• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's actually an amazing time to buy a 3600X or 3700X for one free game, or the 3800X right now for the new 2-game promotion. The 3600X and 3800X are recommended purchases for the very first time now with that added value. Can anyone confirm if you receive a product code on your receipt or something? Or is it the weird AMD account tying thing again where it has to scan your system for the relevant hardware in order to activate the games. (See quote below for the promo) It goes through the Epic Game Store with these games now.

It is like Nvidia: You get the AMD code which you have to redeem on AMD platform (also have qualifying hardware) to get the actual game keys.

You should be able to resell keys, although no info on whether they are region locked so far.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
In which case, like last time it will not be recommended to buy codes from anyone if you don't have the relevant hardware. =/

It means that people might be sharing AMD accounts again which was sketchy last time and it left many code buyers without their games. So people should be careful.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
I got the DNS error when I tried to run it, which has little in the way of an AMD-offered solution beyond "try a different browser". I emailed them for support recently. And yeah, reselling an AMD key if it's tied to their verification app would cause a headache for someone who doesn't have the appropriate components at all.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Still that's a fantastic promotion right now! Great for anyone who is in the market for any of the new Ryzen processors. I'd consider buying the 3600X or 3700X in the current pricing situation.

I'm not sure if the 3800X is worth it for $50 more just to get 1 additional game...but if you really wanted those boosted clockspeeds and the higher binned chip then sure. The different AMD pricing tiers actually make sense now (at Microcenter anyways...). The 3600x is still too expensive on Newegg and Amazon.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
In which case, like last time it will not be recommended to buy codes from anyone if you don't have the relevant hardware. =/

It means that people might be sharing AMD accounts again which was sketchy last time and it left many code buyers without their games. So people should be careful.
Well to be fair, assuming the seller has already done all of the hardware checks then it's fine. You do get given a MS code after all that messing around.

I gave my game pass code to a friend since I couldn't add any more time to my ultimate subscription anyway and back then they weren't offering a game.

DAREALGUMMY

Oct 25, 2017
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ysMgsk

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 194.79
You mentioned "onboard". Did you mean integrated graphics? The Ryzen 3200G and 3400G come with onboard graphics, but lack the performance of the 3600. With a 3600, you're going to need a GPU.

MB: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX - 78.98
Don't have to worry about BIOS Flashback with a MAX board, and you specified something compact.

RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 - 64.99
Pros: Known name brand, Newegg reviews say it works with Ryzen. Cons: it's not on the MB's QVL list. May want more RAM for video editing.

SSD: Team L5 LITE 3D 480 GB 2.5" SSD - 53.99
2.5" SATA drive. You can go much cheaper or more expensive here depending on space and quality. If video becomes a focus, you will want a larger drive.

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 2 GB GDDR5 Low Profile - 89.99
It probably won't play Cyberpunk 2077 really well, but is a little better than onboard video. 2GB of VRAM will hinder video editing, though.

OR

GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 4 GB Gaming 4G Video Card - 139.95

This card can currently play Gears of War 5. If you buy it from Newegg, you can get Borderlands 3 or Ghost Recon as part of a promotion. Has 4GB of VRAM which will help with 1080p video editing.

Case: Rosewill FBM-06 Micro ATX Mini Tower Case - 28.98
One of the cheapest Micro ATX cases on PC Part Picker since you mentioned compact. Only comes with a single rear exhaust fan. Would need to spend a little more to get a better case. You can also get 120mm Arctic F12 case fans on Amazon for less than $8, and I recommend buying at least 1 extra fan for intake.

PSU: Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular - 57.50
You don't want to cheap out on the PSU. The CXM is a decent semi-modular PSU which helps when building in smaller cases, and Corsair is a reliable brand.

With the RX 570, the total is 619.18 after MIR and shipping costs. You can save money and hit that $600 cap by going with the GT 1030 if gaming isn't a concern, and spend that money on a larger SSD or better case. But the cheaper GPU might not be good for video editing (not my area of expertise).

This build does not includes the OS.
Thank you! I had a RX 560 @ 4GB but I totally forgot I sold it & that the 3600 didn't come with integrated graphics.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Selling my Fallout New Vegas collectors edition for GPU upgrade money. ;_;

How long would this card last me gaming at 1600x900 resolution with a six core processor?

8gb seems like a lot when it seems like most stuff only needs 4gb at the max on requirement listings I usually see. Upgrading from a GTX 960 that runs BL3 like dog shit, if it could last me another five years of modern gaming that would be ideal.

