• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I've done a moderate, yet stable overclock with my 2070 Super that didn't require raising the power limit of the GPU. I get a little more FPS than I would with stock settings, and GPU temps have never hit more than 64 degrees with a custom fan curve active (though I'll note that I do have a case with good thermals).

In MSI Afterburner, all I did was increase 2 values: Core Clock to +110 and Memory Clock to +800. If I didn't mind more fan noise and extra heat, I could push this a bit further, but I'm happy with the results, noise, and temps.

Stock settings for the 2070 Super are boost clock at 1770 MHz and memory at 1750 MHz. Now I'm at 1880 MHz for boost and 1950 MHz for memory. Going higher without raising the power limit and/or messing with core voltage resulted in instability. Due to silicon lottery, your results will vary. Presuming your PC case isn't an oven, you could start with low settings, such +50 to Core Clock and +400 to Memory Clock, benchmark/test for stability, and go up in small increments/as far as you are comfortable with.

If you want to read more details on pushing a 2070 Super further, here's a useful guide.
Ooh, this is helpful. Thanks.

Zeth

Feb 8, 2018
I didn't realize how "compact" the Meshify C is. I guess my current Define case is closer to the Meshify S2 in size. So the D15 cooler will be a tight fit, but it'll look nice with the heatsink covers.

Was planning to go with an MSI Trio card, but it's not gonna fit with front fans installed. Is there a notabl difference in sound/thermals between 2 and 3 fan cards? Looking at EVGA/Asus/Gigabyte now.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Aztechnology , look in your BIOS for "fan smoothing" or words to that effect - the Ryzens yet super hot as they up voltage and frequency to max in a flash when doing light tasks, and then become cool again just as fast under light load. I have mine set to run the CPU fan off the CPU rolling average temperature for 10 seconds or something like that, completely stopped the annoying revving up/down it was doing by default.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Have an opportunity to pick up a 1TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD for about $125 US. Worth it, or should I wait for Black Friday sales?

macindc

Oct 27, 2017
Have an opportunity to pick up a 1TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD for about $125 US. Worth it, or should I wait for Black Friday sales?

I think the general rule right now is that if something goes on sale for a good price, get it. It's unlikely Black Friday will beat it this close. The ads for Best Buy and Newegg are already out so everyone's got a pretty good idea on what deals there will be.

Having said that if you're able to use an NVME M.2 drive there's plenty of deals out there right now for 1TB drives at roughly similar prices, for a much faster drive.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I think the general rule right now is that if something goes on sale for a good price, get it. It's unlikely Black Friday will beat it this close. The ads for Best Buy and Newegg are already out so everyone's got a pretty good idea on what deals there will be.

Having said that if you're able to use an NVME M.2 drive there's plenty of deals out there right now for 1TB drives at roughly similar prices, for a much faster drive.

Yeah I have an nvme drive right now for my main drive, but looking for extra storage and this seemed like a good deal. I'll probably pick it up, thanks!

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Hypothetically I can upgrade one thing on my computer. I currently have two 7200 RPM HDDs and a Radeon R9 290x.

For better performance, should I go with a new 2TB SSD or a new video card?

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Hypothetically I can upgrade one thing on my computer. I currently have two 7200 RPM HDDs and a Radeon R9 290x.

For better performance, should I go with a new 2TB SSD or a new video card?

290x is getting pretty dated so I'd say that, as much as I am an SSD lover.

You could upgrade your video card and get a small SSD (like, 128 - 256 GB small) just for Windows and programs. That would be a pretty big upgrade over only using HDDs, honestly.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Spend 50$ on a 120gb SATA SSD & buy a videocard.

290x is getting pretty dated so I'd say that, as much as I am an SSD lover.

You could upgrade your video card and get a small SSD (like, 128 - 256 GB small) just for Windows and programs. That would be a pretty big upgrade over only using HDDs, honestly.

