• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks. I was reading the link you sent me and wasn't sure if this is something to worry about. Are these considered "big" laptops?
You know, I'm not so sure about that model. There is a another Pavilion 15 that is thicker with vents in the back and those are the pictures I originally found of someone upgrading the ram. I think that one on the store has the same body of this other one, but with gaming oriented changes.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Pavilion-15-Core-i5-8250U-NVIDIA-MX130-Laptop-Review.393556.0.html
The review points out a noisy fan under load, so I guess cooling is not the best it could be.

On that store I think this other HP Pavilion 15 may have that thicker body with vents in the back:
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers...ion-15-cx0205tx-15-6-gaming-laptop-i5/342568/

Another bigger laptop with similar specs would be this Acer Nitro 5
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers...15-52-52bx-15-6-full-hd-gaming-laptop/339300/
But it comes without an SSD, and is just not as slick looking.

Last edited:

Erdnuckel01

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like an idiot, and I need help.

Upgraded to a MSI Tomahawk B450/Ryzen 5 2600x. I have everything working fine, except my front and rear case fans. I can't find a place to plug them in on the motherboard. All the plugs on the mobo are 4 pins, and the case fan plugs only have 3 holes.

You can connect your case fans to the 4 pin connectors on the bord, if you look closely there should be a plastic tab at 3 of the pins on the mainbord, allign these with the plastic "rails" (sorry don't know the right expression for this) on the connector of your fan and it will slide in. The fourth pin on the board is needed if your case fan supports PWM.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
You can connect your case fans to the 4 pin connectors on the bord, if you look closely there should be a plastic tab at 3 of the pins on the mainbord, allign these with the plastic "rails" (sorry don't know the right expression for this) on the connector of your fan and it will slide in. The fourth pin on the board is needed if your case fan supports PWM.

Ya, I figured it out shortly after. Thanks for the response anyway, I appreciate it.

And ya, I feel dumb as hell right now.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, looking around the web I can see people saying the TDP gets a bit nutty with turbo boost going on. Not really sure what else I can do without changing to a bigger case and sticking a big ass cooler on it. Case I currently have doesn't actually have a front panel fan (nowhere to put one) so I guess the 9700K ain't to be for this case. Might go back to a BitFenix prodigy, lots of room but bigger than i'd like.

I just hope this is a phase, or we will all be forced to watercool every system we buy in the future. Used to be just fine air cooling a CPU as long as you were not overclocking. But hitting damn near 90 degrees while gaming at stock levels is ridiculous, even on air man. Having to disable potential just to get your stock settings without seeing such crazy temps is annoying.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The Gaming Pro Carbon has a few extra features that the Tomahawk lacks, like integrated wifi, an audio AMP with a better sound chip (Realtek ALC1220 on the Pro Carbon vs Realtek ALC892 on the Tomahawk), an aditional M.2 port (but I would suspect some part of the price difference may be the RGB). Physically it is closer to the X470 Gaming Plus, but without the X470 features( SLI) and with and added wifi module. (edit the X470 Gaming Plus seems to also have the Realtek ALC892).

The Tomahawk is perfectly fine though. VRM seems to be just as good.
The A-Pro seems to be the same as the Tomhawk just with different ports, lighting and aesthetics.

Cool, thanks!

Though I wonder, these say they're for Ryzen 1st and 2nd gens - will they work with the 3rd gen Ryzens that are supposedly just around the corner? Or will those only work on newer/more expensive motherboards? 🤔

Basically, how future proof are they (the motherboards listed above)?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, thanks!

Though I wonder, these say they're for Ryzen 1st and 2nd gens - will they work with the 3rd gen Ryzens that are supposedly just around the corner? Or will those only work on newer/more expensive motherboards? 🤔

Basically, how future proof are they (the motherboards listed above)?

Will work with Ryzen 3000 for sure.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How much of a difference is there between 2600 and 2600X framerate wise with a GTX 1060?

