• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
So once I get my income taxes back I'll finally be able to build a computer for the first time. I am building it partially for educational/work purposes as I'm working on getting into the IT field but I want something that would be up to running games and easily upgraded when I'm ready to do so.

Is there any reason that the upper level build wouldn't work for me? A lot of the games I want to play most aren't the most demanding, Skyrim and Fallout modded, generally RPGs and maybe some 4X games.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So once I get my income taxes back I'll finally be able to build a computer for the first time. I am building it partially for educational/work purposes as I'm working on getting into the IT field but I want something that would be up to running games and easily upgraded when I'm ready to do so.

Is there any reason that the upper level build wouldn't work for me? A lot of the games I want to play most aren't the most demanding, Skyrim and Fallout modded, generally RPGs and maybe some 4X games.

Upper Level build is about right for you, with a few caveats:

The 5700 XT is having a lot of driver issues for many people, so to be safe you might want to go for a 2060 or 2060 Super instead. The EVGA 2060 KO came out recently and is a good deal at $300. 2060 and 2060 Super are a bit weaker than the 5700 XT but I know multiple people having headaches with that card, and it's well documentated online that a lot of others are too.

For the motherboard I'd probably just suggested getting a x570 motherboard over a x470 at this point. It'll futureproof better with PCI 4.0 support and shouldn't be much more money. I'd suggest to Asus TUF x570 board. Up to you if the price increase is worth it though. The x470 boards would still work perfectly fine.

For the ram I bet you could find some 3200 MHz CL 16 RAM for near identical pricing as the 3000 MHz ram in the upper tier build. Poke around a bit. Ryzen processors like 3200 or 3600 MHz RAM so it's worth getting for a couple bucks extra imo.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Are there any credible rumors of a 3080 Ti dropping this year?
Well the 3000 series is definitely dropping this year and it should be well before Q4. That means the 3600, 3700, and 3800 barring anything unforeseen. Prolly around "back to school" someitme around August to September.

But no one yet knows what they are going to do with the 3080 Ti or equivalent. Nvidia often staggers those things to come out several months later, as a sort of mid-cycle refresh. Maybe it will be there around launch, but my best guess is that the new cards are going to blow the old ones out of the water as 2080 Ti competitors and they won't need to release the high end Ti right away.

Nvidia is a master sheep-shearer.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys VR is really taxing on my current CPU (i5 4670) especially in newer games and I'm looking to upgrade. I'm waiting on GPU but would an i5 9600k(f) or the equivalent Ryzen chip be better for gaming and VR? I don't know shit about AMD

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys VR is really taxing on my current CPU (i5 4670) especially in newer games and I'm looking to upgrade. I'm waiting on GPU but would an i5 9600k(f) or the equivalent Ryzen chip be better for gaming and VR? I don't know shit about AMD
Being as you'll have to replace your motherboard and ram aswell as the cpu, the Ryzen 3600 has replaced the i5 as the bang for buck setup.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I've been really enjoying my new PC so far, but I've run into a corner case with my Ryzen CPU - something that virtually nobody else would care about, but as a retro-PC developer, actually affects me quite a bit. Apparently Ryzen CPUs have an issue with virtualization acceleration of guest operating systems that mix 16 and 32 bit code. I actually make heavy use of Windows 98 virtual machines, and none of them work on my PC anymore, either in VMWare or Virtualbox. It's not like that's a dealbreaker for my PC (I can always test my code in DOSBox or 86Box), but it's a little annoying.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys! I'm looking to upgrade my current rig that I built in 2017 (Ryzen 7 1700 and MSI B350 Tomahawk Mobo) and really thinking about upgrading to the 3900X, but I don't know if there is much benefit to that processor over an updated 8-core, while also changing the Mobo to an X570 (Possibly ASUS)? I'm waiting for the new NVIDIA GPU's before I upgrade my GTX 1060 6GB, so that won't need anything at this moment, but was just curious about the benefits of the Ryzen 12-core versus the 8-core in something like VR gaming for Oculus Link?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Being as you'll have to replace your motherboard and ram aswell as the cpu, the Ryzen 3600 has replaced the i5 as the bang for buck setup.
Adding onto this... while an i5-9600k/kf still has great gaming performance today (due to fast per-core performance), choosing a CPU with more than 6 threads may pay off for future titles. And if video encoding, rendering, or high-res streaming (ex. to Twitch) are in the cards, then definitely look at a Ryzen 6 or 8 core.

