• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
After that my PC turned off 2 times when I was about to open Excel.

I took your advice and moved my PC to a better spot, more air flow, and activated Riva turner.
It's been 20 minutes since that, GPU 55° and CPU 68° and no sign of any problem

Thanks, I was really scared. I don't have the money to buy anything right now

Okay phew, hopefully it stays that way and it really was just a lack of air problem :)

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Okay phew, hopefully it stays that way and it really was just a lack of air problem :)

10 seconds after my reply the PC turned off again when I started a new quest.
giphy_s.gif

I will buy a new PSU. Hopefully, it will be enough

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
What's a good motherboard and CPU to accompany my GTX 1650S?

And what RAM should I get? Do I throw my old RAM (4x2) out or what? Isnt there some efficiency stuff with RAM I should be aware of or can I just stick 8x2 or two more 4x2 in there?

The motherboard I have wont fit a modern CPU from what I understand

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What's a good motherboard and CPU to accompany my GTX 1650S?

And what RAM should I get? Do I throw my old RAM (4x2) out or what? Isnt there some efficiency stuff with RAM I should be aware of or can I just stick 8x2 or two more 4x2 in there?

The motherboard I have wont fit a modern CPU from what I understand

What are you planning to do with your PC? Play games only? Or will you also stream, use Photoshop, etc? And what resolution do you plan to use? Also, do you have a budget in mind? As for RAM, you likely might need a new set. If your current build is pretty old, you might not have DDR4 RAM, which is what's being used nowadays.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
What are you planning to do with your PC? Play games only? Or will you also stream, use Photoshop, etc? And what resolution do you plan to use? Also, do you have a budget in mind? As for RAM, you likely might need a new set. If your current build is pretty old, you might not have DDR4 RAM, which is what's being used nowadays.
Games. 1080p, 60-144 FPS

Yes my budget is ...cheap as possible lol. Not looking for a next gen upgrade here, just a modest one to keep up with a game like Halo Infinite or Forza Horizon

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Games. 1080p, 60-144 FPS

Yes my budget is ...cheap as possible lol

Hmm, if your budget is low, maybe an AMD Ryzen 3600 or Intel 10400F. I don't know much about modern Intel motherboards, but for AMD, the MSI B450 Tomahawk is a solid pick at around $109. The pandemic has driven the prices of the 3600 up, though. They were around $199 last year but regularly went on sale for $170 and even went down as low as $155. Nowadays they're $200+.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, if your budget is low, maybe an AMD Ryzen 3600 or Intel 10400F. I don't know much about modern Intel motherboards, but for AMD, the MSI B450 Tomahawk is a solid pick at around $109. The pandemic has driven the prices of the 3600 up, though. They were around $199 last year but regularly went on sale for $170 and even went down as low as $155. Nowadays they're $200+.
thanks, too pricey for me atm so ill just wait for them to hit like $120 CAD

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, $120 CAD is about $98 USD. The 3600 has never dropped that low. If that's your budget, the Ryzen 3100 is about $100 USD and great for budget gaming, but those are going to be near impossible to find at that price nowadays.
I have i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Would it be a worthwhile upgrade?

Wait... this 3100? https://www.amazon.ca/AMD-Ryzen-310...yzen+3100&qid=1623903555&s=electronics&sr=1-1

It's $300 lol...Seems to be $160 at local stores so I guess thats a jacked up price too

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

Wait... this 3100? https://www.amazon.ca/AMD-Ryzen-310...yzen+3100&qid=1623903555&s=electronics&sr=1-1

It's $300 lol...Seems to be $160 at local stores so I guess thats a jacked up price too

If your price range is ~$120 then sadly the 3570K is probably still better than what you can get otherwise. The anandtech best $100 CPU is the 2 core Celeron G5905 which doesn't really hold up to the 3570K...

Ideally you would be aiming for the Intel 10400F (assuming you have a GPU) or the Ryzen 3100/3300X but pricing on everything is way above 120

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

You probably want to save up more, like $500 CAD or so for a full replacement with a 10/11th gen i5. At this market situation you aren't really getting much from a $100 CPU, plus all the expense from new motherboard and RAM as your old gear will not be useable.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($173.00 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO V2 62 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B560M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($177.10 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($107.50 @ Vuugo)
Total: $512.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-17 03:12 EDT-0400

(I know the 10400F comes with a cooler but that is basically e-waste.)

