead of a 3600x/2080s since pretty much the only demanding thing I do is gaming (that and run virtual machines for labs)

if you're running VMs then the 3700X will be better. sure you've lost performance between a 2070s/2080s but you'll be fine.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
it's not a bad time but it's not a good time either.

CPU:

Intel has new CPUs coming out (not sure exactly when) but unless you really need a 10 core Intel CPU then just get a 9th gen. the "i7-10700K" will essentially be a 9900K. So the only real new CPU will be the i9-10900K with 10c/20t. These new cpus will still be on 14nm so it's not gonna be a huge performance increase.

AMD will have Zen 3 cpus out this year and i think they will completely overtake Intel. I think they are expected to have about a 17-18% IPC improvement over Zen 2! Those will be the CPUs to buy. I don't think Intel can compete with AMD right now.

That said a 9700K, if you go with it, will be a great choice. It will handle games fine. The only other thing I'd say is that the new Intel CPUs look like they will have hyper threading (all of them!) so there will be no 8/8 core cpu like the 9700K. If it were me I'd hold off and get a minimum of 8c/16t cpu.

RAM:

Not really an issue. I haven't really heard much of DDR5 yet but when it does come i think it'll come to Intel HEDT or AMD Threadripper first before it trickles down to your everyday i3-i5-i7-i9 or Ryzen CPUs. I don't think DDR5 will take off until 2021.

GPU:

new nvidia cards are coming soon. can't really say what kind of performance boost they will get but they will be more efficient. If you can pick up a 2000 series card for a good price then go for it. These cards are great. AMD is competing well in the low/mid range so they are a good option too.

Is the i9 the stronger choice for gaming then? I just assumed the i9 was more of a workhorse versus a gaming processor.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really weird question but...

For those of you with RGB fans and lighting, does the lightshow distract you when you're working? I just imagine it being terribly distracting in your peripheral vision. 😄

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
thanks for the suggestions guys. Curious to why you both are suggesting different/cheaper mother boards. I'm pretty novice when it comes to understanding what I need to go cheaper on etc.

if I wanted to use this to run 4K games do I need to go way beefier lol? I assume yes?

Also on my current pc I have 16gb of ram... wondering if I can just reuse that to save cost on this? on mini itx do they use same size ram?

current pc also has 500gb SSD and 3TB Hd not sure if those can be reused for this build? I'm not to familiar with what works and doesn't with itx builds.

and lastly to save another 100 can I delicense my Windows 10 and reuse on new build? Or bad idea?

The motherboard isn't going to make so much of a difference in this instance. At that point you're looking more at feature set for price, since they're both am4. the advantages of an x570 won't really come into play because it's not likely you'll be using anything that requires pcie4. It's always nice to have, but am4 is likely out after the next round of ryzen chips, so future proofing won't matter if your next build won't use it as a base.

Is the ram DDR4? check compatibility with the mobo you do look into getting.

Are you going from atx to itx or the other way around? Sorry I feel like I missed that earlier. If atx, yes, those drives will work no problem. ssf cases you'd likely be okay, but you might need to be creative/check the specs on the case first.

I think win10 ties into your motherboard, so even deactivating might not work. There are a lot of members who swear by ebay sellers who list win10 for 5-10 bucks. You can always look into that to save $150

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
The motherboard isn't going to make so much of a difference in this instance. At that point you're looking more at feature set for price, since they're both am4. the advantages of an x570 won't really come into play because it's not likely you'll be using anything that requires pcie4. It's always nice to have, but am4 is likely out after the next round of ryzen chips, so future proofing won't matter if your next build won't use it as a base.

Is the ram DDR4? check compatibility with the mobo you do look into getting.

Are you going from atx to itx or the other way around? Sorry I feel like I missed that earlier. If atx, yes, those drives will work no problem. ssf cases you'd likely be okay, but you might need to be creative/check the specs on the case first.

