• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I'd also recommend going for the 3600.
Follow the prices of the EVGA 2060 KO (and Ultra), I got one for 299 at Alternate (I assume you're from Germany).
Maybe replace the G.Skill Ripjaws with G.Skill Aegis 3200, they are a bit cheaper, but equally good.
Will do. The ram is like 1€ cheaper though so whatever lol. And added both, will see what the prices do. Any guess as to how 2060 prices will lower come April?

You can make some sacrifices in your build to compensate for the price, imo. You can go for a cheaper monitor (if you're willing to limit yourself to 60Hz) and a non modular psu (You'll have to do some extra cable management though)
I'm actually not so picky about price but I find that I'll pick out parts for a build and it will be like 750€ then I'll keep gradually making minor changes based on recommendations until it balloons a bit.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
Where do you plug your dongles in and what's your distance to them? 2.4GHz wireless devices usually work best at distances under 6f/2m, and when the dongle and device can "see" each other. Especially thick wood like desktop or any kind of metal like a computer case can be extremely detrimental to the signal. If interference is the problem you can try getting a usb hub and a long cord and moving it away from any wifi-equipped device that might be causing the interference. Other options include changing your router to use exclusively 5GHz band and trying if changing the wifi channel might help.

You wouldn't generally want a bluetooth mouse for anything but occasional use, bluetooth still has enough inherent lag in the protocol to be noticeable when mousing.

Thank you for the response... see that is what doesn't make sense to me though. Because where I sit is the same distance as my previous computer and these worked fine without a hitch. I am a couch gamer so I am literally sitting on the couch with my keyboard in my lap and my mouse next to me with no walls or big objects in the line of sight to my PC. The only thing that I could think of is dongle location like you said. I have a Louqe Ghost S1 so all my USB ports are on the back and in pretty close proximity. Also on the back is where my wifi connection is, and instead of the large shark fin I have a set of the small little antennas. While the 2.4GHz and 5GHz make sense that still doesn't seem like that would be my issue if thise keyboard and mouse worked for other devices without changing anything? Or not necessarily?

Really? Bluetooth still considered that bad? I wouldnt be using it for gaming, just typical everyday tasks and surfing the net and stuff. I am pretty much a 95% controller gamer, outside the few odd mouse and keyboard games.

maped

Mar 7, 2018
Thank you for the response... see that is what doesn't make sense to me though. Because where I sit is the same distance as my previous computer and these worked fine without a hitch. I am a couch lamer so I am literally sitting on the couch with my leopard in my lap and my mouse next to me with no walls or big objects in the line of sight to my PC. The only thing that I could think of is dongle location like you said. I have a Louqe Ghost S1 so all my USB ports are on the back and in pretty close proximity. Also on the back is where my wifi connection is, and instead of the large shark fin I have a set of the small little antennas. While the 2.4GHz and 5GHz make sense that still doesn't seem like that would be my issue if thise leopard and mouse worked for other devices without changing anything? Or not necessarily?

Really? Bluetooth still considered that bad? I wouldnt be using it for gaming, just typical everyday tasks and surfing the net and stuff. I am pretty much a 95% controller lamer, outside the few odd mouse and leopard games.

I'd maybe try a usb hub that would give the the dongles some distance from the other signals. Back of the computer is probably the noisiest place to have them, especially behind such a compact package as the Ghost. Line of sight to the pc doesn't do much if the pc itself is blocking the signal. Either way, getting the receivers some distance should help. Bluetooth mouse might help with the signal issues since it uses the uses your pc's wifi antennas and thus at least avoids that interference. Having used all kinds of 2.4GHz and bluetooth devices all the way from Logitech diNovo mini 10 years ago, all of them have had some kind of signal issues at one time or another. Absolutely the best wireless solution and htpc controller has been the Steam Controller.

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'd appreciate if anyone could take a look at the build I want to get to replace a dying CPU. I only really game at 1080p and aside from using Photoshop and Illustrator, nothing extra heavy is being done.

