• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
Building a new machine for gaming. Already bought the case and sticking with Corsair ram as I get a discount. Not 100% on the processor or motherboard at all. I just narrowed down by choosing one with USB 3.1 Gen 2.
PC Part Picker list

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Valentines Day Edition? :p

sylHnu5.jpg

That's patently absurd and I like it.

Mr_Mondee

Nov 23, 2017
So I am selling my EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid for £350-400 and the plan was to buy a new RTX 2080 @ around £650.

However I have managed to find a nearly new GTX 1080TI Hybrid for £500.

I have a 1440p 144hz monitor and a Ryzen 5 2600 @4.15gh. Is it worth spending the extra £150 on the RTX 2080?

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure if this is the right place but looking for keyboard advice... yes keyboard.
I work from home 4-5 days a week so a shit load of regular 'work' and I also use the same PC for games (a bit of everything).

I currently use a Razer Deathstalker Chroma which I bought maybe 1.5 years ago but it's already failing in a few spots. Keys getting stuck etc etc. Honestly I never really liked the keyboard but it was too late to return by the time I realised

I don't want a mechanical keyboard unless you can get some that are vastly quieter than what the people I play with on Discord have as it drives me nuts... clack clack clack clack. Other than that I am open to anything - no budget as such but would like one to last a few years.

Thanks!

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the right place but looking for keyboard advice... yes keyboard.
I work from home 4-5 days a week so a shit load of regular 'work' and I also use the same PC for games (a bit of everything).

I currently use a Razer Deathstalker Chroma which I bought maybe 1.5 years ago but it's already failing in a few spots. Keys getting stuck etc etc. Honestly I never really liked the keyboard but it was too late to return by the time I realised

I don't want a mechanical keyboard unless you can get some that are vastly quieter than what the people I play with on Discord have as it drives me nuts... clack clack clack clack. Other than that I am open to anything - no budget as such but would like one to last a few years.

Thanks!

Look into Cherry Silent or Browns switches or the equivalent for those manufacters who use their own switches like Logitech (Romer-G).

Omega.X

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks to eBay I was able to put together an extra computer for my office under $300.

Specs:
6-Core Xeon W3690 @3.73ghz
24GB Ram
Radeon RX 470 4GB
240gb SSD and 1TB HDD

Link Here - Not bad at all! The best budget PC i've been able to come up with by far.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I can go one better........a ten second video. :p

Not as eccentric as some in this thread but I love the color purple :)

I did try to post pics but the lighting looks completely overblown and you cant see anything.

Haha nice! With that spinning strobe effect I think a "red alert" theme would look awesome. Also is that a cat I hear?

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha nice! With that spinning strobe effect I think a "red alert" theme would look awesome. Also is that a cat I hear?

Its actually my kids toy lol, the case itself is beautiful. scared to take the plastic coating off the glass :p

Temps:

(Previous case) Mastercase Pro 6: CPU full load 48c - GPU full load 58c

NZXT H500i: CPU 41c full load - GPU full load 66c

Cooler cpu but a hotter gpu, think its because its sitting in a lower pci-e slot and also its closed front case. Still, Im happy :)

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Its actually my kids toy lol, the case itself is beautiful. scared to take the plastic coating off the glass :p

Temps:

(Previous case) Mastercase Pro 6: CPU full load 48c - GPU full load 58c

NZXT H500i: CPU 41c full load - GPU full load 66c

Cooler cpu but a hotter gpu, think its because its sitting in a lower pci-e slot and also its closed front case. Still, Im happy :)

Well congrats it looks great! And those temps are relatively nice and chilly overall.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I asked this earlier but I'll ask again: How much should the lack of a USB-C port on a case influence buying decisions? I see some cases that I like just a little less have a USB-C port on the front and I'm wondering if that should push it over the edge when looking at cases that are $150+?

I can go one better........a ten second video. :p

Not as eccentric as some in this thread but I love the color purple :)

I did try to post pics but the lighting looks completely overblown and you cant see anything.

reminds me of some of the clubs we have here in Miami.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I asked this earlier but I'll ask again: How much should the lack of a USB-C port on a case influence buying decisions? I see some cases that I like just a little less have a USB-C port on the front and I'm wondering if that should push it over the edge when looking at cases that are $150+?

reminds me of some of the clubs we have here in Miami.

What do you plan on doing with said USB-C port? Many MOBO's have them so if it's that important you could probably just pick up a MOBO with it and get the case you like better.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I am thinking about upgrading my 970 to a 2070 or 2080, but would my CPU hold me back? I currently have a 6600K.