Trying not to spend too much though with next gen consoles looming on the horizon.

My current specs:

SrCbo06.png

Oct 27, 2017
Selling my Fallout New Vegas collectors edition for GPU upgrade money. ;_;

How long would this card last me gaming at 1600x900 resolution with a six core processor?

8gb seems like a lot when it seems like most stuff only needs 4gb at the max on requirement listings I usually see. Upgrading from a GTX 960 that runs BL3 like dog shit, if it could last me another five years of modern gaming that would be ideal.

Trying not to spend too much though with next gen consoles looming on the horizon.

My current specs:

SrCbo06.png

Oof

Your CPU is holding the 960 back. Decreasing the resolution does not ease the load on the CPU as much, it mostly helps the GPU. CPU upgrade also requires new RAM/Mobo. Or maybe both CPU and GPU are holding you back @ 900p.

How many collectors editions do you have?

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Oof

Your CPU is holding the 960 back. Decreasing the resolution does not ease the load on the CPU as much, it mostly helps the GPU. CPU upgrade also requires new RAM/Mobo. Or maybe both CPU and GPU are holding you back @ 900p.

How many collectors editions do you have?
Huh. So all this time, its actually been the CPU?

Unfortunately thats the only CE and I'll probably get about 175 out of it.

Funny thing is I just recently bought that motherboard too to replace an old one.

I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to PC parts so I appreciate any insight. I tried to put this one together myself years ago, couldn't figure it out and had to take it to someone else. They gave me a list of everything I did wrong and said the desktop probably would have exploded if I had figured out a way to turn it on with the way I had it set up.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

Funny thing is I just recently bought that motherboard too to replace an old one.

I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to PC parts so I appreciate any insight. I tried to put this one together myself years ago, couldn't figure it out and had to take it to someone else. They gave me a list of everything I did wrong and said the desktop probably would have exploded if I had figured out a way to turn it on with the way I had it set up.

They were probably full of shit, keep you coming back. There really isn't that much to it other than plugging stuff in.

There certainly isn't a lot of opportunity to blow stuff up.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
It lists the 3700x under the choice of 1 game, but when I bought it on newegg, it links to the coupon that shows both games (Borderlands 3 and The Outer Worlds game codes). I imagine it's 1, but I won't know until I get the email.

Still waiting on Amazon support. They specifically have a a page setup that lists all the CPUs and GPUs, then doesn't attach the deal to any of them. It was like some Fox News reality I had to deal with, where what I see isn't actually what I see.

Oct 27, 2017

Both CPU and GPU are bottom tier as far as minimal requirements go. Replacing one component is not going to save you from bad performance. The minimal FX CPU for Borderlands is listed as 8300, which has two extra cores while running the same speed/IPC. Your GPU kind of meets the rock bottom, and @900p it should run it even better than the standard 1080p.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Both CPU and GPU are bottom tier as far as minimal requirements go. Replacing one component is not going to save you from bad performance. The minimal FX CPU for Borderlands is listed as 8300, which has two extra cores while running the same speed/IPC. Your GPU kind of meets the rock bottom, and @900p it should run it even better than the standard 1080p.
*long exhale*

Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to piecemeal upgrade my way out of this one.

Probably just going to keep saving money, see what prices look like around the holidays for motherboards, CPUs and GPUs.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
*long exhale*

Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to piecemeal upgrade my way out of this one.

Probably just going to keep saving money, see what prices look like around the holidays for motherboards, CPUs and GPUs.

Or just buy used, tons of perfectly good hardware floating around, especially now that a lot of people have upgraded slightly older CPUs to Ryzen 3000.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
*long exhale*

If it's starting to sound too expensive, which it really is by the sounds of it because you need a full complete new build, then I'd start saving my money and get a PS5 in the fall if I were you. Or else you can save up ~$600 and look into getting a cheap gaming pre-built if you're dead set on having a PC.

But when money is super tight, consoles are not a bad option. You could also look into buying somebody's used rig if you wanted. Just gotta look for someone dependable who is upgrading.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
If it's starting to sound too expensive, which it really is by the sounds of it because you need a full complete new build, then I'd start saving my money and get a PS5 in the fall if I were you. Or else you can save up ~$600 and look into getting a cheap gaming pre-built if you're dead set on having a PC.

But when money is super tight, consoles are not a bad option. You could also look into buying somebody's used rig if you wanted. Just gotta look for someone dependable who is upgrading.
Yeah, I think I'm going to just focus on the consoles and enjoy my Switch until the next big Bethesda game is released and look for something based around that.

