• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRios Zen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the Hyper X Fury for booting, seeing as your MB has a M.2 x4 slot.
A Samsung 960 or 970 EVO would speed up things quite a bit without too much of an additional price cost.
So I'm mostly dumb about this. I mean, I researched what I could before I made choices, but I dont have any real knowledge, which is why I'm checking here.

That being said, you have officially blown my mind. This
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 250GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7E250BW
Is a hard-drive?

HAHA, man I'm so old, I was looking for something in a case, never even thought about something this. I can cancel the hard drive and buy this. Thanks!

Edit: Updated Hyper X Fury to Samsung 970 EVO, cost was about $12 more - thanks Davy

Last edited:

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
So I'm mostly dumb about this. I mean, I researched what I could before I made choices, but I dont have any real knowledge, which is why I'm checking here.

That being said, you have officially blown my mind. This
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 250GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7E250BW
Is a hard-drive?

HAHA, man I'm so old, I was looking for something in a case, never even thought about something this. I can cancel the hard drive and buy this. Thanks!

It's not dumb, it's actually smart to try to get opinions.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
The Taichi is the closest to what I want (since ASRock is the only company to put an extra SATA controller on the board), but it drops to 8x on the GPU slot if you use a 4x PCIe slot :(

I'm a bit miffed that you have all these companies announcing dozens of boards, but when you get to the nitty gritty it's really all the same lane sharing, basically. And no one bothering with PLX chips or a few extra SATA ports on a separate controller. Just more plastic and LEDs.

You won't get 3 M.2, but I don't see why the Asus Maximus XI Hero doesn't work. Some of the higher models might work too, but I didn't look at them closely.

Of course I generally agree about the Z390 sentiment. They added another power connector for the CPU that I won't need, WiFi is redone, which I don't need, and better USB, which I would like.. but not sure I care enough to swap parts.

I'm not even all that worried about the price since people seem to be ok with overpaying for used PC gear. I don't think I'd lose all that much, especially if I can score a MicroCenter combo.

Jul 26, 2018
Hello all. So... finally after months of saving up, i'm planning to buy/build my first gaming PC ever.

For my first GPU, i'm seriously craving the RTX 2080 but been told that the performance for ray-tracing games may be a bit letdown. But again, the GPU's are releasing and i'm waiting for the Battlefield V performance with ray-tracing. Also, i'm aware that there are similar performance GPU's with cheaper prices. I'm just waiting for the ray-tracing benchmarks. Also curious about the 2070 yet it's sold out everywhere. As for CPU, i'm going for the Ryzen 7 2700x due to similar performance as the i7 on gaming.

My biggest question to all here is, what are your guys thoughts on watercooling. I've always wanted an awesome looking gaming PC with watercooling but i'm also aware of terrible accidents like possible leaks and tons of maintenance. What do you guys think? Should I approach watercooling as a beginner or avoid it at all costs? So far, i've been told not to do it. What do you guys think? I wanna do it, but kinda nervous about it especially it's my first time building a gaming PC.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
The Taichi is the closest to what I want (since ASRock is the only company to put an extra SATA controller on the board), but it drops to 8x on the GPU slot if you use a 4x PCIe slot :(

That's why they have HEDT. You can have 44 lanes direct to the CPU to do crazy shit instead of 16 for a GPU and hanging the rest off the PCH.

SonofDonCD

Oct 26, 2017
Okay so I'm not sure where else to go to get the answer to my query.

I've reinstalled Windows 10 recently, as I got a larger SSD. I also cleaned it my motherboard fun first and such, replacing the thermal paste for my cpu. Just some general housecleaning. But I have encountered two problems .

1. The mouse stutters. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it starts, it'll work but after every 4-6 seconds it will pause for maybe a second, then resume working. Annoying as hell. Also when this happens, if I'm watching a video,the video will also stutter in the same manner.

2. The time will desync. I'm not aware of when it hearkened, but this is a constant thing. I'm constantly having to reset the clock, and nothing I've seen online has helped me solve the issue. The craziest part of this is that when the time goes off it's inconsistent. It doesn't go back an hour or two every single time, in other words.