I think win10 ties into your motherboard, so even deactivating might not work. There are a lot of members who swear by ebay sellers who list win10 for 5-10 bucks. You can always look into that to save $150

Thank you for the response Gabbo! I am really green with pc building. I know the basic of components and what not but not enough to know what's worth spending on and what not. If I do build this I for sure would want to future proof if it as I don't want to have to upgrade often, especially since it more than likely won't be by number one go to machine since I'm a console guy (maybe that'll change?). Do you have any suggestions for motherboards? (If possible I prefer built in WiFi. Less crap I have to buy and plug in, etc.)

of course when I go to task manager and check my ram is just says 16gb but doesn't list DDR3 or DDR4 And I just cannot remember lol. Guess I'll have to look in the pc itself or download a program that will tell me.

im going from atx to itx yes. This is what inspired me: https://youtu.be/2mCQmZJ5oYI and basically where I got the list of components. for the hard drive it says on the specs it supports dual 2.5" SSD or HDD slots. I just don't know if mine are 2.5" or not lol.

wow just looked that up. eBay does have keys for like $5. Risking $5 for me is no big deal, especially if it's legit. If not legit I wonder What the worst that would happen would be?

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
of course when I go to task manager and check my ram is just says 16gb but doesn't list DDR3 or DDR4 And I just cannot remember lol. Guess I'll have to look in the pc itself or download a program that will tell me.

im going from atx to itx yes. This is what inspired me: https://youtu.be/2mCQmZJ5oYI and basically where I got the list of components. for the hard drive it says on the specs it supports dual 2.5" SSD or HDD slots. I just don't know if mine are 2.5" or not lol.

If you tell us your current CPU we can tell you what kind of RAM it has. But keep in mind: ITX mainboards have 2 slots for ram, whereas ATX could have 4, and your current 16GB might be 4x4GB. Alternatively you could download CPUz or HWiNFO, which will tell you a lot more about your system.

Your HDD is likely 3.5", your SSD could be either 2.5" or M.2 though probably 2.5".

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Is the i9 the stronger choice for gaming then? I just assumed the i9 was more of a workhorse versus a gaming processor.
a 9700K will be fine for gaming. the 9900K has hyper threading. honestly, the 9900K shouldn't exist. the 9700K should've had 8/16 but intel thought they could do what they want and charge people more for Hyper threading. now AMD is competing it looks like they will quit their bullshit and offer HT on all their new CPUs. if you wait for new CPUs you could probably get a "9900k" for the price of a 9700K today. like i said the top i7 looks like it will be just a rebranded 9900k with a slight performance boost.

yes technically the 9900k is the stronger choice especially if you stream your games. but i would think when the 9700k starts struggle the 9900k will too.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
If you tell us your current CPU we can tell you what kind of RAM it has. But keep in mind: ITX mainboards have 2 slots for ram, whereas ATX could have 4, and your current 16GB might be 4x4GB. Alternatively you could download CPUz or HWiNFO, which will tell you a lot more about your system.

Your HDD is likely 3.5", your SSD could be either 2.5" or M.2 though probably 2.5".

my current CPU is an intel i5 6600K. I do know for sure I'm currently using 2 of the 4 slots, they are 2x8GB. Ah yes CPUz was what I was thinking of. May have to get that. Is there an easy way to tell the size of my SSD and HDD or would I physically have to look?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for the response Gabbo! I am really green with pc building. I know the basic of components and what not but not enough to know what's worth spending on and what not. If I do build this I for sure would want to future proof if it as I don't want to have to upgrade often, especially since it more than likely won't be by number one go to machine since I'm a console guy (maybe that'll change?). Do you have any suggestions for motherboards? (If possible I prefer built in WiFi. Less crap I have to buy and plug in, etc.)

wow just looked that up. eBay does have keys for like $5. Risking $5 for me is no big deal, especially if it's legit. If not legit I wonder What the worst that would happen would be?

Glad to see Gabbo could help! As for motherboards, are you 100% sold on itx? If so I'll defer to others to make suggestions.

For atx, the b450 tomahawk max or gaming pro carbon are well regarded.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
my current CPU is an intel i5 6600K. I do know for sure I'm currently using 2 of the 4 slots, they are 2x8GB. Ah yes CPUz was what I was thinking of. May have to get that. Is there an easy way to tell the size of my SSD and HDD or would I physically have to look?

From compatibility you are good to go. Intel CPUs from the iX-6xxx onwards have used DDR4.

