• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Not sure about that. The blower cards dump hot air straight into the room. The double/trip fan cards dump the heat into the case and then has a chance to be cooled down by the intake before being exhausted.

Would be an interesting experiment.

The heat generated is virtually the same, and it has to go somewhere. Ironically, a better-cooled GPU will heat up a room MORE as it will clock a bit higher (since it's cooling itself better), using more energy, and thus putting out even more heat.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
I have to remind myself to stay away from hot blower cards. Not sure about the rest of y'all, but I've got a small computer room without much air blowing in or out. My room was cooking with a vega 56.

Have you undervolted or otherwise fiddled with settings to try to keep it from going nuclear yet? I use a reference Vega 64 and had to play around to get it to behave - its default settings were a little troublesome. (This is no panacea, and I didn't gather a consensus on whether adjusting voltage on Vega processors was a decisive help, but there's probably a lot of reading material on it if you want to explore it.)

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Nice build. What cpu cooler is that? Im thinking of not going air this time and going ahead and using a water cooler, but Im worried about maintenance. For my air systems its just removing filters, cleaning them, then a little canned air and Im done. Im interested in going water if the cpu cooler wont require a ton of maintenance over the years.
Its the Corsair H115i Platinum. Possibly the 110 version (240mm, not 280), hard to tell with the angle, can't tell if those fans are 140s or 120s. Anyways, there's a version that comes without the RGB fans that's cheaper, and I believe they have different pump manufacturers. I have the h115i pro, the one without the RGB fans, it's good, keeps my delidded 7700k peaking in the low 60s under hours of load doing bluray conversions, with the front of my case open for airflow and iCue settings set to extreme, which is not something you'd want to do all the time, pump gets pretty high pitched loud.

Chronite

Oct 25, 2017
Nice build. What cpu cooler is that? Im thinking of not going air this time and going ahead and using a water cooler, but Im worried about maintenance. For my air systems its just removing filters, cleaning them, then a little canned air and Im done. Im interested in going water if the cpu cooler wont require a ton of maintenance over the years.
Thanks! The cooler I went with was the Corsair H115i Platinum RGB.

Deleted member 532

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is done, or at least it will be!

One of my co-workers bought my GTX 1070 off of me, which offset the cost of me getting a RTX 2080, and because of that my build is complete and I managed to keep it under my hard limit of $2000. B O N U S!!

Here is my complete build. Expect pictures and stuff on Thursday when all of my stuff arrives in the mail.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $460.00)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 360 ARGB Sync Edition 56.45 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $170.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $165.00)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $110.00)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $248.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card (Purchased For $556.00)
Case: NZXT - H700 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $123.50)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $116.00)
Total: $1948.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-12 19:35 EDT-0400
this is nearly identical to my current build, the only regret I have is not getting the 2080TI. hope you enjoy. I ran into some weird issues with the Gigabyte software on the Master where Windows would switch focus while in the middle of a game. It was from their RGB software, I ended up uninstalling it which fixed all my issues.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($647.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($204.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($384.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($318.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($299.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card ($1079.00 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Corsair - Crystal 570X RGB White ATX Mid Tower Case ($229.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA - 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($123.99 @ PC-Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($177.95 @ Vuugo)

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-12 23:53 EDT-0400

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I could pick out my components now, sans CPU, and then just choose one of the new Ryzens when they come out and everything should be good?

That's what I did, but with an "interim"-CPU.
if you aren't going to use your Mainboard, just wait.
1.) There will be a new class of Mainboards with pcie 4.0 support.
2.) Current Mainboards will need a new, updated bios before being able to accept ryzen 3000 CPUs. Not a big deal, if you have the Mainboard running and are able to enter the BIOS. But rather problematic without a ryzen 1000 or 2000 CPUs because you can't enter the mb bios without ram and a CPU in the first place.
An exceptions is the Asus x470 Crosshair 7. It's one of the few boards that has away to update the bios without a CPU.

Btw most manufacturers already released the new, ryzen 3000 compatible bios version. Some newly made Mainboards could come with it, but the older, "on stock" ones won't have it (obviously).

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Finished up my build

YghF97e.jpg

zKOoQFw.jpg

Looks good! Very similar to my build in that you have same CPU and video card too. About how long it took you to put that together?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever have an issue with their Xbox One controllers frequently disconnecting from the wireless adapter? I constantly need to unplug and replug the wireless adapter for it to work again.

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I can't believe my corsair rm650x has died after 14 months. The damn thing has a 10 year warranty. System robots and kernel errors on a constant basis.

