• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
AFAICS there isn't a single Z390 board which does what I want, regardless of price.

What I want is to have the following available at the same time:
  • 16x PCIe GPU
  • 4x PCIe capture card
  • 2 (better 3, but 2 would be OK) M.2 NVME drives
  • 4 SATA connections
It doesn't seem that unreasonable for a high-end board IMHO, but I've studied 5 manuals and it seems impossible on everything.
This sucks. Please tell me I missed a board.
This just dropped. The Supermicro C9Z390-PGW claims
Broadcom PEX8747 48-lane multi-host PCIe switch. The benefits of including stretch across the whole of the PCIe area as the board includes four full-length PCIe 3.0 slots with metal slot protection which are set up to operate in two different configurations; NA/x16/NA/x16 or at x8/x8/x8/x8."

Not sure if it will do NA/x16/x8/x8.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
This just dropped. The Supermicro C9Z390-PGW claims

Not sure if it will do NA/x16/x8/x8.
This is exactly what I would want, actually, thanks for the heads-up!
I'm a bit skeptical of Supermicro though (not because of the recent somewhat fanciful tales, but because of the reliability issues we had with some of their server hardware).

I'm really annoyed that all the other brands seem to diversify their lineup with MORE LEDS rather than something actually useful like adding a PCIe switch. And really, given the pricing of some of the more high end "gaming" boards cost cannot be the issue.

There isn't much of a reason to buy a 2080 or a 2080 Ti right now unless you're pushing 4K frames TODAY.
Or high-end VR.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
Nothing.
Ubi games come with their own tools lately.
I stumbled uppon this when trying to figure out why the game stutters on one system and not on the other.

Depends a bit on your resolution, desired settings and framerate.

The RX 570 is okay for FullHD, medium to high settings and 45-60 fps. If that's good enough for you, go for it.
A RX 580 is about 10-15% faster and ~$50 more expansive.
You can also find GTX 1070s for about $380. Still in your budget and plenty of performance for 1080p/60.

By the way, if there is some budget left. Try to get faster DDR4 memory (the amount is fine). Faster RAM is very helpfull with Ryzen CPUs and will also give you a nice boost in CPU heavy games.
Check ram compatibility before pulling the trigger though.
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-ab350-gaming3.pdf
If you are unsure what to take: Devide the "clockspeed" by the CL (first timings number). Higher endresults are usually better.
E.g. 3600/16=225 < 3466/15=231

A better GPU has the higher priority though.

I appreciate the help. Here's an updated build with a different Mobo and RAM.

As for graphics cards, which of these two would be the better investment?

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
- I'm not looking to overclock manually but I wouldn't mind the motherboard automatically doing it for me. I just don't care to have to keep track of temps, etc. So if there is a mobo that can achieve care free automatic overclocking then awesome and I want that. Otherwise no.
XFR2 has you covered, there's no need to manually OC a 2700X since XFR2 already does it automatically for you

Given the above I'm not sure if I would need an aftermarket cooler like the Noctua or if stock would be fine?
Stock is fine, but if you want better get the Cryorig M9a (best budget option) or the Scythe Mugen 5 ($50 cooler that competes with $80 competitors in performance)

As for the motherboard stuff you're better off just getting a good budget motherboard and getting a a bluetooth adapter.

Can anyone recommend a graphics card for this build?

I want to do some gaming, but the focus is more on graphics work and modeling.

Budget is $400 at most. I saw this on Newegg, and it looked like a good deal, but I'm not too familiar with graphics cards.

Thanks for the advice.
You can get a 1070 for under $400, but if you want a good 1080p card this is a good value

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The FTW2 GAMING ICX. Should run a bit faster and cooler out of the box, nothing crazy but price is so similar...

About the RAM. It's not listed as supported/tested on the MSI B350 Mate. It will probably work, but as you are buying new be safe and get something that's "guaranteed" to work at those speeds (or at least has a higher chance). Nothing wrong with 32GB, but there is currently no particular reason for gaming. 16GB are fine.

16GB
F4-3200C14D-16GVK. They are on the supported list, they are fast, and the chips are from Samsung (probably B-Die) $205

It's of course expansive for 16GB, but you can pick something else. Just make sure to check the compatibility list.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-PC-MATE#support-mem-12 [click on: Memory by Rx-1x00, make sure ram speed = supported speed]
Doesn't matter what Vendor you pick. G.Skill, HyperX, ADATA, Corsair... They all buy their chips from Hynix, Samsung or Micron anyway. Then they test them, wrap different shrouds around them and sell for a premium based on brand.

