• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
lol so if I'm neither I should go 2070 Super?
If I said yes, then it would result in defensive posts from AMD fans. Go with whatever you prefer; either is fine.

Personally I like Nvidia's excellent plug n'play use and game driver support like catpurrcat mentioned. I've had virtually no problems with my EVGA cards for the last 13 years since I started buying them in 2006. I also have a G-sync monitor so I will continue to buy Nvidia. But if not already invested into either "team" (I hate that ideology btw), then you can buy either. The 5700 XT is the best value at around ~$400. The 2070 Super is better if you can spend $500.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Era, whats a reasonable price for a used 1070 ti and 1080?
It really depends on the make and model, any warranty left, whether it was used for mining or not.

A high-end used 1080 can run about $300. Cheaper ones of each kind can be found for 200-ish. So somewhere in that range. I would not go for one of the makes of less repute for $200. If you buy used you definitely want to get one that is good and reliable.

At that point you're also approaching the 'new' 1660 Ti pricing (at $260-320). I'd look into the newly launched 1660 Supers if I were you ($230-250). The 1660 Super is benchmarking in-between the 1660 and 1660 Ti in most games but it also has the newest GDDR6 memory. 1660 performance is a bit lower than the cards you mentioned. But you'd also be getting a brand new card that is less likely to have wear & tear or problems.

Last edited:

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Would anyone recommend a 5700xt over a 2070Super?

Personally, I went with the 5700xt. They have similar performance, but the 2070s is $100 more. I was also able to get the 5700xt at a discount. Something to keep in mind is that ray tracing while looking great will cut your performance in half on these cards. Gotta decide if that's worth it for you.

EDIT; Can't really speak on AMD drivers yet, but my experience with Nvidia cards has been great tho.

Last edited:

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
It really depends on the make and model, any warranty left, whether it was used for mining or not.

A high-end used 1080 can run about $300. Cheaper ones of each kind can be found for 200-ish. So somewhere in that range. I would not go for one of the makes of less repute for $200. At that point you're also approaching the 'new' 1660 Ti pricing. I'd look into the newly launched 1660 Supers if I were you. Their performance is a hair lower than the cards you mentioned.
I'm going from 1060 and looking for a 1440p60 gpu. Something between that is kind of my budget too. What would you suggest?

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I'm going from 1060 and looking for a 1440p60 gpu. Something between that is kind of my budget too. What would you suggest?
I'd buy either a good 1660 Super or a good used GTX 1080, something from EVGA or ASUS.

The EVGA hierarchy (mostly) goes: Black --> XC --> XC Ultra --> FTW3. So ideally you'd want one of those last two. They are higher binned, and can do better overclocks. Though you won't be able to do 60fps in every recent, poorly optimized game. But if you get a 1080 it should do fine in most.

cjavon

Nov 7, 2019
Hey guys i don't know where else to post this but stay very clear of a guy named Elric from the YouTube channel Tech of Tomorrow.
I'll keep it short since I'd write an essay if I detailed everything (and I'm on mobile) but I met the guy online and he agreed to send my disabled brother a high end computer from "built last year with last year parts" if I paid shipping so I gave the guy the $400 he asked for shipping and he sent a monitor and long story short he got upset at me because he was trying to send a first gen ryzen and I simply told him that's not what we agreed to. (He said intel i7)

He basically ignored me and says it doesn't matter he's sending that and I told him I wouldn't have sent the money if he had've told me I wasn't getting what I was under the impression I'd receive and if he could refund the money (He's been holding for over a month).

He says no then called me mentally challenged and we get into it. He's now refusing to send a computer that I gave him $400 for and is ignoring all my attempts to contact. I filed a PayPal dispute (he tried to make me pay friends and family but I didn't) and he sent the monitor shipment as proof so I'm sol and my brother doesn't have a computer.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
since yall were very helpful last time Im back but looking for something for my buddy. he needs an entirely fresh new build. he does have this for storage though https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1296&item_id=114574 he would like to use this for maybe the OS? and then some other storage for the secondary stuff. he has a budget of $1200 Canadian dollars and is running games at 1080p @60hz and would like to continue that. plays a lot of multiplayer games but also wants to start playing some new releases/future titles at high/ultra settings.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
since yall were very helpful last time Im back but looking for something for my buddy. he needs an entirely fresh new build. he does have this for storage though https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1296&item_id=114574 he would like to use this for maybe the OS? and then some other storage for the secondary stuff. he has a budget of $1200 Canadian dollars and is running games at 1080p @60hz and would like to continue that. plays a lot of multiplayer games but also wants to start playing some new releases/future titles at high/ultra settings.

