• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macindc

Oct 27, 2017
Unless on a really strict budget or need terabytes and terabytes of storage, I don't know why y'all are still buying mechanical drives. You can get the MicroCenter in-house brand 1TB SSDs for like $80.

In my case as I mentioned I have a Plex server so I do actually want/need TBs of storage and SSDs give no benefit there. Not to mention that for data archival purposes HDDs are still superior since when they fail they tend to do so "gracefully" (with a good bit of advance notice and with potential for data recovery), where if an SSD goes it's more likely to be sudden and good luck trying to recover anything from it.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
So question:

What's usually the "best" or most reliable brand maker for these non reference video cards (Nvidia specifically since i remember some are exclusive to one of the 2 GPU makers)

Or is it completely subjective?
It's going to be complicated to answer this question. Each brand have multiple skus for each tier of graphics cards. So you need to do research on specific tier of graphics cards tier you are eyeing. Then look up reviews online for them. Gamer Nexus are excellent source since their testing is very through and consistent. Also like you would expect, the higher end GPU of a specific tier are usually more expensive, but also preform noticeably better then entry level GPU even of the same type. This is due to better cooling and better ability for the GPU to boost clock speed. But the big brands like Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA , and Zotac will usually have good preforming GPUs regardless of the tier.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
So on PC with an FX - 8350 / 16gb of ram / and an old AMD 7950 on medium settings i can usually get pretty close to 50-60fps with Destiny 2.I ordered an RX 570 which should be coming today. Its probably the best newer card that wont have some severe CPU bottlenecking with my old FX boards. I don't want to have to change out my entire PC by changing my CPU. Its probably way overdue, i mean, im still rocking a goddamn FX chip. But i've really gotten some mileage out of this old setup. I am really looking forward to seeing how much an improvement i can get out of the new graphics card though.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Any reason to get a core i9 9900K(S) over an i7 9700K for gaming?
Considering the street prices of the 9900ks, you are paying almost twice the money for similar gaming performance. If you are doing more then gaming In would recommend going with a 3700x because the extra 150 over the 9700k is not worth it for the regular 9900k let alone the 9900ks.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
Considering the street prices of the 9900ks, you are paying almost twice the money for similar gaming performance. If you are doing more then gaming In would recommend going with a 3700x because the extra 150 over the 9700k is not worth it for the regular 9900k let alone the 9900ks.
Is the 3700 an AMD chip? I've always been wary of them as it seems Intel stuff just plays better and is more compatible. Or maybe I'm thinking of Nvidia over AMD for GPUs. Is the 2080ti still the way to go if I make a build in March, or will something be just around the corner from then? What about motherboard and memory recommendations? ~$3000 budget. Need to upgrade from my 2011 build with i7 2700k and dual 980s.

macindc

Oct 27, 2017
Is the 3700 an AMD chip? I've always been wary of them as it seems Intel stuff just plays better and is more compatible. Or maybe I'm thinking of Nvidia over AMD for GPUs. Is the 2080ti still the way to go if I make a build in March, or will something be just around the corner from then? What about motherboard and memory recommendations? ~$3000 budget. Need to upgrade from my 2011 build with i7 2700k and dual 980s.

You're thinking with the 2011 mentality still. AMD and Intel are on much more equal footing now. Nvidia vs. AMD for GPUs are still quite a ways apart though, at least at the high-end.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

The next nVidia card/s I expect like Q2, Q3 next year so I'm not sure I'd buy a 2080Ti in March. If you were buying a motherboard now I'd say an ASUS ROG Maximus for Intel. I don't really know their lines for AMD but any motherboard from the main manufacturers like ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc. will be fine.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
No. Amd has catched up to Intel with their latest CPUs and are arguably a better value for the money. In multithreaded applications, the 3700x gets really close to the 9900k and beats the 9700k. But the latter is still noticably better at gaming then anything amd has to offer. The 9900k just excels at everything but you have to pay for it. So if you are only gaming and want a high end CPU, get the 9700k. If you are doing any thread heavy workloads, considering the 3700x. If you don't want to spend a lot of money on CPU, consider the 3600.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Unless on a really strict budget or need terabytes and terabytes of storage, I don't know why y'all are still buying mechanical drives. You can get the MicroCenter in-house brand 1TB SSDs for like $80.
Agreed. HDDs are obsolete.