I really think I need a new CPU, currently a Ryzen 3 2200G (and a new mobo probably, my current one seems to be pretty shit)

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Walmart has some Ryzen deals at the moment:
  • Ryzen 3 2200G - $80 (same on Amazon)
  • Ryzen 5 2400G - $120
  • Ryzen 5 2600 - $145
  • Ryzen 5 2600x - $160 (EDIT - Amazon how has this price as well)
  • Ryzen 7 2700 - $190
  • Ryzen 7 2700x - $280 (same on Amazon)
Also includes codes for Division 2 Gold Edition and World War Z (except with the 2200G).
EDIT - Not 100% sure Walmart gets the codes. They're advertised in the listing, but some reviews mention not getting codes for other promotions, and Walmart isn't listed here.
Which of those would be a decent upgrade over an Nvidia 980?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Which of those would be a decent upgrade over an Nvidia 980?
If you're looking for a CPU to pair with a GTX 980? The 2600 and 2600x are the easiest to recommend for general gaming use. Pair either with a B450 motherboard and 16GB DDR4 RAM (3000 or 3200).

Depends on what CPU you're running now, whether you plan on doing heavy duty steaming/encoding, what your budget is, etc.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How much of a difference is there between 2600 and 2600X framerate wise with a GTX 1060?

I really think I need a new CPU, currently a Ryzen 3 2200G (and a new mobo probably, my current one seems to be pretty shit)

~100MHz difference with auto boost. Depending on your cooling and silicon lottery it could be smaller, or slightly higher. When manually overclocking 3.9-4.1 is the average range for the 2600 and 4.0-4.2 for the 2600x. You can, very well, end up both with a 2600x and 2600 clocking very similar. Honestly: with a gtx 1060 you will reach your GPU limit in most games before the 100MHz difference can make a dent in your FPS. It's ok to have and it will make some games a bit more stable, and it can make sense for high fps systems or for a system utilizing variable refresh rates.
The 2600 is a beast from a priece/performance perspective.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018

Ryzen 5 2600X vs. 2600: Which should you buy? Is the X Worth It?

With a 1060, you probably won't see much difference between 2600 and 2600x, as you're GPU limited not CPU limited in most games. But the article does mention the x has a better stock cooler (if you'd be using it).

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
~100MHz difference with auto boost. Depending on your cooling and silicon lottery it could be smaller, or slightly higher. When manually overclocking 3.9-4.1 is the average range for the 2600 and 4.0-4.2 for the 2600x. You can, very well, end up both with a 2600x and 2600 clocking very similar. Honestly: with a gtx 1060 you will reach your GPU limit in most games before the 100MHz difference can make a dent in your FPS. It's ok to have and it will make some games a bit more stable, and it can make sense for high fps systems or for a system utilizing variable refresh rates.
The 2600 is a beast from a priece/performance perspective.
Ryzen 5 2600X vs. 2600: Which should you buy? Is the X Worth It?

With a 1060, you probably won't see much difference between 2600 and 2600x, as you're GPU limited not CPU limited in most games. But the article does mention the x has a better stock cooler (if you'd be using it).
There's not a huge difference between your 1060 and the rx580 used in this video:

Ah, I see, so a 2600 should be good enough for my GPU, thanks guys!

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Walmart has some Ryzen deals at the moment:
  • Ryzen 3 2200G - $80 (same on Amazon)
  • Ryzen 5 2400G - $120
  • Ryzen 5 2600 - $145
  • Ryzen 5 2600x - $160 (EDIT - Amazon how has this price as well)
  • Ryzen 7 2700 - $190
  • Ryzen 7 2700x - $280 (same on Amazon)
Also (maybe?) includes codes for Division 2 Gold Edition and World War Z (except with the 2200G).
EDIT - Not 100% sure Walmart gets the codes. They're advertised in the listing, but some reviews mention not getting codes for other promotions, and Walmart isn't listed here.
Are these prices likely to stick? I've had my eye on the Ryzen 2700 but I wasn't planning on building a new system until next month after the Oculus Rift S is released. Debating whether to jump on it now.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Are these prices likely to stick? I've had my eye on the Ryzen 2700 but I wasn't planning on building a new system until next month after the Oculus Rift S is released. Debating whether to jump on it now.
Guys seriously.

stop falling for these sales on the current Ryzen CPUs. The new ones are right around the corner in two months and they are going to have massive performance increases.