Link doesn't seem to work for me.

Ah got it. That WD SSD is totally good as an OS drive.

MrPickles

Oct 25, 2017
So not so much a "gaming" question but thought I'd ask - I'm looking to upgrade my 23 inch monitor to a bigger 4k monitor. This wouldn't be for gaming though - just watching streaming stuff like Netflix, YouTube, etc. in 4K. My PC has a 660ti and an i5-3570k. Do I have the tech to just buy a monitor and be good or do I need other parts? Any recommendations? Looking at this Best Buy deal:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...-4k-uhd-monitor-black/5484022.p?skuId=5484022

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

I'd probably wait for next years refresh, tbh. You're looking at a 2070 Super for no compromises 1440p60. Much below that and you'll be teetering on the brink of 60 in a lot of titles.

Yeah, a 2070S is a lot more than a used 1070. Twice the price. But consider that you're only getting a 40% improvement over your 1060 whereas a 2070S is a 120% improvement (according to TechPowerUp). It's actually more economical as far as performance gain per dollar goes.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
That's RX 5700 and up territory, which means more than $350.
I'd buy either a good 1660 Super or a good used GTX 1080, something from EVGA or ASUS.

The EVGA hierarchy (mostly) goes: Black --> XC --> XC Ultra --> FTW3. So ideally you'd want one of those last two. They are higher binned, and can do better overclocks. Though you won't be able to do 60fps in every recent, poorly optimized game. But if you get a 1080 it should do fine in most.
I don't care much for Ultra settings as long as I don't end up in the Medium territory. One step down from max is perfectly fine for me.
I'd probably wait for next years refresh, tbh. You're looking at a 2070 Super for no compromises 1440p60. Much below that and you'll be teetering on the brink of 60 in a lot of titles.

Yeah, a 2070S is a lot more than a used 1070. Twice the price. But consider that you're only getting a 40% improvement over your 1060 whereas a 2070S is a 120% improvement (according to TechPowerUp). It's actually more economical as far as performance gain per dollar goes.
This was my initial plan. I was going to wait til April (for Cyberpunk 2077) but the urge to replay RDR2 is growing stronger. Something to tide me over til next gen so by that point both cpu and gpu gens will hopefully be refreshed for a new build.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
This was my initial plan. I was going to wait til April (for Cyberpunk 2077) but the urge to replay RDR2 is growing stronger. Something to tide me over til next gen so by that point both cpu and gpu gens will hopefully be refreshed for a new build.

Unfortunately a 1070 is going to have a rough time pulling 60fps at 1440p in RDR2. A 2070S will comfortably do it at mostly High/Ultra. 1070 is more appropriate for 1080p in RDR2. Unless you don't mind a lower frame rate or running at a power internal resolution to hit 60. Do you have a GSync monitor?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

Grain of salt and all that but some (as always) unconfirmed rumors suggesting we might not see a true NV refresh until late 2020 / early 2021. Just read some stuff this evening.

The bottom line of course is that we won't know until we know. If someone wants to game better now then I'd grab something and do it.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Unfortunately a 1070 is going to have a rough time pulling 60fps at 1440p in RDR2. A 2070S will comfortably do it at mostly High/Ultra. 1070 is more appropriate for 1080p in RDR2. Unless you don't mind a lower frame rate or running at a power internal resolution to hit 60. Do you have a GSync monitor?
No I don't have a Gsync monitor so I don't want to compromise on frame rate. I think rdr2 is a special case where having played it on PS4 the biggest tempation for me is 60fps. And im eyeing the 1070 Ti which should be just a tad slower than 1080? A higher cost for a new or more powerful gpu will be easier to digest once I start building for next gen, this is mainly why Im looking in the used market for now.

I checked Techspot RDR2 benchmark and 1660 Ti seems to be faster than 1070 Ti :/

Last edited:

Cicero

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering getting a gaming PC but not sure it's worth it considering my $1900 budget. I'm in Canada, so budget/prices referenced here are in Canadian dollars.

I'm looking at this monitor, which ends up being $520 after tax. That leaves me with $1400 for the PC. I'm considering the upper/mid-level draft build as a starting point. I'm thinking of foregoing the Seagate hard disk drive and just going with the SSD alone and getting a keyboard and mouse with that money instead. Is the Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 8 GB Card capable of 1440p 60fps gaming (or even 1080p 60fps)? It says there might be a compatibility issue, any idea what it's referring to? Finally, do you see anywhere I can save money on that built for the performance I'm looking for?

