• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I was just about to post this. The ASUS TUF Gaming X570 is at a good price now on Amazon at $164.99.

That's a good board for someone buying a 3700x like you. Comes with PCIe 4.0 and good VRMs for cooling. Things start getting much more expensive when you step up from this one.

Thanks guys. Seems like a solid motherboard then. I'm not really willing to go any higher in price so just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something better at this price point, or worse, that it was overpriced or something.

Sounds like this is the one.

Last edited:

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks guys. Seems like a solid motherboard then. I'm not really willing to go any higher in price so just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something better at this price point, or worse, that it was overpriced or something.

That's the same motherboard I've settled on as well. The price make sense and everything with a Ryzen 3700.

Any noticeable deals on Newegg to be looking for on new builds?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Considering getting a gaming PC but not sure it's worth it considering my $1900 budget. I'm in Canada, so budget/prices referenced here are in Canadian dollars.

I'm looking at this monitor, which ends up being $520 after tax. That leaves me with $1400 for the PC. I'm considering the upper/mid-level draft build as a starting point. I'm thinking of foregoing the Seagate hard disk drive and just going with the SSD alone and getting a keyboard and mouse with that money instead. Is the Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 8 GB Card capable of 1440p 60fps gaming (or even 1080p 60fps)? It says there might be a compatibility issue, any idea what it's referring to? Finally, do you see anywhere I can save money on that built for the performance I'm looking for?

I've never built a PC or even owned one really so not entirely sure what I'm doing but I'm poking around to see what is possible given budget constraints.

The RX 5700 model is capable of 1440p60 gaming. 1080p would be a piece of cake for the card. The compatibility issue in that build is that you may need to update the motherboard BIOS before using that CPU. I'd look around for reviews of that motherboard and see if people had to update the bios before using a ryzen 3600 cpu first. If I were you, I'd just get a 3600. Saves money and not a big performance gap.

Does 5700 XT do raytracing? I'm tempted because I can get a new Ryzen plus XT for like 12-1300 prebuilt.

I'm doing 1080p gaming. I will be pretty casual but I want to ensure I'm set for next 5 years.

The 5700 series cards do not. It's important to note that raytracing will cut your performance in half if you choose to turn it on. If that's something you are super serious about, you might want to wait until the next line of cards. Or, get whatever card you want now and sell it in the future for another.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Considering getting a gaming PC but not sure it's worth it considering my $1900 budget. I'm in Canada, so budget/prices referenced here are in Canadian dollars.

I'm looking at this monitor, which ends up being $520 after tax. That leaves me with $1400 for the PC. I'm considering the upper/mid-level draft build as a starting point. I'm thinking of foregoing the Seagate hard disk drive and just going with the SSD alone and getting a keyboard and mouse with that money instead. Is the Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 8 GB Card capable of 1440p 60fps gaming (or even 1080p 60fps)? It says there might be a compatibility issue, any idea what it's referring to? Finally, do you see anywhere I can save money on that built for the performance I'm looking for?

I've never built a PC or even owned one really so not entirely sure what I'm doing but I'm poking around to see what is possible given budget constraints.

Hey from Toronto!
I will just preface this by saying some of the advice you might get or simply people telling you what works for them. And that's perfectly fine.

But I know the (outrageous) prices where we live and can give you a decent price to performance estimate. I'll focus on areas of the biggest impact.

Monitor: lots of choices. Whatever you buy, get a 144hz (or higher), 1440p, with a 3 year warranty and a place you can return it because of dead pixels or banding.

GPU: upgrade your choice from 5700 to 5700XT. Right now at canada computers the sapphire pulse 5700 XT is an outstanding price just above $500.

CPU: Ryzen 3600 is perfectly fine and cheaper than the 3600X. If you want to switch to intel instead of amd, the 9600K is on sale right now (i think), and then just get a compatible mobo. I run AMD but have no attachment to any brand, both are fine.