Unless you're one of those rare people that archives gigs and gigs of family photos and videos. But nobody needed even more than a couple TBs of hard drive space several years ago before SDDs became this affordable. People simply hoard data.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Any reason to get a core i9 9900K(S) over an i7 9700K for gaming?
Yes, it is still the best gaming chip; it has 16 threads too. But the 9700K is still the best VALUED gaming chip you can get for your money at $299.99. It's easily the recommended purchase for most people building a new rig specific to gaming, today.
If you're waiting for March then I would wait until the next round of graphics cards releases sometime next year. The 2080 Ti is already over one year old and not good value at this point. I'd find a way to get by on something else until then, and then you can buy next year's best graphics card which should be a big improvement.

Right now, the recommended GPUs are the 2080 Super on the high end for $699, 2070 Super, 5700 XT, 5700, all the way down to the 1660 Ti on best valued enthusiast level.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
You're thinking with the 2011 mentality still. AMD and Intel are on much more equal footing now. Nvidia vs. AMD for GPUs are still quite a ways apart though, at least at the high-end.
The next nVidia card/s I expect like Q2, Q3 next year so I'm not sure I'd buy a 2080Ti in March. If you were buying a motherboard now I'd say an ASUS ROG Maximus for Intel. I don't really know their lines for AMD but any motherboard from the main manufacturers like ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc. will be fine.
No. Amd has catched up to Intel with their latest CPUs and are arguably a better value for the money. In multithreaded applications, the 3700x gets really close to the 9900k and beats the 9700k. But the latter is still noticably better at gaming then anything amd has to offer. The 9900k just excels at everything but you have to pay for it. So if you are only gaming and want a high end CPU, get the 9700k. If you are doing any thread heavy workloads, considering the 3700x. If you don't want to spend a lot of money on CPU, consider the 3600.
Yes, it is still the best gaming chip; it has 16 threads too. But the 9700K is still the best VALUED gaming chip you can get for your money at $299.99. It's easily the recommended purchase for most people building a new rig specific to gaming, today.

If you're waiting for March then I would wait until the next round of graphics cards releases sometime next year. The 2080 Ti is already over one year old and not good value at this point. I'd find a way to get by on something else until then, and then you can buy next year's best graphics card which should be a big improvement.

Right now, the recommended GPUs are the 2080 Super on the high end for $699, 2070 Super, 5700 XT, 5700, all the way down to the 1660 Ti on best valued enthusiast level.

Thanks so much everyone for your input! It is much appreciated. I'll look at the ASUS ROG Maximus. Anything specific I need to look out for for RAM? A certain clock speed or brand?

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, so if I were to order all PC parts for my build today, would this be all I need? Am I missing any crucial part? I already have an SSD for the storage.

XSjlgPv.png

TiWVMFu.png

HwPqS6M.png

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so if I were to order all PC parts for my build today, would this be all I need? Am I missing any crucial part? I already have an SSD for the storage.

There is thermal compound with the cooler, enough for 4-5 builds.

D15 front fan only works with the low profile memory. It might be alright with 2 modules, but you will definitely block the first slot.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Thanks so much everyone for your input! It is much appreciated. I'll look at the ASUS ROG Maximus. Anything specific I need to look out for for RAM? A certain clock speed or brand?

Once you pick a motherboard you should go look at the QVL for memory so you make sure to buy sticks that are on the list. Most boards support up to and over 3600Mhz but 3000/3200Mhz are perfectly fine.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Any suggestions/criticism on this build?:

PcPartPicker Link

No GPU because I'm going to use my 980 ti from my current build until Ampere 3080 releases.

I'm also debating the Ryzen 9 over 7 because I can get one for 20% off via a friend's work connections but not sure of it'll be worth it as this build will be 95% for gaming. That said I'm tempted because it'll bring the R9 to $544 CAD to the R7's $420 CAD, not that fair off from each other at that point.

Last edited:

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
my 1070 broke last month so i've been rolling with a r9 280x and it really sucks having to play on a 6 year old card.

my local microcenter has an open box evga 2080 super (this one - https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-3081-KR) for $630 (and there's a $20 rebate which is kind of hit or miss with open box items)

someone convince me not to do it

I'm leaning towards do it. Ampere cards should be just 7-8 months away now but I'd have a hard time sitting on the 280x that long.

That said, you could grab a 1660 Super for about $250 instead if you want more of a stop-gap card till then and pocket the difference for an amphere card/sell the 1660 Super later.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

PcPartPicker Link

No GPU because I'm going to use my 980 ti from my current build until Ampere 3080 releases.

I'm also debating the Ryzen 9 over 7 because I can get one for 20% off via a friend's work connections but not sure of it'll be worth it as this build will be 95% for gaming. That said I'm tempted because it'll bring the R9 to $544 CAD to the R7's $420 CAD, not that fair off from each other at that point.