Parts I'm picking up:
• AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.2 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W
• ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
• Patriot Viper Steel 32GB (16GBx2) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)

Currently have and will keep:
• Sapphire Radeon NITRO R9 390 8GB GDDR5 (to be replaced later this year, hopefully)
• EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2, 80+ BRONZE 750W

Parts to be replaced:
• Intel Core i5-4690 Processor (6M Cache, 3.90 GHz
• MSI ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97 GAMING 5

If it weren't for issues I'm having with the CPU, I would've waited but such is hardware. Would love to know if new parts will be hold up for the next couple of years.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
I'd maybe try a usb hub that would give the the dongles some distance from the other signals. Back of the computer is probably the noisiest place to have them, especially behind such a compact package as the Ghost. Line of sight to the pc doesn't do much if the pc itself is blocking the signal. Either way, getting the receivers some distance should help. Bluetooth mouse might help with the signal issues since it uses the uses your pc's wifi antennas and thus at least avoids that interference. Having used all kinds of 2.4GHz and bluetooth devices all the way from Logitech diNovo mini 10 years ago, all of them have had some kind of signal issues at one time or another. Absolutely the best wireless solution and htpc controller has been the Steam Controller.
I have a little cheapy one thats not crazy long but it will pull my dongles away from the pc at least. Can do that to see if its the problem. IF that IS the problem that also sucks as I dont want to have lose attachments hanging off, whole point I went SFF with the ghost but I will worry about that at that time. Ive never really had issues ever with dongles or blue tooth ever until this build... this is also my first pc I actually built myself... so wasnt sure if there was something wrong that I did, either software or hardware wise. All I know is I gotta figure it out and fix it, cause having a high end pc with a laggy mouse is no good.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Hardware Unboxed: Can we still recommend AMD?
Gamers Nexus: RX 5700 XT Review: Thermals, Noise, Gaming, and Broken Drivers
Extremetech article
Hothardware article
wccftech article
PCGamesN article

Could it be amplified? Sure. But when GN talks about the lack of response and action from AMD I pay attention. It could be fixed or at least partially fixed now, but the onus is on AMD to show they've steadied the ship.

GN also gave the 5700 XT the award for best overall GPU in 2019. I believe some of the others you mentioned did as well. Obviously can't be that bad if they turn around and give it awards lol. Maybe I've just been lucky though with my hardware. idk.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
I'd appreciate if anyone could take a look at the build I want to get to replace a dying CPU. I only really game at 1080p and aside from using Photoshop and Illustrator, nothing extra heavy is being done.

Parts I'm picking up:

• Sapphire Radeon NITRO R9 390 8GB GDDR5 (to be replaced later this year, hopefully)

Parts to be replaced:

If it weren't for issues I'm having with the CPU, I would've waited but such is hardware. Would love to know if new parts will be hold up for the next couple of years.
Look into the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max mobo (the Max version specifically), it works with ryzen 3000 CPUs out of the box and it has better vrms which will come in handy should you ever upgrade to the 8 core 3700x/3800x or 12 3900x core cpu. That and it may be cheaper than the asus board depending on your area.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

Parts I'm picking up:

Parts to be replaced:

I recently switched from the 4670 to the Ryzen 3600, and it's very clearly faster, although general boot and Windows responsiveness also helps a bit that I moved from a 2014 SSD to a Gen3 NVMe SSD. Boot time to fully responsive desktop is around ~10s and game framerate has improved on my GTX 970 (still want ampere though...) Of course 8 core CPUs like the 3700X will become more popular but the 3600 is still a solid choice, and it's not like games will show huge perf increase from 6-8 cores

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Crazymoogle After the Ps5 and XSX reveals this week, I expect we'll be getting a ton of "I want to build an equivalent PC now" type of question. Do you think it would be worthwhile to put something specs wise in the OP that speaks to this? Maybe we can use a range of sorts that covers a range of budgets, kind of like, PS5 (min) to XSX

CPU: from minimum to likely, 3600–3600X—3700X—3800X

GPU: 5700XT—2070S—2080—2080S

HDD: NVME 1TB at ?speed?

RAM: Nothing really matches speed wise on PC with DDR4 vs DDR6 on consoles but say 16GB

What do you think? Worthwhile?

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Absolutely worth a try, I haven't seen a detailed piece that compares to RTX yet, but I can at least address a few things based strictly on what I've seen in the MS and Sony coverage this month:

GPU
Well, we know the RX 5700 XT has 40 CUs, but it's RDNA 1. So?? Not sure here. I haven't read about an RTX equivalent yet either. Pure TF is a trap as described in Cerny's talk. And the PS5 is definitely clocked higher than the XT. So...maybe somebody has a link to a piece with some comparisons?