RAM: 16GB will do for gaming only, no need to go higher. There's a nice pair of Patriot ram at amazon running at 3733 mhz and 3600 mhz thatalso reliable is Corsair 3200. Check your mobo manufacturer for a list of ram confirmed to work. It doesn't mean ram not on the list won't work, but it's just added confirmation.

SSD: Assuming your mobo has an M2 NVME slot, consider the various choices at amazon for example, from XPG, Adata, Silicon Power, Sabrent Rocket, Crucial, WD, you can't go wrong. NVME are really fast drives, 1TB under $180 is a good value.

Case: I will show my bias here and say Fractal Design all the way. Define, Meshify, almost anything. Their included fans are also really quiet.

hope this helps!

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
The next nVidia card/s I expect like Q2, Q3 next year so I'm not sure I'd buy a 2080Ti in March. If you were buying a motherboard now I'd say an ASUS ROG Maximus for Intel. I don't really know their lines for AMD but any motherboard from the main manufacturers like ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc. will be fine.
What about this guy? https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119151

Maximus stuff seemed a bit pricey. I don't need WiFi either. This guy will do the i9 9900k?

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
The RX 5700 model is capable of 1440p60 gaming. 1080p would be a piece of cake for the card. The compatibility issue in that build is that you may need to update the motherboard BIOS before using that CPU. I'd look around for reviews of that motherboard and see if people had to update the bios before using a ryzen 3600 cpu first. If I were you, I'd just get a 3600. Saves money and not a big performance gap.

The 5700 series cards do not. It's important to note that raytracing will cut your performance in half if you choose to turn it on. If that's something you are super serious about, you might want to wait until the next line of cards. Or, get whatever card you want now and sell it in the future for another.
I'm getting a computer this year. I've waited for like 4 years. I want it

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I noticed PCPP's added some new filters in the last few months. Things like GPU fan count, storage NVMe yes/no, case window type (acrylic/tg/etc.). And I think CPU Microarchitecture is new too (in addition to the existing Core Family filters)? Or maybe I never noticed it.

I didn't notice! I'll go through and update everything with any relevant filters. Thanks!

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I'm finally looking into building a new PC. I currently own an Asus ROG SWIFT PG279Q (144hz 1440p gsync monitor), so I'm kind of limited to Nvidia GPUs as an upgrade path. Anyway, I'm thinking of going with a Ryzen 9 3900X build, and wanted to know if the 2070 Super would be a decent near-term investment for driving my 1440p monitor? I currently own a GTX 1080, but wanted increased performance while saving up money for the future 3080Ti.

Edit: To give some background, I'm kind of in a weird spot where my current PC is still more than capable of playing games. It's mainly that my Asrock z77 Extreme 4 motherboard has issues and I frequently either have CTDs or BlueScreens when playing games. My platform is massively outdated so buying good parts for it is just as, if not more, expensive than just wholesale building a new computer.

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I keep running over and over in my head should I upgrade from 16GB to 32GB RAM in my gaming PC, I'd then use the 16GB in my gaming PC and put it in my 'work' PC, which has 8GB RAM...

I can super afford it. RAM prices are literally the best they've ever been right now. I think the only thing actually holding me back is the laziness in not wanting to test RAM clock stability etc...

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
What about this guy? https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119151

Maximus stuff seemed a bit pricey. I don't need WiFi either. This guy will do the i9 9900k?

Yeah that'll be fine. If you're trying to keep costs down you don't need a 99 either - a 97 will work basically just as well for gaming.

I'm finally looking into building a new PC. I currently own an Asus ROG SWIFT PG279Q (144hz 1440p gsync monitor), so I'm kind of limited to Nvidia GPUs as an upgrade path. Anyway, I'm thinking of going with a Ryzen 9 3900X build, and wanted to know if the 2070 Super would be a decent near-term investment for driving my 1440p monitor? I currently own a GTX 1080, but wanted increased performance while saving up money for the future 3080Ti.

yes.