Would I get good PC gaming performance out of small SSD just for the OS, though? Most of my Steam games would be on the HDD.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
OK

I have decided!

I want to upgrade my computer. I want top of the line stuff. I'm playing at 1080p (for now) but want to either be good for (most of) next console gen at 1080p or with a system where I maybe only need to up the graphics card.

I want to be able to play Half-Like: Alyx at max prettiness with an Index and I've got the money to burn.

My current rig:
Intel i5-4670k 3.4GHz
GTX1060 6GB
16GB RAM 1866MHz

It's not a bad system but I noticed playing RE2 and Jedi: Fallen Order that things weren't as smooth as I'd like at mostly high/max settings at 1080p. And I want VR to run better, or rather I want to be able to run my VR at better settings.

RAM amount seems ok and not had any issues with the speed or anything really, but think 32GB might be worth going for? As futureproofing? Though maybe unnecessary as I'd mainly just be gaming?

I'm ok with building a PC and looking at benchmarks and hunting for a deal and all that, but it's just all the choice and price:performance stuff. I want to be able to play Cyberpunk at max at 60fps (at 1080p) and be able to play beautiful VR smoothly with no need to lower quality. I want to play Half-Life: Alex on max and I don't want to have to worry about upgrading again soon.

This PC has put in some work. Still using a big ass, loud and ugly Antec 902 and not looking to change it but other than that most parts are like 6 years old and I only upgraded at that point because FFXIV kept crashing my desktop on my graphics card I had then so decided to upgrade and I only have a 1060 in there now because my 780 died when my PSU broke and the EVGA one I got was replaced 3 times and they all died too.

Oh, ideally it'd be cool if I could keep using my PSU, a Corsair TX650M. Would rather keep what I can so I don't need to change drives (though I could get a big HDD for media games and a big SSD for games I play a bunch/that load slowly.

Hit me up with recommendations and advice and all that good stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
OK

You have to replace CPU + Mobo + RAM all at once.

• 3700X + Tomahawk/Mortar + 2x8GB 3200mhz RAM
• Get NVME drive (500GB) as the main one, reuse storage from the previous build
• PSU, Case, Windows License can all stay, but if you want a new case, $60-80 for the decent one.

You are probably all good if you continue on playing 1080p with GTX 1060, but be ready to replace that in about a year.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to decide for the RTX 2080... should I get the traditional with fans or one with a hybrid water-cooler.

specifically like the MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk in terms of what I'm talking about.

heard that water cooler graphics cards are more prone to failure?

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to decide for the RTX 2080... should I get the traditional with fans or one with a hybrid water-cooler.

specifically like the MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk in terms of what I'm talking about.

heard that water cooler graphics cards are more prone to failure?
Get one with a warranty that allows you to remove the stock cooler + G12 and a compatible AIO.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
is the i7 6700k really not up yo snuff that ppl are wanting to upgrade to current cpu lineup from intel and amd?
i have a i7 6700k and the only thing i feel i need is to upgrade my gtx 980, as it cant perform max setting on 1440p for me. thank god for gsync tho, so with ppl saying i should just hold out until ampere or rdna2.

the i7 6700k being doing fine gaming and streaming too at 1080p. tho im not twitch affliated/partner, i cant go over the 6mb bitrate cap so 1080p in motion isnt that great. had to stream at 864p for better visual.
tho i do say the streaming quality is definitely better than my old i7 920/now xeon x5650 pc streaming at 864p. even with 6core the x5650 skips frame if i stream at 1080p, meanwhile i7 6700k doesnt.

Oct 27, 2017
Get one with a warranty that allows you to remove the stock cooler + G12 and a compatible AIO.

I am open to recommendations if you know of any. :)

Don't listen to this guy, last thing you want to do is install after-market GPU coolers or waterblocks.