Anyway, replaced it with a seasonic focus gold 850w and everything is running like a dream. Couldn't be wasting time on an rma.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
2.) Current Mainboards will need a new, updated bios before being able to accept ryzen 3000 CPUs. Not a big deal, if you have the Mainboard running and are able to enter the BIOS. But rather problematic without a ryzen 1000 or 2000 CPUs because you can't enter the mb bios without ram and a CPU in the first place.
An exceptions is the Asus x470 Crosshair 7. It's one of the few boards that has away to update the bios without a CPU.

Btw most manufacturers already released the new, ryzen 3000 compatible bios version. Some newly made Mainboards could come with it, but the older, "on stock" ones won't have it (obviously).
BIOS flashback is quite common actually, even many MSI B450 boards come with it.
Anyone ever have an issue with their Xbox One controllers frequently disconnecting from the wireless adapter? I constantly need to unplug and replug the wireless adapter for it to work again.
Happens with mine too via Bluetooth. Xbox controllers just have poor range, never happens with ds4.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Will the new Ryzen 3 compatible motherboards be appreciably more expensive than the current ones?

Here's How Trump's Tariffs Hike May Affect Prices for PC Parts

TL;DR: Potentially it may, depending on the part/company involved. Some companies have already been moving their manufacturing (at least for U.S.-bound product) outside China to avoid the tariffs.

ugh

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone recommend a reliable usb bluetooth adapter that will at least support an xbox one controller? I think I've gone through 2 or 3 (admittedly cheap) adapters and they have been pretty awful. The one thing I've noticed a lot is there's a good chance the adapter will fail to start. I would have to go the device manager and uninstall/reinstall drivers to get bluetooth running again. My xbox one controller also doesn't work since my PC keeps asking for a PIN. I can only use other bluetooth controllers like my 8bitdo controllers but signal is bad there for some reason and inputs randomly cut off.

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
Which 2k or 4k should I buy for my 2080 pc? I don't mind it to be too big, but I would like speed and color and to spend a good price

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
So, finally the following components are coming for my HTPC build:

capturakaj7f.png

Maybe in a couple of months I'll upgrade the RAM to 2x16 GB now that RAM have decent prices again.

I was thinking also about upgrading my Ryzen 5 1600 to a Ryzen 7 2700. What do you think guys? Worth it or my R5 1600 is still good enough?

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
So, finally the following components are coming for my HTPC build:

capturakaj7f.png

Maybe in a couple of months I'll upgrade the RAM to 2x16 GB now that RAM have decent prices again.

I was thinking also about upgrading my Ryzen 5 1600 to a Ryzen 7 2700. What do you think guys? Worth it or my R5 1600 is still good enough?
Wait till next gen ryzen launches next month.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Which 2k or 4k should I buy for my 2080 pc? I don't mind it to be too big, but I would like speed and color and to spend a good price

Check out the ASUS ROG and Acer Predator models.

A long time ago I had an issue with my DualShock 4 doing this. I just got a different adapter (ASUS one) and have been using it for years with no issues.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
A long time ago I had an issue with my DualShock 4 doing this. I just got a different adapter (ASUS one) and have been using it for years with no issues.

I completely disabled the Steam controller integration (unticked all the boxes) and it hasn't done it since. Not sure if it's just coincidence or I've just been lucky so far.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I think it was the Steam controller integration. That's also what messed up my Rocket League. My Xbox controller was never working in Rocket League. Couldn't figure out why.

So, if you're using an Xbox controller, make sure all the Steam controller stuff is off!

Athreous

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Guys, I'm trying to upgrade my friend's PC, with a small budget... could you please give me a hand? Here's his config right now:

i5 4690k
16gb ddr3 corsair
gtx 1070
MSI Mobo z97 gaming 3

His budget is 700$ and he needs a good ssd for games, like 500gb...

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I'm trying to upgrade my friend's PC, with a small budget... could you please give me a hand? Here's his config right now:

i5 4690k
16gb ddr3 corsair
gtx 1070
MSI Mobo z97 gaming 3

His budget is 700$ and he needs a good ssd for games, like 500gb...