I keep running over and over in my head should I upgrade from 16GB to 32GB RAM in my gaming PC, I'd then use the 16GB in my gaming PC and put it in my 'work' PC, which has 8GB RAM...

I can super afford it. RAM prices are literally the best they've ever been right now. I think the only thing actually holding me back is the laziness in not wanting to test RAM clock stability etc...

what do you need 32GBs of RAM for in a gaming PC? Just not necessary.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017

It's the one. I've got the wi-fi version, and it's amazing. Not only is the board loaded with ports for damn near every component, the integrated network card is stupid fast for wi-fi. Regularly hitting download speeds of around 350-400Mb/s.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017

Edit: To give some background, I'm kind of in a weird spot where my current PC is still more than capable of playing games. It's mainly that my Asrock z77 Extreme 4 motherboard has issues and I frequently either have CTDs or BlueScreens when playing games. My platform is massively outdated so buying good parts for it is just as, if not more, expensive than just wholesale building a new computer.
Don't even think about upgrading that graphics card until you upgrade your CPU, RAM, and motherboard to something current. Your GPU is absolutely not a bottleneck of any kind.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
So not so much a "gaming" question but thought I'd ask - I'm looking to upgrade my 23 inch monitor to a bigger 4k monitor. This wouldn't be for gaming though - just watching streaming stuff like Netflix, YouTube, etc. in 4K. My PC has a 660ti and an i5-3570k. Do I have the tech to just buy a monitor and be good or do I need other parts? Any recommendations? Looking at this Best Buy deal:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...-4k-uhd-monitor-black/5484022.p?skuId=5484022

Do you have space for anything bigger? 28" for 4K is pretty small and you will want to use DPI scaling to get a readable text size. I would look between 32-43" for desktop 4K screens.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

Hell yes.

Athreous

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Guys, please! I really need your help with my gaming PC!

I'm trying to upgrade my PC but I'm in a very low budget right now... So I'm trying to save as much as possible and I'm not sure if this upgrade is indeed needed...

Right now this is my current PC specs:

i5 4690k (not OCed)
16gb DDR3 1666
Mobo MSI Z97 Gaming
GTX 1070

And this is what I'm trying to build:

i5 9400f (or i5 9600k, but I don't plan to overlock it)

16gb DDR4 2666

Mobo MSI H310

And I'm keeping my GTX 1070, because I don't want to upgrade my monitor right now (Asus 144hz)

Do you guys think that this would be a good upgrade? or should I invest a bit more to make the most of my money with a good setup?

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Really strange things going on with my x570 USB ports after the latest BIOS update. Reset it again, entered all my timings, and things seem to be working. The settings for everything are the same, but it's working now. 🤷‍♂️ IDK, all I care about is that it's good now, and the boot time appears to be crazy fast.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
So I have been out of the PC building game for a while.

I don't plan to get a new GPU just get, but I did want to invest in a new CPU. i7-9700k still a good, future proof route to go? Any recommedations as far as mobo and ram? (I will just be purchasing that for now).

PapaDev

Oct 26, 2017
Hey everyone - what's the currently recommended 4K HDR monitor ? Ideally with GSync / 144Hz. The bigger, the better.

I also plan to do a lot of coding, so anything more vertical than horizontal would be appreciated.

Thanks !

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone - what's the currently recommended 4K HDR monitor ? Ideally with GSync / 144Hz. The bigger, the better.

I also plan to do a lot of coding, so anything more vertical than horizontal would be appreciated.

Thanks !

LG C9 OLED?

Edit: Oh wait, didn't see you wanted vertical orientation....

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

I went with 32 GB in my build from a week ago. Im liking it. Lots of overhead for the future, and like you said. Its dirt cheap, theres not really any reason not to do it. I love opening the system menu and seeing 12 GB out of 32 used.