I've never built a PC or even owned one really so not entirely sure what I'm doing but I'm poking around to see what is possible given budget constraints.

modernist

Jan 13, 2018
the compatibility warning is because the 450 series of motherboards may not be updated for the 3000 series of CPUs with the latest BIOS software. You either need an older Ryzen chip to update it (you can ask AMD to send you one through a program if you don't own one), use a USB thumbdrive if the board supports BIOS flashing in that way, or depending on the retailer ask if it's already updated or if they could do it for you - newer units are more likely to already be updated to offer that support.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Black Friday pricing is live for the most popular 27" G-sync 1440p monitor (with the built-in G-sync module) again.

Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC Monitor - Black - $350

This is what I recommend purchasing to most anyone that is looking to get into adaptive sync VRR with an Nvidia GPU at a reasonable price.
If I get a gsync monitor, am I locked into getting a Nvidia cars? It doesn't do freesync right?

I saw a freesync version of this monitor for $20 less so I'm wondering which would be the better option

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent recommendation.

I have the freesync model (2719dgf) that was a bit cheaper than this and it works fine with my gsync card. Manufacturing date was Sept 2019, if a "newer" panel means anything.

Of course. Both are fine choices. Really similar performance. Full disclosure: 2070s owner.
Did you get your monitor from Amazon?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
My work PC got updated while I was out.

i7-9700K (AIO liquid cooling)
RTX 2080
32GB DDR4-2666

This is way more machine than I need for work, but I'm now envious of my work PC and need to update my home PC. I will say, this is an HP Omen Obelisk that our IT guy bought for $1600 delivered to our office. I mean, if you're not tech savvy, this pre-built will take care of like, 90% of the PC gaming populations needs with ZERO effort.

Oct 27, 2017
My work PC got updated while I was out.

i7-9700K (AIO liquid cooling)
RTX 2080
32GB DDR4-2666

This is way more machine than I need for work, but I'm now envious of my work PC and need to update my home PC. I will say, this is an HP Omen Obelisk that our IT guy bought for $1600 delivered to our office. I mean, if you're not tech savvy, this pre-built will take care of like, 90% of the PC gaming populations needs with ZERO effort.

So, eh, what do you do exactly?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
So not so much a "gaming" question but thought I'd ask - I'm looking to upgrade my 23 inch monitor to a bigger 4k monitor. This wouldn't be for gaming though - just watching streaming stuff like Netflix, YouTube, etc. in 4K. My PC has a 660ti and an i5-3570k. Do I have the tech to just buy a monitor and be good or do I need other parts? Any recommendations? Looking at this Best Buy deal:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...-4k-uhd-monitor-black/5484022.p?skuId=5484022
The general specs for the 660 ti say:
3 - 3840x2160 at 30Hz or 4096x2160 at 24Hz supported over HDMI. 4096x2160 (including 3840x2160) at 60Hz supported over Displayport. Support for 4k tiled MST displays requires 326.19 driver or later.
So as long as you have DisplayPort on your card (most 660 ti's have one), you should be good. Monitor includes DisplayPort and HDMI cables.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
So, eh, what do you do exactly?

I'm Director of Engineering at a structural firm. We use Inventor, CAD, FEA software, shit like that. So our machines do push the limits when we are running an analysis or drafting and detailing larger structures, but my machine is definitely overkill haha. The nice thing is that I'll probably be good on my PC for another 10 years (my PC hadn't been upgraded since I started here over 10 years ago).

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
If I get a gsync monitor, am I locked into getting a Nvidia cars? It doesn't do freesync right?

I saw a freesync version of this monitor for $20 less so I'm wondering which would be the better option
No monitor forces you to use a certain card. But you're right, you won't get Freesync functionality on this monitor.

I'd get one to match the type of VRR that your GPU uses. Also the Freesync monitors that are G-sync compatible MAY be an option. But they're not going to do G-sync as well as one of the monitors with a built-in G-sync module. You want the actual G-sync hardware if you're going Nvidia. But if I had an AMD card and I was looking into getting Freesync, I would probably try to buy one of those from the list that was G-sync compatible too because why not.

For the best gaming experience we recommend NVIDIA G-SYNC and G-SYNC ULTIMATE monitors: those with G-SYNC processors that have passed over 300 compatibility and quality tests, and feature a full refresh rate range from 1Hz to the display panel's max refresh rate, plus other advantages like variable overdrive, refresh rate overclocking, ultra low motion blur display modes, and industry-leading HDR with 1000 nits, full matrix backlight and DCI-P3 color.
nvidia-g-sync-monitor-stack-comparison-850px.png

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
No monitor forces you to use a certain card. But you're right, you won't get Freesync functionality on this monitor.