The 9600k's niche is 1080p high FPS gaming (for less than an i7 or i9). (As resolution increases, the performance difference between CPUs narrows; GPU is far more important.)

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Are build pics allowed here? Just finished upgrading my PC after months of hard work and saving. Ryzen 7 2700x, RTX 2060 Super, 16gb of RAM.
pc_finished_01pkjbb.jpg

pc_finished_0254kun.jpg

pc_finished_03k1jo7.jpg

Been testing it for a few days with some games included and all is running flawlessly. The only downside is that the GPU has a bit of coil whine which can be heard only when playing graphically intense games. It was a bit annoying at first but I already got used to it and doesn't bother me anymore. The card temperatures are great, first going between 67 to 73 at load. Then I added a cheap exhaust fan at the top and the max temp at load dropped to 70. I might grab a noctua fan later on to replace the current cheap one and get even more chill temps! But for now, I'm done with upgrades.It's just nice to finally have a decent PC that can run everything I throw at it without hazzle.

Edit: I also got a free code of the game Deliver Us The Moon for purchasing the GPU and it's an awesome and beautiful little game, perfect to showcase the Ray Tracing effects. I'm now a believer of that damn thing lol, it looks so damn good and I can't wait till more and more games use it.

Last edited:

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Are build pics allowed here? Just finished upgrading my PC after months of hard work and saving. Ryzen 7 2700x, RTX 2060 Super, 16gb of RAM.
pc_finished_01pkjbb.jpg

pc_finished_0254kun.jpg

pc_finished_03k1jo7.jpg

Been testing it for a few days with some games included and all is running flawlessly. The only downside is that the GPU has a bit of coil whine which can be heard only when playing graphically intense games. It was a bit annoying at first but I already got used to it and doesn't bother me anymore. The card temperatures are great, first going between 67 to 73 at load. Then I added a cheap exhaust fan at the top and the max temp at load dropped to 70. I might grab a noctua fan later on to replace the current cheap one and get even more chill temps! But for now, I'm done with upgrades.It's just nice to finally have a decent PC that can run everything I throw at it without hazzle.

Edit: I also got a free code of the game Deliver Us The Moon for purchasing the GPU and it's an awesome and beautiful little game, perfect to showcase the Ray Tracing effects. I'm now a believer of that damn thing lol, it looks so damn good and I can't wait till more and more games use it.
What case is that? (I can see it's Cooler Master and Micro ATX.) Looking neat and tidy.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
What case is that? (I can see it's Cooler Master and Micro ATX.) Looking neat and tidy.
Thank you! The case is indeed a m-ATX from Cooler Master, it's the NR400. I wanted to get its big brother the NR600 which is ATX size but went with this one instead and no regrets so far! The front panel is 100% mesh which is excellent for airflow and it has a nice tempered glass side panel too. Totally recommend it.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
pc_finished_01pkjbb.jpg

pc_finished_0254kun.jpg

pc_finished_03k1jo7.jpg

looks great man

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone give me all the tips and tricks to making a living room pc?

what i mean is after i connect my pc to the tv in my living room. What can i do to make it a comfy situation? And feel more like a console experience?

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I've got a morbid fascination as to how Intel's "new" cpu refresh is going to compete with Ryzen 3000.
same as it ever was. The current Intel chips already beat Ryzen 3000 for gaming. Ryzen is the better valued all-arounder. Of course the new Intel chips will perform even better at gaming, while also getting hyperthreading.

