• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
You could try resetting the MB/Bios. Unplug your PSU, open your case und remove the mb battery for 10-15 seconds. You could also shortcut the the BIOS reset pins for a second on your mb (for example with a paper clip), but the first method is often faster and simpler for most people.
If that doesn't help try flashing back to the older bios version...

I'll try the first method, if that doesn't work how does flashing back to the older bios work?

plv251

Oct 27, 2017
So the GTX 1070 is pretty hard to find, in regards to my previous post (building a 4K editing PC) which other video card is good to use? I'm currently thinking of the GTX 1060 and maybe improve it later on in the year to something way better but for now using that.

The other components I'm getting are

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x
Motherboard: MSI-B350
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000mhz
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2
Graphics Card: GTX 1060
Case: NZXT S340
Power Supply: EVGA NEX 650W

It will be used mainly for video editing (4K Premiere) and moderate gaming

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B2yrUP9.png

I got a hold of this for free.

I am buying a 685W power supply for it but what GPU should i get? I was looking at the GTX 1060 6gig. I am worried about a CPU bottleneck, not sure what cheap upgrade i can get. I have already pissed off the 1TB second drive and put a 3 TB one in.

It's an amazing piece of engineering inside the box though and is dead silent.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I posted a week or so ago about a $99 (well, $93) PC I built from scratch from gaming. Had so much fun with it, I decided to set my sights on a $150 budget build. I decided to re-use a lot from my $93 build, but removed the CPU/MB/RAM/Cooler which totaled $43 spent, so that brought my initial starting expenditures to $50, giving me around $100 to work with for my $150 total budget.

Whoo, just had a great pick-up off of Craigslist. Seller has a Phenom II X4 840, 2x8 GB DDR3 1600, and an ASUS M4A78LT-M LE motherboard listed for $60. I offered $50 and he accepted. He had a Linksys EA6350 router and an ASUS Xonar DG soundcard also included in the listing as separate items for $10 each, but I didn't want them. Went to make the purchase and he was a really nice guy, played WoW, and we chatted a bit about the hardware and such. He ended up throwing in the sound card and router for free, which I don't need, but it looks like I'll be able to sell them both on Ebay for around $20 a piece. After fees and shipping I'll clear probably $20 easily as a total profit, so that $50 I spent above should come down to no more than $30.

Pretty insane pick-up for upgrading my $99 PC. Grabbed a Coolermaster Hyper T2 from Microcenter for $8.73 after a price match, tax, and rebate, so that'll sit on top and should handle the Phenom modestly well even with a (very) mild overclock.

Also grabbed a used 60 GB SSD from Ebay for $22.50. So, I'm at around $130 budget now for my entire rig after upgrading from my $99 budget, and importantly, I move from the LGA775 platform (farewell, Q6600!) to an AM3 platform. Still not the newest platform of course, but now I can very comfortably upgrade on the AM3 socket without much issue if I want to, although once I go over $200 for a total system budget I may land in the realm of just grabbing the cheapest used Ryzen 3 I can find, depending on how awful DDR4 prices are.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
So the GTX 1070 is pretty hard to find, in regards to my previous post (building a 4K editing PC) which other video card is good to use? I'm currently thinking of the GTX 1060 and maybe improve it later on in the year to something way better but for now using that.

The other components I'm getting are

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x
Motherboard: MSI-B350
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000mhz
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2
Graphics Card: GTX 1060
Case: NZXT S340
Power Supply: EVGA NEX 650W

It will be used mainly for video editing (4K Premiere) and moderate gaming
the 1700x needs a cpu cooler. The base 1700 is more or less the same chip and includes a cooler, otherwise, the recommendation I got the other day was the deepcool gammaxx 400 for its low price and good performance. Planning to get it soon (within the week) and see how it does.

plv251

Oct 27, 2017
the 1700x needs a cpu cooler. The base 1700 is more or less the same chip and includes a cooler, otherwise, the recommendation I got the other day was the deepcool gammaxx 400 for its low price and good performance. Planning to get it soon (within the week) and see how it does.