Always got a lot of mileage out of modding their games and I'll be definitely be wanting to do that with Starfield aswell.

Piercedveil

Oct 25, 2017
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 4GB (reusing from current build)

~$860 total.

How does my build below look if I were to go with AMD? Quoted my potential Intel build above for reference. Over $100 less for seemingly comparable performance seems pretty nice.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.69 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($107.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.98 @ Newegg)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 (reusing from current build)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $722.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-07 17:50 EDT-0400

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
How does my build below look if I were to go with AMD? Quoted my potential Intel build above for reference. Over $100 less for seemingly comparable performance seems pretty nice.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.69 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.95 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.98 @ Newegg)
You can get a NVMe SSD for around the price you're paying for the 1TB MX500, the HP EX920 and the Sabrent Rocket are great choices for 1TB SSDs under $115 right now.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

PCPartPicker Part List

Good build. No suggestions other than perhaps consider an M2 drive as your windows/boot drive.

edit: beaten

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok I'm an idiot and just bought a 2070 super as an upgrade from a 2070. Gonna do some testing to see if worth it. Was gonna buy cod anyway and figure I can sell my 2070 ultra for 400 or so so not a huge deal.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My desktop PC is refusing to start up, even after swapping the power supply, and it was already long-in-the-tooth to begin with, so I'm thinking about just making my laptop my full-time machine. So I have two questions:

1. I bought an RTX 2060; it was the newest piece of hardware in the build. The laptop has a mobile 1070, so that's "good enough", but it would be nice if I could still use the 2060 at home. Is an enclosure/external adapter a good idea? Some seem to be the cost of the card by themselves. And is there anyway to have a program like Blender use both for rendering (I seem to recall something about that), or will it be one or the other?

2. Any recommendations on a dock or adapter? Something that'll simplify plugging/unplugging things like speakers, monitors, ethernet, etc. I assume Type C is fine, since my partner and I both have that on our laptops. (I didn't see if hers was Thunderbolt, but I think it is.)

And the obvious follow-up question: Is there a non-crap product that does both of these?

Edit:
It looks like I'd have to buy a $300 dock to house a $300 graphics card, unless I went with some DIY situation. That sucks a bit, since I do like the OBS streaming benefits of RTX, but I guess I'll have to deal.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about upgrading from a 4690k to a ryzen 3600, however I feel like I'm not going to feel the impact of a CPU upgrade and thus make me feel like my purchase was unnecessary. Would you guys recommend the upgrade or say that I'm wasting my time? I think it makes sense for me to make the upgrade alone if it means leaving such an old architecture and joining one that not even a year old. I know in BFV alone, I should receive a decent bump in performance but other than that I'm not sure I'll notice much. Keep in mind this also means a move from DDR3 to DDR4 if that means much.

What do y'all think?

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Hi all,

1) What's your budget and currency?

Under 2500, so somewhat in "money is no object" territory.

2) What do you want to use the computer for?

Gaming/media. This is going to live in the front room on the TV.

3) When do you plan to purchase the parts and build it?

As soon as possible.

4) Are you reusing any parts or are you building a completely new computer?

Completely from scratch, my first one in years.

5) Do you only need the computer itself or do you need accessories, such as a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers?

Just the computer, at least initially.

6) Are you interested in overclocking?

Only in what I can get stable on air cooling. Not interested in water cooling.

I've taken an initial stab, based on the starting points in the OP:

I've made sure that the parts should all fit in the case (specifically the CPU cooler and the graphics card).

Even though the SSD is relatively midrange, even the low range M.2 SSDs blow my old SATA Samsung 840 out of the water.

Note that I already have the OS available so I don't need to buy a new license.

How's it look?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
That is nice. I may have to try and get one myself.

That aside... can anyone recommend good quiet / silent PSUs?

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all,

I've taken an initial stab, based on the starting points in the OP:

I've made sure that the parts should all fit in the case (specifically the CPU cooler and the graphics card).

Even though the SSD is relatively midrange, even the low range M.2 SSDs blow my old SATA Samsung 840 out of the water.

Note that I already have the OS available so I don't need to buy a new license.

How's it look?