Just buy the GPU with decent reviews, Turing cards run cool and they have limited OC, they don't need anything more than the 2-3 fan heatsink.
Contrast prices and reviews: pick the one which balances decent reviews and low price.

It is a waste of your money and time to modify GPU coolers.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
Don't listen to this guy, last thing you want to do is install after-market GPU coolers or waterblocks.

Just buy the GPU with decent reviews, Turing cards run cool and they have limited OC, they don't need anything more than the 2-3 fan heatsink.
Contrast prices and reviews: pick the one which balances decent reviews and low price.

It is a waste of your money and time to modify GPU coolers.

I don't really know anything about water coolers as my builds have always been old fashioned. Lol. But thank you as well.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'd posted about some problems with my PC before, with games constantly crashing and restarting my system, visual glitches and other stuff. Have had this PC since September and it'd been happening since day 1 - but only with XMP turned on.

The warranty/repair guys sent me some new RAM and after installing them the other day, everything's been totally fine. So that's nice. Isn't faulty RAM kind of uncommon? Memtest didn't even detect any errors.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really know anything about water coolers as my builds have always been old fashioned. Lol. But thank you as well.

That is one more reason to NOT disassemble your GPU and install different coolers.

Almost all 3-fan coolers will be quiet and more than enough to cool the GPU. You get a little variance, but it is almost always related to the price. Just look up which GPU models have discounts, and buy the one websites recommend.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
That is one more reason to NOT disassemble your GPU and install different coolers.

Almost all 3-fan coolers will be quiet and more than enough to cool the GPU. You get a little variance, but it is almost always related to the price. Just look up which GPU models have discounts, and buy the one websites recommend.

great! Thanks! I was wanting to get an RTX 2080 but wanted to know which one will be quieter yet perform very well.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017

There's "quiet" and there's silent. Depending on the case a "quiet" GPU can be very loud.

G12 will probably last for multiple GPU generations.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone school me on motherboards? Ive had the 3700x/tomahawk combo recommended to me, but im looking at microcenter's cpu/mboard bundles and they package the 3700x with the gigabyte x570 aorus ultra (for ~$530). I have no idea about the difference between motherboards and i suspect anything advertised as a "gaming" motherboard to be a scam (the rgb options on the motherboard already make me worried).

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone school me on motherboards? Ive had the 3700x/tomahawk combo recommended to me, but im looking at microcenter's cpu/mboard bundles and they package the 3700x with the gigabyte x570 aorus ultra (for ~$530). I have no idea about the difference between motherboards and i suspect anything advertised as a "gaming" motherboard to be a scam (the rgb options on the motherboard already make me worried).
Any X570 will do with 3700X even if you OC. B450 Tomahawk is perfectly fine as well. Get what's best for your wallet.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
So like the cheaper the better, since the function is pretty much the same? it's like a ~$150 dollar difference between the two so im just trying to figure out why

Also another ignorant question; do i get locked out of particular gpus from my motherboard choice (nvidia gpu vs. amd, etc.)?

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017

for microcenter, if you buy ANY CPU with a motherboard, you automatically get a $30 discount.

Also another ignorant question; do i get locked out of particular gpus from my motherboard choice (nvidia gpu vs. amd, etc.)?

No.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
I want to be able to play Half-Like: Alyx at max prettiness with an Index and I've got the money to burn.

If I had money to burn, I'd be considering the following:

CPU:
If you want Intel: Intel i9-9900K or i9-9900KS. 8 Cores/16 Threads. Looking at PC Part Picker, you're looking at a starting price of around $480 and up.

If you want AMD: Ryzen 9 3950X. 16 Cores/32 Threads. When in stock, costs $749.

You'll need to buy a cooler for either CPU. AMD officially recommends an AIO liquid cooler for the 3950X.

MB:
A Z390 motherboard if going Intel.
An X570 motherboard if going AMD.