Ryzen 2000s are on sale all the time because retailers are clearing inventory before no one wants them.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So im not really looking to upgrade yet, but I'd still like to get some opinions on the best way to move forward. I have an i7 4790k with 16 gigs of ram and a 1070. It still runs things very, very well. It kind of feels like the next thing I should do is get a new motherboard and processor, right? Maybe 32 gigs of ram with that?

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys seriously.

stop falling for these sales on the current Ryzen CPUs. The new ones are right around the corner in two months and they are going to have massive performance increases.

Ryzen 2000s are on sale all the time because retailers are clearing inventory before no one wants them.
Thats the thing though, the new ones will be shit expensive, so I maybe have to pay ~250 for 2600 performance? (I dunno how likely that is but I think it's possible)
And then the things get delayed, etc, etc

I'm not pc gaming for long but 1 thing I learned already, you *always* buy at the wrong time, and sometimes things even become more pricey because the new ones suck (respectively speaking)

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So im not really looking to upgrade yet, but I'd still like to get some opinions on the best way to move forward. I have an i7 4790k with 16 gigs of ram and a 1070. It still runs things very, very well. It kind of feels like the next thing I should do is get a new motherboard and processor, right? Maybe 32 gigs of ram with that?

If performance is still good for you, don't change it. We are about one to one and a half years away from a new console generation and things will, probably, change pretty hefty with that. PCI-E 4.0 is arriving, new 16 core mainstream CPUs, new 7nm GPUs and probably new high end Nvidia GPUs next year.
Wait out till next gen consoles launches, adjust accordingly and upgrade then.
Unless you really want something new now. The urge is sometimes hard to mute.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Guys seriously.

I'm trying to build on a budget so getting the latest and greatest isn't a priority for me. The 2700 seems sufficient for my VR needs and I just want to make sure I get the best deal on it. I don't have any knowledge of typical pricing trends for this stuff.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Saw that the 9900k was on sale on Newegg for $460 and decided that was enough to pick over getting a 9700K which is only $50 cheaper.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xNyzQZ

This is my current build so far. I really need to decide what AIO cooler I want to put into my system. I am veering heavily towards to the Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing due to good reviews and being on the recommended cooler list over at www.logicalincrements.com

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Thats the thing though, the new ones will be shit expensive, so I maybe have to pay ~250 for 2600 performance? (I dunno how likely that is but I think it's possible)
And then the things get delayed, etc, etc

I'm not pc gaming for long but 1 thing I learned already, you *always* buy at the wrong time, and sometimes things even become more pricey because the new ones suck (respectively speaking)

I'm trying to build on a budget so getting the latest and greatest isn't a priority for me. The 2700 seems sufficient for my VR needs and I just want to make sure I get the best deal on it. I don't have any knowledge of typical pricing trends for this stuff.
The Ryzen 3600X should be in the ~$260 range. It should have 8 cores and 16 threads.

There are several processors that are going to be strategically priced higher than it including the 3700, 3700X, 3800X, and 3850X. That 3600X and the 3700X at around ~$370-400 and with 12C/24T are going to be the new go-to Ryzen CPUs for gaming builds.

These new Ryzens are going to have 15% higher IPC / single thread ratings (most gaming scenarios) than their predecessors.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Saw that the 9900k was on sale on Newegg for $460 and decided that was enough to pick over getting a 9700K which is only $50 cheaper.

This is my current build so far. I really need to decide what AIO cooler I want to put into my system. I am veering heavily towards to the Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing due to good reviews and being on the recommended cooler list over at www.logicalincrements.com
Yeah I saw that. It's a good price and the lowest one to date. Great if you're doing a new gaming build today.