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at cases today and I cannot find anything quite to my liking. Right now I've got my original Storm Scout which has lasted me almost 9 years now and its been super durable and great but I've been thinking of either migrating the guts of my PC to a new case or maybe building a new machine altogether, maybe sometime next year when AMD has their new Ryzen stuff out.

Basically, I want a case that:
- Has either a durable handle or can be moved around easily
- Has plenty of room for future upgrades
- Has some RGB accents but not overkill
- Is made out of some nicer, premium materials

I've kind of waffled back and forth whether I would want a smaller micro or mini-ITX build or just get a mid-tower that's bigger. Cases that have caught my eye so far that sort of meet my criteria:
- Cooler Master MasterCase MC500Mt
- Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
- Phanteks Evolv Shift

The Cooler Master has that solid looking handle which I love since I end up traveling with my PC a decent amount and moving it around. But reading some and the case seems like its almost a full tower in terms of size which is maybe a bit much. The Evolv X is pretty much perfect in terms of looks with the RGB and nice looking materials... but it doesn't have a handle. The Evolv Shift I think just looks cool but that would definitely require just a whole new build and I've read some varying things on how easy it is to build in that one and how hot it can get in there if you're not primarily using liquid cooling.

Does anyone have the MC500Mt? Any thoughts on it? How about the Evolv X? If the Evolv X just had a handle or something built into the top, it would probably be my ideal case. I guess since I'm probably not building anything till sometime next year I'll just keep an eye on new cases as they come out.

osodemolay

Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking in retiring my GTX 970 and i5-2500k. I want to play at 4k or as close as possible, so I'm considering buying a 1080ti. My doubts are with the processor: Would a i5-8600/8500/8400 or a Ryzen 5 2600 be enough? Which one would you recommend?
If not, I guess I would have to buy a i7-8700, but I don't want to spend that much on a processor.
I appreciate any help!

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
At 4k it is more on the gpu than cpu so it probably won't matter too much between intel and amd. If you go amd go for the 2600x though over the 2600. It's not much more and it's auto boost feature is better than the 2600. I've done a lot of testing with a 1080ti at 4k and it takes a lot of horsepower to run. It's hard to keep 60fps at 4k even with a 1080ti. Though you can with Forza Horizon 4 and its gorgeous. You can run custom resolutions though like 1800P (3200 x 1800) to hold at least 60fps and this still scales well to 4k. At least it does on a 4k tv. Might be different for monitor.

Also newegg has an evga 1070ti on a daily deal for 409 with a 20 dollar mail in rebate:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...Homepage_Dailydeal-_-P3_14-487-387-_-10142018

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017
Sad I missed the 1070 ti sale but was still able to snag a 1070 for under $300 so I'm pretty excited about that. Here's to the first part of my new build.

Oct 25, 2017
Crossposting since I think maybe this is the best thread:
Guys can you suggest me a good wifi adapter?
Long time ago I've bought an ASUS AC54 (https://www.asus.com/it/Networking/USB-AC54/) to connect to my 5Ghz wifi connection. Apparently it sucks, I can't get a speed of over 5MB/s while with a laptop at the same range (or even further from the router) I can reach 25 MB/s (and that's the acceptable speed given the wifi reach + walls). Usually I didn't have particular problems, apart from the fact that it didn't connect to 2.4Ghz connection (even if it sees them) and that sometime it auto-resets. Reading online those seems to be common problems with this device.
Long story short: I need a new one, this time that doesn't suck. Is there any particular usb adapter worth of notice?

ps: No, I can't connect via ethernet cable

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
I'm thinking of getting that 1070 for SLI...That would be a terrible idea, I think? How is SLI support nowadays?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of getting that 1070 for SLI...That would be a terrible idea, I think? How is SLI support nowadays?

It's hit or miss. Some games scale well. Some games will not benefit, while others perform worse with SLI.

Unless you're really into a few games that you know scale well, I'd sell and reboot.

Last edited:

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
It's hit or miss. Some games scale well. Some games will not benefit, while others perform worse with SLI.

Unless you're really into a few games that you know scale well, I'd sell and reboot.

It's so hit and miss you might be better off selling yours and putting the money towards a 1080 or better.