You need to figure out what CPU you're getting first, as well as what features you want. For example: do you want to overclock/do it well? Do you need Wi-Fi? What about the form factor? Do aesthetics matter to you? Etc. MB prices vary, but first you need to identify what you want out of your motherboard.

RAM:
16GB or 32GB of DDR4-3600 CL16 RAM.
16GB should be fine for normal gaming. Since Half-Life: Alyx has a requirement of 12GB, 32GB might be worth considering as RAM prices have gone down and also if you plan to do more than game (game streaming, content creation, video editing, etc.). Can't say if 32GB of DDR4 RAM (or any PC tech) is future proof as there's always something better around the corner.

For top of the line/overclocking/better timings, you'll want a kit that features Samsung B-Die RAM. Micron E-Die is also good, but not as good as Samsung in that regard. You'll want to pick out a CPU and MB though, and see what RAM is on the vendor's QVL. You will see diminishing returns past DDR4-3600 (actually DDR4-3733) on Ryzen, though.

Currently, there are 16GB Micron E-Die-based RAM kits on Newegg for around $75.

GPU:
NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti

The best gaming GPU you can buy right now, outside of a Titan RTX, which is more than double the price and also intended for enterprise. 2080 Ti pricing starts at ~$1000.

VR is more demanding than normal gaming due to rendering. If you want the best for this, the RTX 2080 Ti is currently it.

SSD:
You're going to want a 1 or 2TB M.2 NVMe drive.

Samsung SSDs are the best in this category with their 970 Evo line, but you will pay Samsung tax for that quality. That being said, there are good 1TB M.2 SSDs can be had for ~$100-120 on sale, especially now during the holiday sales season. There was an Amazon lightning deal yesterday for one (~$80) that sold out in like 10-15 minutes.

PSU:
If you go with the high-end components listed above, your existing 650W PSU might not cut it if you plan on any overclocking. For that extra headroom, you'll want a high quality 750W PSU. Corsair has the HXi and HX Platinum series which start at ~$150. For a little less but still good, their RMx Gold series starts at ~$120. Given the components you intend to get, cheaping out on a PSU is generally not recommended.

Case:
This will vary on what form factor you want, aesthetics, tempered glass, RGB, etc. Buy whatever appeals to you, but be sure to seek out reviews for the case's thermal performance out of the box.

Last edited:

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
I've been out of the game for awhile, are the noctua D14/D15 coolers still the kings of air? Having to o/c my 6600k to keep up in games these days and it isn't taking well to the heat.

AIO's comparable for the price now?

Oct 27, 2017
I've been out of the game for awhile, are the noctua D14/D15 coolers still the kings of air? Having to o/c my 6600k to keep up in games these days and it isn't taking well to the heat.

AIO's comparable for the price now?

Don't buy AiO. There is nothing in the $80-90 price range that matches D15, and you are looking at $150+ coolers for a few degrees of difference.

There is Deepcool Assassin III which is pretty much a D15 level performance for the similar price. Still D15 is better due to the warranty and reputation.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
You have to replace CPU + Mobo + RAM all at once.

• 3700X + Tomahawk/Mortar + 2x8GB 3200mhz RAM
• Get NVME drive (500GB) as the main one, reuse storage from the previous build
• PSU, Case, Windows License can all stay, but if you want a new case, $60-80 for the decent one.

You are probably all good if you continue on playing 1080p with GTX 1060, but be ready to replace that in about a year.
If I had money to burn, I'd be considering the following:

CPU:
If you want Intel: Intel i9-9900K or i9-9900KS. 8 Cores/16 Threads. Looking at PC Part Picker, you're looking at a starting price of around $480 and up.

If you want AMD: Ryzen 9 3950X. 16 Cores/32 Threads. When in stock, costs $749.

You'll need to buy a cooler for either CPU. AMD officially recommends an AIO liquid cooler for the 3950X.

MB:
A Z390 motherboard if going Intel.
An X570 motherboard if going AMD.