Personally I'm waiting for the Ryzen 3000s to drop so that I can get a 9900K for ~$400. It should definitely happen late summer /early fall.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Ryzen 3600X should be in the ~$260 range. It should have 8 cores and 16 threads.

Appreciate the info but in my case I'll need *most likely* a new motherboard and a new at least 6 core cpu that's better than my current 4 core one for about ~$260 max...

It's a dumb situation I'm in, not sure if something is wrong with my motherboard (msi B350 mortar) but everything points to that being the case (for example I'm getting weird Chinese error messages in the bios , it doesn't save any fan profiles than what it's already set to, random - but thankfully rare crashes etc)

So either way, even if my motherboard turns out to be ok, ~$250 is a lot for just a CPU to me, especially since I doubt I'd see many performance gains with my GPU over a 2600/X

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018

Shiiiitttt I just ordered the 9700k yesterday, idk how I didn't notice that

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If performance is still good for you, don't change it. We are about one to one and a half years away from a new console generation and things will, probably, change pretty hefty with that. PCI-E 4.0 is arriving, new 16 core mainstream CPUs, new 7nm GPUs and probably new high end Nvidia GPUs next year.
Wait out till next gen consoles launches, adjust accordingly and upgrade then.
Unless you really want something new now. The urge is sometimes hard to mute.
That's kinda what I was assuming. Maaaaaaaybe get another 16 gigs of ram at most, and upgrade my MOBO and processor in a year or two.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Appreciate the info but in my case I'll need *most likely* a new motherboard and a new at least 6 core cpu that's better than my current 4 core one for about ~$260 max...

It's a dumb situation I'm in, not sure if something is wrong with my motherboard (msi B350 mortar) but everything points to that being the case (for example I'm getting weird Chinese error messages in the bios , it doesn't save any fan profiles than what it's already set to, random - but thankfully rare crashes etc)

So either way, even if my motherboard turns out to be ok, ~$250 is a lot for just a CPU to me, especially since I doubt I'd see many performance gains with my GPU over a 2600/X
Try updating the BIOS and clear the CMOS. Do other settings remain? Could be a bad battery too.

Deleted member 34881

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I don't know if this is fine to ask here, but I just bought another 1440p 144hz lg monitor to match my main one. They are both the same. Is it bad if they are both display port and both 144hz? I only play on one for games, I have 1070 and and i7800k if that helps. I also upgraded my case with a nzxt 500 case, mine was getting super old and scuffed up.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Okay all of the parts for my build have been ordered except the GPU. I'm hesitant on getting a RTX 2080 because I'd like to see what Nvidia will bring to the table with the RTX 3xxx series / Ampere, but there is the saying if you wait to upgrade, you'll always wait. I currently own a GTX 1070, so I just wonder if I were to bite on a RTX 2080, my primary concern is if it will take me to the end of the PS5 / Xbox Scarlet generation.

I usually only build a computer once every 4 to 5 years, to coincide with the new console generation and the large open world Bethesda release. I don't do iterative upgrades. Just one overall build every half decade. While my 2019 build is a bit earlier than planned the performance of PC titles gravitating towards 4K as opposed to 1440P@60FPS as I've done for my current has incentivized me to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Typically use my PC mainly for 3rd party PC releases, mainly planning for Elder Scrolls VI, but can't predict performance metrics on a game that isn't even out, unlike the case for my 2012 build designed for the sole purpose of maxing out Skyrim with a large mod load order, and the same for my 2016 build for FO4 and Skyrim SE.

Until I decide what to do, here is my full parts order I've ordered minus GPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $460.00)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 360 ARGB Sync Edition 56.45 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $169.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $164.99) (Open Box on Newegg, normally goes for $300)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $109.99)
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $169.50)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $247.90)
Case: NZXT - H700 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $123.50)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $115.84)
Total: $1561.71

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I don't know if this is fine to ask here, but I just bought another 1440p 144hz lg monitor to match my main one. They are both the same. Is it bad if they are both display port and both 144hz? I only play on one for games, I have 1070 and and i7800k if that helps. I also upgraded my case with a nzxt 500 case, mine was getting super old and scuffed up.