If anything I think the concern here is that without RDNA2 or RTX 3000, if you buy a card now you kind of need the perf to be substantially better to comp for any gains or features that might be exclusive to next gen AMD/NVidia cards that haven't launched yet...

CPU
The XSX at first glance sounds like a 3800X, but cores are reserved and there's no boost clock. So the 3700X is probably the best comparison for both as it's 3.6GHz (4.4 Boost) 8 core. The reality is the 3600 is probably also equivalent because the 7th core is not going to make a tremendous difference. But to be safe, 3700X?

RAM
All consoles reserve RAM for the OS and stuff. Just buy 16GB. If you're on AMD that means go for DDR4 3200 and that's it. Actually, historically games use even MORE RAM on PC for whatever reason. VR, etc. So 16GB is a solid number but nothing wrong with 32...

NVME
XSX: I'm not Dark1x but it sounds to me like QLC or TLC NVMe Gen3x4. The transfer rate seems lower than good TLC 3x4 drives (2.4GB/s vs say, addlink S70 which hits 3.4GB/s) , and if the expansion card is really that small maybe it is QLC? So all I'm saying here is any good 3x4 NVMe with DRAM cache is a good equivalent. I mean maybe it's TLC but with fewer NAND chips?

PS5: Phison E16 in all current Gen4 drives is both too hot and caps at 5GB/s (compared to 5.5 on PS5). So this means we have to wait for the Phison E18, E19, and Samsung 980 series, all of which are due in summer. They all promise better cooling, although PS5 may put market pressure on having thinner heatsinks. So tl;dr even the expensive AORUS 1TB is not fast enough. That's why Cerny said to wait.

The other thing worth nnoting is that Cerny said the PS5 drive is 12 channel. Even the Phison E18 is 8 channel so I would guess that although those products will exceed PS5 in transfer speed (I think I heard 6.5 or 7 was possible?) the extra channels will probably make it more or less equivalent.

Other
Well, if you want the full XSX experiennce you need to buy the NZXT H1 case. 😆

GeezyAF

Oct 28, 2017
Want to see more <20L builds on here. Really like the SG13 over there, NeoChaos. And the A4, dallow_bg.

Here's a quick summary of my Ghost S1 build. Had recently transplanted it from an SG13. Also have an ncase M1 v6.1 as well, might build in that later.

Louqe Ghost S1 - Ash w/ missing top hat.
Asrock Z390 ITX
Intel 8700k @ 4.7 all core with -0.1mv offset
EVGA RTX 2070 @ 1890 undervolted to 900mv
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600@CL16
Samsung 950 PRO NVME 256gb
Inland Gold Professional NVME 1TB
Corsair SF750 Platinum
NZXT Kraken X52 - Exhaust Push
Noctua A12x15 - Exhaust

Oct 29, 2017
It appears that Fractal Design getting back into the ITX game as well
www.fractal-design.com

Era ITX

Era is a unique and elegantly understated feat of both design and technical engineering—a compact chassis free from the excessive restrictions traditionally associated with small form factor systems.
www.youtube.com

Finally Something DIFFERENT - Fractal ERA ITX Case Review

The Fractal Era is something we've been waiting for: an ITX case that literally thinks outside the box by adding cool features. But is different better or do...

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It appears that Fractal Design getting back into the ITX game as well
www.fractal-design.com

Era ITX

Era is a unique and elegantly understated feat of both design and technical engineering—a compact chassis free from the excessive restrictions traditionally associated with small form factor systems.
www.youtube.com

Finally Something DIFFERENT - Fractal ERA ITX Case Review

The Fractal Era is something we've been waiting for: an ITX case that literally thinks outside the box by adding cool features. But is different better or do...

Daaaaaaaaaang. That looks sweet

traveler

Oct 26, 2017
Increasingly getting the sense that now is just an awful time to upgrade. Been waffling back and forth over the choice to do so or not this whole week and now leaning towards no, between all the supply chain issues due to covid, the delayed but imminent new gpus and cpus, and console spec announcements showing them to be, as I understand it, near or above current midrange builds for way less money presumably.

The only issue is I don't really care about the console exclusives. And I do care about HL ALyx, which I own with an Index preorder from last week. Is my best course of action really just to sit and look at it in my steam inventory for a year while avoiding spoilers until we get the new parts and see how they affect prices by this time next year? :(

My post from earlier for reference. I'm fairly confident my build as is will not be worth playing the game on.

