• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Question. My rig I will be building next Tuesday will be this. i9-9900K, SSD 860 samsung and velcdoraptor 10k rpm for internal ssd and 2080 super gpu. Is that going to be powerful than the next gen? I am worried that it is not. If it is not. Should I start over?

The next-gen consoles are not gonna have a $500 CPU and $700 GPU. They are going to have an innovative yet powerful custom solution, but there will be compromises.

Don't flame me for this opinion, it's just pure fun speculation, but my guess is that if they are $399 USD and it's already confirmed they will have an SSD and 8 core CPU, and 4K blu ray drive, we'll see the equivalent of a 5700 with some custom developer tools to make it perform well above the "on paper" performance specs.

At $499USD, who knows. We may see 5700XT performance but I suspect we're more likely to see a higher CPU clock speed + more or faster RAM rather than a big GPU upgrade.

The way you think about it is that if you're buying right now, you're over a year ahead of the game. And you're paying a premium for that.

this is a pretty good time in history to buy a GPU. There is a ridiculous amount of competition in the space at literally every price point and resolution level.

A 1080p gamer is SET right now. 5700 or 1660ti are ridiculously good value.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
true. that's why I often kind of side grade. Sold a Vega 64 nitro at an actual profit to grab a 2070. The 2070 I bought was a great deal ($450) and I won't lose much on it. Hopefully next year there is a $400ish card I can do the same with for a nice boost.

I also sold my monitor I bought for $280 for $250 and bought a better $300 monitor. I think holding onto things forever is more of a losing proposition.

x1000000

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question. My rig I will be building next Tuesday will be this. i9-9900K, SSD 860 samsung and velcdoraptor 10k rpm for internal ssd and 2080 super gpu. Is that going to be powerful than the next gen? I am worried that it is not. If it is not. Should I start over?
Not sure if you are serious but I think you'll be good on the GPU and CPU front, lol. Also, unless the 860 is from a current build though I would maybe go NVMe seeing as how you are going all out with the rest of the parts.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
thanks, lets get the basics out-of-the-way first.

I would first check to see if your drivers are up-to-date, particularly your video card.

Make sure windows itself is up-to-date. You may have an update failing in the background you haven't noticed yet.

If all that is fine, then let's move on to the hardware steps. (conversely, if it was not good, meaning you needed to do an update, try and push your hardware by playing overwatch again once you have the software updated and see if the problem occurs).

Next, hardware basics. The fact you upgraded your motherboard recently means there are small things that could be causing the issue. Such as a loose cable, loose screw somewhere, etc. Particularly focus on power cables, make sure they are secure.

Re-seat your RAM. It's possible they are not sitting fully secure, or worse yet, there could be some debris (like a staple) in the connectors.

do a visual inspection of your CPU cooler. Make sure it's sitting properly.

Re-seat your new GPU, for the same reason as the RAM noted above.

if your power supply is modular, make sure the cables are securely fastened to the power supply itself. Very easy to jiggle them loose especially during the new motherboard install. If you have zip ties for cable management, make sure those are not inadvertently tugging on something going into the motherboard. Case fans air can push/pull cables ever so slightly causing a short or glitch.

hope that helps! Report back if it does :)
Wow thank you so much for this. Will do!

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Not sure if you are serious but I think you'll be good on the GPU and CPU front, lol. Also, unless the 860 is from a current build though I would maybe go NVMe seeing as how you are going all out with the rest of the parts.

Can I keep my 860 and cop the NVMe? I want to be PC next gen ready.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
If you already have one, especially if it is 1tb or bigger, I dont think you really need to. I went from a 840 to 970 Evo Plus and the hell if I can tell the difference.

Good looks, man. Thank you, sir. I am a PC noob and I am going to build it on Tuesday 15th. Wish me luck that I won't flop or shock myself.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
OK guys.

I know the Arkham Knight port is bad, but between crashing every 10-15 minutes and now this, tell me this isn't a faulty GPU (not the first weird visual glitch I've had).

208650_20191010014541_1.png

208650_20191010014548_1.png

Not happening with any other games yet, although this did fuck up my entire desktop too.

Last edited:

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
OK guys.

I know the Arkham Knight port is bad, but between crashing every 10-15 minutes and now this, tell me this isn't a faulty GPU (not the first weird visual glitch I've had).

208650_20191010014541_1.png

208650_20191010014548_1.png

Not happening with any other games yet, although this did fuck up my entire desktop too.