OTOH I was convinced my 9900KS was going to be a furnace. but a Noctua D15 (Black Chromax version) is keeping it super cool while gaming. I cannot find ANYTHING outside of hardcore stress testing that approaches the 100 degree temps people say they get.

Im starting to think those extreme CPU stress tests are useless for real life temps. Nothing you do is going to push the cpu to those temps. Not even blender is pushing me that far. The chip is nice and fine. Glad I didnt bother with an AIO.

MrPickles

Oct 25, 2017
The general specs for the 660 ti say:

So as long as you have DisplayPort on your card (most 660 ti's have one), you should be good. Monitor includes DisplayPort and HDMI cables.

Yep, it has DisplayPort. Thanks!

Do you have space for anything bigger? 28" for 4K is pretty small and you will want to use DPI scaling to get a readable text size. I would look between 32-43" for desktop 4K screens.

Probably, but bigger than 32 might be tough. Any recommendations?

Oct 29, 2017
Guys, please! I really need your help with my gaming PC!

I'm trying to upgrade my PC but I'm in a very low budget right now... So I'm trying to save as much as possible and I'm not sure if this upgrade is indeed needed...

Right now this is my current PC specs:

i5 4690k (not OCed)
16gb DDR3 1666
Mobo MSI Z97 Gaming
GTX 1070

And this is what I'm trying to build:

i5 9400f (or i5 9600k, but I don't plan to overlock it)

16gb DDR4 2666

Mobo MSI H310

And I'm keeping my GTX 1070, because I don't want to upgrade my monitor right now (Asus 144hz)

Do you guys think that this would be a good upgrade? or should I invest a bit more to make the most of my money with a good setup?
I think it depends on whether you actually get a good deal on that i5 9400f on top of it already being a budget option. There wouldn't be a big performance increase over the i5 4690K. Unless you already have a game that is giving you issues and you have seen benchmarks that show the 9400F will fare better, waiting for a more considerable upgrade would be my choice.
That said, if you end up going for the 9400f or the 9600K, I would recommend against H310 mobos because they are barebones feature wise. I would say at the very least get a B360. You still can't overclock, but at least you get a more complete board.

But it's hard to recommend i5s if the price is not right. A B450 motherboard (for instance, a B450 A Pro Max) and a Ryzen 5 3600 are a better pair than a 9600K and a B360, while a 9600K and a z370 are a tad more expensive.

edit: Since price difference is minimal be, I'll add that you want aim for 3200mzh RAM, but don't get ram with fancy RGB if you want to save extra bucks, basic looking sticks like the Corsair Vengeance LPX are more wallet friendly.

Last edited:

Athreous

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I think it depends on whether you actually get a good deal on that i5 9400f on top of it already being a budget option. There wouldn't be a big performance increase over the i5 4690K. Unless you already have a game that is giving you issues and you have seen benchmarks that show the 9400F will fare better, waiting for a more considerable upgrade would be my choice.
That said, if you end up going for the 9400f or the 9600K, I would recommend against H310 mobos because they are barebones feature wise. I would say at the very least get a B360. You still can't overclock, but at least you get a more complete board.

But it's hard to recommend i5s if the price is not right. A B450 motherboard (for instance, a B450 A Pro Max) and a Ryzen 5 3600 are a better pair than a 9600K and a B360, while a 9600K and a z370 are a tad more expensive.
tyvm for replying!

I'm trying to keep a 450$ budget for this new setup so I'm open to options to build a good setup that could last at least 2 or 3 years, but I don't know if that's possible with this budget =/
Resident Evil 2 Remake made me think about upgrading my current setup, since in some areas, playing in 1080p on very high settings costs me a lot of fps...

Oct 29, 2017
tyvm for replying!