Also looking to potentially upgrade for Alyx ^

Current rig is a 970 gtx, intel i5-4690k @3.50 ghz 4 core cpu, 8 gb of ram build from a while back. I have a gen 1 vive I won't be replacing for now, but did get the index controllers to pair with it for Alyx at least.

I understand my gpu is kind of borderline/not in huge need of upgrade outside of Alyx but looks like it'll be a little weak for Alyx itself? There's also the matter of the 3000 series arriving sometime soon-ish, so I'm considering seeing how much I can get out of a new build using my existing gpu, ssd, and power supply, but replacing the rest of the components in a new case and then getting whatever nvidias new card when it hits. Not certain how corona has impacted its arrival time, though, or the pricing of other computer components for the time being.

Is this a reasonable idea? Is building now even advisable due to c virus shortages/is building now BETTER because the shortages haven't hit yet?

What would be a good upper end build to target to use with my old gpu if I did take this approach. I can afford to go fairly top of the line. I am worried about how much sense it makes to replace the cpu too, though, given the advice in the op.

Thanks!

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
My PC picked a great time to die. Machine Check Exception BSODs when trying to boot into anything that isn't the BIOS. Pulled all peripherals and tried a different PSU/RAM. Still fails to boot even into a windows install USB drive which works on another PC.

Any ideas? Or should I be shopping for a replacement CPU/Mobo?

From what I heard, temperatures are not that great. Design is original from FD, but I have X360 vibes lol.

I can't unsee this now...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
CPU
The XSX at first glance sounds like a 3800X, but cores are reserved and there's no boost clock. So the 3700X is probably the best comparison for both as it's 3.6GHz (4.4 Boost) 8 core. The reality is the 3600 is probably also equivalent because the 7th core is not going to make a tremendous difference. But to be safe, 3700X?
Maybe even a 3600 will be enough, at least the Xbox Series X is only using 7 Cores / 14 Threads for gaming and the 3600 will boost higher. But the 3700x is probably a safe bet.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
So Im looking to upgrade my PC now that I have a 144 HZ monitor.

Im looking at RX 570 or 580... Interested in games like Forza Horizon, and mostly MP games like Overwatch, Warzone, Siege...

Id ideally like to play at the highest FPS, but would settle for 90 FPS or 120 FPS.

...I'm not sure how RAM works though.

I see running Warzone @ Medium settings uses "11 GB RAM" + 7 GB VRAM : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDgBEsB8vdM

My current computer has 8 GB RAM installed. I see RX 570 has 8 GB RAM....so do these two combine to give me 16 GB RAM? Which still wouldnt be enough Im guessing to run Warzone on Medium.

Can I...er buy RAM? I dont want to overspend. Would I be able to buy like 4-8GB to upgrade my RAM to 16 GB?

Note: My processor is an i3570K @3.40 GHZ

Nov 21, 2017
My current computer has 8 GB RAM installed. I see RX 570 has 8 GB RAM....so do these two combine to give me 16 GB RAM? Which still wouldnt be enough Im guessing to run Warzone on Medium.

Can I...er buy RAM? I dont want to overspend. Would I be able to buy like 4-8GB to upgrade my RAM to 16 GB?

Yes you can buy RAM, but two questions first:

You say you have 8GB of RAM installed, do you have 1 8GB stick or 2 4GB sticks?

Do you have any RAM slots left?

Depending on your answers, your possible options are:

1) Buy 1 8GB stick and add it to what you have
2) Buy 2 4GB sticks and add them to what you have
3) Buy 2 8GB sticks and replace what you have
4) Buy 4 4GB sticks and replace what you have.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Yes you can buy RAM, but two questions first:

You say you have 8GB of RAM installed, do you have 1 8GB stick or 2 4GB sticks?

Do you have any RAM slots left?

Depending on your answers, your possible options are:

1) Buy 1 8GB stick and add it to what you have
2) Buy 2 4GB sticks and add them to what you have
3) Buy 2 8GB sticks and replace what you have
4) Buy 4 4GB sticks and replace what you have.
Im not sure. Last I opened my tower, I'm Pretty sure I have more slots and only 1 is used.

So to clarify, if i get the rx 570, it's super necessary to also buy more ram? What can I expect out of RX with just the installed 8GB?

Edit: Hm 8 GB is only like $50, that's not bad. Is there a certain model I should be getting? Is it better to get 4/4 or just one 8 GB stick?