You can pretty much keep all but the GPU, or replace all but the GPU and hold that off. The MB/RAM/CPU. Just be replaced as a group. You could look at builds in the OP.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Building a budget PC for a friend. I chose a 9400f over a 2600/x because they have no plans to overclock. Also, all they care about is gaming and general PC usage so I'm not really worried about productivity use cases. What do you guys think?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/k8KYkd

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - B365M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Total: $716.85

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right then gents, I have gone a bit loopy and changed my case and CPU cooler to try and tame this 9700K beast. Moved to a BitFenix Prodigy, and a Noctua "Big Chungus" NH-D15S. I ran Prime95 (the "maxium heat" setting), and it held out longer than my previous cooler, but eventually 1 core did reach 100c at about 48% of the Heat Up phase. I assume trying to "beat" this test requires something a bit extreme?

The second quick test I did, was run Aida64 stability test for 10 minutes (not nearly enough I guess, but wanted to see if it came anywhere close to Prime95 level). My results are -

2019-05-14v7ji4.png

2019-05-1414jkj1.png

It looked to me like it was holding out pretty damn fine. Wanted to see what you lot thought? This is all admittedly in quite a hot room anyway.

Other things .... slightly gutted that the CPU cooler got in the way of the rear fan, I wanted that in there, but couldn't have both, and I would like to think the Noctua, with the way its pointed, will exhaust most of it anyway. At least this time I have a big intake fan helping out.

Impressed with the Prodigy, had one ages ago, but this one seems to be a newer version, where they have cut out a section behind the PSU, leaving room to just run cables straight out rather than crushed to the sides (especially useful for modular PSU's. The front fan default position was also "top", going straight at the mobo/CPU, rather than below cooling any HDD's there.

Anyway, any other recommended tests that I could run to stress this out and ensure its all running correctly?

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Approximately when is the new line launching and/or when will they release more concrete information (pricing, etc)?

Expect more information from Computex (May 28). Actual release with availability probably within mid-July if I had to guess.

AMD's CEO is presenting at 10:15-11:15, May 27 local time Taipei, Taiwan. I would not expect pricing there, but it'll be the start. Hopefully we'll have motherboards rolling out at the convention show floor proper.

They'll have a further presentation at E3; "Next Horizon Gaming" (June 10), likely to tease Navi. (AMD)

Last edited:

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Other things .... slightly gutted that the CPU cooler got in the way of the rear fan, I wanted that in there, but couldn't have both, and I would like to think the Noctua, with the way its pointed, will exhaust most of it anyway. At least this time I have a big intake fan helping out.
Is it possible to fit a slim fan in there? How about on the top fan positions? Not sure how much space you have to work with on a mini ITX build like that.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to fit a slim fan in there? How about on the top fan positions? Not sure how much space you have to work with on a mini ITX build like that.

Possibly, there is a gap, will have to get the measuring tape out. Looking online I can see people suggest trying Prime95 v2.66, as its an "old" version that doesn't include stressing something called AVX (never heard of it so don't know much), so I did this, and the more familiar menu for Prime95 came up. Ran the hottest test it let me, and this time the temps were lucky to reach 80c, and the fan wasn't quite running at full speed either (about 1300 RPM). So quite chuffed with that.

Ran through a level on Crysis 3, the grassy one that stresses the CPU, again, could not get past 77c in a rather hot room. So the new cooler seems to be doing a good job by the looks of it. And that was with MCE on "Auto", which going by HW monitor, was running most cores at 4.8 GHz, so again looks like its doing a good job. Getting 100+ FPS in those grassy areas, before it was around 45 FPS.

Games are running too damn fine on this chip, its actually causing my GPU to more obviously coil whine, which was far less of a problem on the 3770K.

Nov 8, 2017
Building a budget PC for a friend. I chose a 9400f over a 2600/x because they have no plans to overclock. Also, all they care about is gaming and general PC usage so I'm not really worried about productivity use cases. What do you guys think?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/k8KYkd

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - B365M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Total: $716.85

I would spend the extra cash and get the 1660Ti. Not much more money for a good performance jump.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
So since I'm holding off on buying a motherboard and CPU until Ryzen 3 comes out (if they're too expensive I might just go with a less recent mobo and Ryzen 2 :x), are there any other parts that I could start scoping and potentially buy before I know what my mobo/cpu will be? RAM or SSD?

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
I just happened to get a promotion for 10% eBay Bucks today, the day I was already going to buy my components. Ordered my stuff through Newegg's ebay store instead of their website and now I'm gonna get $70 back hell yeah.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
If that Ryzen 3700x is real and is 12c24t with a single core 5GHZ boost and base clock of 4.2 ghz.
EhCh8bz.png
Sounds like some AMD fanboy pipe dreams. Zen hasn't had great clock speeds, and with that many cores I'd be pretty surprised if it could run at that base clock without the TDP being super high...who knows though. If that's at all true it would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.