You could look up the name of your HDD/SSD on the internet. (The name is displayed either in the Windows Device Manager under Disk Drives, or in your Windows Explorer/Computer under proberties - Hardware).

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
Glad to see Gabbo could help! As for motherboards, are you 100% sold on itx? If so I'll defer to others to make suggestions.

For atx, the b450 tomahawk max or gaming pro carbon are well regarded.

Yes, I really want to go itx otherwise I'd probably just stick with my current gaming rig for now. I do realize atx is more possibilities and better bang for your buck in most cases but I really want to build a beast console size pc :)

Last edited:

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
From compatibility you are good to go. Intel CPUs from the iX-6xxx onwards have used DDR4.

You could look up the name of your HDD/SSD on the internet. (The name is displayed either in the Windows Device Manager under Disk Drives, or in your Windows Explorer/Computer under proberties - Hardware).

I have a samsung SSD 850 evo 500gb ... this looks to be a 2.5" according to google.
I then have ast3000dm001-1er166 ... looks to be a 3.5" so looks like I cannot reuse that.

the SSD was what I have windows installed on and the other drive was for everything else

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
a 9700K will be fine for gaming. the 9900K has hyper threading. honestly, the 9900K shouldn't exist. the 9700K should've had 8/16 but intel thought they could do what they want and charge people more for Hyper threading. now AMD is competing it looks like they will quit their bullshit and offer HT on all their new CPUs. if you wait for new CPUs you could probably get a "9900k" for the price of a 9700K today. like i said the top i7 looks like it will be just a rebranded 9900k with a slight performance boost.

yes technically the 9900k is the stronger choice especially if you stream your games. but i would think when the 9700k starts struggle the 9900k will too.

I agree with everything you said here with the caveat that 2xxxx Nvidia gpu streaming is so good thrres not a huge reason to stream with CPU anymore (even with 9900k) if you're just streaming casually.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with everything you said here with the caveat that 2xxxx Nvidia gpu streaming is so good thrres not a huge reason to stream with CPU anymore (even with 9900k) if you're just streaming casually.

I don't stream, but I HAVE seen the light of playing more modern releases at Ultra max settings at 1440p.

I think I might put a machine together in a bit to get some opinions. My existing machine is fine (4770k with a 970), but I think I'm going to retire that to my media server and future high end MAME box.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

sorry, wasn't paying attention to your use case last night.

the point on the mobo and psu still stand. You aren't really getting anything more when you pay over ~130 for a mobo (for most ppl).

I don't know enough about mini itx builds to give you solid advice On cooling. Maybe someone else here does. I would just do some googling and make sure that the default amd fan is sufficient for your case. And that the Gfx card you choose will be ok in there too.

as for Gpu... honestly depends on your use case and budget. If you want 4k60 for your tv, I'd personally hold off for new nvidia cards. If you want 1440p with a higher frame rate then go for the 2070s or 2080s (or still wait.. we're pretty close now).

I don't stream, but I HAVE seen the light of playing more modern releases at Ultra max settings at 1440p.

I think I might put a machine together in a bit to get some opinions. My existing machine is fine (4770k with a 970), but I think I'm going to retire that to my media server and future high end MAME box.

Yep 1440p high refresh rate IPS is King on PC imo. 9700k + 2080 or wait for 10070k + 3070 are both good options.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
sorry, wasn't paying attention to your use case last night.

the point on the mobo and psu still stand. You aren't really getting anything more when you pay over ~130 for a mobo (for most ppl).

I don't know enough about mini itx builds to give you solid advice On cooling. Maybe someone else here does. I would just do some googling and make sure that the default amd fan is sufficient for your case. And that the Gfx card you choose will be ok in there too.

as for Gpu... honestly depends on your use case and budget. If you want 4k60 for your tv, I'd personally hold off for new nvidia cards. If you want 1440p with a higher frame rate then go for the 2070s or 2080s (or still wait.. we're pretty close now).

any suggestions on a motherboard, if you see my other posts I don't know enough to what would be sufficient enough. (I would like built in WiFi if possible tho I hate having to plug in 100 peripherals). For the PSU I'll for sure lower it... not sure why they went with thst in the build video I linked. But it is over kill.

technically my budget should be zero lol as I don't NEED this but am itching to build one. I don't need the best of the best that's going to cost no $1,000 plus for a graphics card but I would like to be able to play 4K if I build one, and both my tvs are 4k, one being an LG OLED. Any idea on cost for the new nvidia cards? And when you said wait? How long we talking, I'm sadly an impatient person lol.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These muff cabbages are just flexing. They don't have 16-core portable ITX system, and they don't need the 32-64 core one.