Nov 2, 2017
Why are the 10100f/10105f so expensive in the US/CA? I was going to recommend it until I saw the prices there.

Here in Europe they're priced like they should. I guess for some reason Europe isn't hit by shortages, atleast for Intel products as the 3100 does cost twice as much as it should cost. Like the 10105f is 85€ here and this includes 20% VAT so it's a good choice for someone on a budget.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
^ Thanks a bunch everyone. I'll continue waiting for prices to go down, and yeah wow, my current CPU which is super old seems to actually outperform some of the lower end recommendations here. Maybe RAM is my bigger issue here? What would help me increase framerate? Is it the GPU?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
^ Thanks a bunch everyone. I'll continue waiting for prices to go down, and yeah wow, my current CPU which is super old seems to actually outperform some of the lower end recommendations here. Maybe RAM is my bigger issue here? What would help me increase framerate? Is it the GPU?

It's most likely going to be the GPU. What games after you playing and at what settings?

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Since I'm in a decent spot in the EVGA 3070ti queue, I'm thinking about getting a new case since my Fractal Design Node 202 has been getting on my nerves. Thinking of getting a Cooler Master NR200 because I have the ITX parts still but want a more compact tower-style case. Does anyone have other case recommendations? I'm mostly looking for a small footprint since it'll be on my desk, good air flow, and enough clearance for a 3-slot card.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Since I'm in a decent spot in the EVGA 3070ti queue, I'm thinking about getting a new case since my Fractal Design Node 202 has been getting on my nerves. Thinking of getting a Cooler Master NR200 because I have the ITX parts still but want a more compact tower-style case. Does anyone have other case recommendations? I'm mostly looking for a small footprint since it'll be on my desk, good air flow, and enough clearance for a 3-slot card.

I can absolutely recommend the SSUPD Meshlicious. It ticks off all the boxes for everything in your criteria. There's been quite a few people with NR200 builds who transferred over to the Meshlicious.

www.newegg.com

meshlicious | Newegg.com

Search Newegg.com for meshlicious. Get fast shipping and top-rated customer service.

If you have any more SFFPC questions, join us in the OT:

www.resetera.com

Small Form Factor "Gaming" PC Thread (AKA HTPC) OT

What are the new 30xx series options available for Ncase M1 owners?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
haha okay. well i can achieve like decent graphics... Overwatch, Siege at 90-144 FPS at low settings.

But I was hoping to up the graphics too. In games like PUBG there is still a lot of stuttering which I attribute to RAM/CPU but i guess im wrong

Yeah, for the FPS you want at 1080p, a 1660 Super would be up to the task. With a 1650 Super, it would perform better with a target of 60fps.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm building my first AMD CPU based PC ever. I've done some research so I have a few reasons for going AMD but mainly the price range I'm looking at it seemed to be a better value for the price compared to Intel at least from what I've seen? I also just would like to have experience with AMD CPUs under my belt as I've never dealt with AMD anything before and they seem to be pretty competitive in the CPU space at the moment so now seemed like a good time to satiate my curiosity.

To give some far more than needed background: This will be only the second PC I've ever built with the last one being in 2012. I've done the stupid thing since then in that I've purchased a couple new PCs instead of upgrading my build. Around the time Windows 10 launched I purchased a gaming laptop that I paid far more than it was worth for it and I ended up really regretting it so I eventually sold it to a friend in late 2018. I had then planned to build the current PC I have but I found a prebuilt that was everything I wanted on sale so I was better off going with the prebuilt PC so I guess things balanced out somewhat but now I want more power.

Here's what I'm currently rocking:

http://powerspec.com/systems/archives/system_archive.phtml?selection=g316&submit.x=22&submit.y=10

Do I need to upgrade (especially to a new motherboard and everything)? No, definitely not but even after building my new PC I plan to keep this G316 as I have plans for it (I'm thinking of getting into streaming and a 2 PC setup sounds nice or maybe I'll get into some kind of NAT situation... haven't 100% decided yet). The only upgrades I've made to the G316 is adding (2)1TB NVME SSDs.