Don't know how much you care about budget overall but I feel like you'd save a bunch if you got a cheaper 1TB M.2 (like Crucial P1 or the Inland) and then a 1TB SATA SSD like Samsung 850. Performance day-to-day will be the same and then the difference between the R9 and R7 is canceled out. I'm not as familiar with Canadian prices for this stuff though.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Don't know how much you care about budget overall but I feel like you'd save a bunch if you got a cheaper 1TB M.2 (like Crucial P1 or the Inland) and then a 1TB SATA SSD like Samsung 850. Performance day-to-day will be the same and then the difference between the R9 and R7 is canceled out. I'm not as familiar with Canadian prices for this stuff though.

Budget is $2500 CAD (roughly $1850 USD) so after the GPU I'm bumping right up against that. Main reason I want a nice big NVME SSD and the PS5/XboxTwo are using NVME (not Sata) SSD storage, correct? I don't want to run into any potential issues with that and the size is because I don't want to do too much copying back and forth on and off the NVME constantly for games.

You're right though, definitely could save money there.

Oct 29, 2017
Budget is $2500 CAD (roughly $1850 USD) so after the GPU I'm bumping right up against that. Main reason I want a nice big NVME SSD and the PS5/XboxTwo are using NVME (not Sata) SSD storage, correct? I don't want to run into any potential issues with that and the size is because I don't want to do too much copying back and forth on and off the NVME constantly for games.

You're right though, definitely could save money there.
You can still save with a pretty good 2TB Nvme like the Adata Sx8200 Pro

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You can still save with a pretty good 2TB Nvme like the Adata Sx8200 Pro

Tempting, but on that, what is the reason that these are cheaper? Are they lacking in features in any way?

I was looking into getting a Sabrent Rocket NVME SSD, and got turned off that people were saying it had issues copying data due to not supporting certain data sector formats, and thus had compatibility issues with certain programs. I'm just wary because my M.2 will be my boot drive so I don't want to take too many risks with it.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering what are some good 5 ghz WiFi wireless adapters I could keep a look out for to use on my PC?

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
There is thermal compound with the cooler, enough for 4-5 builds.

D15 front fan only works with the low profile memory. It might be alright with 2 modules, but you will definitely block the first slot.

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with what D15 means and what you mean by low profile memory. Do you mean the actual height of the memory sticks? By slot blocking do you mean the slots for the memory DIMMS?

Do you have a recommendation for a case and CPU fan combo?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Tempting, but on that, what is the reason that these are cheaper? Are they lacking in features in any way?

I was looking into getting a Sabrent Rocket NVME SSD, and got turned off that people were saying it had issues copying data due to not supporting certain data sector formats, and thus had compatibility issues with certain programs. I'm just wary because my M.2 will be my boot drive so I don't want to take too many risks with it.

Difference is the max theoretical speeds and partly the name on the hardware. Your original option is great so again unless you'd like to shave off some $ you don't need to change; was just making you aware you can.

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with what D15 means and what you mean by low profile memory. Do you mean the actual height of the memory sticks? By slot blocking do you mean the slots for the memory DIMMS?

Do you have a recommendation for a case and CPU fan combo?

The D15 is the CPU cooler you got. Yes the reference is to blocking DIMM slots but I'm not familiar with this cooler and what clearance it needs.

Oct 29, 2017

A few things add up to the price like Micron TLC probably being cheaper than Smasung's, but the main things are the DRAM cache and controller chip. The 2TB 970 EVO has 2GB LPDDR4 (twice as much as the 1TB model), and I believe the 2TB SX8200 Pro has 1GB DDR3 (same as the 1TB model). But that is not something one takes advantages of unless you are transferring several gigs on the background at the same time that you are playing.

You can see in the prices that the 2TB Adata more or less just costs twice the 1TB model, while the 2TB 970 EVO costs more than twice the price of the 1TB 970 EVO, since the 2TB Samsung is not just twice the storage it has other hardware changes that make it expensive.

Last edited:

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Everything has been ordered and should be here within 5 days.

ryzen 3600
Corsair Vengence 16gb 3200 RAM
Sabrent Rocket nvme 512 gb storage
rx 5700 xt
Asus x570 mobo
EVGA 600 watt PSU
NZXT H150 case

Ordered a new Logitech G602 for my arpg games too. Thanks for all the help all. Hopefully, I can contribute to this thread with all the knowledge I've picked up over the months.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
A few things add up to the price like Micron TLC probably being cheaper than Smasung's, but the main things are the DRAM cache and controller chip. The 2TB 970 EVO has 2GB LPDDR4 (twice as much as the 1TB model), and I believe the 2TB SX8200 Pro has 1GB DDR3 (same as the 1TB model). But that is not something one takes advantages of unless you are transferring several gigs on the background at the same time that you are playing.