It's not bad at all. Why would it be? The impact while gaming is negligible.

Okay all of the parts for my build have been ordered except the GPU. I'm hesitant on getting a RTX 2080 because I'd like to see what Nvidia will bring to the table with the RTX 3xxx series / Ampere, but there is the saying if you wait to upgrade, you'll always wait. I currently own a GTX 1070, so I just wonder if I were to bite on a RTX 2080, my primary concern is if it will take me to the end of the PS5 / Xbox Scarlet generation.

I usually only build a computer once every 4 to 5 years, to coincide with the new console generation and the large open world Bethesda release. I don't do iterative upgrades. Just one overall build every half decade. While my 2019 build is a bit earlier than planned the performance of PC titles gravitating towards 4K as opposed to 1440P@60FPS as I've done for my current has incentivized me to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Typically use my PC mainly for 3rd party PC releases, mainly planning for Elder Scrolls VI, but can't predict performance metrics on a game that isn't even out, unlike the case for my 2012 build designed for the sole purpose of maxing out Skyrim with a large mod load order, and the same for my 2016 build for FO4 and Skyrim SE.

Until I decide what to do, here is my full parts order I've ordered minus GPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 360 ARGB Sync Edition 56.45 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $169.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $164.99) (Open Box on Newegg, normally goes for $300)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $109.99)
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $169.50)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $247.90)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $115.84)
Total: $1561.71

I'm not sure if an RTX 2080 will be satisfying at 4K for the lifetime of, say, the PS5. The performance of the 2080 is comparable to the GTX 1080 Ti, a two-year-old GPU. It's hard for me to envision a card that "old" handling 4K at high frame rates in another 5 years.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
There is almost no reviews or additional information available for the Thermaltake ARGB Sync Edition online. I'm guessing this new cooler is Thermaltake's replacement for the Floe Riing series of AIO's. I did read a review from KitGuru and eTeknix, but was wondering if there was any substantial difference between the ARGB Sync Edition over the older Floe Riing model outside of the different fans and the addressable RGB functionality.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
I have a heavy, quiet Fractal case, but I'm going to be traveling overseas with my PC and I want to check it in my luggage. The case is massive and heavy, but I don't even need any SATA bays. It's basically a board, a fan, and a 1080ti.

Any recommendations on a lightweight small case for a full size board?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's kinda what I was assuming. Maaaaaaaybe get another 16 gigs of ram at most, and upgrade my MOBO and processor in a year or two.

Only if you need the extra ram for professional use. No game needs or benefits from 32gb currently.
You are on the last Intel CPU running DDR3, no matter what new CPU and mobo you buy, you'll need ddr4 for that. Buying another 16gb of ddr3 won't benefit you currently and it won't be useable on your new build. It's literally a waste of money.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only if you need the extra ram for professional use. No game needs or benefits from 32gb currently.
You are on the last Intel CPU running DDR3, no matter what new CPU and mobo you buy, you'll need ddr4 for that. Buying another 16gb of ddr3 won't benefit you currently and it won't be useable on your new build. It's literally a waste of money.
That is so incredibly useful to read, thank you very much. :)

Oct 29, 2017
I have a heavy, quiet Fractal case, but I'm going to be traveling overseas with my PC and I want to check it in my luggage. The case is massive and heavy, but I don't even need any SATA bays. It's basically a board, a fan, and a 1080ti.

It is exotic and expensive, but just to throw it out there, I think the smallest volume in an ATX case period, is the Lian Li PC - 07. It has a glass panel, so probably not ideal on top of its really high price.