That said, the items that I plan to (at least for the time being) take from my G316 and place into my new PC are:

- RTX 2070 8GB
- (2)1TB NVME SSDs
- RAM (2)8GB DDR4-3000

The new parts I'm looking to acquire:
- Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case
- Gigabyte P GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard
- NZXT Kraken Z63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
- AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor

I eventually would like to upgrade the RAM, GPU and SSDs in the PC I'm building (then I can put those items back into my G316) but from the bit of research I did those are the items that still seem to be suffering the most from shortages? I'm sure everything is impacted but I was able to find the CPU online for MSRP and everything else I was able to find at or below MSRP (the motherboard in particular I was able to find online for notably below MSRP at my local Micro Center).

So while I'm not a total novice I definitely am not an expert so I'm sure there's stuff I haven't considered here. Any input on this build would very much be welcome. Also, I know the answer to "should I wait?" is often yes (more so now than ever really) but I feel like the stuff I would be pulling the trigger on now wouldn't necessarily be radically cheaper if there weren't shortages (though I could very well be wrong) so unless there's a consensus on things changing pretty radically between now and the end of the year I think I'd like to pull the trigger on this build sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
haha okay. well i can achieve like decent graphics... Overwatch, Siege at 90-144 FPS at low settings.

But I was hoping to up the graphics too. In games like PUBG there is still a lot of stuttering which I attribute to RAM/CPU but i guess im wrong

If your frame rate (lows as well) does not change when upping the graphics settings/resolution your issue is not your GPU. So check that out and then you can further use a tool to see how high your CPU load (at an individual per core level) and RAM usage is. If they either of those are above ~90-95% while your GPU load is not, then that's going to be the issue.

So I'm building my first AMD CPU based PC ever. I've done some research so I have a few reasons for going AMD but mainly the price range I'm looking at it seemed to be a better value for the price compared to Intel at least from what I've seen? I also just would like to have experience with AMD CPUs under my belt as I've never dealt with AMD anything before and they seem to be pretty competitive in the CPU space at the moment so now seemed like a good time to satiate my curiosity.

To give some far more than needed background: This will be only the second PC I've ever built with the last one being in 2012. I've done the stupid thing since then in that I've purchased a couple new PCs instead of upgrading my build. Around the time Windows 10 launched I purchased a gaming laptop that I paid far more than it was worth for it and I ended up really regretting it so I eventually sold it to a friend in late 2018. I had then planned to build the current PC I have but I found a prebuilt that was everything I wanted on sale so I was better off going with the prebuilt PC so I guess things balanced out somewhat but now I want more power.

http://powerspec.com/systems/archives/system_archive.phtml?selection=g316&submit.x=22&submit.y=10

Do I need to upgrade (especially to a new motherboard and everything)? No, definitely not but even after building my new PC I plan to keep this G316 as I have plans for it (I'm thinking of getting into streaming and a 2 PC setup sounds nice or maybe I'll get into some kind of NAT situation... haven't 100% decided yet). The only upgrades I've made to the G316 is adding (2)1TB NVME SSDs.

That said, the items that I plan to (at least for the time being) take from my G316 and place into my new PC are:

- RTX 2070 8GB
- (2)1TB NVME SSDs
- RAM (2)8GB DDR4-3000

I eventually would like to upgrade the RAM, GPU and SSDs in the PC I'm building (then I can put those items back into my G316) but from the bit of research I did those are the items that still seem to be suffering the most from shortages? I'm sure everything is impacted but I was able to find the CPU online for MSRP and everything else I was able to find at or below MSRP (the motherboard in particular I was able to find online for notably below MSRP at my local Micro Center).

So while I'm not a total novice I definitely am not an expert so I'm sure there's stuff I haven't considered here. Any input on this build would very much be welcome. Also, I know the answer to "should I wait?" is often yes (more so now than ever really) but I feel like the stuff I would be pulling the trigger on now wouldn't necessarily be radically cheaper if there weren't shortages (though I could very well be wrong) so unless there's a consensus on things changing pretty radically between now and the end of the year I think I'd like to pull the trigger on this build sooner rather than later.