I thought as much, depending on how much I can sell my 1070 for maybe I could look into getting a used 1080ti even.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Used prices where I am are insane... like within 5-10% (emphasis on 5) of buying the cards brand new.
Honestly since I really only want better hardware for 4k/60 a 2070 might be a better bet. Obviously it will be weaker than 1080ti for a similar price, but it has the benefit of DLSS and a 1080ti ain't quite a 4k/60 card either. I know it's only going to work for certain games but I'm interested to see how the technology plays out and if it actually looks comparable to native 4k. Hopefully a game will release soon that supports it so we can get a proper analysis of it.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Alright, I have a new employment opportunity coming up and the future bossman has asked me to go ahead and build some computers for the business to use. I'm gonna get a nice Windows-Based all-in-one computer for the front desk/reception area but I'm going to build 3 or 4 computers for myself and others to use.

I'll be primarily using CorelDraw which some "average" Photoshop and Illustrator use, so nothing gaming-wise necessary and I won't be touching video editing or the like.

This is what I've picked out so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($279.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($126.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.94 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master - N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($56.08 @ B&H)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($21.65 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: LG - 27UD58-B 27.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor ($296.00 @ Amazon)
Speakers: Logitech - Z200 0W 2ch Speakers ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Other: Rosewill RDCR-11003 74-in-1 USB 3.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB ($19.99 @ Newegg Business)
Other: Logitech - Wireless Keyboard and Optical Mouse ($22.99 @ Dell)
Total: $1284.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-14 15:30 EDT-0400

I'd love to be able to get that to $1000 flat if possible, though not necessary, but I dunno if I'd like move to an i3 or not.

Anything I'm forgetting? Anything I should swap out?

Thanks for anything you can help with.

Oct 29, 2017
Alright, I have a new employment opportunity coming up and the future bossman has asked me to go ahead and build some computers for the business to use. I'm gonna get a nice Windows-Based all-in-one computer for the front desk/reception area but I'm going to build 3 or 4 computers for myself and others to use.

I'll be primarily using CorelDraw which some "average" Photoshop and Illustrator use, so nothing gaming-wise necessary and I won't be touching video editing or the like.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($126.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.94 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($56.08 @ B&H)
Other: Rosewill RDCR-11003 74-in-1 USB 3.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB ($19.99 @ Newegg Business)

I'd love to be able to get that to $1000 flat if possible, but I dunno if I'd like move to an i3 or not.

970 Evo is a bit premium for a office computer, I think. Are you working directly off a server where everybody shares files?

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand

I'd love to be able to get that to $1000 flat if possible, though not necessary, but I dunno if I'd like move to an i3 or not.

Unless you're going to overclock (which I really don't recommend for an office build), you can drop that 9600k down to an 8600, 8500, or 8400. I think the 8400 goes for about $50 less. That'll move you closer to your $1000 budget. I'm also not sure you need an M.2 SSD - just get a cheaper 2.5" SSD. Similarly, the mITX motherboard seems unnecessary in a mATX case - get a mATX board instead and you should be able to save a bit more.

Just my suggestions.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
Tested both the Asus Crosshair VII WiFi and the Gigabyte Gaming 7 WiFi.
The Asus has BlueTooth 4.2 and the Gigabyte BlueTooth 5.0 support.

Both have the same Realtek SupremeFX S1220A Codec audio codec and shielded DACs + their own proprietary audio software (which I'm not using). They both sound good.
The Gigabyte Backpanel Audiojacks died after about one week on me though. But that's certainly just massive bad luck on my side.

Both mainboards are extremly good, very well build, have superior VRMs etc. Nothing to complain on that front.

Overclocking on the Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 is complicated, especially the RAM. The auto OC feature sucks, it applies way to much voltage, the whole system runs instable, ram is getting tortured (if it works in the first place). Even manual overclocking isn't great, the board has a bus clock generator but it barely works or it screws up the PCIe lanes. RAM overclocking has to be done manually, for the most part.
Long story short: The hardware is there, the Bios is lackluster.

The Asus Crosshair VII has two very nice auto oc features. Asynchronous BCLK and you can unlock XFR. XFR is similar to nvidias GPU boost technology. It allows your CPU to adjust clockspeeds based on power consumption, temperature, voltage etc. This is a feature on all AMD boards btw, but ASUS offers you the option to go beyond the standard AMD presets. The option is called Performance Enchacer in the bios and has 4 levels: level 1 and 2 are AMD presets and lvl 3 and lvl 4 are from ASUS.