Wow. You are classy. I DON'T have a portable system. That's the whole point of why I asked on this thread. I have a behemoth workstation at home that I cannot just pick up and move. I wanted something more powerful than a workstation laptop for my job and to have a nice system to take to fighting game tournaments. I was asking to see if someone else maybe had new on AMD HEDT mother boards that were on their way to the market that I couldn't see myself when I researched online.

Who are you to say what I need? You don't know what I do as a career, so how about chill with trying to shame people for no reason.

There is the Asrock X299 itx that's compatible up to the newest Cascade Lake cpu's, and of course on AMD side you can get up to 64GB and 16 cores with 3950X.

I think this is the same motherboard I looked at a few years ago. I might look into non HEDT board solutions since things like the 3950X are available. If that X299e is the last board to have come out for HEDT ITX then it's pretty much dead then.

Last edited:

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. You are classy. I DON'T have a portable system. That's the whole point of why I asked on this thread. I have a behemoth workstation at home that I cannot just pick up and move. I wanted something more powerful than a workstation laptop for my job and to have a nice system to take to fighting game tournaments. I was asking to see if someone else maybe had new on AMD HEDT mother boards that were on their way to the market that I couldn't see myself when I researched online.

HEDT in a small form-factor is something of a contradiction in terms. HEDT implies things like 8 memory sockets and massive number of PCI lanes/slots, none of which are especially viable or useful on the ITX form factor. The HEDT CPU sockets also tend to be huge, which doesn't help.

If on the other hand you just want an ITX system with a 16-core/32-thread 3950x that's certainly doable, and plenty of people have done it, including multiple youtubers that travel to CES and Computex and use them to for editing/rendering on-the-go.

So I guess you have to explain what you expect more out of a high-powered ITX system than this; i.e what do you expect HEDT specifically to bring to the table that a standard desktop platform doesn't.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I have a dumb question. I want to upgrade to a 2070 super but I dont know if my case is big enough to fit it. I currently have a GTX 970 are those cards similar in terms of length and height?

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I have a dumb question. I want to upgrade to a 2070 super but I dont know if my case is big enough to fit it. I currently have a GTX 970 are those cards similar in terms of length and height?

It varies greatly depending on the cooling solution on the card. You can get very small or very large 2070s. What I would do is just measure your card and in your case and then look online at the card specs of the unit you want to buy and make sure it'll fit.

If you need a smaller card, Zotac usually makes a mini version of Geforce cards.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HEDT in a small form-factor is something of a contradiction in terms. HEDT implies things like 8 memory sockets and massive number of PCI lanes/slots, none of which are especially viable or useful on the ITX form factor. The sockets also tend to be huge, which doesn't help.

If on the other hand you just want an ITX system with a 16-core/32-thread 3950x that's certainly doable, and plenty of people have done it, including multiple youtubers that travel to CES and Computex and use them to for editing/rendering on-the-go.

So I guess you have to explain what you expect more out of a high-powered ITX system that than.

I wanted a portable system that could run multiple VMs for network and host forensic analysis. We have a portable deployment kit, but it's actually pretty huge. It's inside of a Pelican case with an UPS, 2 1U blades, router, and a NAS. I wanted something personal that I could do for lighter jobs, but still had the power to run multiple VMs like Splunk, Elsastic, Security Onion, Tenable.sc. etc. But I'm probably going to forego ITX and research mATX. I just remembered seeing HEDT ITX boards back in 2017 and wondered if they had advanced further, but it looks like the format is dead.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i just bought an Asus VG27AQ monitor today.

it's a 1440p 165hz IPS monitor that is G sync compatible. I've been wanting a 1440p high refresh rate monitor for a while. I originally bought a Dell S2719DG but it had some issues. sometimes the screen would split down the middle and not align properly. it also had a lot of banding + the left side of the screen was much warmer.