You need to figure out what CPU you're getting first, as well as what features you want. For example: do you want to overclock/do it well? Do you need Wi-Fi? What about the form factor? Do aesthetics matter to you? Etc. MB prices vary, but first you need to identify what you want out of your motherboard.

RAM:
16GB or 32GB of DDR4-3600 CL16 RAM.
16GB should be fine for normal gaming. Since Half-Life: Alyx has a requirement of 12GB, 32GB might be worth considering as RAM prices have gone down and also if you plan to do more than game (game streaming, content creation, video editing, etc.). Can't say if 32GB of DDR4 RAM (or any PC tech) is future proof as there's always something better around the corner.

For top of the line/overclocking/better timings, you'll want a kit that features Samsung B-Die RAM. Micron E-Die is also good, but not as good as Samsung in that regard. You'll want to pick out a CPU and MB though, and see what RAM is on the vendor's QVL. You will see diminishing returns past DDR4-3600 (actually DDR4-3733) on Ryzen, though.

Currently, there are 16GB Micron E-Die-based RAM kits on Newegg for around $75.

GPU:
NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti

The best gaming GPU you can buy right now, outside of a Titan RTX, which is more than double the price and also intended for enterprise. 2080 Ti pricing starts at ~$1000.

VR is more demanding than normal gaming due to rendering. If you want the best for this, the RTX 2080 Ti is currently it.

SSD:
You're going to want a 1 or 2TB M.2 NVMe drive.

Samsung SSDs are the best in this category with their 970 Evo line, but you will pay Samsung tax for that quality. That being said, there are good 1TB M.2 SSDs can be had for ~$100-120 on sale, especially now during the holiday sales season. There was an Amazon lightning deal yesterday for one (~$80) that sold out in like 10-15 minutes.

PSU:
If you go with the high-end components listed above, your existing 650W PSU might not cut it if you plan on any overclocking. For that extra headroom, you'll want a high quality 750W PSU. Corsair has the HXi and HX Platinum series which start at ~$150. For a little less but still good, their RMx Gold series starts at ~$120. Given the components you intend to get, cheaping out on a PSU is generally not recommended.

Case:
This will vary on what form factor you want, aesthetics, tempered glass, RGB, etc. Buy whatever appeals to you, but be sure to seek out reviews for the case's thermal performance out of the box.

Thanks for this. Will look into it :D

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Who are the best people to go with to build a custom PC in the UK? My friend needs a new PC and is stubborn and doesn't want to build it, and I live too far away to help him. I looked at Overclockers but they use cheap/slow RAM/SSDs and in general, aren't very configurable.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Hey what do you guys think of this prebuilt spec-wise?

Intel i9-9900k at 3.6 gigahertz
16GB at 3000mhz
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080
3TB HDD
960GB SDD
3 USB 3.1 ports
2 USB 3.0 ports
3 DisplayPort outputs
Liquid cooled

I know its expensive, but I can get it less from an employee discount with a friend. Just want to know what yo guys think of the build itself. Is it good for VR with the Valve Index? Do you think it would have decent components? (motherboard, gpu, etc?)

Thanks

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
3700x and 2070 super build has been so stable that there hasn't been much to post about it. 😀 The defective VIOTEK GFT27DB monitor replacement has been perfectly fine, so glad I got that sorted with Amazon, and didn't have to wait for repairs or some crap. Really nice colors for a TN. I wouldn't mind seeing some decent speakers (on the cheaper side) go on sale Black Friday, but that's about it. Super cheap storage drive too, I guess.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
So my recent budget build is a 2600 paired with a Sapphire 580. Would it be worthwhile to get a 144hz 1080p monitor?
If so, I'm looking at pretty cheap ones that are Freesync and work with Gsync (in case I swap in the future). I ran across this one.