On my 2700x:
LVL 1 = 3950MHz on all cores
LVL 2 = 4000MHz on all cores
LVL 3 = 4088MHz on all cores [@1.35-1.38V]
LVL 4 = 4192MHz on all cores [@1.40-1.42V. You shoudn't go over 1.42V. I'd even recommend to stay below 1.39V]

Results may be different on your CPU though

Set performance mode to lvl 3 and enjoy nearly 4.1GHz on all cores, set it to lvl 4 and you have your auto 4.2 GHz OC feature.
For more advance overclocking: You can combine the unlocked XFR mode with the Core Ratio, you can apply a negative/positive Vcore offset and you can adjust the CPU BCLK independent of the RAM+PCIe BCLK (asynchonous mode). This Bios is feature packed and it works very well (so far)!

RAM overclocking on the Asus was even more simple for me: There are dedicated Samsung B-Die profiles that work very well (and are well made!). As my ram usess samsung b-die chips it was as easy as selecting the profile and pressing enter. Can't say how well it works for different RAM.

edit:
I flashed my Asus bios to the newest version while writting this and now unlocked XFR does no longer work with core ratio, but still with the asynchronous CPU BCLK. Whatever, not a big problem in the first place.
Would the Asus Prime X470-Pro have the same basic overclocking figures as its bigger, more expensive brother there?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Unless you're going to overclock (which I really don't recommend for an office build), you can drop that 9600k down to an 8600, 8500, or 8400. I think the 8400 goes for about $50 less. That'll move you closer to your $1000 budget. I'm also not sure you need an M.2 SSD - just get a cheaper 2.5" SSD. Similarly, the mITX motherboard seems unnecessary in a mATX case - get a mATX board instead and you should be able to save a bit more.

Just my suggestions.

Cool. Dropped in a 8400 and swapped the M.2 for Crucial 2.5" SSD.

I really like the idea of the motherboard having Wi-Fi and Bluetooth onboard so I don't need to deal with a internal card or USB adapter, and it's looking like most of the boards that have that built in are mATX boards anyway, though I did put in a cheaper variant of the motherboard in my first post.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - H310M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($116.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.95 @ B&H)
Total: $1114.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-14 16:39 EDT-0400

Only looks like I managed to shave off roughly $170, but every bit counts I guess.

Edit: Ah, looks like the 8400 comes with a CPU cooler, I can drop the one on my list.

Motherboard: ASRock - H310M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($116.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1089.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-14 16:48 EDT-0400

Edit 2: Went with a Barebones Power Supply as well.

Power Supply: Corsair - VS 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1053.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-14 16:59 EDT-0400

Last edited:

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
Hey guys,

Gonna shove aside may ~3 year old build and make a new one to go along with a 9900k/2080ti

Just 2 questions:

1) besides upgraded USB ports, what would the advantage be of a z390 board over a z370?

2) when I try to sell the older stuff online, is it better to sell it as a built unit as is, or separately as parts?

Thanks!

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys,

Gonna shove aside may ~3 year old build and make a new one to go along with a 9900k/2080ti

Just 2 questions:

1) besides upgraded USB ports, what would the advantage be of a z390 board over a z370?

2) when I try to sell the older stuff online, is it better to sell it as a built unit as is, or separately as parts?

Thanks!

1) Depending on the board, better WiFi, Bluetooth, and potentially better power delivery (with benefit TBD)

I'd say for a new build, I'd go Z390 without question. For most Z370 users, probably not worth the upgrade.

2) Separate

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
1) Depending on the board, better WiFi, Bluetooth, and potentially better power delivery (with benefit TBD)

I'd say for a new build, I'd go Z390 without question. For most Z370 users, probably not worth the upgrade.

2) Separate

1) generally, what's the difference between an ASUS ROG strix -e gaming board and an ASUS ROG Maximus Hero board?

Just accessory feature difference?

2) thanks!

Nov 1, 2017
It it my imagination or are 1080 ti's suddenly going poof. Talking to a guy about my new build and he mentioned they were getting harder to find, today I go to look at memoryexpress who had a big collection and now it's..........two. Other sites are sold out or not available. What happened to that "surplus" we hard awhile back?

Oct 29, 2017
It it my imagination or are 1080 ti's suddenly going poof. Talking to a guy about my new build and he mentioned they were getting harder to find, today I go to look at memoryexpress who had a big collection and now it's..........two. Other sites are sold out or not available. What happened to that "surplus" we hard awhile back?
As I understood it, nvidia made too many chips and the board partners that make non reference models did not want them all, so they probably do not translate to cards hat were actually manufactured in the end.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine the 1080 ti will have had a boom in sales thanks to the 2xxx prices as well. I ended up getting 1080 ti after waiting for the new cards and then just thinking neither of the three 2xxx cards was worth what they were charging. It helped that retailers here in the UK dropped the price on them to basically the same price as they're charging for the 2070 founders edition. I know at least 3 other people who also did the same thing.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine the 1080 ti will have had a boom in sales thanks to the 2xxx prices as well. I ended up getting 1080 ti after waiting for the new cards and then just thinking neither of the three 2xxx cards was worth what they were charging. It helped that retailers here in the UK dropped the price on them to basically the same price as they're charging for the 2070 founders edition. I know at least 3 other people who also did the same thing.