i was going to get the Dell S719DGF because i read it was better than the G sync model. Still it was only a TN panel. The Asus was stretching my budget but it seems like the best value 1440p high refresh rate IPS monitor out there. Plus RTing's rated it as the best FreeSync gaming monitor so i feel quite confident getting it.

there are some issues i've read like coil whine and something called "strobe crosstalk" (i think). i just hope the unit i get tomorrow doesn't have any problems. i've had such a nightmare trying to find a good monitor. fingers crossed!

you're right. these GPUs help for streaming. i knew they helped improve quality/performance of streams but i didn't know how good they were. i just kept seeing people say you should get an 8 core (or more) cpu for streaming. maybe it's better to get a 2xxx GPU over a high core CPU. i don't really stream much so i don't really know what i'm talking about :)

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
ddddddddddddd
It varies greatly depending on the cooling solution on the card. You can get very small or very large 2070s. What I would do is just measure your card and in your case and then look online at the card specs of the unit you want to buy and make sure it'll fit.

If you need a smaller card, Zotac usually makes a mini version of Geforce cards.
duh, why didnt I think of measuring my 970? Ughhh my brain isnt working today, I swear. Thanks for info I didnt know the stuff about Zotac

Oct 25, 2017
In the market for a new pc. Our current one is a 2013 (!) build with minor upgrades, i7-4770k and AMD Radeon R9 200, its been remarkably useful I've never had a pc last that long but it coincided with me moving away from pc gaming (but my 9 year old plays fortnite, roblox and minecraft on it). so my knowlegebase and frames of reference are way out of date.

My question is this-is there anything expected out in the next 6 months that would be considered a huge leap that I should wait on, something akin to hdmi/wifi/usb/bluetooth standards (as opposed to regular advancements)-that would be super annoying.

I haven't settled on a budget yet, likely 1500 or so, ideally enough juice to get my kid from 9 to 13 then another big upgrade. probably going through a builder website like letsbld. Our current one was through microexpress. I have no time to actually do anything myself beyond slotting in a graphics card or something. Thanks!

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
In the market for a new pc. Our current one is a 2013 (!) build with minor upgrades, i7-4770k and AMD Radeon R9 200, its been remarkably useful I've never had a pc last that long but it coincided with me moving away from pc gaming (but my 9 year old plays fortnite, roblox and minecraft on it). so my knowlegebase and frames of reference are way out of date.

My question is this-is there anything expected out in the next 6 months that would be considered a huge leap that I should wait on, something akin to hdmi/wifi/usb/bluetooth standards (as opposed to regular advancements)-that would be super annoying.

I haven't settled on a budget yet, likely 1500 or so, ideally enough juice to get my kid from 9 to 13 then another big upgrade. probably going through a builder website like letsbld. Our current one was through microexpress. I have no time to actually do anything myself beyond slotting in a graphics card or something. Thanks!

If you aren't interested in hardcore gaming, then no. Go ahead and build right now.

It will be a great day when everything is USB-C but we got a ways to go.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted a portable system that could run multiple VMs for network and host forensic analysis. [...] I wanted something personal that I could do for lighter jobs, but still had the power to run multiple VMs like Splunk, Elsastic, Security Onion, Tenable.sc. etc. But I'm probably going to forego ITX and research mATX.

Okay, but you have not explained why a 16C/32T 64GiB system that you can build today isn't sufficient for your needs.

(I realize this exact build probably hasn't been validated, unlike the ones in the videos above, but there's nothing weird about it other than perhaps the high-capacity memory to take you from 2x16 to 2x32GiB)

Last edited:

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

View the video in the quoted message below.

So there's been a lot of questions about whether this is a good time or not to upgrade a PC or build a PC.

This video was actually quite helpful: JayzTwoCents NOW is the time to upgrade your PC

Phil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just returned 1700$ worth of a complete build back to microcenter
Full refund

Thank you 30day and 15 day for the gpu return policy

Had a 3700x & a 2080 super

Couldn't stomach that Nvidia 30xx is right around the corner & 4xxx ryzens
Might rebuild by the end of the year
Is this probably the right choice ?