Now, I'm not sure if the first problem is helping to cause the second, but both are starting to irk me tremendously. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Hello all. So... finally after months of saving up, i'm planning to buy/build my first gaming PC ever.

For my first GPU, i'm seriously craving the RTX 2080 but been told that the performance for ray-tracing games may be a bit letdown. But again, the GPU's are releasing and i'm waiting for the Battlefield V performance with ray-tracing. Also, i'm aware that there are similar performance GPU's with cheaper prices. I'm just waiting for the ray-tracing benchmarks. Also curious about the 2070 yet it's sold out everywhere. As for CPU, i'm going for the Ryzen 7 2700x due to similar performance as the i7 on gaming.

My biggest question to all here is, what are your guys thoughts on watercooling. I've always wanted an awesome looking gaming PC with watercooling but i'm also aware of terrible accidents like possible leaks and tons of maintenance. What do you guys think? Should I approach watercooling as a beginner or avoid it at all costs? So far, i've been told not to do it. What do you guys think? I wanna do it, but kinda nervous about it especially it's my first time building a gaming PC.
How is the 2070 sold out? It hasn't been released yet. Are retailers out of pre-orders?

Oct 29, 2017

For a first PC, you shouldn't out of the gate. Build the PC with off the shelf cooling solutions, you can always watercool it later.

A watercooled system doesn't look better unless it is planned. If this is your first PC, then I would say that you should have it in front of you before you do that.

Last edited:

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I want to match my 2080 ti with a new cpu (Using a 5820k currently) for my main gaming pc. I am thinking of this build:

Intel Core i9-9900K
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 3000MHz 2x8GB
NZXT Kraken X62 2x140mm water cooling for the CPU
Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 White x2 (extra chassi fans)
Corsair RM750X V2 750W
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero

Any glaring issues?

ReBirFh

Dec 8, 2017
Quick question: Would a RX 580 8GB Nitro be decent enough for 1080p for the next few years? I don't game too much and it's but I'd like to play with decent-ish graphics for a few years.

My 6 years old computer is failing me sometimes and I've already started buying the parts to replace it (mobo + cpu + case + memory already bought)

I'm from Brazil so stuff is triple or more than what you guys spent but I found a real 30% off deal in the GPU

Edit: damm... already sold out

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Okay so I'm not sure where else to go to get the answer to my query.

I've reinstalled Windows 10 recently, as I got a larger SSD. I also cleaned it my motherboard fun first and such, replacing the thermal paste for my cpu. Just some general housecleaning. But I have encountered two problems .

1. The mouse stutters. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it starts, it'll work but after every 4-6 seconds it will pause for maybe a second, then resume working. Annoying as hell. Also when this happens, if I'm watching a video,the video will also stutter in the same manner.

2. The time will desync. I'm not aware of when it hearkened, but this is a constant thing. I'm constantly having to reset the clock, and nothing I've seen online has helped me solve the issue. The craziest part of this is that when the time goes off it's inconsistent. It doesn't go back an hour or two every single time, in other words.

Now, I'm not sure if the first problem is helping to cause the second, but both are starting to irk me tremendously. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Do you have a Ryzen CPU?

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
So I more or less chose everything I'll get for my PC later this year but I'm looking at RAM now and it seems kinda vague in articles and reviews and stuff. Most of them seem to say that it doesn't really matter what you buy unless you're planning on overclocking the RAM(which I don't care much about doing). Like the effect of latency from 13 to 16 or whatever is irrelevant, the speeds aren't super relevant even and most of the articles use their +/- systems on wether or not the RAM has "cool" looking RGB stuff and how expensive it is.

Is RAM really in a state where you kinda don't care what you buy other than capacity/price? I mean difference in clockspeeds aren't that expensive so I'd probably still get a decent one for 20-30euros more because why not but just wondering.