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Im not sure. Last I opened my tower, I'm Pretty sure I have more slots and only 1 is used.

So to clarify, if i get the rx 570, it's super necessary to also buy more ram? What can I expect out of RX with just the installed 8GB?

Edit: Hm 8 GB is only like $50, that's not bad. Is there a certain model I should be getting? Is it better to get 4/4 or just one 8 GB stick?

No, it is not super necessairy to get more RAM. There's a chance you will see some hiccups in games if you don't have enough. With your i5-3570 you will need to buy DDR3 and not DDR4. For maximum performance you would prefer to always have two (or a multiple of two) sticks of the same memory installed. So depending on what you have now, the answer would differ on what you should get.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
So Im looking to upgrade my PC now that I have a 144 HZ monitor.

Im looking at RX 570 or 580... Interested in games like Forza Horizon, and mostly MP games like Overwatch, Warzone, Siege...
Id ideally like to play at the highest FPS, but would settle for 90 FPS or 120 FPS.
...I'm not sure how RAM works though.

I see running Warzone @ Medium settings uses "11 GB RAM" + 7 GB VRAM : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDgBEsB8vdM

Note: My processor is an i3570K @3.40 GHZ

On PCs, there are two different pools of RAM that are relevant here:
  • On the Motherboard: The "RAM" your motherboard and Windows sees. Like Orimarc says, your motherboard should have 2-4 slots to insert slim rectangular sticks of RAM into. Ideally you should always have 2 or 4 sticks, because most sticks are "dual channel" meaning they have two data highways to the rest of the PC. If you only have one stick, one highway is wasted. Most PCs today should have 16GB of RAM to handle games and Windows the best. The basic idea is that your computer should never use all of the RAM at once.

Normal PCs today use "DDR4" memory, but yours uses DDR3, so be careful when shopping. Anyway, the general rule of thumb is you want "8/8" for 16GB.

• On the Video Card: Video cards have their own RAM. It's not upgradeable. You want as much as you can get within your budget, but the general rule is that better video cards have more RAM. Don't use RAM as a guide though; you'll never find a great video card with not enough memory, but you can find weaker video cards with more than enough. Video Card (GPU) RAM stores the fps you see on screen, textures, etc.

• The RAM counts do not add together. They are separate pools for separate tasks.
In your case with a relatively dated PC (3570K: 3.4GHz/4core) I'm not sure you can hit 90-120 FPS except in performance streamlined games like R6 and Overwatch, but the RX580 is actually an excellent choice for that system since it shouldn't bottleneck much (quick google suggests maybe 5-8%). But hitting 144 doesn't really matter that much so long as your monitor is freesync compatible...

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe even a 3600 will be enough, at least the Xbox Series X is only using 7 Cores / 14 Threads for gaming and the 3600 will boost higher. But the 3700x is probably a safe bet.

Totally agree. Reading more on this topic it's looking like the 3600 is a crazy good value now and will do just fine for the next 4 years paired with anything 5700XT and above with an NVME gaming drive.

3700x seems right on the money if not a little over (which is a good thing).

5700XT with 40 CU also looking like it will hold up well, especially for 1440p gamers.

Series X is a beast but with PS5 clocking in a little lower, baseline dev could ideally drop too...or simply scale better.

Guessing that with console tools that 4K gaming will still favour the console over PC thanks to checkerboarding and other console specific wizardry.

So it all turned out as the pragmatic folks in this thread predicted.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Hey guys I'm building a new PC, got the parts and put it together and it won't boot.

The motherboard has LEDs on it, and it lights up when there's power, but it won't turn on.

I've tried, leaving in one stick of RAM, removed the CMOS for 15 mins, and unplugged and replugged everything.

I suspect it's the I/O board on the case but I wanted to see if ya'll got any suggestions before I try to get a new one.

Here's my part's list. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/BrokenRobot/saved/#view=gfzBZL

Hot_Sawce

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys I'm building a new PC, got the parts and put it together and it won't boot.

The motherboard has LEDs on it, and it lights up when there's power, but it won't turn on.

I've tried, leaving in one stick of RAM, removed the CMOS for 15 mins, and unplugged and replugged everything.

I suspect it's the I/O board on the case but I wanted to see if ya'll got any suggestions before I try to get a new one.