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Full refund

Depends on how close they are. With pc hardware there will always be something better just around the corner.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Full refund

It's a personal call but this is no new development, just buyer's remorse.

There is always something around the corner with PC's. If you don't need it till the fall or whenever, then waiting is fine.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Full refund

I'd say it's probably a pretty meh choice, but time will tell.

I suppose if you were building primarily for one of the formerly Spring now bumped to Fall big games such as Cyberpunk, then you may as well postpone the build.

But, should you rebuild at the end of the year - come next January Ryzen 5000s will be right around the corner and 30xx Supers or 2nd Gen Big Navi or whatever - I can't tell you what it will be called but I can guarantee there will be something better coming out for cheaper if you look 8 months in to the future! This is always the case in PC builds, and it won't be avoided by delaying no matter the timing!

Your best bet is imo not to build at the end of the year, but ASAP as soon as you can get hold of a 3080 Ti or whatever new GPU you are waiting for from Nvidia - this at least maximizes the time you'll have before something better comes along.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted a portable system that could run multiple VMs for network and host forensic analysis. We have a portable deployment kit, but it's actually pretty huge. It's inside of a Pelican case with an UPS, 2 1U blades, router, and a NAS. I wanted something personal that I could do for lighter jobs, but still had the power to run multiple VMs like Splunk, Elsastic, Security Onion, Tenable.sc. etc. But I'm probably going to forego ITX and research mATX. I just remembered seeing HEDT ITX boards back in 2017 and wondered if they had advanced further, but it looks like the format is dead.
mATX is pretty dead.

You may find interesting the Lian Li 011 Dynamic Mini, or the (probably much more practical) Sliger cerberus X - both tiny cases that could be ITX, but can actually take a full ATX motherboard.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Damn, I got to live like a king for a couple days with this ryzen 3700x rtx2070 super build. Froze during Destiny last night and I had to hard turn it off with the power button. Turned it back on, no picture. Tried a bunch of shit, and eventually pulled out the 2070 and put my old 980 in and that worked. So it's the video card. I'm RMAing the whole machine (it's a cyberpowerPC custom build) so they can swap the gpu and test/stress test it in case the psu or motherboard is faulty and fried it.

The good news is I have my gtx 980 machine still. But I fear it will be another 3-4 weeks before I get my cyberpower machine back.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, but you have not explained why a 16C/32T 64GiB system that you can build today isn't sufficient for your needs.

(I realize this exact build probably hasn't been validated, unlike the ones in the videos above, but there's nothing weird about it other than perhaps the high-capacity memory to take you from 2x16 to 2x32GiB)

I though the multiple VMs I'm running in unison would give an implicit reason why. Sorry.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, did a little messing around and came up with this...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($389.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($141.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($175.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($162.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($112.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card ($529.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($112.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $2026.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-25 16:44 EST-0500

I can probably wait to order the storage. Since my other machine is going to be my PLEX server slave, I plan to add another 6TB drive to that. I can rob the other drives accordingly for my new build.

But anyone see any major tweaks or changes they'd make? I opted for the 2070 Super as it seems like the better buy at the moment. My monitor is a 27" 1080p and I'm not going to upgrade that just yet. I figure I'll wait for a deal on a really good 1440p.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, did a little messing around and came up with this...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($389.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($141.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($175.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($162.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($112.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card ($529.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($112.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $2026.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-25 16:44 EST-0500

I can probably wait to order the storage. Since my other machine is going to be my PLEX server slave, I plan to add another 6TB drive to that. I can rob the other drives accordingly for my new build.

But anyone see any major tweaks or changes they'd make? I opted for the 2070 Super as it seems like the better buy at the moment. My monitor is a 27" 1080p and I'm not going to upgrade that just yet. I figure I'll wait for a deal on a really good 1440p.

What are your storage needs for this machine? You have fast SATA ssds and a fast, expensive spinning plate drive. I'd probably consider NVMe SSDs and maybe a cheaper HDD if you are just using it for non-speed-essential storage. NVMe SSDs are kind of at a "why not?" position at that price point, and it's just less hassle and cables and crap.

Depending on what you're doing you may not need 32 GB of RAM, but if you have the cash to burn why not?

Other than that seems like good fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.