• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So i started playing Rise of tomb raider at 4k with ultra settings . 2080ti struggles to hold 60 fps, but i just checked benchmarks and even founders edition usually holds 70ish on average . I am just wondering is theres something i am missing? And i use dx12 mode for performance gains

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So i started playing Rise of tomb raider at 4k with ultra settings . 2080ti struggles to hold 60 fps, but i just checked benchmarks and even founders edition usually holds 70ish on average . I am just wondering is theres something i am missing? And i use dx12 mode for performance gains
What's your CPU?

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edit- Wrong Tomb Raider. Not sure what the issue might be. You should be beasting with that setup though.

Last edited:

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Are you using custom settings or one of the default (which one)? Using a ingame monitoring software, what's the GPU load during gaming?

Maybe fiddle with ray tracing and DLSS? That's most likely the culprit.
Rise of TR doesn't have RTX and DLSS. You are talking about Shadow of the TR.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you using custom settings or one of the default (which one)?

Crap, you're right. Ha, and I was just testing Rise with a 980 last week and I was surprised how well it ran. I have to replay it one day.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Are you using custom settings or one of the default (which one)? Using a ingame monitoring software, what's the GPU load during gaming?

I'm using custom everything on ultra except for AA, which is set on fxaa and pure hair is just on, instead of very high. My gpu load ranges from 80% to 97% average I would say is like 90,95%?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

I've recently discovered that the signal strength impacts the framerate in Rise of the Tomb Raider when using an Xbox One controller. For the sake of testing, you might want to try checking your framerates with it turned off and using a mouse and keyboard instead.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've recently discovered that the signal strength impacts the framerate in Rise of the Tomb Raider when using an Xbox One controller. For the sake of testing, you might want to try checking your framerates with it turned off and using a mouse and keyboard instead.
This seems so random, Hahah I will test it tomorrow. Thanks

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
This seems so random, Hahah I will test it tomorrow. Thanks

Ya, I had no idea such a thing could happen but I literally just discovered this two days ago while playing it. I was at a spot where I was dropping under 60fps when I'm normally hitting 80 to 100 at 1440p with everything maxed out. Then at one point I made it drop into single digits and that's when I noticed that as I moved the controller closer, the framerate would improve and it would disappear completely if I turned off the controller. Apparently other games have similar behavior too but I haven't checked to verify.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Cross posting from another thread:

Anyone have a tutorial on how to use nvidia custom resolution scaling + freestyle image sharpening to improve FPS at 4K? Not really sure where to start or look...

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Ya, I had no idea such a thing could happen but I literally just discovered this two days ago while playing it. I was at a spot where I was dropping under 60fps when I'm normally hitting 80 to 100 at 1440p with everything maxed out. Then at one point I made it drop into single digits and that's when I noticed that as I moved the controller closer, the framerate would improve and it would disappear completely if I turned off the controller. Apparently other games have similar behavior too but I haven't checked to verify.

Ok WTF Microsoft. That's completely insane. Have you checked what happens in these cases, is it Bluetooth issues causing some massive CPU hogging or something?

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Cross posting from another thread:

Anyone have a tutorial on how to use nvidia custom resolution scaling + freestyle image sharpening to improve FPS at 4K? Not really sure where to start or look...

First off if the games you play support resolution scaling right from the menu use that instead, it's less hassle. Otherwise you would just create a resolution at say 75% of 4K as a custom resolution and that should show up in the game. You need to make one for each refresh rate you want to use which is a bit annoying.

Then you need to have GeForce Experience installed and play a game that supports the Freestyle injector. There's probably a list somewhere but if it's not supported GeForce Experience will say so with an on screen banner.

When in game, press Alt+F3 to show the menu and add the Sharpen filter. Play around with its settings until it looks good to you. For native 4K I would suggest a low value like 10-20% and for upscaling try something between 30-50%. Ideally you would have a sharper image but without visible artifacts like bright or dark halos around edges.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Just order my first >60hz monitor! Alienware 120hz GSync Ultrawide!

question: With GSync active, do I turn off V-sync in games?

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, screws and such are always supplied together with the motherboard/case; they are typically never included with HDDs/SSDs due to the number of different mounting systems.

I have a ton of leftover screws from various builds, but none that small, and neither the Phantek case or Asus MB came with one. All good now.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
First off if the games you play support resolution scaling right from the menu use that instead, it's less hassle. Otherwise you would just create a resolution at say 75% of 4K as a custom resolution and that should show up in the game. You need to make one for each refresh rate you want to use which is a bit annoying.