Here's my part's list. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/BrokenRobot/saved/#view=gfzBZL

List is set to private

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
On PCs, there are two different pools of RAM that are relevant here:
  • On the Motherboard: The "RAM" your motherboard and Windows sees. Like Orimarc says, your motherboard should have 2-4 slots to insert slim rectangular sticks of RAM into. Ideally you should always have 2 or 4 sticks, because most sticks are "dual channel" meaning they have two data highways to the rest of the PC. If you only have one stick, one highway is wasted. Most PCs today should have 16GB of RAM to handle games and Windows the best. The basic idea is that your computer should never use all of the RAM at once.

Normal PCs today use "DDR4" memory, but yours uses DDR3, so be careful when shopping. Anyway, the general rule of thumb is you want "8/8" for 16GB.

• On the Video Card: Video cards have their own RAM. It's not upgradeable. You want as much as you can get within your budget, but the general rule is that better video cards have more RAM. Don't use RAM as a guide though; you'll never find a great video card with not enough memory, but you can find weaker video cards with more than enough. Video Card (GPU) RAM stores the fps you see on screen, textures, etc.

• The RAM counts do not add together. They are separate pools for separate tasks.
In your case with a relatively dated PC (3570K: 3.4GHz/4core) I'm not sure you can hit 90-120 FPS except in performance streamlined games like R6 and Overwatch, but the RX580 is actually an excellent choice for that system since it shouldn't bottleneck much (quick google suggests maybe 5-8%). But hitting 144 doesn't really matter that much so long as your monitor is freesync compatible...

Thank u for advice. Is 4/4 GB RAM ok? I already have 8 GB installed so I dont know if i really need 16 GB.

Or does this depend on how my 8GB RAM is split currently?

Hm, so it seems Im better off with an RX580 then eh? Would it be smarter to get a 570 and then upgrade my CPU as well?

Nov 21, 2017
If you already have 1 8GB stick, I would just get another 8GB stick and put it so that's it's on dual channel (if you have 4 slots, you should use slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4, check your motherboard manual just in case).

Can you turn on the system if you jump the power switch pins with a screwdriver?

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Make sure the power button from the case to the motherboard is correct.
One time many years ago the physical button on the new case was busted.
I RMA'd everything but the case. :doh:

Dick Whitman

Oct 30, 2017
If I decide to just build NZXT's H1 PC myself but change the GPU from an RTX 2070 to an RTX 2080 Ti, will a 650W power supply still be ok? Is the ASRock Z390M-ITX/ac Mini ITX a good motherboard? Is it ok to pair with an i9 9900k and RTX 2080 Ti? Additional specs linked below for reference:

https://www.letsbld.com/h1-mini-pc

Also, when attempting to customize a prebuilt configuration, NZXT lets me upgrade the GPU to an RTX 2080 Super but not to an RTX 2080 Ti, which is odd because I've seen custom builds all across YouTube and the like that feature the H1 case with an RTX 2080 Ti. I don't think temperatures are an issue either as all the videos I've seen show that these are well within acceptable limits.

Oct 30, 2017
What is the best video card with 6gb of vram that will play re3 and doom eternal at 1080p with 60fps? Have 180$ and trying to stretch that as much as I can, also going from Gtx 760 2gb so anything will be a monumental leap.

I am thinking Gtx 1650 to stay in budget.

I am looking at stretch I am thinking these 2:

Evga

Gigabyte

mid there are better deals or cards below the 230$ mark please point me to them! Thank you!

I was able to stretch more to 240$, problem is I need to order from amazon.

Those two seem to be in stock and are relatively good for 1660 supers. Any other opinions or thoughts on those or any other recommendations for GTX 1660 supers?

Oct 30, 2017
I thought all orders coming out of Amazon that aren't house supplies or medical are being deferred.

Could be true I thought it was items not fulfilled by them.

Regardless it is where I have 200$ of gift cards ready to go lol.

I have an Asus pro max iv

Looking at 240 max for a Gtx 1660 super, trying to find a reliable brand to last me at 1080 p for a while. Thanks!