Usually the recommendation is to upgrade when you actually need it and find your current performance level lacking. That said, unless you _really_ feel you will benefit from having a second PC I'd just upgrade the CPU to a i9-9900(K), perhaps even used for ~220€. Should be more than sufficient even if you stream and won't be notably slower than your chosen configuration in games.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone recommend me a good USB hub I can place under the desk? I have so many flight sim peripherals now that cable management sucks and USB slots are now at a premium (especially on an ITX build).

Thanks!

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017

- RTX 2070 8GB
- (2)1TB NVME SSDs
- RAM (2)8GB DDR4-3000

For what it's worth, if you have access to Micro Center you can probably get a 5800x easily or a 5900x after waiting a bit watching their stock. The 5800x would be a bit cheaper; it has better single-threaded performance but only 8 cores, so may be slower for very CPU heavy workloads. The 5900x is more expensive but is a straight upgrade across the board.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
For what it's worth, if you have access to Micro Center you can probably get a 5800x easily or a 5900x after waiting a bit watching their stock. The 5800x would be a bit cheaper; it has better single-threaded performance but only 8 cores, so may be slower for very CPU heavy workloads. The 5900x is more expensive but is a straight upgrade across the board.

I do some rendering work in Maya so I wonder if the 5800x would be best suited for that? It looks like I can reserve a 5800x at MicroCenter for $370 and my local Best Buy has them in stock now so maybe I can get them to price match?

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I do some rendering work in Maya so I wonder if the 5800x would be best suited for that? It looks like I can reserve a 5800x at MicroCenter for $370 and my local Best Buy has them in stock now so maybe I can get them to price match?
For what it's worth, these folks do indeed recommend a 5800x for Maya, but they also mention that it benefits from more cores. The 3900x does bench higher than the 5800x on synthetic multi-thread tests due to having 4 additional more cores (see Passmark's big list). That same benchmark pegs the 5900x as about 20% faster than the 3900x - you'd have to decide if it's worth waiting for stock to show and potentially spending an extra $130 for that performance boost.

In gaming contexts it looks like the 5800x is the winner over the 3900x by a fairly large margin if these benchmarks of a number of big games are to be believed. I imagine the 5900x would be pretty similar or maybe a bit better, though I don't think there's too many games out there yet that really want 12 cores?

Also for what it's worth, I bought a 5900x at my MicroCenter a few weeks back and they had a shelf with 20+ of them in stock. They don't have any right now, so clearly the chips still move fairly quickly, but I only had to watch their stock page for about a week to catch them in-stock, and I didn't have to camp out or anything. Your mileage may vary, of course.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017

How did I do for my first PC build ever?
Technically I'm not building it, ordered from NZXT. Very excited for it :D
Though, my wallet will be a bit sad.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Ooof. Thank you, though. I went with them because I'm nervous about building myself and don't really know anyone who can build or they're out of town, so I was okay with the extra assembly fee.

There are many other PC shops/builders in/around Germany that will build your PC and allow you to configure your PC too. Like Agando.de, CaseKing.de, and a slew of others. For roughly the same prize you could conceivably get a RTX 3070 and 8 cores, either by Intel (and likely for less money) or the Ryzen 5800X. Though you may want to compromise a bit on the motherboard and SSD and use somewhat more reasonably priced models. I'd also recommend not going for the maximum RAM, but rather check (use geizhals.de) whether buying and installing RAM yourself is more cost effective and ordering with a minimum amount of RAM.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
after building a completely new system (motherboard, CPU, RAM, GPU etc) how long till you can consider it stable (stock settings no overclock) and the hardware free of defects?...after 1 week of using the system normally (gaming, internet, other software)?...1 month?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
after building a completely new system (motherboard, CPU, RAM, GPU etc) how long till you can consider it stable (stock settings no overclock) and the hardware free of defects?...after 1 week of using the system normally (gaming, internet, other software)?...1 month?

Every component is going to be different, but I usually consider my build good to go after it's fully assembled and I've tested the RAM for errors (4 hours min.) and run a bunch of benchmarks and thermal tests. So maybe a couple of days at most?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What kind of testing software do you all use to test out your gaming rigs?