I'd get one to match the type of VRR that your GPU uses. Also the Freesync monitors that are G-sync compatible MAY be an option. But they're not going to do G-sync as well as one of the monitors with a built-in G-sync module. You want the actual G-sync hardware if you're going Nvidia. But if I had an AMD card and I was looking into getting Freesync, I would probably try to buy one of those from the list that was G-sync compatible too because why not.

nvidia-g-sync-monitor-stack-comparison-850px.png
Thanks, yeah since Gsync monitors are more expensive and a bit more limiting, I think I'll stick to looking for a freesync monitor for my next upgrade.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
I'm selling my PC, main specs are core i7 2700K and two GTX 980s in SLI. 16gb of Ram, a 128 GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. What other specs should be included? What's the best way to go about selling something like this? Craigs list? eBay? There is a local classified site in my area that's similar to Craigs List that seems a bit more reputable and I've sold little things on there but not sure about something like a desktop PC. Would pics help you guys determine anything like how much I should charge?

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Need to update the OP, but the new Threadrippers are confirmed to not be on the X399 chipset, so I'll be sticking with my 2950X for the foreseeable future, it seems. It was already questionable if I could justify a $1,000 new CPU as an upgrade, but seeing as how the 24-core part is $1,400 and would require a new motherboard, well, that's probably putting it up near a $1,700-$,1800 expense. Add taxes and it's closer to $2,000. Just not worth it for a 50% core count upgrade, even with the per-core performance improvements.

Not heart-broken about it; further upgrades were just a fun thought for me to speed up video rendering, but alas, I could barely justify the 2950X. Can't justify going that much higher on costs.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
What other specs should be included?
  • Windows version installed. Or if no OS installed, please specify that.
  • HDD speed (presumably 7200RPM)
  • And other things like RAM speed, PSU size, CPU cooler (if aftermarket) might be helpful. Depends on how knowledgeable buyers are, whether that means much to them.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm selling my PC, main specs are core i7 2700K and two GTX 980s in SLI. 16gb of Ram, a 128 GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. What other specs should be included? What's the best way to go about selling something like this? Craigs list? eBay? There is a local classified site in my area that's similar to Craigs List that seems a bit more reputable and I've sold little things on there but not sure about something like a desktop PC. Would pics help you guys determine anything like how much I should charge?
It'll be tougher to sell the whole machine than just some components. I sold my two 970's and a i7 5820K thru Craiglist. Your 980s will be the easiest sell, you can make it a deal if bough together. Like 20% off if someone buys them together.

If you want to sell the whole machine to a single buyer then it may just be someone interested in the GPUs. But there are people who buy stuff on Craiglist to resell it on Ebay. The people who bought my i7 5820K were an Ebay store that found me on Craiglist; so you can include the whole machine with some kind of deal if bought everything together so if buyers are only interested in the GPU and CPU because that's what they can resell easiest still see that they can make a profit after paying for your SSD, case, and whatnot.

You shouldn't include your HDD if you ever put important personal files in it, as those are not really erased from a HDD when reformatted, and only completely gone when with use, you overwrite them with something else

edit: Browsing /r/Hardwareswap is a good way to get an idea of what to sell them for.

Last edited:

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Need to update the OP
I noticed PCPP's added some new filters in the last few months. Things like GPU fan count, storage NVMe yes/no, case window type (acrylic/tg/etc.). And I think CPU Microarchitecture is new too (in addition to the existing Core Family filters)? Or maybe I never noticed it.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any thoughts on this SSD? It's an ADATA XPG SX8100 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 drive. I was mostly going to use it as a gaming storage drive since I already have a 1TB SSD for my system drive. I was waiting to see if there would be a Black Friday deal on the Intel 660p 2TB M.2 NVME drive, but I've also noticed the price of that drive has gone up like $25 in the last few weeks too.

So any thoughts on this drive? Should I still wait for Black Friday for other possible deals or should I jump on this before it expires?

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
  • Windows version installed. Or if no OS installed, please specify that.
  • HDD speed (presumably 7200RPM)
  • And other things like RAM speed, PSU size, CPU cooler (if aftermarket) might be helpful. Depends on how knowledgeable buyers are, whether that means much to them.
It'll be tougher to sell the whole machine than just some components. I sold my two 970's and a i7 5820K thru Craiglist. Your 980s will be the easiest sell, you can make it a deal if bough together. Like 20% off if someone buys them together.