No big changes for me to suggest, really. I might suggest looking into Noctua Chromax 140mm fans for a bit more airflow for an imperceptible amount of noise, maybe an EVGA Supernova PSU for a bit more reliability, but honestly your choices should be find. Any reason you're not going all out for a 2080Ti? Should have room in your budget for that, but if you're saving for another upgrade that makes sense.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking about upgrading from a 4690k to a ryzen 3600, however I feel like I'm not going to feel the impact of a CPU upgrade and thus make me feel like my purchase was unnecessary. Would you guys recommend the upgrade or say that I'm wasting my time? I think it makes sense for me to make the upgrade alone if it means leaving such an old architecture and joining one that not even a year old. I know in BFV alone, I should receive a decent bump in performance but other than that I'm not sure I'll notice much. Keep in mind this also means a move from DDR3 to DDR4 if that means much.

What do y'all think?

I think you answered it yourself. It depends on the games you are playing. You'll have a nice bump in some, nothing in others. Factor in Mainboard cost, ram pricing plus the time rebuilding needs I don't need think it's nesacary. If you are satisfied with game performance, maybe wait till 2020 and see what's on the market then.
But sometimes the upgrade itch needs to be scratched...

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

What do y'all think?

I wouldn't. You're spending so much money on new mobo, new ram, etc. I would either get a 3700 or not upgrade at all.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
What motherboard would you recommend me to buy for the i7-9900k cpu upgrade i'm planning, with a price range of 100-200?

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Ryzen has never been better for higher refresh rates in gaming.

Seems to do pretty well in CS:GO.

(for anyone not getting the reference; Linus Tech Tips has a video showing a Ryzen chip outclassing the corresponding Intel chip in CS:GO. So it's "never been better", except you know, when it is).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
That aside... can anyone recommend good quiet / silent PSUs?

If you want a silent PSU, instead of paying through the nose for a fanless one, buy one with a fan than spins down at low loads (which is most of them these days) at a slightly higher wattage than you would normally, so that it always stays in the range where the fan stays off. I bought a Corsair RM750x, and I don't think the fan has turned on once (and I have an overclocked 8700K and 1080Ti, so it's not a low power draw).

OmegaSkittle

Apr 25, 2018
Hello ERA,

I am looking for some advice/thoughts. I just put together a decent gaming rig (3700x, 2060SUPER) that I want to take advantage of for some cozy couch gaming on my TV in another room. I already have ethernet wired to both areas, I am just having trouble finding the best, yet cheapest route to stream to the TV.

I was planning on using the SteamLink software or Moonlight to get this done. Would the best route be to just buy a SteamLink ($65 on Amazon) or would Pi4 be a better option? The current game I am thinking of playing is Control using a DS4 controller.

Thanks!

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
No big changes for me to suggest, really. I might suggest looking into Noctua Chromax 140mm fans for a bit more airflow for an imperceptible amount of noise, maybe an EVGA Supernova PSU for a bit more reliability, but honestly your choices should be find. Any reason you're not going all out for a 2080Ti? Should have room in your budget for that, but if you're saving for another upgrade that makes sense.

I'm still gaming at 1080p, so the performance headspace on the 2080ti is mostly useless.

Oct 27, 2017
So Jedi: Fallen Order PC requirements just came out with 32GB recommended. I guess my brand new upgrade is already behind with only 16GB ram?
If I buy another 16GB does it have to be the same brand and/or timing of my existing ram, because it was pricey.

You want the same manufacturing revision/die at least, but dunno what happens if they have different XMP profiles. Manual timings should work on the same dies/revisions because the underlying chips are the same. And chances are that the same dies are not going to differ vastly in price unless you got one of those G.Skill Golden Diamond Plated RGB fashion pieces.

Me?

tenor.gif

AAIbpXN.jpg

I render and simulate in 3D, so there is no such thing as too much RAM there

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Noctua Chromax Black....

Now it looks like every other cooler. I think I might be weirdo as I come to really appreciate the beige and brown of Nuctua fans. I recently bought one of their new blacks fans and after installing it I thought it looked out of place in my case. Lol.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Seems to do pretty well in CS:GO.

(for anyone not getting the reference; Linus Tech Tips has a video showing a Ryzen chip outclassing the corresponding Intel chip in CS:GO. So it's "never been better", except you know, when it is).
I don't think that I could eyeroll any harder to this comment.

Keep the Ryzen bullshit coming though. It's nice to have a list of names.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
So Jedi: Fallen Order PC requirements just came out with 32GB recommended. I guess my brand new upgrade is already behind with only 16GB ram?

If I buy another 16GB does it have to be the same brand and/or timing of my existing ram, because it was pricey.
That's...very interesting.

Anyone else in situation like me with something like 16gb of Team Dark Pro (B-Die) and you're hesitant to buy any more of it bc it doesn't have RGB? (how silly is that)

32GBs my fucking ass.
LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.