I think I have the same GPU as you and haven't seen any issues. Played around an hour of the EGS version. Hope it's not a defective card :(

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
When hooking up a GeForce 2080 it wants a 6-pin and 8-pin power cable. Does the 6-pin need to be on both sides, or can you do 8-pin power-supply side to 6-pin video card input?

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Well, got all the parts. Tmrw is the day. Gonna tear down the current rig and get the new one up and running with hopefully no issues (knock on wood)

Will be reusing the Case, fans, two 2.5" SSD's and my 1080Ti. Could probably reuse the old PSU as well but I wanted a smaller size one (physical size, way too big for my current case. Just barely fits)

PzwIB6X.jpg

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Your question is confusing. Usually the 8 pins have a 2 pin split. So, one all of the pins and one 6 of the pins.

Looking for a cable I was finding a good number of 8pin to 8pin with two of the pins able to break off separately. Basically an 8pin to 6+2pin.

Not sure why 6pin male to 6pin male is being difficult, but I'm trying to work with what I can find.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for a cable I was finding a good number of 8pin to 8pin with two of the pins able to break off separately. Basically an 8pin to 6+2pin.

Not sure why 6pin male to 6pin male is being difficult, but I'm trying to work with what I can find.

There is no 6 pin to 6 pin. You use the 8 to 8 and don't use the 2 separate pins on the GPU end.

I also don't know where you are looking but please know that the PSU end of power cables is not standardized. You can damage equipment if you use cables not made for your specific PSU.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Use the 8 pins on one and then use the 6 pins but don't plug in 2 of the pins. It's fine if they aren't plugged in.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Well yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Use the 8 pins on one and then use the 6 pins but don't plug in 2 of the pins. It's fine if they aren't plugged in.
There is no 6 pin to 6 pin. You use the 8 to 8 and don't use the 2 separate pins on the GPU end.

I also don't know where you are looking but please know that the PSU end of power cables is not standardized. You can damage equipment if you use cables not made for your specific PSU.

Explains a lot, thanks. I was going off the Nvidia manual here which said "GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER graphics card requires one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express power plugs from the system power supply." and it just wasn't making a lot of sense with what I could find.

Also, PCIe isn't standardized? I was looking at a pair of these but maybe I need to keep in researching.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Explains a lot, thanks. I was going off the Nvidia manual here which said "GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER graphics card requires one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express power plugs from the system power supply." and it just wasn't making a lot of sense with what I could find.

Also, PCIe isn't standardized? I was looking at a pair of these but maybe I need to keep in researching.
The connectors at the GPU are standardized, the connections at the PSU are not.

Corsair, EVGA, Thermaltake, etc... all use different pinouts for their modular cables. You would not want to jam a Corsair PSU cable into an EVGA PSU, even if the connector did fit.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017

Corsair, EVGA, Thermaltake, etc... all use different pinouts for their modular cables. You would not want to jam a Corsair PSU cable into an EVGA PSU, even if the connector did fit.

Ok, I've got to admit to being a bit lost here. When I got my card it was basically a box with a graphics card inside, nothing else. I got this card here, EVGA 2080 Super. I don't quite get why, if it requires a specific type of hard-to-find cable, it wasn't included.

-edit- Ack, wait, I got that backwards. My PSU is a Corsair 850X, so the Corsair cables I'm looking at would be right. Sorry, combing through too many things and my brain short circuited a bit.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I've got to admit to being a bit lost here. When I got my card it was basically a box with a graphics card inside, nothing else. I got this card here, EVGA 2080 Super. I don't quite get why, if it requires a specific type of hard-to-find cable, it wasn't included.

-edit- Ack, wait, I got that backwards. My PSU is a Corsair 850X, so the Corsair cables I'm looking at would be right. Sorry, combing through too many things and my brain short circuited a bit.

Your PSU almost certainly came with the appropriate cables for this. You probably already have them unless you are specifically trying to get colorful. In that case use caution to ensure the cable will work. Edit: If you have an RM850x then those cables indicate that they will work, if you are trying to get colorful.

There is no hard to find cable. It can't come with the GPU because they do not know which PSU you have.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nah that ain't true.They are standardized outside of it being not modular. But if it'd hardwired into the psu then the only end that matters is the end you're plugging into components.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Look for a cable that looks similar to this...
2f4f9ef6_image.jpeg

Plug that end in your card.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Nah that ain't true.They are standardized outside of it being not modular. But if it'd hardwired into the psu then the only end that matters is the end you're plugging into components.