Then you need to have GeForce Experience installed and play a game that supports the Freestyle injector. There's probably a list somewhere but if it's not supported GeForce Experience will say so with an on screen banner.

When in game, press Alt+F3 to show the menu and add the Sharpen filter. Play around with its settings until it looks good to you. For native 4K I would suggest a low value like 10-20% and for upscaling try something between 30-50%. Ideally you would have a sharper image but without visible artifacts like bright or dark halos around edges.

this is great! Thanks for taking the time to explain it so well. My thanks to you!

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
So about a month ago I got my first (desktop) PC, with these specs:

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC
Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200MHz
Corsair TX650M 650W Modular 80+ Gold PSU
Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2-2280 NVMe PCIe SSD
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III SSD
Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive

From day one I was having issues where the system would crash and restart often, during games 9/10 times. Also a bunch of blue screens, including one that said "critical process died" I think, which completely locked me out of Windows and I had to reinstall. ALSO some other stuff like HDR making everything look grey and fuzzy (which made me think I had a faulty GPU), and my desktop resolution sometimes randomly going to 480p. Sent it off to the repair guys and they said they had no issues the whole time and couldn't find a fault. The only things they really did apart from testing were reinstall Windows again and update the BIOS to the most recent ones, but not sure if they did that immediately or not. For some reason the guys I bought the board from updated it to BIOS that were recent but slightly out of date - Destiny 2 wouldn't launch at the time as that's apparently a known problem with Ryzen 3000 unless you've installed the right update.

I've had it back for about two weeks now and haven't had a single problem (I could barely go twenty minutes it crashing before), so not really asking for help, but I was kind of disappointed that they couldn't find a fault as I was really curious about what the problem was. I don't know shit about PCs really, can BIOS really cause all that? The only other thing I thought might have caused it was the fact that I had the PC plugged into an extension lead, which was plugged into another extension lead, which was plugged into another. Since I got it back from repairs I've just been using a much longer lead to go straight into the wall.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

From day one I was having issues where the system would crash and restart often, during games 9/10 times. Also a bunch of blue screens, including one that said "critical process died" I think, which completely locked me out of Windows and I had to reinstall. ALSO some other stuff like HDR making everything look grey and fuzzy (which made me think I had a faulty GPU), and my desktop resolution sometimes randomly going to 480p. Sent it off to the repair guys and they said they had no issues the whole time and couldn't find a fault. The only things they really did apart from testing were reinstall Windows again and update the BIOS to the most recent ones, but not sure if they did that immediately or not. For some reason the guys I bought the board from updated it to BIOS that were recent but slightly out of date - Destiny 2 wouldn't launch at the time as that's apparently a known problem with Ryzen 3000 unless you've installed the right update.

I've had it back for about two weeks now and haven't had a single problem (I could barely go twenty minutes it crashing before), so not really asking for help, but I was kind of disappointed that they couldn't find a fault as I was really curious about what the problem was. I don't know shit about PCs really, can BIOS really cause all that? The only other thing I thought might have caused it was the fact that I had the PC plugged into an extension lead, which was plugged into another extension lead, which was plugged into another. Since I got it back from repairs I've just been using a much longer lead to go straight into the wall.

Your power cable arrange absolutely could have been the issue. You can actually cause a fire by doing that. Longer cords use appropriate gauge wire and you defeated that multiple times, apparently.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

From day one I was having issues where the system would crash and restart often, during games 9/10 times. Also a bunch of blue screens, including one that said "critical process died" I think, which completely locked me out of Windows and I had to reinstall. ALSO some other stuff like HDR making everything look grey and fuzzy (which made me think I had a faulty GPU), and my desktop resolution sometimes randomly going to 480p. Sent it off to the repair guys and they said they had no issues the whole time and couldn't find a fault. The only things they really did apart from testing were reinstall Windows again and update the BIOS to the most recent ones (not sure if they did that immediately or not). For some reason the guys I bought the board from updated it to BIOS that were recent but slightly out of date - Destiny 2 wouldn't launch at the time as that's apparently a known problem with Ryzen 3000 unless you've installed the right update.

I've had it back for about two weeks now and haven't had a single problem (I could barely go half an hour without it crashing before), so not really asking for help, but I was kind of disappointed that they couldn't find a fault as I was really curious about what the problem was. I don't know shit about PCs really, can BIOS really cause all that? The only other thing I thought might have caused it was the fact that I had the PC plugged into an extension lead, which was plugged into another extension lead, which was plugged into another. Since I got it back from repairs I've just been using a much longer lead to go straight into the wall.

it could be something trivial like RAM needing to be reseated or a loose power cable going into the video card.