If it helps I just last week went from a 970 to a 2070 and I am extremely happy. I have a i7 6700k, I know it's not a 6600 but it's pretty damn close.

My FPS is now solid and I no longer worry about fiddling with settings (which was my goal).

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I am thinking about upgrading my 970 to a 2070 or 2080, but would my CPU hold me back? I currently have a 6600K.

As long as you're not targeting anything like crazy like 120fps on ultra I think you'll be fine. If you haven't already and you got the an appropriate MOBO and cooling you could always overclock to get some more power.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't want to create a thread for this, so I figured you guys could help.

I've considered getting into PC gaming for a bit now. I did game on PC back in the Quake Arena days--yeah a long time ago lol. If I did get a PC, it would solely be used for gaming as I can't stand Windows for productivity. However, I do have eGPU compatible iMac. I can install Windows via Bootcamp and do gaming there. That would remove the need to have another desk setup with a PC on it as well. I could always get a bigger desk as well lol. But seems overkill. But the PC platform interests me more these days since BC is basically guaranteed. Also, consoles are becoming more like PCs anyway. Instead of hoping and praying Sony or MS guarantee B/C going forward, I'll jus

My only concern is the support for this stuff. Are these well supported across the library of modern PC games?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Didn't want to create a thread for this, so I figured you guys could help.

I've considered getting into PC gaming for a bit now. I did game on PC back in the Quake Arena days--yeah a long time ago lol. If I did get a PC, it would solely be used for gaming as I can't stand Windows for productivity. However, I do have eGPU compatible iMac. I can install Windows via Bootcamp and do gaming there. That would remove the need to have another desk setup with a PC on it as well. I could always get a bigger desk as well lol. But seems overkill. But the PC platform interests me more these days since BC is basically guaranteed. Also, consoles are becoming more like PCs anyway. Instead of hoping and praying Sony or MS guarantee B/C going forward, I'll jus

My only concern is the support for this stuff. Are these well supported across the library of modern PC games?

eGPU's should be handled at a system/hardware level the game isn't really relevant. (I'm not remotely familiar with apple's implementation though so there's a chance you may run into issues there) Keep in mind when using an eGPU you are sacrificing some performance on the GPU, the CPU in your iMac may be a limiting factor, and the eGPU dock (which is the size of a small desktop) has to be powered separately so I'm not sure if it's the best solution for you if you're worried about desk space.

If gaming is your only focus maybe consider an HTPC (Home Theater PC) aka a small desktop you put in your entertainment center.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If it helps I just last week went from a 970 to a 2070 and I am extremely happy. I have a i7 6700k, I know it's not a 6600 but it's pretty damn close.

My FPS is now solid and I no longer worry about fiddling with settings (which was my goal).
As long as you're not targeting anything like crazy like 120fps on ultra I think you'll be fine. If you haven't already and you got the an appropriate MOBO and cooling you could always overclock to get some more power.

Thanks. My goal is to play at 1440p since I have been on 1080 for so long. But I only need 60FPS.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
This modern AI OC stuff is pretty great. It was in it's primitive stages on my X79 board, but it is vastly improved (as it should be) today. I'm at 4.8ghz now and temps were in mid 60s or so. Curious how another 200mhz will raise temps.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
My first attempt at the site so hopefully this works:: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/robertr1/saved/#view=JL8D23

I didn't list the super expensive ones as I figured only a few people are looking for those and likely not needing a build guide for that audience.

I can't comment on other builds as my build and research was more towards the high end.

Alright, all updated now with the Z390 list. Thanks for your help. I like this approach and will try to take it for other builds/parts, too, but it'll take a long time to do this for all builds.

Nov 5, 2017
Looks like GTX 1660 Ti is actually going to be a product. Packaging details have leaked from AiBs and the specs had leaked a couple of weeks back as well. Just hilarious that Nvidia is going with this product numbering scheme. LOL!

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sooooo Amazon has this oddball Radeon 570 with a single DVI out for $120: https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-GDDR5-DVI-D-Graphics/dp/B07MJLZXTH/

My current monitor, which I'm not planning to replace, uses DVI. Other than the fact that I'd be missing outputs, are there reasons this would be a terrible mistake?

That is a very nice 1080p card at that price, dont see any inconvinient on only having one DVI if you dont plan to change your monitor.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Sooooo Amazon has this oddball Radeon 570 with a single DVI out for $120: https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-GDDR5-DVI-D-Graphics/dp/B07MJLZXTH/

My current monitor, which I'm not planning to replace, uses DVI. Other than the fact that I'd be missing outputs, are there reasons this would be a terrible mistake?