Acer XFA240 bmjdpr 24" Gaming G-SYNC Compatible Monitor 1920 x 1080, 144hz Refresh Rate, 1ms Response Time with Height, Pivot, Swivel & Tilt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZYHZ6R6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_oIg2Db8KPPX86

Any better recomendations?

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017

16GB at 3000mhz
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080
3TB HDD
960GB SDD
3 USB 3.1 ports
2 USB 3.0 ports
3 DisplayPort outputs
Liquid cooled

I know its expensive, but I can get it less from an employee discount with a friend. Just want to know what yo guys think of the build itself. Is it good for VR with the Valve Index? Do you think it would have decent components? (motherboard, gpu, etc?)

Thanks
I wouldn't pay $2400 on a pre-built that is going to skimp on important core components like motherboard and PSU. People ask this kind of question all the time around here and the answer is that the item is pretty much the opposite of what we stand for. You're getting lesser components at almost every level. I'd only recommend a prebuilt to someone doing a small budget build that doesn't want to mess with it. Otherwise you could do a premium pre-built service through Corsair, NZXT, or a local shop where you can customize your own parts.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

16GB at 3000mhz
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080
3TB HDD
960GB SDD
3 USB 3.1 ports
2 USB 3.0 ports
3 DisplayPort outputs
Liquid cooled

Thanks
Basically the gist is that, every single pre built that aren't from known premium brands that clearly list the components they use, will always have a catch here or there, mostly motherboard and PSU, which are two things you don't want to cheap out on at all.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Don't buy AiO. There is nothing in the $80-90 price range that matches D15, and you are looking at $150+ coolers for a few degrees of difference.

There is Deepcool Assassin III which is pretty much a D15 level performance for the similar price. Still D15 is better due to the warranty and reputation.

Love my $88 NZXT Kraken x62.

I'm sure that everyone whom bought their Corsair H115i RGB Platnium cooler for $105 on Prime Day loves their purchase as well. They are much more aesthetically pleasing and perform just as well as the best air coolers.

Thanks guys, will see what black friday pulls up now that's becoming more of a thing here in Aus.

If I do go the D15, I'll have to grab the D15s thanks to my RAM height by the looks of it. be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 seems to be the other contender for around the same money, looks better too.

H115i for that price would be nice, will just have to see what the sales bring.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Are people actually expecting Ampere in 2020? I'm due for a big upgrade and can wait a year if 7nm is around the corner.

Arcticfox

Oct 27, 2017
Just noticed all the news articles about the release of the Lian Li Lancool II case. I've been waiting for it since Computex. While I am sure the CPU cooling will be mediocre due to the restricted front panel, I am curious how well the side vent will work for GPU thermals. With features like hotswap drive bays, it should be interesting to use as a base for a mixed Workstation/Gaming build.

Guess I should finally get around to making a Ryzen build.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone pcpart pick me a build for playing Siege at 144hz, and fit a matx board/case? I want to keep an eye out for deals this next couple weeks. Tx.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Probably Scan

Even better if he lives up North!

Scan are much better than Overclockers it seems, better spec and better brands for the same price. For £1100 I put together a 9600k, EVGA 2060 Super OC, 16GB Corsair RAM, 550w Corsair PSU, 500GB Samsung Evo SSD, ASUS Prime mobo and a sexy case. And you get a 3y warranty. He's currently rocking a 2500k/GTX 970 so it'll be quite the upgrade, he doesn't even have an SSD atm.

Oct 25, 2017

16GB at 3000mhz
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080
3TB HDD
960GB SDD
3 USB 3.1 ports
2 USB 3.0 ports
3 DisplayPort outputs
Liquid cooled

Thanks

I'm gonna be that guy and say build it since you will have 100% control of what to place in it since these prebuilts tend to skimp on certain parts quality wise.

If you can't, wont or just unable to then try to find a place that allows you to choose the parts and build it for you (usually for an extra fee but it would be worth it)

You can use the "High end gaming" and "Money is no Object" Builds in the first post as a guide

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.