I just don't understand why Ryzen people are constantly skeptical of the situation, or in denial. If you want the best multitasking and the best overall value you go Ryzen. If all you care about is gaming performance then you go Intel.

Intel chips don't suddenly cease being able to perform other functions bc they have fewer threads. Ryzens also aren't bad gaming chips just bc Intels perform better in games. It's not some epic battle narrative that blogs, vlogs, and youtube are always promoting. Both companies make great CPUs.

gar3

Oct 25, 2017
New Cumberland, PA USA
Hi all,

According to the series of blinking lights on my Dell Precision T5400, its power supply suddenly died this afternoon while I was playing a game via Steam. I've already ordered a replacement but, in general, how likely is it that any of my components where damaged due to this suddenly turning off while in use like that? I assume it would be the same as if the actual electricity supply was suddenly cut like in a storm or such or should I actually be concerned for the GPU, CPUs, etcetera?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Hi all,

According to the series of blinking lights on my Dell Precision T5400, its power supply suddenly died this afternoon while I was playing a game via Steam. I've already ordered a replacement but, in general, how likely is it that any of my components where damaged due to this suddenly turning off while in use like that? I assume it would be the same as if the actual electricity supply was suddenly cut like in a storm or such or should I actually be concerned for the GPU, CPUs, etcetera?

No way to know until you get back up but I've had my system shut off unexpectedly for various reasons over the years and it never damaged any components. I'm sure many in this thread have. Though, for me the reason was never a PSU dying.

Plum

May 31, 2018
So I'm building my new PC tomorrow in a Nano S that I used for a build way back in early 2017...

...and I just realised that my idiot past self might not have kept my case's screws in a place I can easily find them (or at all).

tenor.gif

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
same as it ever was. The current Intel chips already beat Ryzen 3000 for gaming. Ryzen is the better valued all-arounder. Of course the new Intel chips will perform even better at gaming, while also getting hyperthreading.

I just don't understand why Ryzen people are constantly skeptical of the situation, or in denial. If you want the best multitasking and the best overall value you go Ryzen. If all you care about is gaming performance then you go Intel.

Intel chips don't suddenly cease being able to perform other functions bc they have fewer threads. Ryzens also aren't bad gaming chips just bc Intels perform better in games. It's not some epic battle narrative that blogs, vlogs, and youtube are always promoting. Both companies make great CPUs.
Yeah, but I hope Intel feels the need to drop prices down the stack, like what they did with their HEDT line.

I would be tempted with a 9900k equivalent for the price of a 9700k.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
So I have the most bizarre issue happening and I don't know what to do. Google directed me to quite a few years old threads with the same issue, but surprise surprise, none of them end with OP returning to state what the issue was or how they fixed it.

I just got a new custom PC from cyberpower. It replaced my old rig (gtx 980 i54690k). It is a ryzen 3700 rtx 2070 super. Now, originally the GPU failed after 2 days, so I RMA the whole machine, they determined faulty video card and replaced it. Not sure if that has anything to do with this new issue.

The PC is hooked up to my TV, about 9 feet away. The issue is, when I stand up from the couch and generate a little static electricity and my feet hit the rug, the mouse/keyboard disconnect and immediately reconnect. Plugged into a surge protector on a grounded outlet (I know it's grounded for a fact) and the computer sits on hardwood, about a foot from the area rug. The rgb lights on the mouse and kb blink off then on, and I get the windows usb connection sound. Even if I place the kb and mouse over by the computer, 9 feet away, this still happens. It's just the damnedest thing. I called tech support and they were just as puzzled as I was. My old machine was plugged into the exact same set-up with no issue, and my spouses machine is hooked up on the other side of the room. I've tried different outlets, different keyboard and mouse, even ran an extension cord to the grounded outlets in the kitchen. Same thing. Can anybody help me with this? It's really damn annoying, and I know I'm not the first person with this issues, as evidenced by 8 year old forum threads describing the same thing. I am completely stumped here. At first I thought standing up was vibrating the case a little and maybe it was a loose header connection or something, but after hours of testing, I've determined it only happens if there's enough static to generate an audible little zap when I stand up. Nothing wireless, all wired. I do use usb extension cables, as I always have. But even removing them from the equation does not mitigate the problem.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
So I have the most bizarre issue happening and I don't know what to do. Google directed me to quite a few years old threads with the same issue, but surprise surprise, none of them end with OP returning to state what the issue was or how they fixed it.