I don't know what you are trying to say, but the PSU end of modular power supplies is not standardized. People on just about every forum I frequent have damaged hardware by using the wrong cables.

I do not even trust cables from the same brand without checking because they rebrand PSUs made by different OEMs.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what you are trying to say, but the PSU end of modular power supplies is not standardized. People on just about every forum I frequent have damaged hardware by using the wrong cables.

I do not even trust cables from the same brand without checking because they rebrand PSUs made by different OEMs.

I would say you are reading crazy shit. If the pins fit it is fine.

Edit: I mean I don't know what the scenario is that you don't have the cables that came with the psu. Like why wouldn't you. What are you doing if that is the case.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

Edit: I mean I don't know what the scenario is that you don't have the cables that came with the psu. Like why wouldn't you. What are you doing if that is the case.

People throw years worth of cables in a box and just grab one.

I am not sure why you are doubling down on this. The point you think you are making is the problem. They physically fit but they are not electrically compatible.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
USA

People throw years worth of cables in a box and just grab one.

I am not sure why you are doubling down on this. The point you think you are making is the problem. They physically fit but they are not electrically compatible.

The video I posted is literally about this exact issue. Seems he didn't watch it.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Your PSU almost certainly came with the appropriate cables for this. You probably already have them unless you are specifically trying to get colorful. In that case use caution to ensure the cable will work. Edit: If you have an RM850x then those cables indicate that they will work, if you are trying to get colorful.

There is no hard to find cable. It can't come with the GPU because they do not know which PSU you have.

When I did my upgrade I farmed out my old card and motherboard to family. They got the cords because I didn't realize at the time it would be a pain to replace them.

rybrad

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a weird RAM issue I am dealing with for the past couple of days on my new 3700x build. I finally found some stable settings for my RAM at the rated speed (3600) and tested on the Google Stress test app for 2 hours with no hardware errors. The issue I have is that whenever I restart windows, I get a bsod after it restarts and gets to windows. If I do a complete shutdown it is totally fine on next boot. This doesn't happen if I run my ram at the stock speed of 2133mhz so it is something from my ram settings that I can't sort out. Any ideas on what to look at?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
You can zip tie them as long as they won't hit the blades.

I think you also have the fans on the wrong side, you want the fans to push through the radiator not pull.
Yeah the blades would still spin fine, I was just worried about whether it's okay to keep AIO tubes a bit tight with zip ties. I'll give it a go =)

Fans are in pull config as an intake. I'm crazy about airflow. I watched a lot of videos, and read a lot of posts, obsessing over whether the radiator should be an intake or exhaust, push or pull, and figured for my use case a pull intake would be best. The temps are ridiculously good =)

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
So, I bought this USB hub for my girlfriend

We connected her speakers and another device into it but whenever we connect a PS4 controller it cuts off power to the speakers.
I tried connecting something that would take much less power and all 3 worked.

Does this thing just not have enough power for something like speakers + charging a DS4?

Oct 27, 2017
Is Corsair's case fans good? And is it compatible with NZXT case?

Cheapest Corsair fans are not reviewed that well. Corsair has high quality line-ups for premium price, but for that price, ditch the gimmicks like RGB and Buzzwords, just go with Noctua fans.

If you don't want to spend $20-30/fan, go with Fractal Dynamic X2 or lower cost Be Quiet lineups. If you need 3 fans, some vendors have 3-packs, but you would have to do a little internet search to see which ones are excellent price/performance.

As long as you pick the right size, all fans are compatible with the case.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Cheapest Corsair fans are not reviewed that well. Corsair has high quality line-ups for premium price, but for that price, ditch the gimmicks like RGB and Buzzwords, just go with Noctua fans.

If you don't want to spend $20-30/fan, go with Fractal Dynamic X2 or lower cost Be Quiet lineups. If you need 3 fans, some vendors have 3-packs, but you would have to do a little internet search to see which ones are excellent price/performance.

As long as you pick the right size, all fans are compatible with the case.
Is Noctua Chromax good? I can't find a lot review for them.

Oct 27, 2017
Is Noctua Chromax good? I can't find a lot review for them.

Very good. Noctua only makes quality fans: they don't have budget or misleading line-ups where they would use the brand reputation to push lower quality products.