RAM testing: Karhu RAM Test (paid app but worth it)
CPU: Cinebench R23, Blender.
GPU: 3D Mark benchmarks (frequently on sale for $4.99), Unigine Heaven, Unigine Superposition

I'll run benchmarks for maybe 30 minutes and monitor temps, fan speeds, etc with HWinfo64 and MSI Afterburner. I would usually tweak fan speeds a couple of time and repeat the benchmarks.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Every component is going to be different, but I usually consider my build good to go after it's fully assembled and I've tested the RAM for errors (4 hours min.) and run a bunch of benchmarks and thermal tests. So maybe a couple of days at most?

what programs do you use to test for stability?...I don't like using anything too crazy where the temps go to insane levels like Furmark

Xamdou

Oct 25, 2017
RAM testing: Karhu RAM Test (paid app but worth it)
CPU: Cinebench R23, Blender.
GPU: 3D Mark benchmarks (frequently on sale for $4.99), Unigine Heaven, Unigine Superposition

I'll run benchmarks for maybe 30 minutes and monitor temps, fan speeds, etc with HWinfo64 and MSI Afterburner. I would usually tweak fan speeds a couple of time and repeat the benchmarks.

Awesome! Yeah I already bought that 3D Mark benchmark set off steam. I'll try out the other ones in a bit..

www.youtube.com

The Gundam Themed Gaming PC... you didn't know you wanted this until now!

Thank you to ASUS for sponsoring todays video! To learn more about the products used in this Gundam Themed PC head to -· US: https://www.asus.com/us/si...
This has got to be the coolest gaming rig ever created, simply wow!

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I posted a potential build a month ago, got some great suggestions, and ended up with this.

However, now that I have the funds together, the CPU has jumped up in price by $100 because it seems to be out of stock at most retailers. Should I just take the loss and order the parts right away before anything else can soar in price, or is there a good alternative for that CPU?

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed there has been an increase in retail price for the zotac 3070. It seems like the GPU was like ~$550 ish before and now its ~$810. Besides the chip shortage and miners, is there a reason for this?

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed there has been an increase in retail price for the zotac 3070. It seems like the GPU was like ~$550 ish before and now its ~$810. Besides the chip shortage and miners, is there a reason for this?
the Trump tariffs. Its the reason why a lot of cards got boosted prices (before taking retailer scalping into account)

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I posted a potential build a month ago, got some great suggestions, and ended up with this.

However, now that I have the funds together, the CPU has jumped up in price by $100 because it seems to be out of stock at most retailers. Should I just take the loss and order the parts right away before anything else can soar in price, or is there a good alternative for that CPU?

Depends strongly on pricing in your region. I would say the alternatives for you are the Ryzen 3600 or Intel 10400F but either way a motherboard shift is involved and I'm not sure what they are priced at compared to just taking the 11400F anyway.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017

If you are already at around 300USD for the CPU you might as well just get a Ryzen 5600X. However even if staying with Intel that particular mainboard in your build does appear rather pricey for what I believe to be the low end Gigabyte mainboard. For Intel I'd probably look at a B560 chipset and at a price point of around 130USD.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
If you are already at around 300USD for the CPU you might as well just get a Ryzen 5600X. However even if staying with Intel that particular mainboard in your build does appear rather pricey for what I believe to be the low end Gigabyte mainboard. For Intel I'd probably look at a B560 chipset and at a price point of around 130USD.

How does this AMD version of my build look? The mb is significantly cheaper than the one I had for the Intel build, so I hope it's okay.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

How did I do for my first PC build ever?
Technically I'm not building it, ordered from NZXT. Very excited for it :D
Though, my wallet will be a bit sad.

2000 dollars for a 3060 PCIE3 PC?

Fuck this world.

Also the X570 Taichi is super overpriced, the lower AsRock boards do everything the Taichi can do for less.
Hell I think if you get the B550 versions from AsRock youll actually be better off.
Considering you are using a PCIE3 SSD.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I found out why my computer is shutting down. The fan on the power supply stopped and it started to shut down every time it heated up. I performed cleaning and it worked again for a while but unfortunately it stopped again. I already ordered a new one, the expected delivery is Tuesday. From 430w 80 Plus to 650w 80 plus. Now I will have enough power to try to overclock the GPU.