I'm trying to keep a 450$ budget for this new setup so I'm open to options to build a good setup that could last at least 2 or 3 years, but I don't know if that's possible with this budget =/
Resident Evil 2 Remake made me think about upgrading my current setup, since in some areas, playing in 1080p on very high settings costs me a lot of fps...
For around $380 you could go Ryzen 5 3600 :https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rYR8WD
The 9600K system would be more on that $450 budget: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tgDn7T

Last edited:

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

I don't plan to get a new GPU just get, but I did want to invest in a new CPU. i7-9700k still a good, future proof route to go? Any recommedations as far as mobo and ram? (I will just be purchasing that for now).

Given that you don't plan on getting a new GPU now, I'm going to assume you are somewhat price sensitive, which is cool. But that leads me to suggest that you consider a Ryzen 3600 or 3700X, with a cheaper motherboard (X470, X570, or B450), and use those savings vs the 9700K purchase as extra funds for a better video card...which will yield you better returns than a CPU upgrade for gaming.

Like, $200 extra put into a better GPU will go way farther for gaming performance than $200 extra on a CPU.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Late Sept I was able to get it in my country for the equivalent of 10% off retail, so around $345 USD. So $310 sounds really good to me. That said, BF is only 3 weeks away, it may not hurt to wait.

Yeah I'm willing to wait just a little more. Just saw Amazon has it up for the same price now too. Really struggling on a case though. Mid ATX. Reviews are kind of all over the place. The one I really want is $200 but that just kills my budget.

Oct 29, 2017
That second build looks great, but are those memories good? I never heard of them =(
Do you think we'll have better prices at black friday? Should I wait for BF or just buy it now?
They are no Crucial or G Skill, but Team Group has been around for a while and I haven't head of any horror stories. G Skill also has its on very budget series, so price wouldn't be much different going for that brand instead: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Q47fjy

edit: except for the Team Group RAM, none of the items on the list are on sale, so I imagine you could save on at least something come Black Friday.
edit2: there is also a small deal on this other ram too. Always something on sale in newegg one day or another, CPU sales are rare however.

Last edited:

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Like, $200 extra put into a better GPU will go way farther for gaming performance than $200 extra on a CPU.
Yep. For that moment. At the same time, if you have a GPU that can carry over and last you another year or two then it might make more sense to put that extra money into a substantial CPU upgrade on a new system that will make your build last a couple years longer, with more cores and higher clockspeeds.

I've always bought an i5 or equivalent, but they also age much faster while other people were able to ride out their i7s for a couple more years. (though i9 is the new i7). CPUs have longer use lives than GPUs. You can use them for 6-7 years on new games but GPUs are replaced about twice as frequently. So yeah, I don't think a strong CPU investment is a poor choice either. High-end GPUs depreciate much more.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Given that you don't plan on getting a new GPU now, I'm going to assume you are somewhat price sensitive, which is cool. But that leads me to suggest that you consider a Ryzen 3600 or 3700X, with a cheaper motherboard (X470, X570, or B450), and use those savings vs the 9700K purchase as extra funds for a better video card...which will yield you better returns than a CPU upgrade for gaming.

I have a 1080ti and plan to keep gaming on my 1080p gsync monitor for a bit longer. I kind of prefer much higher FPS.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

I wouldn't call it future proof because it is 8c/8t. RDR2 is probably the only game out right now that will truly benefit from hyperthreading but next gen consoles will be 8c/16t with much lower clock speed than 9700K. So it will be a bit of a mystery if it can bruteforce through heavily multithreaded games in the future. Most likely it will be fine but at this point I recommend the Ryzen 3700X instead as at least here it's cheaper, offers more threads and performs almost as well for single thread and better for multithread tasks.

Tekniqs

Oct 26, 2017
hey guys, i put together a possible build here. Any suggestions on changes? perhaps to make it cheaper haha! I mostly game on my PC. edit photos/videos every now and then (mostly vacation related stuff).

possible build

wondering if i should jump to a 3600x or even a 3700x...

Dark-Cloudz

Oct 28, 2017
London
Looking at getting a new PC, mainly for video editing and rendering, but also for occasional gaming.