Chromax is just the sub-name of the colored/black fans of theirs. Any Chromax fan is the equivalent of non-Chromax fan (brown/pale yellow).

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very happy with this build, but I'm such a moron. I was looking up the Phanteks P400A & P400S in reviews and that's where my head was at, but I ended up ordering the plain P400 when I bought it. 🙄

_Jelly_fish

Oct 5, 2019
Melbourne
I'm currently rocking a rig with a gtx 1080 and feel pretty comfortable with most new games

How long till I have to worry about being unable to just chuck everything to max and calling it a day?

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The video I posted is literally about this exact issue. Seems he didn't watch it.

Interesting. I guess I don't understand why you would have a scenario of psu cables not matched to the PSU. Any extras from a build should go in the box of, you know, the psu you bought. .Now I know to not do something I most likely would have never done anyway. Still good to know though.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How well a Ryzen 7 3700x pairs with a rtx 2080ti?
Im looking to build a new pc and the ryzen is really cheap here were i live

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

If you haven't bought the parts or don't have an existing Intel chipset motherboard (just changing the CPU) yet I would go for Ryzen 3700X over the 9900K because it's a helluva lot cheaper and is barely any slower in gaming. The rig you're planning will be plenty. I hate HDD noise though so I'd put money towards going all SSD unless those are your existing hard drives.

The next gen consoles will be a downclocked 3700X equivalent CPU and maybe a roughly 5700/XT GPU.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seems I can't run rise of tomb raider 4k locked 60fps no matter what. Now my question. I have Sony x900e 4k TV and it does scaling for 1080p wonderfully. But other resolutions are really blurry, except for 4k of course. I'm just wondering if I select gpu scaling /integer scaling would the outcome be better? Running 1440p for example? Or is it because of nature of TVs, I shouldn't even try to use custom resolutions?

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
If you haven't bought the parts or don't have an existing Intel chipset motherboard (just changing the CPU) yet I would go for Ryzen 3700X over the 9900K because it's a helluva lot cheaper and is barely any slower in gaming. The rig you're planning will be plenty. I hate HDD noise though so I'd put money towards going all SSD unless those are your existing hard drives.

The next gen consoles will be a downclocked 3700X equivalent CPU and maybe a roughly 5700/XT GPU.

Yea I got the i9-9900K already. I was going to go with the 3700x but I already made the decision to get the i9 due to the motherboard. I originally wanted a 3900x but fuck man. It is good and I can't wait.

I planned on getting HDD for externals not internal. I am going to get a 2nd SSD sometimes in February or so.

Wait, you don't think the PS5/Scarlett will be a 2070 Super Equivalent in terms of GPU?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Seems I can't run rise of tomb raider 4k locked 60fps no matter what. Now my question. I have Sony x900e 4k TV and it does scaling for 1080p wonderfully. But other resolutions are really blurry, except for 4k of course. I'm just wondering if I select gpu scaling /integer scaling would the outcome be better? Running 1440p for example? Or is it because of nature of TVs, I shouldn't even try to use custom resolutions?

I can't speak to that specific game but I did set a custom resolution successfully on a TV that only does 1080p and 4k otherwise it upscales. 1440p never looked right upscaled to 4K so I had mild hopes for a custom resolution close to full 4K.

What I did was set a custom resolution to 1800p (so 3200x1800) in Nvidia control panel, and the option appeared in the game (Sekiro). Went from 52-60 FPS at 4K (2160p) on high quality to a locked 60fps at 1800p on max settings. Then I used GeForce image sharpening. Incredible result!

I guess the GPU and/or TV is handling then upscaling well enough too from 1800p —> 2160p is not a huge difference.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't speak to that specific game but I did set a custom resolution successfully on a TV that only does 1080p and 4k otherwise it upscales. 1440p never looked right upscaled to 4K so I had mild hopes for a custom resolution close to full 4K.

What I did was set a custom resolution to 1800p (so 3200x1800) in Nvidia control panel, and the option appeared in the game (Sekiro). Went from 52-60 FPS at 4K (2160p) on high quality to a locked 60fps at 1800p on max settings. Then I used GeForce image sharpening. Incredible result!

I guess the GPU and/or TV is handling then upscaling well enough too from 1800p —> 2160p is not a huge difference.
I created that res too , just now. I just dont know what should i pick. GPU or TV itself doing the scaling. Like Seems it would impact performance if choosing gpu, but TVs own scaler might not be as good?

Status
Not open for further replies.