You can see in the prices that the 2TB Adata more or less just costs twice the 1TB model, while the 2TB 970 EVO costs more than twice the price of the 1TB 970 EVO, since the 2TB Samsung is not just twice the storage it has other hardware changes that make it expensive.

Thanks for the explanation. So for a single task (ie playing a game) there is no real world performance difference between the two? And likewise that should hold true for next gen games?

Likewise with any windows background processes, since this would be the drive with Windows on it?

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the explanation. So for a single task (ie playing a game) there is no real world performance difference between the two? And likewise that should hold true for next gen games?

Likewise with any windows background processes, since this would be the drive with Windows on it?
Yeah the 970 EVO is only a bit faster than the SX8200 in terms of reading, its advantages comes to more prosumer uses. In the hypothetical scenario that games next gen took advantage of really fast SSDs, like say PCIe gen 4 nvmes, then both 970 EVO and SX8200 Pro would be still about the same.

Windows stuff on the background shouldn't be an issue, those processes are occurring in your RAM after they started, disk usage is minimum.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Simlpy put, StoreMI. A cheap $30 SSD plus a relatively inexpensive 4-6TB hard drive gives you an impressive amount of storage space that can be accessed at surprisingly fast speeds. If you have a separate SSD as a boot drive, even better!

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why I get all nervous on putting a build together. I think I've refined what I want and just waiting on to see if sales come along before making the purchases. Ugh I hate waiting.

Can I get any final opinions?

PC Build

So I'm going to stick with my 1080 for now. If I can score some discounts then I may pull for a 2070 Super for 1440p 144hz gaming. I have 3 SDDs already (500 gig each so I'm good on game storage). The CPU cooling I'm questioning if I'm picking the right one or not. Plus the additional fans of how many I need.

I'm still below my budget of $1200. So far so good.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why I get all nervous on putting a build together. I think I've refined what I want and just waiting on to see if sales come along before making the purchases. Ugh I hate waiting.

Can I get any final opinions?

PC Build

So I'm going to stick with my 1080 for now. If I can score some discounts then I may pull for a 2070 Super for 1440p 144hz gaming. I have 3 SDDs already (500 gig each so I'm good on game storage). The CPU cooling I'm questioning if I'm picking the right one or not. Plus the additional fans of how many I need.

I'm still below my budget of $1200. So far so good.

Don't spend 280 on a motherboard, thats insane. Find a motherboard around 140 or go intel.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

PcPartPicker Link

You're correct that it would have almost zero effect on gaming but I wouldn't be able to resist in your situation.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any suggestions for a new monitor for my son?

He's got an old hand me down monitor from me currently.

He is rolling with a 1660ti, doesn't mind 1080p but would like 1440p, something with a 120/144hz, and looking for something in the 20-24inch range that won't break his bank.

Hyaku Shiki

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Is there perhaps a list of all the promo's going on for free games with hardware purchases?

I know Nvidia has Modern Warfare and AMD has CPU and GPU free game choices + Game Pass. But are there any other promo's I've missed. Maybe for motherboard purchases etc?

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Fuuuck i ordered eveything for my first Pc build in years and everything arrived today except for the fucking case and Ram, why? Looks like i'll be waiting a couple more days too :(

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

ryzen 3600
rx 5700 xt
Asus x570 mobo
EVGA 600 watt PSU
NZXT H150 case

Ordered a new Logitech G602 for my arpg games too. Thanks for all the help all. Hopefully, I can contribute to this thread with all the knowledge I've picked up over the months.

This build right here should be threadmarked as the Sept-Dec 2019 shopping season "ultimate best value for performance build". Great job. You really did your research!!!

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
This build right here should be threadmarked as the Sept-Dec 2019 shopping season "ultimate best value for performance build". Great job. You really did your research!!!

Thank you for helping out in this thread! I'm excited. Using an 960 2gb card paired with an i3 for the past 4 years or so...well I'm hoping for a good performance boost and solid performance at 1440p. Thanks again!

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017

ryzen 3600
rx 5700 xt
Asus x570 mobo
EVGA 600 watt PSU
NZXT H150 case

What specific Mobo did you get? Link?

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm getting ready to make a new PC next month or in January (based on availability of cheap parts). How are people doing disk space these days? I know people are increasingly going SSD, but are people spending the top dollars for large SSDs? Or are most people opting for a small to medium size SSD (say 512GB) and a large mechanical/platter drive (2+TB)?

I have a lot of photos and videos of family going back more than a decade so I need a 4TB drive minimum. I'm thinking of getting a 1TB SSD and then a 8TB mechanical/platter drive to future proof myself since I build PCs every 6-8 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.