Sounds like a mining card a few board manufacturers released stripped down ones with fewer or even no video out to try to cash in on the mining craze.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Shouldn't make a difference in performance, right?

More than likely not but you'll be limited by DVI port if you ever decided to swap monitors (I get you say you won't but I've said similar things in the past and got screwed over by it). DVI Dual Link can do 4k 30 or 1440p 60 max. Also I noticed the clock is a bit lower than a lot of other options so you'll probably won't see as great performance as some others.

So if you're alright with those caveats you should be ok.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I've searched but didn't see anything mentioned.

To anyone with the inwin A1 - did you have any issues with the included PSU? If I put the system to sleep, it will not wake up until I unplug the PSU for an extended period.

I've used an another PSU for testing and ran into no issues.

That being said - has anyone replaced the PSU in this system? I understand that I'll lose the wireless charging when off (I do not particularly care). I can't find any good tutorials on this, only brief mentions of it being done.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018

If you don't have integrated video w/ your CPU, you can't easily add a second monitor.

And no audio passed over a DVI-DVI connection, but if you're currently on DVI, it's probably not an issue for you.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
so I bought a 27 inch 1440p 165hz IPS korean monitor. I love the monitor overall - color is fantastic, refresh rate is great, and I only payed 300 for it.

But I gotta say, I'm kind of regretting it now that I'm getting in to apex. I was always an FPS player and I always play my games at 144 fps minimum.. I don't even think thats possible right now on 1440p except maybe with a 2080 ti. With all my apex settings turned to dogshit mode I can hover around 100 with a ryzen 7 and a 1080. I'm considering just using it as a third monitor and getting a 1080p 240hz TN monitor when the new ryzens come out in june. Or just waiting and balling out on the next gen nvidia card

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's pretty damn weird. I don't understand why they wouldn't just go with GTX 2050 and 2050 ti.
I guess they fear using the 20XX branding will make people assume it will have some kind of RTX feature set, when those cards clearly won't. Why they dont go with 1065 or something along those lines I dunno.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess they fear using the 20XX branding will make people assume it will have some kind of RTX feature set, when those cards clearly won't. Why they dont go with 1065 or something along those lines I dunno.

I think hardly anyone even knows about Rtx and if it says GTX and not Rtx I don't see the issue.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
absolutely nothing. Just thinking about future-proofing, as I don't want to be bothered with buying another case in the next few years.

maybe USB-C on the back is enough? idk.

Nearly every USB C cable at my house has a USB-A on the end I would otherwise plug into my computer and the 1 device that didn't come with that still functions perfectly with any USB C-A cable. USB type C doesn't really do anything type-a can't right now barring eGPU's over thunderbolt and display output and that's limited to a select subset of them that I can't see working over a front case port so any "future proofing" would be pointless on a Desktop.

Last edited:

Bloodember

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

Thanks!
Look into Das Keyboards. They are mechanical, but you can get quiet switches. Great keyboards for work and gaming.

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
I currently have a ROG Strix 1070 and am considering upgrading to a ROG Strix 2080.

On my 1070, the LEDs died after a couple of years on my card. I've read online this has to do with the tubing or something that ASUS uses. Does anyone know if this has been fixed for the 20XX cards?

Zumbug

Oct 28, 2017
JFYI - There is a 970 Evo Plus drive that just came out recently, it's a bit cheaper than the 970 Evo and quite a bit faster in read & write.

Make sure you pick up the Plus, no 2TB until April but 256, 512 and 1TB is on sale.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
JFYI - There is a 970 Evo Plus drive that just came out recently, it's a bit cheaper than the 970 Evo and quite a bit faster in read & write.

Make sure you pick up the Plus, no 2TB until April but 256, 512 and 1TB is on sale.

Got the 500GB from B&H for $127.99, free s/h and no tax. :D

intheflorsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is a GTX 2060 and a 3750k (not OC'd) going to be enough for 1080p/60FPS for most games?

Edit: Thanks for the replies

Last edited:

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Is a GTX 2060 and a 3750k (not OC'd) going to be enough for 1080p/60FPS for most games?

2060 - Absotively Posilutely
3750K - Ehhhhh depends on what those games are. Im not comfortable giving a 100% yes but I think you should be good in many. Definitely overclock it if you aren't already and have the appropriate hardware.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.