Also in terms of capacity, most articles I've read(recent ones, past 2-3months top) say 16gb is basically enough for gaming for the foreseeable future and 32gb is a waste unless you do non-gaming stuff like video editing. Do you think that'll hold correct for say, the next 5 years or so? Would the new consoles releasing in ~2years or so based on most predictions potentially change that, or would Sony/MS just stick to 16gb at most due to RAM prices being pretty high and stuff? I don't really want to buy 32gb if there's no point.

What cpu are you buying? If its a Ryzen cpu I would be more picky with memory you buy. It seems like Ryzen refresh is better with memory but the way the cpu is designed it actually likes lower latency. So if you are getting a Ryzen 2XXX cpu I would look into 3200 speed CL14 memory. Samsung B Die ram preferably. For example, one of these two options:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...0&cm_re=ddr4_3200_cl14-_-20-232-530-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...2&cm_re=ddr4_3200_cl14-_-20-313-712-_-Product

It's slightly more expensive but these options will work great with Ryzen.

Intel isn't as picky with memory though you can always get some higher performance with more speed but there is diminishing returns over 3200.

SonofDonCD

Oct 26, 2017
Do you have a Ryzen CPU?
Oh no. My system is not nearly that new (hence me replacing the thermal paste for the cpu). I'm running an i5 3570k. Old, I know, but besides the random issue here and there, my system's been good up till now.

I'm looking to start a new build sometime next year. Just gotta keep my current one running until then.

EDIT: I think the time issue happens whenever I game. I'm playing Crosscode on Steam and the time has only moved maybe 50 mins, though it's been like 2 hours since I started.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
You won't get 3 M.2, but I don't see why the Asus Maximus XI Hero doesn't work.
IIRC, once you use both M.2's as well as the 4xPCIe slot in that, you only have 3 SATA ports left.

That's why they have HEDT. You can have 44 lanes direct to the CPU to do crazy shit instead of 16 for a GPU and hanging the rest off the PCH.
Well, yes, but HEDT is 20%+ slower than a 9900k for several use cases that are important to me.

If I was going for more but slower cores I could just get a Threadripper and never ever worry about I/O again ;)

I want to match my 2080 ti with a new cpu (Using a 5820k currently) for my main gaming pc. I am thinking of this build:

Intel Core i9-9900K
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 3000MHz 2x8GB
NZXT Kraken X62 2x140mm water cooling for the CPU
Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 White x2 (extra chassi fans)
Corsair RM750X V2 750W
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero

Any glaring issues?
That's very close to what I'm building (except, as per above, I don't know which MB I'm going to get yet and I got 64 GB RAM since it's not just for gaming ;)). Also, I'm putting it into a Define C since I prefer it to be a bit smaller.

If you get a full-sized Define, make sure you get the version with the USB-C port, it's too bad they only have that on the R6 right now.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, once you use both M.2's as well as the 4xPCIe slot in that, you only have 3 SATA ports left.

I can't find anything that indicates that in the manual. The only interaction between M.2 that would drop you below 4 SATA ports is when you use a SATA M.2 drive, then you lose an additional SATA port. Using the third PCIE slot in x4 certainly costs you SATA 5-6.

You can throw a SATA card in and get a similar result. Either way with all this I/O you're going to be hitting the DMI 3.0 limit.

Of course it is very usage dependent, but I personally never found myself hampered by DMI 3.0 until I mixed heavy 10GbE (in the last PCIE slot) NAS activity with heavy local disk access.

Referring to the Z370 version of the same board..

Last edited:

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Finally am starting to order parts for my build since Intel announced 9th gen and Z390. My build is as follows:

9900K, Cryorig C7 with Thermaltake 100mm fan mod, Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/AC, G.Skill 32GB DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34), eVGA RTX 2080 Blower (whenever it comes out), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair SF600 Platinum (with custom PSU cables from pslatecables), Dan A4-SFX v2.

I've always gotten midrange parts for the last 15 years so this time I wanted to go high end! :D

joylevel11

Banned
May 19, 2018
I'm warming up to the idea of getting a 9900K. Looking at getting a Gigabyte Aorus z390 pro. While I'm at it I might as well upgrade to 32GB ram.