The smallest more conventional ATX cases I know of are:
- Riotoro Morpheus GPX-100
- Riotoro CR1080 and CR1088
- Lian Li PC-A05FN
- Thermaltake Core G3
- Cooler Master Q500L

The Cooler Master Q500L seems to have bad airflow according to reviewers, can't imagine the Lian Li PC-A05FN is much better, but those two are the smallest.

EDIT: I Forgot about HTPC cases
- SilverStone Grandia series GD09 and GD10

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

If you've got a full size ATX board then the Cerberus X is probably the smallest desktop case that'll fit a full size board without going to a micro or mini-ITX case specifically.

Biggest downside obviously is that the Cerberus is not cheap! But you're pretty much getting a small form factor case that fits a full size board.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I'm looking to buy a low-profile, single-slot Nvidia GT 1030 GDDR5 card. If anyone has one for sale, please PM!

The Jonsbo U4 Black is another option (in addition to the above-mentioned Cerberus) for a small (relatively) ATX case. I have one if you have any questions about it. The Cerberus is 24 liters (external volume) and the U4 is 29 liters external volume.

Side note: don't go off of listed volumes, but actually calculate the case volume from the case dimensions. The Cerberus people list INTERNAL case volume, but if you calculate the volume from the external dimensions, you'll see the actual space that the case consumes.

Last edited:

Chronite

Oct 25, 2017
not sure if you are being sarcastic or something. Not sure what you mean

edit- LMAO Now I know what you mean!!!!! Yep its like a little theft proof vault.
edit 2 - post a pic of your build when it's done I want to see! Try to quote me too so I can get an alert or something
Finished up my build

YghF97e.jpg

zKOoQFw.jpg

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
I know I don't need 32 GB of RAM for a gaming system right now, but this is a weekend where I want to buy myself something nice and nothing in the department store really piqued my interest. I also noticed that more people seem to gravitate to the G.SKILL TridentZ for bling-ed out RAM but I also liked the looks of Corsair's Vengeance RGB kits. Reviews for both seem strong but is something amiss with the latter?

(I also reserve the right to just get white RAM from the traditional LPX line to be less silly with my purchases but I need retail therapy guyz)

Also also, lovely build above. I'm not always a fan of how ASUS ROG components are overstyled but that Maximus board is delicious.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
- SilverStone Grandia series GD09 and GD10
If you've got a full size ATX board then the Cerberus X is probably the smallest desktop case that'll fit a full size board without going to a micro or mini-ITX case specifically.

Biggest downside obviously is that the Cerberus is not cheap! But you're pretty much getting a small form factor case that fits a full size board.
I'm looking to buy a low-profile, single-slot Nvidia GT 1030 GDDR5 card. If anyone has one for sale, please PM!

The Jonsbo U4 Black is another option (in addition to the above-mentioned Cerberus) for a small (relatively) ATX case. I have one if you have any questions about it. The Cerberus is 24 liters (external volume) and the U4 is 29 liters external volume.

Side note: don't go off of listed volumes, but actually calculate the case volume from the case dimensions. The Cerberus people list INTERNAL case volume, but if you calculate the volume from the external dimensions, you'll see the actual space that the case consumes.

Wow, thanks so much!!

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure if an RTX 2080 will be satisfying at 4K for the lifetime of, say, the PS5. The performance of the 2080 is comparable to the GTX 1080 Ti, a two-year-old GPU. It's hard for me to envision a card that "old" handling 4K at high frame rates in another 5 years.
Yep. Now is a better time than ever to punt on buying any high-end GPUs and waiting another year or two until things shake out. You're better off buying something temporary like a budget $200-300 card to tide you over for a couple years. Once PS5 comes out it's going to reset the bar for graphical standards anyhow. Plus, GPU makers are going to have to contend and compete with them price-wise. There aren't a lot of new AAA games coming out on PC right now either, as many things have been pushed back to coincide their launches with next-gen.