GeezyAF

Oct 28, 2017
If I decide to just build NZXT's H1 PC myself but change the GPU from an RTX 2070 to an RTX 2080 Ti, will a 650W power supply still be ok? Is the ASRock Z390M-ITX/ac Mini ITX a good motherboard? Is it ok to pair with an i9 9900k and RTX 2080 Ti? Additional specs linked below for reference:

https://www.letsbld.com/h1-mini-pc

Also, when attempting to customize a prebuilt configuration, NZXT lets me upgrade the GPU to an RTX 2080 Super but not to an RTX 2080 Ti, which is odd because I've seen custom builds all across YouTube and the like that feature the H1 case with an RTX 2080 Ti. I don't think temperatures are an issue either as all the videos I've seen show that these are well within acceptable limits.
650w for 2080ti/9900k is fine. Asrock z390 ITX is the best board for Z390 itx, will work with i9 fine.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Always been a laptop guy. Finally decided to jump in with the sharks. Hoping I can make CEMU run flawlessly. This is for emulation.

tPXgaNL_d.jpg

all of this finallllllly became a working PC. Took 5 hours to install windows. It was stick in a loop thanks to an issue windows 10 R5 install has with the WiFi drivers on ASUS boards.

before tidying up:

4T5Z15S.jpg

after:
52YOfoz.jpg

I like the before colors more.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Thank u for advice. Is 4/4 GB RAM ok? I already have 8 GB installed so I dont know if i really need 16 GB. Or does this depend on how my 8GB RAM is split currently?

Hm, so it seems Im better off with an RX580 then eh? Would it be smarter to get a 570 and then upgrade my CPU as well?

Most coming games will be using 8-10GB, but for Overwatch or whatever, sure, you can probably get away with 8. But yeah you want 8-8 or 4-4-4-4, not 8-4-4 or any other weird combo. If you're not sure go for a GPU and then check your RAM utilization while playing.

You're almost always better off getting a better GPU and a worse CPU because most of the work is in rendering these days. That being said, the 3570K is very old (2012) so you're at that point where even weak cards like the 580 are starting to hit the CPU cap. You could replace the CPU, but the replacements themselves have been generally out of stock for years, so to actually replace the CPU with something modern but cheap, you need to replace the motherboard...which means replacing the memory with DDR4...(and actually, I think even the 4670K uses a newer socket).

all of this finallllllly became a working PC. Took 5 hours to install windows. It was stick in a loop thanks to an issue windows 10 R5 install has with the WiFi drivers on ASUS boards.

What LED strip is that? It looks really convincing!

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Alright, so I took my PC out to the living room and used an outlet there, and it booted up so I guess it's nothing wrong with my build and something the matter with the outlet / power strip / power cable in my room.

Thanks for the help guys.

GeezyAF

Oct 28, 2017
ok thanks. what about 2080ti/3950x? which is better for 4k gaming? 3950x/3900x or 9900k?
Yes, that combo would be fine too. The PSU in the H1 is made by Seasonic IIRC, so it's pretty robust.
Tech YES did a video about running a 450w PSU with a 3950x/2080ti. Video

For 4K gaming, it won't matter since all the load will be on the 2080ti. Building at this time, I'd be inclined to go with the 3950x, because LGA 1151 is on it's way out, but the 9900k is the king of gaming.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
What LED strip is that? It looks really convincing!

Phanteks Neon RGB

its so vibrant. I love it.

That thermaltake case is so big, it makes a HEDT system and the NHd15 look normal size.

its really really spacious. i feel like putting a figurine in there. i know i shouldnt but theres so much room. only thing i dont like is the
RGB lighting on the fans has to be controllers by thermatakes app. i prefer the GUI of Aura Sync.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
its really really spacious. i feel like putting a figurine in there. i know i shouldnt but theres so much room. only thing i dont like is the RGB lighting on the fans has to be controllers by thermatakes app. i prefer the GUI of Aura Sync.

I believe you can get the fans to obey Aura Sync, but sadly the only way to do it is by buying Thermaltake's TT Sync controller (sold separately) which weirdly also has SATA for power...

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ok, I'm building a PC, mine broke so I'm kinda hurrying to buy a new one, but I live in Brazil, and our currency is falling fast, without outlook of recovery anytime soon, so I kinda need to buy the maximum of things I can right now, before rock bottom comes. So I need some advice.

I will use it primarily for gaming, some video editing, and maybe some game development/ 3d modeling. 0 interest in overclocking. Currently, I have nothing but a headphone. I guess there is also a mouse (Logitech) and keyboard, but the keyboard don't even have a volume button, and the mouse started failing some clicks. My plan is to start simple and then buy more expensive parts later.