Probably gonna wait and see benchmarks. I'll be sticking with my 1070. I just really need a new CPU for video editing + music production. I was gonna wait for the new Ryzen CPUs next year.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Having trouble deciding on memory and an AIO CPU cooler for the following. It'll pretty much only be used for gaming but I definitely want to go with 32GB.

Phanteks Evolv X
ASUS Maximus XI Code Z390
Intel i9 9900K
NVIDIA 2080 Ti FE
EVGA 1200W P2

Any reccomendations?

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
You can throw a SATA card in and get a similar result. Either way with all this I/O you're going to be hitting the DMI 3.0 limit.
I'm never going to use all of it at the same time at full bandwidth, so I doubt that's going to be an issue.

I can't find anything that indicates that in the manual. The only interaction between M.2 that would drop you below 4 SATA ports is when you use a SATA M.2 drive, then you lose an additional SATA port. Using the third PCIE slot in x4 certainly costs you SATA 5-6..
Yeah, it seems you are right. And the Prime Z390-A should do the same thing while being a bit less gaudy.

Oct 27, 2017
Build complete. Will post pics tomorrow when I get it all set up. I call this the "I can't afford the I9-9900K and RTX 2080 Ti" Build. At least I got great deals on most of these parts!

CPU: AMD 2700X (planning to OC to 4.2GHz)

COOLER: EVGA 240mm CLC

GPU: EVGA SC GTX 1080 Ti

PSU: EVGA G1+ 650W Gold (fully modular)

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) at 3200MHz

MOBO: Asus X470 Crosshair Hero VII

CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C (dark tint)

FANS: 3x DeepCool RGB 120mm

STORAGE:
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVME 250GB (OS and programs)
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB (saved gameplay recordings and video edits)
Crucial MX500 SSD 500GB (game installs)

4 hours later...

zwFZdGx_d.jpg

I got it to post and load up Windows 10, but I'm tired so I can't run any benchmarks and tests.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Era, convince me if I should upgrade my GPU (...or CPU) or not. Feeling a bit of an itchy trigger finger but not sure. Budget maybe as high as 2080 Ti but dunno I want to spend that much.

Current setup:

1440p/144hz
16GB CL15 ddr4 3000
GTX 1070 (w/ nice OC)
1TB 960 evo
and some other goodies.

I play a variety of games, but I'd say overall typically not super modern/demanding games. Any thoughts?

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
That's very close to what I'm building (except, as per above, I don't know which MB I'm going to get yet and I got 64 GB RAM since it's not just for gaming ;)). Also, I'm putting it into a Define C since I prefer it to be a bit smaller.

If you get a full-sized Define, make sure you get the version with the USB-C port, it's too bad they only have that on the R6 right now.

Hah, yeah, 64 GB RAM would be a bit excessive for my current use case. I think I will start out with 16 GB, and maybe add 16 more down the line if it makes sense for gaming

Going for a smaller chassi is probably a good idea. I have to read up on that more before buying

Edit: Something to consider with the Define C is that both the rear and bottom fan spaces are restricted to 120 mm. Also, only 120 mm fans are included, so you have to buy any 140 mm fans that you may want extra. It is probably a bit silly to insist on 140 mm fans everywhere, especially considering the GPU fan situation, but it would in theory make the computer more silent ... An alternative approach would be a define c, 2x 140 mm front chassi fans, 2x 140 mm water cooler top fan, and no other chassi fans.

Last edited:

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Back panel audi connections died on my Gigabyte X470 gaming 7 WiFi (one week old board). It's not a driver issue, the soundchip or my headset. Frontpanel audio (case) works perfectly (via the internalt HD audio port).
I'm returning the Gigbayte board and ordered the Asus X470 Crosshair VII WiFi. Everytime I go with another brand over Asus somthing goes wrong. Just bad luck, but still annoying. I hate changing motherboards.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand

This is fine for office use. The CPU and GPU are not designed for gaming, and the GPU is roughly equivalent to a good gaming GPU from 2008 (rough estimate). The CPU is a 4C/8T Xeon which is good for office tasks, but doesn't have great clock speeds and won't do very well for games that are not capable of taking advantage of all 8 threads. The 256 GB SSD is nice, but isn't a ton of storage, so it'll be hard to store more than a handful of games locally. What purpose are you considering this system for?

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Quick question: Would a RX 580 8GB Nitro be decent enough for 1080p for the next few years? I don't game too much and it's but I'd like to play with decent-ish graphics for a few years.

My 6 years old computer is failing me sometimes and I've already started buying the parts to replace it (mobo + cpu + case + memory already bought)

I'm from Brazil so stuff is triple or more than what you guys spent but I found a real 30% off deal in the GPU

Edit: damm... already sold out

At the moment, the 580 8gb and the 1060 6gb are great for 1080p at high detail for 60fps, and I think that the 8gb of the 580 will provide a bit of longevity, specially considering that it has good DX12 support, I think these cards will be fine for a while until it's required to drop settings a bit to mantain 1080p60

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I've got tons of HDDs lying around so that's not a problem. Might get it and then throw a budget gpu in there later.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any recommendations for a monitor (or TV for that matter) around 40" used mostly for PC use/gaming but also for PS4 Pro? Have about £600 or under to spend as its a surprise replacement for my current old 40" 1080p TV that was being used as my computer monitor.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
I've been getting a display driver failed to start error in windows 10 when playing Fortnite and it'll crash my game to a black screen and I have to reset my PC.

I've tried uninstalling my graphic drivers and even rolling back to a prior driver, but it still keeps happening. I think it may have only occurred since updating windows 10 a few days ago, should I try rolling that update back?

Duck Sauce

Oct 30, 2017
United States
So i just received my RMA'd EVGA 2080ti Ultra and the rgb LED on it is blue. Never seen that before. I was able to change it with precision x1 but everytime i cold boot its back to blue. Anyone have this issue? My first 2080ti always booted up green. I mean its not really a large issue but it seems real odd.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
So i just received my RMA'd EVGA 2080ti Ultra and the rgb LED on it is blue. Never seen that before. I was able to change it with precision x1 but everytime i cold boot its back to blue. Anyone have this issue? My first 2080ti always booted up green. I mean its not really a large issue but it seems real odd.

Haven't seen their 2080 products but my kids 1060 is a blue white color by default.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about upgrading my cooling lately and finally doing some water cooling stuff...

I'm really not interested in dealing with custom loops and fluid maintenance and all that stuff so I was looking at a simple aio kit like maybe a Corsair one...

I was wondering, do they make kits like those that also offers gpu cooling? I imagine it would be more complicated since each card is different?

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I've been thinking about upgrading my cooling lately and finally doing some water cooling stuff...

I'm really not interested in dealing with custom loops and fluid maintenance and all that stuff so I was looking at a simple aio kit like maybe a Corsair one...

I was wondering, do they make kits like those that also offers gpu cooling? I imagine it would be more complicated since each card is different?

I'll say this: a large, high-quality air cooler (NH-D15 or Dark Rock Pro 4, as examples) will keep your CPU as cool as most liquid AIOs. The air coolers might be quieter, even. However, if you definitely want liquid cooling, EKWB.com has some configuration options that I believe are essentially AIO-style coolers but customized for your CPU + GPU.

The easier and probably cheaper solution, IMO, is to setup two AIOS: one for your CPU, and one for your GPU using a Kraken G12 bracket. I had a 240mm CPU AIO (Ryzen 1700) and a 140mm GPU AIO using the Kraken G12 bracket (1080 Ti) and it all worked amazingly well. I upgraded my CPU recently and now use an air cooler on that, but I swear that liquid cooling a GPU is one of the best upgrades to cooling I've ever done on any PC. It really makes a huge difference.

So, personally, I'd suggest going for the 2x AIO route, one for your CPU and one for your GPU with a Kraken bracket (assuming it'll fit). The next choice is to use an EKWB kit. Beyond that, the final option is to 1) buy a liquid cooled GPU straight from the factory (EVGA's Hybrid cards, for example), or buy a bracket designed specifically for your GPU (EVGA also sells these for their 1080 and 1080 Ti cards, for example).