On the software side, it's possible windows had a driver conflict and the reinstall fixed that.

But yes, a BIOS update AND chipset update can make a positive difference. Which is why when you have a stable system, don't update the bios unless you absolutely need to.

oh yeah and stop using extension cables. Not safe for permanent use.

rybrad

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to figure out if I did an ok job on the paste on my 3700x (I already redid it once because of my neurosis). The problem is I am not sure what to use for checking temps and what normal ranges are. I was using Ryzen Master which I saw recommended often for "accuracy" but I saw this reddit comment from a guy at Anandtech that says Ryzen master is total shit in regards to accuracy which others seemed to agree with. Anyone with a 3000 series CPU have any input?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

I assume the AW3418DW? Got one a few months ago. So fucking great.

Consensus for gsync/vsync is both on in the nVidia control panel, vsync off in-game.

Additionally if in-game FPS limiter exists, set it to a few FPS below your max refresh. If not you can do it in riva tuner statistics server (which will install when you install MSI Afterburner).

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Your power cable arrange absolutely could have been the issue. You can actually cause a fire by doing that. Longer cords use appropriate gauge wire and you defeated that multiple times, apparently.
Oh. Welp. Shit. Good thing it was only for a few days.
it could be something trivial like RAM needing to be reseated or a loose power cable going into the video card.

On the software side, it's possible windows had a driver conflict and the reinstall fixed that.

But yes, a BIOS update AND chipset update can make a positive difference. Which is why when you have a stable system, don't update the bios unless you absolutely need to.

oh yeah and stop using extension cables. Not safe for permanent use.
I see. Thanks, guys.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure I already know the answer, but figured I'd ask anyway

I recently moved and when I plugged my computer in, it wouldn't start. It would boot up but almost immediately turn off. And then it would attempt to start up again on its own. I had to kill the power switch on the power supply to shut it off. I thought maybe something got loose, so I unseated and reseated everything but the CPU and CPU cooler and started it up. And it worked!...for an hour. There was a solid day where I could start my computer and it would go an hour before shutting off. After that, I couldn't get past starting it up and immediately shutting off. At one point, I would start the PC and the fans would immediately kick to maximum before the whole thing powered off.

I've now unseated everything from the Mobo except my CPU and CPU cooler, and the computer sill shuts off immediately after turning on. So I think it's narrowed down to either the Power Supply or the motherboard. And I'm almost 100% sure it's the motherboard since it was still happening after I unseated everything. I don't have spares for either, but does anyone else have any ideas that might be causing this, or should I go looking for a new Mobo?

Specs:
CPU: i7 4790k
Cooler: CoolerMaster 212 Evo
Mobo: Gigabyte Z97x UD3H
RAM: 2 x 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
GPU: Zotac RTX 2080 AMP 8 GB
PSU: CoolerMaster GX II 750W

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR

I recently moved and when I plugged my computer in, it wouldn't start. It would boot up but almost immediately turn off. And then it would attempt to start up again on its own. I had to kill the power switch on the power supply to shut it off. I thought maybe something got loose, so I unseated and reseated everything but the CPU and CPU cooler and started it up. And it worked!...for an hour. There was a solid day where I could start my computer and it would go an hour before shutting off. After that, I couldn't get past starting it up and immediately shutting off. At one point, I would start the PC and the fans would immediately kick to maximum before the whole thing powered off.

I've now unseated everything from the Mobo except my CPU and CPU cooler, and the computer sill shuts off immediately after turning on. So I think it's narrowed down to either the Power Supply or the motherboard. And I'm almost 100% sure it's the motherboard since it was still happening after I unseated everything. I don't have spares for either, but does anyone else have any ideas that might be causing this, or should I go looking for a new Mobo?

Specs:

Take out the motherboard. Make sure there's nothing wedged under it that might've come loose in the move that is now shorting out the motherboard.

The behavior when it "worked" sounds like a thermal issue, so you might want to remove the heat sink and re-do the thermal paste. Make sure you clean the old stuff off before you re apply. It may have come loose and the system is turning off to save your CPU.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Take out the motherboard. Make sure there's nothing wedged under it that might've come loose in the move that is now shorting out the motherboard.

The behavior when it "worked" sounds like a thermal issue, so you might want to remove the heat sink and re-do the thermal paste. Make sure you clean the old stuff off before you re apply. It may have come loose and the system is turning off to save your CPU.