If you want to sell the whole machine to a single buyer then it may just be someone interested in the GPUs. But there are people who buy stuff on Craiglist to resell it on Ebay. The people who bought my i7 5820K were an Ebay store that found me on Craiglist; so you can include the whole machine with some kind of deal if bought everything together so if buyers are only interested in the GPU and CPU because that's what they can resell easiest still see that they can make a profit after paying for your SSD, case, and whatnot.

You shouldn't include your HDD if you ever put important personal files in it, as those are not really erased from a HDD when reformatted, and only completely gone when with use, you overwrite them with something else

edit: Browsing /r/Hardwareswap is a good way to get an idea of what to sell them for.

Thanks very much!

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Does 5700 XT do raytracing? I'm tempted because I can get a new Ryzen plus XT for like 12-1300 prebuilt.

I'm doing 1080p gaming. I will be pretty casual but I want to ensure I'm set for next 5 years.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is there any tips on what to look out for when picking a motherboard? I'm looking for an X570 board that I'll be pairing with a Ryzen 3700x.

I'm looking at this one but I'm having a bit of a hard time telling where the sweet spot is in terms of price.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone have any thoughts on this SSD? It's an ADATA XPG SX8100 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 drive. I was mostly going to use it as a gaming storage drive since I already have a 1TB SSD for my system drive. I was waiting to see if there would be a Black Friday deal on the Intel 660p 2TB M.2 NVME drive, but I've also noticed the price of that drive has gone up like $25 in the last few weeks too.

So any thoughts on this drive? Should I still wait for Black Friday for other possible deals or should I jump on this before it expires?
I was looking at that deal earlier today. Very good deal on the 2 TB for $199. It'll be faster than the Intel 660p, the lower HPs, and other commonly recommend large-capacity NVMe drives. But if I was looking at buying a 1 TB then I'd get something else like the Inland Premium for $99.99. It should be faster.

Someone posted this on reddit:
In case anyone asks again *Was asked on the other thread.

I have both the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB and the ADATA XPG SX8100 1TB

Ran an AJA systems test.

SX8100: R=2383 MB/sec, W=2338 MB/sec......$89 *price i paid a week ago.

SX8200: R=2865 MB/sec, W=2538 MB/sec........$129 (13% faster, 32% more expensive.)
The Adata XPG has a faster model than this one with the SX8200 Pro. So you should be able to get faster speeds with another brand.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Is there any tips on what to look out for when picking a motherboard? I'm looking for an X570 board that I'll be pairing with a Ryzen 3700x.

I'm looking at this one but I'm having a bit of a hard time telling where the sweet spot is in terms of price.
I was just about to post this. The ASUS TUF Gaming X570 is at a good price now on Amazon at $164.99.

That's a good board for someone buying a 3700x like you. Comes with PCIe 4.0 and good VRMs for cooling. Things start getting much more expensive when you step up from this one.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
I'm looking to do my first upgrade. Here's a link to my computer.

I know my storage is small, but I just recently had an HDD die and I plan on getting a new SSD when I feel I need it. Otherwise, my research tells me that a new graphics card would be the best choice, but I thought I'd ask here in case someone was interested in helping.

Edit: the sole purpose for this machine is to play video games.

Last edited:

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I'm looking to do my first upgrade. Here's a link to my computer.

I know my storage is small, but I just recently had an HDD die and I plan on getting a new SSD when I feel I need it. Otherwise, my research tells me that a new graphics card would be the best choice, but I thought I'd ask here in case someone was interested in helping.

Assuming this is gonna be mostly gaming then, yes, video card would be best upgrade.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
FYI EVGA 2080 Xc2 ultra can be had for $609 after mail in rebate and with $30 off at checkout from new egg

Man my buddy paid $840 for this in-store at Microcenter in March. no lie. And that was actually the base XC Ultra. That's how overpriced the RTX cards were on launch.

I still don't even know if that 2080 is worth it at $640 rather than getting a high-end 2070 Super at $550-590.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I was looking at that deal earlier today. Very good deal on the 2 TB for $199. It'll be faster than the Intel 660p, the lower HPs, and other commonly recommend large-capacity NVMe drives. But if I was looking at buying a 1 TB then I'd get something else like the Inland Premium for $99.99. It should be faster.

Someone posted this on reddit:

The Adata XPG has a faster model than this one with the SX8200 Pro. So you should be able to get faster speeds with another brand.

From what I had heard before the Intel 660p would be fine for gaming usage so since this is a better drive, it sounds like it should be fine here too, especially if I was ready to buy the Intel. I definitely was looking for a 2TB drive though so it sounds like a pretty decent deal for a game storage drive, especially now that the Intel has gone up in price and even if it went on sale for BF, this would at least be a better drive in the end for not much more. Thanks for the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.