I've never built a PC before, but I am looking at this setup.

Any advice on this build? I will probably buy x4 RAM for 32GB. Any issues with the sticks I picked there? I checked the compatibility.

Anything obvious i'm missing?

Thanks so much to anyone who offers advice.

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at getting a new PC, mainly for video editing and rendering, but also for occasional gaming.

I've never built a PC before, but I am looking at this setup.

Any advice on this build? I will probably buy x4 RAM for 32GB. Any issues with the sticks I picked there? I checked the compatibility.

Anything obvious i'm missing?

Thanks so much to anyone who offers advice.

You are missing storage and possibly a good CPU cooler. Nothing wrong with stock cooler technically, but it will run louder and hotter. If you invest into a new PC, I would recommend to set 30-50 pounds for the cooler.

Get 2x16GB sticks. The price is the same as 4x8GB, and unless you want more than 3600mhz on them, it doesn't matter which configuration you have. The important thing is to have an option to upgrade for 64GB if you need to.

Dark-Cloudz

Oct 28, 2017
London
You are missing storage and possibly a good CPU cooler. Nothing wrong with stock cooler technically, but it will run louder and hotter. If you invest into a new PC, I would recommend to set 30-50 pounds for the cooler.

Get 2x16GB sticks. The price is the same as 4x8GB, and unless you want more than 3600mhz on them, it doesn't matter which configuration you have. The important thing is to have an option to upgrade for 64GB if you need to.

Oh, I should have mentioned, I have a 1TB NVME M.2 SSD from Crucial lying around - will it work with that mobo?

Thanks for the advice on RAM. Will Adobe Premiere take advantage of 32gb?

I will also consider an extra cooler. Will that be important for rendering?

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I should have mentioned, I have a 1TB NVME M.2 SSD from Crucial lying around - will it work with that mobo?

Thanks for the advice on RAM. Will Adobe Premiere take advantage of 32gb?

Depends on the project.
4k with multiple layers and graphics will definitely benefit from more RAM.
1080p camera footage with simple effects - probably doesn't matter.

The price of memory is low enough that the potential playback slowdowns are not worth it.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
This might be a bit of a shit question (but I think this is the right thread). If I plan to build a new pc around February, should I go for a 2080Super (assuming I have the money for it) or wait for the 3000 series?

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This might be a bit of a shit question (but I think this is the right thread). If I plan to build a new pc around February, should I go for a 2080Super (assuming I have the money for it) or wait for the 3000 series?

It's sounding like the 3000 series will be out by June based on rumours. I think it'll be worth waiting for, Ampere seems like it'll be a big jump.

I'm also doing a build in Feb-March, but I'm going to do the build with everything that isn't the GPU, and just use my 980 ti in it until I can grab a 3080.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
It's sounding like the 3000 series will be out by June based on rumours. I think it'll be worth waiting for, Ampere seems like it'll be a big jump.

I'm also doing a build in Feb-March, but I'm going to do the build with everything that isn't the GPU, and just use my 980 ti in it until I can grab a 3080.
I read some speculations online (from a couple of months ago) that put the release of the 3000 series at around September instead. Have there been new rumors?

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I read some speculations online (from a couple of months ago) that put the release of the 3000 series at around September instead. Have there been new rumors?

There are rumors that it would be a first half of 2020 thing but actually, looking up news stories this morning, it's looking like there's a breaking rumor going around from this morning that Ampere is delayed until late 2020 - early 2021, and 2080 ti Super is coming in first half 2020 instead as a stop gap, hmmm.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
There are rumors that it would be a first half of 2020 thing but actually, looking up news stories this morning, it's looking like there's a breaking rumor going around from this morning that Ampere is delayed until late 2020 - early 2021, and 2080 ti Super is coming in first half 2020 instead as a stop gap, hmmm.
I'm definitely not waiting that long though! Hopefully it will be clearer by the time I'm ready to build.

Status
Not open for further replies.