Specs:

if the above doesn't work, consider resetting motherboard cmos so everything goes back to default. It sounds like an issue where the appropriate power is not reaching your cpu and something is tripping the motherboard to protect the CPU, gblues is on to something there.

Also be sure to check a screw, riser, wire, or unused cable is not touching the motherboard causing a short. Things get rattled in moves.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to figure out if I did an ok job on the paste on my 3700x (I already redid it once because of my neurosis). The problem is I am not sure what to use for checking temps and what normal ranges are. I was using Ryzen Master which I saw recommended often for "accuracy" but I saw this reddit comment from a guy at Anandtech that says Ryzen master is total shit in regards to accuracy which others seemed to agree with. Anyone with a 3000 series CPU have any input?

I'm no expert but HWMonitor seems to work fine for me to check temps and fan rpms.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017

if the above doesn't work, consider resetting motherboard cmos so everything goes back to default. It sounds like an issue where the appropriate power is not reaching your cpu and something is tripping the motherboard to protect the CPU, gblues is on to something there.

Also be sure to check a screw, riser, wire, or unused cable is not touching the motherboard causing a short. Things get rattled in moves.
Ah thanks I'll try all of this! Although I'm not sure if it's thermal since when it was "working" I had Core Temp and MSI Afterburner running while it crashed. And temperatures were pretty normal, never got too high. I think the CPU cores got to maybe 70 C

Shortbread

Sep 10, 2018
I'm having problems getting my ram to work with the XMP profile. When I enable XMP it'll blue screen before getting to windows. I can boot into windows fine if I disable XMP, but then the ram is only running at 2666Mhz instead of the advertised 3200Mhz. I've updated the bios to the latest version. Any help would be appreciated.

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16
Mobo: x570 Aorus Elite
CPU: 3700x

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having problems getting my ram to work with the XMP profile. When I enable XMP it'll blue screen before getting to windows. I can boot into windows fine if I disable XMP, but then the ram is only running at 2666Mhz instead of the advertised 3200Mhz. I've updated the bios to the latest version. Any help would be appreciated.

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16
Mobo: x570 Aorus Elite
CPU: 3700x

I had that RAM in my last build and it worked fine on XMP on an old b350m motherboard. Consider running memtest on it to see if there are errors. Consider take a couple of hours to run the tests.

Last edited:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017

Turn v-sync off in games, but force it through Nvidia Control Panel. Use Nvidia Inpsector to force your global framerate limit to be 1 frame below your monitor's maximum refresh rate, too. That last one is a common trick to mitigate stutter due to G-Sync getting wonky once your framerate exceeds your monitor's refresh rate.

You can also use Nvidia Inspector to force specific frame limits in games where you can't hit 120FPS consistently.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

Based on this neither will be particularly great for gaming. Lack of SMT will make the 3500X not worth it and the lower clockspeeds will make the 3900 not that great as clock speed is still king for gaming situations. That said, if it's priced right it could be a good alternative to the 3700X if it allows for better overall performance due to having more cores on each chiplet and thus reducing the need to communicate between the two. However I expect it will be just a little bit less than the 3900X making it a bad value for money for gamers.

Oct 27, 2017
Last piece of the puzzle - could anyone recommend a good set of speakers for gaming please?

Preferably Bluetooth, I'm trying to get rid of as many wires as possible, but will go wired if that's a better option.

Probably looking at the €/$200 range, thanks.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, got a q about RAM, if anyone can help.

I currently have DDR3 2x4GB 1600 RAM on my PC. Looking to upgrade that a tad. Should I just get an additional 2x4 at the same speed? Does it have to be the exact same sticks?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Last piece of the puzzle - could anyone recommend a good set of speakers for gaming please?

Preferably Bluetooth, I'm trying to get rid of as many wires as possible, but will go wired if that's a better option.

This might be a bit out of your range, but you might want to consider the Audioengine A2+ speakers.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England

Soundbars can be controversial, but I bought the Razer Leviathan last year and it's really impressed me. I use it in Bluetooth for the same reason - trying to get rid of as many wires as possible. Clutter-free look is one of the reasons I wanted a soundbar to sit under the monitor, rather than a pair of speakers sitting either side of it.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Boy this gsync over hdmi driver seems to be taking quite a while for nvidia to release.
Yeah those things can take awhile. It took Sony ~8months longer than expected to deliver Dolby Vision updates to certain TV models like mine. It was supposed to be released in late 2017 and then wasn't delivered until May-Jone '18. LG has taken a long time with fixing bugs in their firmware too, such as the elevated black levels issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.