Anyway, I took this mid tier suggestion from op, and started tweaking.
CPU: Amd Ryzen 5 3600 3.6ghz Cache 32mb
Motherboard: Amd Am4 B450M-HDV Hdmi/Dvi/Vga Asrock
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT, 8GB, 2666MHz, DDR4

Storage: SSD
Kingston A400, 480GB, SATA
PSU: EVGA 500W 80 Plus White

Case: C3Tech Gamer ATX

The idea is to use the integrated graphics for now in the motherboard (radeons Vega series, I think) and only 8gb of ram for now. Then later, I get the other 8gb and the gtx 1660 ti or similar. My main question now is monitor. I have no demands beyond being 21" and that I can fully utilize the capabilities of 1660 ti on it when I acquire it.

Also, I think I could go lower, but I'm not sure of some of these brands. Is bluecase gamer, Seasonic, dt3sports, cougar, gamemax, kcas or br-x respected PSU brands in any way? And crucial as a ram brand? Anyone ever heard of?

Also, do I need to care about the case? Does one like this would do fine if I don't overclock?
1001619420.jpg

Finally, is the motherboard I choose ok to do all that?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 7, 2017
Ok, I'm building a PC, mine broke so I'm kinda hurrying to buy a new one, but I live in Brazil, and our currency is falling fast, without outlook of recovery anytime soon, so I kinda need to buy the maximum of things I can right now, before rock bottom comes. So I need some advice.

I will use it primarily for gaming, some video editing, and maybe some game development/ 3d modeling. 0 interest in overclocking. Currently, I have nothing but a headphone. I guess there is also a mouse (Logitech) and keyboard, but the keyboard don't even have a volume button, and the mouse started failing some clicks. My plan is to start simple and then buy more expensive parts later.

The idea is to use the integrated graphics for now in the motherboard (radeons Vega series, I think) and only 8gb of ram for now. Then later, I get the other 8gb and the gtx 1660 ti or similar. My main question now is monitor. I have no demands beyond being 21" and that I can fully utilize the capabilities of 1660 ti on it when I acquire it.

Also, I think I could go lower, but I'm not sure of some of these brands. Is bluecase gamer, Seasonic, dt3sports, cougar, gamemax, kcas or br-x respected PSU brands in any way? And crucial as a ram brand? Anyone ever heard of?

Also, do I need to care about the case? Does one like this would do fine if I don't overclock?
1001619420.jpg

Thanks in advance.
Personally, I would go with 16 GB of at least 3200MHz ram. Its better to buy matched sets of RAM, because if you buy them separately they will not have been tested and confirmed to work together. DDR4 ram is also cheaper than its been in years, so if this is a system you are using for a long time, you might as well buy the amount you need now. This comes from a Amerocentric perspective though, so I might be ignorant of the price realities where you live.

Not familiar with the other PSU brands you mentioned, but Seasonics are generally really solid (have one in my current build even). Case is a little harder to address... can't tell much about the that case from just the picture. My personal experience is that it's worthwhile to make sure you get a case that has a decent amount of space behind the back panel and well placed holes on the motherboard mounting plate for routing cables. The case from my old build lacked space, and was a nightmare to work in because I also foolishly bought a non-modular power supply.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

1001619420.jpg

Thanks in advance.

The 3600 doesnt have integrated graphics.
You wont be able to see anything without a graphics card.
Might as well get a cheap one just to tide you over.

Oct 29, 2017

1001619420.jpg

Thanks in advance.
You wont have integrated graphics on a R5 3600. For the motherboard, seems like you are on a tight budget, so at the very least make sure that the Mobo is compatible with Ryzen 3000 out of the box, the easiest way is reading the reviews and consumer questions. Going from what is said in Amazon, it seem to be the case. If you are getting everything online, then it is better to buy a slightly worse b450 that you know will work than buy one with better specs blindly. At a local store you may be able ask the staff to update the board for you.

As for the other questions:
Seasonic and Crucial are two of the most reputable brands in the industry. Haven't heard of the rest except Cougar that is known to make decent cases, but they are certainly not known for their PSUs.

Cases are important because they affect temperature a lot, specially for GPUs in Micro-ATX, like your are planning. If you have no particular look in mind for the case, see if you can find something that has a mesh front panel, or other form of ventilation that is not minimal like the few holes in the case above. Another thing that can help is an ATX case even if you have a M-ATX mobo, because that gives you more space under your GPU.

Last edited: