• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Just about had a heart attack last night after putting in a new 8TB HD in my PC. I've got 2 SSDs and an old mechanical HD in my PC and decided to add a big 8TB mechanical HD to store stuff for Plex. Hook it up fine and go to turn on my PC and it won't boot, just the red CPU LED lit up, which I couldn't make sense of since I didn't even touch the CPU or anything. I did notice one of the case fans connected to the one of the fan headers wasn't spinning so I disconnected that and checked all the power supply cables were plugged in good and it booted

I hooked up the problematic case fan again this morning and everything seems to be working fine now. Maybe a power supply cable or something was loose? Either that or maybe something got bumped or flexed on the mobo and the cpu maybe? Or my PSU is starting to die? Scared the crap out of me because I literally did nothing at all with the CPU, so I really had no idea why that error LED would have come on.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
WOW Classic got me nostalgic for the PC that I ran it on back in the day, before I built my own. I decided to check the Dell Dimension 4600 on eBay. I think people are fucking high. They are trying to sell a 16 year old Pentium 4 based PC for $180. Get the fuck out of here. I would have bought one for $50 just for nostalgia reasons.

That PC ran hot. I had to replace my ATI 9800 Pro and my Soundblaster card after they fried lol. It faced it's death when it was finally struck by lightning while I was rading in Mount Hyjal. It was storming outside and I heard a pop. That electric hit also took out my router and modem lol.
Oh man we should do a PC history thread, or maybe have people post their PC History here? I have fond memories of my 32Mb Matrox Mystique and ATI X1900X ^^

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Oh man we should do a PC history thread, or maybe have people post their PC History here? I have fond memories of my 32Mb Matrox Mystique and ATI X1900X ^^

1997 I think it was, I had Mac PowerPC 7200 and I convinced my mom to buy me a 3Dfx video card. Installed the card myself and was running Quake at 800x600 with full antialiasing smooth as butter and my buddies were so impressed. Good times.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, can motherboards make "squealing" noises (the same way you get coil whine on a GPU) ? Since getting the new motherboard with CPU, I can hear this low pitched squealing noise (not a constant buzz, more like morse code if that makes sense). At first I thought it might be the PSU, so tried another good one, same thing. I'm using the same graphics card from my previous build, and that only coil whined when playing a game with sky high frame rates, but this buzz I'm getting on the desktop of all things.

I'm guessing mobo's can, as they have capacitors of course, but it would be a first for me to experience it. Combined with the strange restart issue (where I pick restart, and sometimes it just shuts down instead), I'm a bit concerned the board may have a fault. It's a Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Mini ITX board (latest BIOS). No overclocking.

Side note - measured the gap for a rear fan, looks like I have about 22-23mm of space, so a slim fan should fit in there no issue, that's good at least.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, can motherboards make "squealing" noises (the same way you get coil whine on a GPU) ? Since getting the new motherboard with CPU, I can hear this low pitched squealing noise (not a constant buzz, more like morse code if that makes sense). At first I thought it might be the PSU, so tried another good one, same thing. I'm using the same graphics card from my previous build, and that only coil whined when playing a game with sky high frame rates, but this buzz I'm getting on the desktop of all things.

I'm guessing mobo's can, as they have capacitors of course, but it would be a first for me to experience it. Combined with the strange restart issue (where I pick restart, and sometimes it just shuts down instead), I'm a bit concerned the board may have a fault. It's a Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Mini ITX board (latest BIOS). No overclocking.

Side note - measured the gap for a rear fan, looks like I have about 22-23mm of space, so a slim fan should fit in there no issue, that's good at least.

Yes and the Gigabyte Z390's are fairly notorious for this.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

Could technically be a failing capacitor but seems unlikely on a new board especially given what Lakeside said. Probably not related to your other issue. If you tell Gigabyte it's making a sound and experiencing problems they'll likely be open to RMA it but obviously no guarantee the replacement will be any different.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Could technically be a failing capacitor but seems unlikely on a new board especially given what Lakeside said. Probably not related to your other issue. If you tell Gigabyte it's making a sound and experiencing problems they'll likely be open to RMA it but obviously no guarantee the replacement will be any different.

I was following threads on Overclock.net when they launched and was thinking about Gigabyte. All the whining VRM stories scared me off.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes and the Gigabyte Z390's are fairly notorious for this.

Well .... shit, despite countless reviews I read on the board, not 1 mentioned a whine noise, but 1 quick "Z390 whine" search and now I find a boat load of others having the same issue (mainly Gigabyte, but others too) on a variety of forums. Another forum I visit has a Gigabyte rep, so guess I will go there and see what they can do. Alternative might be to go to where I bought it and see if they fancy swapping it with a new one, pretty sure Gigabytes RMA turn around time is an age and dammit I wanna play with my new PC !

Thanks for the help :)

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017

Your motherboard made a squealing noise the last time I turned her on. Hey-o!

(I am sorry, it couldn't be helped)

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just casually eying potential 2tb SSDs and have a question:

What's the difference between the Samsung 860 QVO and the EVO? I've skimmed over pretty technical jargonny articles about the QLC NAND but really just need a TLDR simplest terms of I assume the QVO is worse because it's cheaper, but what is "worse" in this case and why?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

What's the difference between the Samsung 860 QVO and the EVO? I've skimmed over pretty technical jargonny articles about the QLC NAND but really just need a TLDR simplest terms of I assume the QVO is worse because it's cheaper, but what is "worse" in this case and why?

QLC is slower and has reduced endurance compared to the NAND in the EVO. I'm not sure how the performance translates to the SATA drives but in general they are fine for general use but poor for sustained writes.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

TL;DR - if you're using it to install and play games, it's fine. If you're writing massive files, it slows down.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018

1997 I think it was, I had Mac PowerPC 7200 and I convinced my mom to buy me a 3Dfx video card. Installed the card myself and was running Quake at 800x600 with full antialiasing smooth as butter and my buddies were so impressed. Good times.

I had a Packard Bell with a 286 that we upgraded to a 486 using this:

Vintage-Make-IT-486-upgrade-chip-for-80286.jpg

All the prestige of a 486 with very few of the actual performance improvements. lol

From there it was a bunch of hand-me-down family and work computers. My dad ran a web design business in the mid 90's and would buy new PCs for work every couple of years, usually from Acer. I had a machine with a Pentium 1, and then another with an AMD K6. Messed around with some second hand 3D accelerator cards that my uncle would hand down to me...too many to name or remember. Things were crazy back then. My next PC that was actually mine and the first I built was basically this spec-wise:

Except I had a 2800+ and Geforce 4MX graphics. Performance is about the same though when you consider overclocking, and the 4MX was really no better than the Geforce 2 onboard chip. It was good enough for Stepmania and other Bemani simulators (I was huge into these at the time) and older games. That was probably around 2003 or 2004. I eventually threw in some budget nvidia card with proper DX8 support for Portal (ran like garbage), and then later again threw in some DX9 ATI card to try to get better performance in WoW (which also still ran like garbage). That system eventually died in 2010 or so to a lightning strike up through my phone line into the DSL modem and straight to the motherboard.

I just had laptops for a couple of years after that since I was mostly just console gaming. I bought my current computer to work from home in 2013. It was an Acer prebuilt with an i5-3330 and 8GB of RAM...basically the cheapest thing I could get that met the system requirements for my work at home program. It also had a GT 630, which was barely OK for 720p gaming. In the last couple of years I've made several upgrades to it, and it's now a pretty nice little budget gaming PC. I took it from this:

To this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/cNxG3C

Added an RX 570 this year. Would be nice to upgrade to Ryzen, but I don't make a lot of money, so I've been eyeing the possibility of getting an i7-3770 on the cheap.

Aside from that I've done a lot of builds for friends. Most of the time they are also looking for something extremely cheap, so it's typically just hacking together used OEM stuff, but I have done a couple of all new builds for friends as well.

Anyway, I've gone on long enough. Hope it was interesting to at least a couple of people lol.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Appreciate the insight. I've never used AMD before, from what I've heard it may require more adjustment than you standard Intel processor. Antything I should know beforehand?

I actually don't own one right now. I researched them initially and was going to get it-- but then figured I would just increase my budget to grab the Intel i9-9900k since I do some productivity apps, etc on the side. Like messing around with Unreal engine for example. However for my next build for my Son I want to go with Ryzen. The Ryzen does very well on benchmarks for games and the extra threads are nice for productivity apps

tl;dr- no idea about any extra setup? I have no idea what that would be

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So after some diving through PC sales reddit and checking benchmarks for photoshop, aftereffects, cinema 4d, and other 3D programs, I came up with a build that I think would work great for me. My budget is $1500 and I already have a monitor, mouse and keyboard, so I splurged on the ram. I went with the Ryzen 7 2700X CPU because of the core advantage over the i5-9600k.

If anything looks off to anyone, please let me know.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($284.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card ($469.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($58.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($66.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1367.91 (after tax is like $1470)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-16 19:11 EDT-0400

Last edited:

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
So after some diving through PC sales reddit and checking benchmarks for photoshop, aftereffects, cinema 4d, and other 3D programs, I came up with a build that I think would work great for me. My budget is $1500 and I already have a monitor, mouse and keyboard, so I splurged on the ram. I went with the Ryzen 7 2700X CPU because of the core advantage over the i5-9600k.

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($66.98 @ Newegg)
If you go Ryzen, I think you want 3200mhz or faster ram, as it's more dependent on the memory speed vs Intel. I'm sure there are benchmarks out there

Oct 25, 2017
18 days later my GPU returns from MSI! Now we see if that's what was causing all my system reboots.

Do I need to reinstall all graphics drivers? It's the exact same model of card (RX580) but a different physical card. I'm assuming it'll just work as the old one did.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
The first computer I built from scratch was a DUAL CPU Athlon MP rig I put together in 9th or 10th grade with all the earnings from my first job lol. Want to say it had like 2gb of ram and a sweet ATI graphics card I got from CompUSA.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Does anyone have any experience with the BenQ EX3501R Ultrawide?
It's currently $699 (even cheaper with coupons and such).
Seems like it has pretty great reviews from a lot of sites and that price seems pretty great.
The Asus with the same panel and refresh rate is about $999.

I was going to get the Acer XB271HU, but I'd like to give Ultrawide a shot.

Oct 29, 2017
Is this a worthwhile build for 1080p gaming and upgradeability?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WxP6GG
Yeah, 2600X and RX580 are good for 1080p.

That said.

If the budget is locked, skip the cooler master hyper 212 and just use the stock cooler that comes with the Ryzen to put that into at least a 256GB SSD.

But since SSDs prices are low nowadays, maybe 500GB for around $60 like a crucial MX500 or Intel 660p if you are willing to ditch the HDD for now.

I instead of that Mobo, I recommend the ASRock B450M Pro 4. Edit: oh wait, did not see that one had a discount, this ASRock is more expensive.

Last edited:

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
jSwyLeb.jpg

yYbUFnS.jpg
BVA8HIX.jpg

Everything has arrived. I started installation at around 5PM EST and I'm still not finished and decided to give it a rest. I still need to install the CPU Cooler and the Graphics Card, and then test everything to make sure it works. The case is very spacious but because it's so large it's a very time consuming process to set everything up.

The CPU cooler might a challenge with the height clearance I'll need to mount the radiator at the top of the case. I'll have more pictures available with the finished build tomorrow.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bdJCHh

I'm seeing more and more mention of this Thermaltake AIO. Is it one of the best out or simply the newest?

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would a Corsair 450W be able to handle a 2700 and RX 590 if I don't plan to overclock anything?

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any good monitor recommendations for my son who wants a new one, but he'd like to keep it around idk $200-$250?

He doesn't need anything super big or crazy, and honestly at this stage of his gaming life he wont mind a TN panel.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
What's up with the R6 case not being in stock at most stores? I'll assume it's because the R7 is coming even though it's not.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Would a Corsair 450W be able to handle a 2700 and RX 590 if I don't plan to overclock anything?

That would be pushing it. 500-550W is probably a bit safer. The 590 is fairly power hungry.

It's not really safety. If you meter from-the-wall power it's a lot less than you think and the 590 peaks at what like 220? A 450w would work. Thing is there isn't a good reason to buy a 450w PSU when a 550 or 650 is like 20-30 more bucks.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

PCPartPicker Part List

I have something close to this, built it in December. I'm really happy with my own build, which you can see below.

aGYZlCZ.jpg

CPU Ryzen 2700x
GPU MSI RTX 2080 Trio
MOBO MSI x470 Gaming Pro
RAM G.Skill DDR4 Flare X 2x8GB
SSD WD 500GB M.2
PSU EVGA 750 G3

Monitor Acer Predator XB241

(temp accommodation, picking up a desk tomorrow)

(LGPC)

The suggestions I would make:

1. The SSD you have has QLC flash. This will be fine if you're using it mostly to install and play games, but if you're moving heavy files it will slow down. It's explained in a video a few posts up. If this doens't matter to you, you'll be fine.

An slightly better option if it does matter would be the WD Blue M.2 (see my build) which is, I believe, TLC (see video again).

2. The x470 MOBO range is better suited to the more modern chips like the 2700x, and the B450 is considered budget here.... but it only really matters if you're considering overclocking. x470s have more sata 3/USB 3.1 ports and other features, but a b450 will work if that's your budget. It depends on the features you specifically need:

uikcg3hVXONqfMDf.jpg

3. This is really not important, but just something I was adamant on getting myself: Your PSU is only semi modular, I would highly recommend fully modular for a better quality of build overall. Less cables to manage = less headache. however, that can mean be a lot more expensive. This is the one I use and it's almost double the price. Your chosen PSU is very good, the semi-modular design will be far, far easier to manage than a full attached PSU. So really, this isn't THAT important that it's worth stretching your budget beyond what you can affford.

-

That's all I can see at a glance, I'll leave it for the more informed to correct my post and offer feedback on the rest!

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just got MHW, and my question is, is 71C still ok for a GTX 1060 6GB?

Just wondering because it's usually more like 63C playing other games (RE2 for example)

Or should I do something with my fan configuration (3 installed, 2 at the front, 1 at the back, whereas my case, inwin 301, is a bit strange it has the main intake at the bottom not front...)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Looks very beautiful. What keyboard is that?
Thanks a lot, the set up is updated now: new mouse and other peripherals, a desk/chair (I really need to tidy my cables...):
liQZEai.jpg

The KB is this.

Cheap, but very solid. The metal base makes it feel higher qaulity. The keys are decent, but I'd prefer a mechanical KB (it's on my list).

I just got MHW, and my question is, is 71C still ok for a GTX 1060 6GB?

Just wondering because it's usually more like 63C playing other games (RE2 for example)

Or should I do something with my fan configuration (3 installed, 2 at the front, 1 at the back, whereas my case, inwin 301, is a bit strange it has the main intake at the bottom not front...)
70 is perfectly fine. Even 80 is fine. You only need to be concerned if it's constantly in the very high 80s or dipping into the 90s.

Around 70 is pretty ideal overall.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I have something close to this, built it in December. I'm really happy with my own build, which you can see below.

The suggestions I would make:

1. The SSD you have has QLC flash. This will be fine if you're using it mostly to install and play games, but if you're moving heavy files it will slow down. It's explained in a video a few posts up. If this doens't matter to you, you'll be fine.

An slightly better option if it does matter would be the WD Blue M.2 (see my build) which is, I believe, TLC (see video again).

2. The x470 MOBO range is better suited to the more modern chips like the 2700x, and the B450 is considered budget here.... but it only really matters if you're considering overclocking. x470s have more sata 3/USB 3.1 ports and other features, but a b450 will work if that's your budget. It depends on the features you specifically need:

uikcg3hVXONqfMDf.jpg

3. This is really not important, but just something I was adamant on getting myself: Your PSU is only semi modular, I would highly recommend fully modular for a better quality of build overall. Less cables to manage = less headache. however, that can mean be a lot more expensive. This is the one I use and it's almost double the price. Your chosen PSU is very good, the semi-modular design will be far, far easier to manage than a full attached PSU. So really, this isn't THAT important that it's worth stretching your budget beyond what you can affford.

-

That's all I can see at a glance, I'll leave it for the more informed to correct my post and offer feedback on the rest!

Yeah now that I have gone modular I could never deal with anything less.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Thanks a lot, the set up is updated now: new mouse and other peripherals, a desk/chair (I really need to tidy my cables...):
liQZEai.jpg

The KB is this.

Cheap, but very solid. The metal base makes it feel higher qaulity. The keys are decent, but I'd prefer a mechanical KB (it's on my list).

Yeah that keyboard is a lot cheaper than I would have guessed! Only one monitor?! I've got two monitors hooked up + a 4K TV

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that keyboard is a lot cheaper than I would have guessed! Only one monitor?! I've got two monitors hooked up + a 4K TV

I'm building up slowly, the monitor is only a 1080.... but I wanted Gsync at the time and I had a set budget.

Going to eventually get a 1440 gsync for gaming and a 4k for work. Not sure what's on the horizon for monitors as I havn't looked in a while...

I have my laptop as my "second screen" currently.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

This is all great feedback. I switched out the SSD to the one you suggested, but I'm gonna stick with the mobo and psu just to keep in my budget. Gonna order it all tonight!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This is all great feedback. I switched out the SSD to the one you suggested, but I'm gonna stick with the mobo and psu just to keep in my budget. Gonna order it all tonight!
Added bonus of that mobo is it has wif-fi, my x470 which was around $40 more does not. And you can always upgrade later if you find the need.

It's a strong build overall, imo, hope you have fun putting it all together!

Status
Not open for further replies.