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say this: a large, high-quality air cooler (NH-D15 or Dark Rock Pro 4, as examples) will keep your CPU as cool as most liquid AIOs. The air coolers might be quieter, even. However, if you definitely want liquid cooling, EKWB.com has some configuration options that I believe are essentially AIO-style coolers but customized for your CPU + GPU.

The easier and probably cheaper solution, IMO, is to setup two AIOS: one for your CPU, and one for your GPU using a Kraken G12 bracket. I had a 240mm CPU AIO (Ryzen 1700) and a 140mm GPU AIO using the Kraken G12 bracket (1080 Ti) and it all worked amazingly well. I upgraded my CPU recently and now use an air cooler on that, but I swear that liquid cooling a GPU is one of the best upgrades to cooling I've ever done on any PC. It really makes a huge difference.

So, personally, I'd suggest going for the 2x AIO route, one for your CPU and one for your GPU with a Kraken bracket (assuming it'll fit). The next choice is to use an EKWB kit. Beyond that, the final option is to 1) buy a liquid cooled GPU straight from the factory (EVGA's Hybrid cards, for example), or buy a bracket designed specifically for your GPU (EVGA also sells these for their 1080 and 1080 Ti cards, for example).
Cool, thanks for the answer.

Didn't think about dual aio. Not sure if I can fit all that in my case tho lol

Matbtz

Oct 27, 2017
Hello guys!

I built my first pc last Monday. I was very happy with it, it worked directly like a charm. It stayed on for the last 3 days to download games and all.
Last night I turned it off.
Today I turned it on and got a CPU fan error...

So I need some advice, my CPU fan is not spinning anymore.
I switched header, the CPU fan is still not spinning but the fan from the case is correctly spinning onto the CPU fan header.
There is nothing blocking the blades, no dust either. I tried to move a bit the different cables from the fan, in vain...

Is there anything I can try to tweak, any advice ?

Is my cpu fan dead? I cannot understand how it could die after 4 days ...

I was alone this weekend and wanted to geek all w-e...

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Hello guys!

I built my first pc last Monday. I was very happy with it, it worked directly like a charm. It stayed on for the last 3 days to download games and all.
Last night I turned it off.
Today I turned it on and got a CPU fan error...

So I need some advice, my CPU fan is not spinning anymore.
I switched header, the CPU fan is still not spinning but the fan from the case is correctly spinning onto the CPU fan header.
There is nothing blocking the blades, no dust either. I tried to move a bit the different cables from the fan, in vain...

Is there anything I can try to tweak, any advice ?

Is my cpu fan dead? I cannot understand how it could die after 4 days ...

I was alone this weekend and wanted to geek all w-e...
Could be dead. What cooler is it? Can you just swap the fan on your heatsink with one of your case fans (not sure if they're the same size or not)? Not a big deal to lose a case fan, but you want that heatsink fan.

If the fan won't do anything on any fan header, but other fans will, it's probably busted. Should be an easy RMA though.

One other thought, I imagine there should be a way to hook it up to the PSU directly just to make 100% sure it doesn't work.

Matbtz

Oct 27, 2017
Could be dead. What cooler is it? Can you just swap the fan on your heatsink with one of your case fans (not sure if they're the same size or not)? Not a big deal to lose a case fan, but you want that heatsink fan.

If the fan won't do anything on any fan header, but other fans will, it's probably busted. Should be an easy RMA though.

One other thought, I imagine there should be a way to hook it up to the PSU directly just to make 100% sure it doesn't work.

It is the base cooler of the ryzen 2600X.
I could try to mount the case fan onto the CPU heats ink.

For what it is worth in my BIOS if I spin manually the fan it is detected and the BIOS tells me at which rpm it turns.
Is it possible that some dust or hair or else is blocking my fan?
I do not think I can remove the blades from the socle with the cables though...

Status
Not open for further replies.