If value and longevity are the main topics of consideration then buying anything beyond an RTX 2060 is a poor plan right now.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know I don't need 32 GB of RAM for a gaming system right now, but this is a weekend where I want to buy myself something nice and nothing in the department store really piqued my interest. I also noticed that more people seem to gravitate to the G.SKILL TridentZ for bling-ed out RAM but I also liked the looks of Corsair's Vengeance RGB kits. Reviews for both seem strong but is something amiss with the latter?

(I also reserve the right to just get white RAM from the traditional LPX line to be less silly with my purchases but I need retail therapy guyz)

Also also, lovely build above. I'm not always a fan of how ASUS ROG components are overstyled but that Maximus board is delicious.

Funny, I did the same this weekend and moved on to 32gb, for the exact same reason: I just felt like it. I am on 4x G.Skill Ripjawas V (F4-360016D 16GVK) now.
They are practically the same as the popular G.Skill 3600/cl16 Trident Z royal, but without the LEDs and significantly cheaper (160€ Vs 350€). I also feared that production for the cheaper variations would stop... The margin on those trident Z is too good.

Long story short; the reason why some gskill trident Z are so polar is, because word got out that some are equipped with single ranked Samsung b-dies.
That's great for better timings, over clocks and compatibility etc.
for a relatively low price, when they launched at least.

Corsair, certainly, also uses the same Samsung dies on some of their offerings. No idea on which though.

Fake edit:
I'm not saying take g.skill over Corsair here. The label and branding on memory kits is unimportant. The chiplets itself are way more important and Corsair, g.skill, hyper X (etc) buy them from micron and Samsung anyway. In different quantities and qualities.
All I'm saying: cool, I did the same and there was a reason why trident z got popular and it's not just the look.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
It is done, or at least it will be!

One of my co-workers bought my GTX 1070 off of me, which offset the cost of me getting a RTX 2080, and because of that my build is complete and I managed to keep it under my hard limit of $2000. B O N U S!!

Here is my complete build. Expect pictures and stuff on Thursday when all of my stuff arrives in the mail.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 360 ARGB Sync Edition 56.45 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $170.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $165.00)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $110.00)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $248.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card (Purchased For $556.00)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $116.00)
Total: $1948.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-12 19:35 EDT-0400

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
It is done, or at least it will be!

One of my co-workers bought my GTX 1070 off of me, which offset the cost of me getting a RTX 2080, and because of that my build is complete and I managed to keep it under my hard limit of $2000. B O N U S!!

Here is my complete build. Expect pictures and stuff on Thursday when all of my stuff arrives in the mail.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 360 ARGB Sync Edition 56.45 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $170.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $165.00)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $110.00)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $248.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card (Purchased For $556.00)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $116.00)
Total: $1948.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-12 19:35 EDT-0400
Awesome, looks like a great build. One question though, where did you get the z390 aorus master for $165??

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Awesome, looks like a great build. One question though, where did you get the z390 aorus master for $165??

Open Box on Newegg. I took a gamble since Newegg said all open box items are guaranteed to work, I figure it was worth the risk of buying a high end board for roughly half its MSRP.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145089R

Worst case scenario it's missing a few accessories like a couple of SATA cables, but since Newegg is supposed to test this stuff to make sure it works. The fact it's Open Box and not "Used" or "Refurbished" gives a bit of confidence.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Finished up my build

YghF97e.jpg

zKOoQFw.jpg

Nice build. What cpu cooler is that? Im thinking of not going air this time and going ahead and using a water cooler, but Im worried about maintenance. For my air systems its just removing filters, cleaning them, then a little canned air and Im done. Im interested in going water if the cpu cooler wont require a ton of maintenance over the years.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I have to remind myself to stay away from hot blower cards. Not sure about the rest of y'all, but I've got a small computer room without much air blowing in or out. My room was cooking with a vega 56.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Bad news but those non blower cards of the same series heat up your room just the same.

Not sure about that. The blower cards dump hot air straight into the room. The double/trip fan cards dump the heat into the case and then has a chance to be cooled down by the intake before being exhausted.

Would be an interesting experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.