I just got a new custom PC from cyberpower. It replaced my old rig (gtx 980 i54690k). It is a ryzen 3700 rtx 2070 super. Now, originally the GPU failed after 2 days, so I RMA the whole machine, they determined faulty video card and replaced it. Not sure if that has anything to do with this new issue.

The PC is hooked up to my TV, about 9 feet away. The issue is, when I stand up from the couch and generate a little static electricity and my feet hit the rug, the mouse/keyboard disconnect and immediately reconnect. Plugged into a surge protector on a grounded outlet (I know it's grounded for a fact) and the computer sits on hardwood, about a foot from the area rug. The rgb lights on the mouse and kb blink off then on, and I get the windows usb connection sound. Even if I place the kb and mouse over by the computer, 9 feet away, this still happens. It's just the damnedest thing. I called tech support and they were just as puzzled as I was. My old machine was plugged into the exact same set-up with no issue, and my spouses machine is hooked up on the other side of the room. I've tried different outlets, different keyboard and mouse, even ran an extension cord to the grounded outlets in the kitchen. Same thing. Can anybody help me with this? It's really damn annoying, and I know I'm not the first person with this issues, as evidenced by 8 year old forum threads describing the same thing. I am completely stumped here. At first I thought standing up was vibrating the case a little and maybe it was a loose header connection or something, but after hours of testing, I've determined it only happens if there's enough static to generate an audible little zap when I stand up. Nothing wireless, all wired. I do use usb extension cables, as I always have. But even removing them from the equation does not mitigate the problem.
That's so strange. I wonder what kind of system that so prone to static electricity interference to cause such issues? have you tried raising the whole system from ground and on to a table? Just to to test that it still happens?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
That's so strange. I wonder what kind of system that so prone to static electricity interference to cause such issues? have you tried raising the whole system from ground and on to a table? Just to to test that it still happens?
That will be my next course, Im honestly burned out from testing the past couple days so I need a break lol. Also not a long term solution as the PC sits next to my TV stand and is plugged in through my receiver to the OLED. I figure next time I sit down to mess with it I'll reseat all the headers again, maybe reseat the connection from PSU to the mobo, reseat the ram, etc. It's just such a weird and VERY specific issue I feel a little hopeless right now.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, but I hope Intel feels the need to drop prices down the stack, like what they did with their HEDT line.

I would be tempted with a 9900k equivalent for the price of a 9700k.
For sure. It sounds like the 10700K is going to be pretty good value.

It's getting harder and harder to justify maybe putting a 9900K into my current premium board.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
For sure. It sounds like the 10700K is going to be pretty good value.

It's getting harder and harder to justify maybe putting a 9900K into my current premium board.
It's definitely a fuck you for 9700k owner such myself since they denied us hyper-threading. Thankfully gaming is the majority of the work I do with my computer so it wouldn't matter for years to come.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still on 8gb DDR3, help

Waiting to graduate to get myself a new PC but bought 16gb DDR4 ahead of price hikes, as rumors are saying

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
pc_finished_01pkjbb.jpg

pc_finished_0254kun.jpg

pc_finished_03k1jo7.jpg

sweet build!