This is what many people on the fence did. The 2080ti looks nifty on paper but that cost is seriously epic.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Seems like 8th gen Intel CPUs are going poof, too. Lots of out of stock situations over the last week or two, and prices gradually rising. That's due to manufacturing bottlenecks, but damn. Good time to buy AMD CPUs, SSDs, and RAM is dropping too at least.

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah the plan was to get a 1080 ti here too after seeing the 2080's and being less than impressed with the price and performance. Lots of folks appear to have done the same.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Where can I buy replacement modular psu cables for my Seasonic x750? I somehow lost the set of cables I did not need at the time I bought it and now will probably need a new cpu power cable for the z390 motherboards since I only have an 8pin cpu cable available.

Or would I be fine just using the 8pin cable I have? The motherboard I am interested in is the Asrock Taichi and I see that it has 8 and 4 pin connectors

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
1) generally, what's the difference between an ASUS ROG strix -e gaming board and an ASUS ROG Maximus Hero board?

Just accessory feature difference?

2) thanks!
The hero has better vrms which means in theory it can overclock your 9900k better and sustain that overclock.

If you are getting the 9900k spend the extra money on the better motherboard.

Seems like 8th gen Intel CPUs are going poof, too. Lots of out of stock situations over the last week or two, and prices gradually rising. That's due to manufacturing bottlenecks, but damn. Good time to buy AMD CPUs, SSDs, and RAM is dropping too at least.

I keep looking at new ssds but hold because the prices have been constantly going down. Might have to bite on a m.2 drive.

Oct 25, 2017
OK I'm about to order the ASUS PG279Q as I need a new monitor to go with the RTX 2080 that is arriving in a couple of days, someone tell me if I've made a huge mistake.

CharpyImpact

Oct 26, 2017
Hi all. I am looking to replace my router. I am definitely looking for a router that has extremely good reliability, good range, and good quality of service features/handle NAT issues well. Currently i use an asus rt-n66u with last legacy version of Merlin on in but it is running into stability issues.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Where can I buy replacement modular psu cables for my Seasonic x750? I somehow lost the set of cables I did not need at the time I bought it and now will probably need a new cpu power cable for the z390 motherboards since I only have an 8pin cpu cable available.

Or would I be fine just using the 8pin cable I have? The motherboard I am interested in is the Asrock Taichi and I see that it has 8 and 4 pin connectors

Contact SeaSonic directly. Alternatively, you can buy something like a CableMod or BitFenix Alchemy 2.0 custom sleeved cable set, just make sure you're getting a kit that is meant specifically for your model of PSU.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

Think we'll get any good Black Friday deals?

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Think we'll get any good Black Friday deals?

SSDs? Yeah - I expect some big discounts.
AMD CPUs? Yeah.
AMD GPUs? Yeah.
Nvidia? Eh... not holding my breath.
Intel CPUs? Maybe. Depends if they've got their shortage issues straightened out by then. I don't think they will have it fixed that quickly. Maybe some discounts on the 9th gen but I wouldn't expect drastic price cuts so soon after launch.
RAM? Yeah.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would the Asus Prime X470-Pro have the same basic overclocking figures as its bigger, more expensive brother there?

Judging by this video: https://youtu.be/ywgjTB-YqWM

Yes, the basic stuff seems to be there. The more advance options like "unlocked XFR"/performance enchancer, asynchronous BCLK, dedicated Samsung B-Die profiles etc. seem to be missing.
That said, I'm sure you can reach the same results as on the X470 CH VII. It just needs more manual work.

Debating between a 1070 ti or a regular 1080... help me decide y'all.

1080 is ~10% faster. In the end: It comes down to your needs, performance expectations, your budget and the price difference.
If the price difference is miniscule in your eyes, go for the 1080.
If the 1080 is significantly more expansive and you don't need the extra 10%: go for the 1070Ti.

Last edited:

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Another dual monitor question.

I guess the issue of stuttering on a 144/60hz combo is still unavoidable?

The only way I have managed to fix this is...

Lower 144 to 120hz.
Games run in full screen only.

That about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.