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
So I have never been so indecisive. I usually have no problems making decisions. I bought the Silverstone NVZ03 in white for my SFF ITX build but I can't make up my mind on a case. I kind of wanted to do water cooling and have glass panels to See the build but there aren't many cases offering this in a small enough foot print. I just just keep going back and forth with what I want. Doing that with some RGB would be super cool. However this will be to game on the couch so the pc won't be a focal point. Ugh decisions.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
yo, Phanteks made a O11D
www.phanteksusa.com

MetallicGear Neo Qube Black

The NEO Qube from MetallicGear is a showcase for your system thanks to a dual tempered glass design, clean interior and integrated Digital-RGB lighting. The Spacious dual chamber interior creates heat separation for better cooling, supports powerful hardware, and even 2 motherboards. With triple...

Last edited:

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
So I have never been so indecisive. I usually have no problems making decisions. I bought the Silverstone NVZ03 in white for my SFF ITX build but I can't make up my mind on a case. I kind of wanted to do water cooling and have glass panels to See the build but there aren't many cases offering this in a small enough foot print. I just just keep going back and forth with what I want. Doing that with some RGB would be super cool. However this will be to game on the couch so the pc won't be a focal point. Ugh decisions.

quoting my post. This case is sick! But costly. Anyone have one?

Oct 29, 2017

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

My extreme idea would be to ground yourself and then try to repeat the actions. If you're say wearing an antistatic wrist strap, or keeping in contact with a grounding surface, and it still happens, you know it's not static, but a contact or shaking issue. If it doesn't happen, then it's definitely static and the problem is more with, say, your living room.

You mention the zap which is a pretty solid clue of it being static, but if so...there's not much to do about that except find a more grounded peripheral or add some grounding to your floor to pre-clear you.The only other thing I can think of from my past experience with zapping computers would be to ground the case manually instead, or the wires. Sit the PC on metal or something. But I agree, very frustrating problem.

I agree that if you just want a gaming monster, Intel's high end is there. But it just seems like they are outnumbered for any other budget right now.
  • The relatively constant stream of hardware vulnerabilities Intel is patching
  • Still have yet to release PCIe Gen 4 (and do any of the intel chips support USB 3.2 2x2?)
  • In general more of your budget should be spent on GPU so would much rather, say, have 3600x+RTX 2080 than 9700k+2060S
Certainly at 4k the equation changes a lot though.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is it possible to have a 2080 Ti FE that is just a dud? It goes up to 80 degrees during Modern Warfare running at 1440p with RTX off and then gets choppy as all fuck.

maybe the cooler has bad thermal paste application or something? I have an EK waterblock ready to put on it, maybe that'll fix it?

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
s it possible to have a 2080 Ti FE that is just a dud? It goes up to 80 degrees during Modern Warfare running at 1440p with RTX off and then gets choppy as all fuck.

maybe the cooler has bad thermal paste application or something? I have an EK waterblock ready to put on it, maybe that'll fix it?
My advise is to check multiple games. PC version of MW is not very stable. A lot of people with problems.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Can someone give me all the tips and tricks to making a living room pc?

what i mean is after i connect my pc to the tv in my living room. What can i do to make it a comfy situation? And feel more like a console experience?

I would suggest turning off windows log-in completely and then set up Steam so that it boots straight into big picture mode on log in. It would effectively mean you turn on the PC and it loads into steam (fully navigable via controller so no need to keep a keyboard and mouse plugged in apart from when you need to troubleshoot).

Neufr0

Nov 20, 2017
So I'm almost finished with my build, just the hard drive left and I'll start it next week. I do have a small question tho.
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Neufr0/saved/X2Mtpg

Do I need more fans? The H510 comes with 2 preinstalled (one in the front and one in the back, I will leave them in this configuration I think). Do I need one more in the front? I don't think I will touch on overclocking for now and the room where the pc will be is pretty chilly in general (it's in a basement with an air vent to the outside, that's why).

Status
Not open for further replies.