I don't plan on overclocking, would I still need a cooler?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Zeusy
Find your MB support page on the manufacturers webpage, find the BIOS update section and download the previous version and dump it on an USB drive (you should be able to access the BIOS file from your drive; but just in case). Now restart your PC.
While your PC is starting, there is a text promt on your monitor that informs you which button to press to enter your uefi/bios. Most of the time it's del or f2, press that button. In the UEFI you'll need to use the UEFI update tool or flashing tool (sometimes named differently, depends on the mb) to load and apply the previously downloaded BIOS file. While the bios file is being applied do not, under no circumstances, turn off your PC! Once the flashing is done, your PC should reboot automatically. Done.
Sometimes manufacturers provide a software that allows you to flash the bios from inside Windows. Don't do that. Flashing bios is a critical operation and if something goes wrong, you are screwed. It's best to avoid anything that adds any kind of additional layer on the process that could go wrong.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
Zeusy
Find your MB support page on the manufacturers webpage, find the BIOS update section and download the previous version and dump it on an USB drive (you should be able to access the BIOS file from your drive; but just in case). Now restart your PC.
While your PC is starting, there is a text promt on your monitor that informs you which button to press to enter your uefi/bios. Most of the time it's del or f2, press that button. In the UEFI you'll need to use the UEFI update tool or flashing tool (sometimes named differently, depends on the mb) to load and apply the previously downloaded BIOS file. While the bios file is being applied do not, under no circumstances, turn off your PC! Once the flashing is done, your PC should reboot automatically. Done.
Sometimes manufacturers provide a software that allows you to flash the bios from inside Windows. Don't do that. Flashing bios is a critical operation and if something goes wrong, you are screwed. It's best to avoid anything that adds any kind of additional layer on the process that could go wrong.

Thank you man! I will be doing this soon. Thanks again for the info!!

chuseph14

Oct 26, 2017
I've been out of the building game for a minute. Holy shit what happened to RAM? I'm ready to plop down $600ish on a CPU/mobo but those RAM prices got me triggered. 32gb for $400?

edit: WTFFFFF 1080tis are $1500? I already have one but if I can make $800 in profit I'll just plop in my old 980ti. What happened to PCs while I stopped paying attention to parts? Mining?

Oct 25, 2017
I've been out of the building game for a minute. Holy shit what happened to RAM? I'm ready to plop down $600ish on a CPU/mobo but those RAM prices got me triggered. 32gb for $400?

edit: WTFFFFF 1080tis are $1500? I already have one but if I can make $800 in profit I'll just plop in my old 980ti. What happened to PCs while I stopped paying attention to parts? Mining?

GPUs -> Mining
DDR4 -> Phones

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Is there a "need a new laptop" thread here yet? I am looking for recommendations on where and what to shop for, I figure I'd ask here first.

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Is there a "need a new laptop" thread here yet? I am looking for recommendations on where and what to shop for, I figure I'd ask here first.

Have you seen the latest with the Vega M? A bunch of Laptops are coming out that uses the Intel-AMD chip. Hp Spectre X360 15, Lenovo Yoga 720 and Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 are some of the first that comes to mind that will use this. The GPU is on the same chip as the CPU which is said to reduce to footprint and make cooling easier.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Have you seen the latest with the Vega M? A bunch of Laptops are coming out that uses the Intel-AMD chip. Hp Spectre X360 15, Lenovo Yoga 720 and Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 are some of the first that comes to mind that will use this. The GPU is on the same chip as the CPU which is said to reduce to footprint and make cooling easier.

Sounds good for Windows. This one is gonna be for school for me do I'll definitely look into those models. Any idea if it's still worth getting a MacBook pro from 2014/2015?

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Sounds good for Windows. This one is gonna be for school for me do I'll definitely look into those models. Any idea if it's still worth getting a MacBook pro from 2014/2015?

What kinda school work do you need it for?

light stuff like browsing and taking notes (then you could get by with the basic 12 macbook or a xps 13 or a zenbook 13 or a hp spectre x360 13, or a Surface).

If you need something that uses cores, you might want to get something with 6-8 cores which should become reality in the next refresh. for the Macbook Pro line. They are still on 7th gen intel processors. The big question is if Intel will release 8 core i7 to respond to new Ryzen CPUs coming later this year. We don't know.

DAREALGUMMY

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm thinking about the Ryzen 1600 as was suggested earlier. The only thing is the MB question. I was thinking of overclocking it and was wondering what would be the best board for it without breaking the bank. Currently looking at this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X416NJ1/?tag=era0f0-20

Should I settle on this or is there something better? Was looking to overclocking ram as well.

Frankfurter

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm thinking about the Ryzen 1600 as was suggested earlier. The only thing is the MB question. I was thinking of overclocking it and was wondering what would be the best board for it without breaking the bank. Currently looking at this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X416NJ1/?tag=era0f0-20

Should I settle on this or is there something better? Was looking to overclocking ram as well.

Solid choice imo. Just make sure to check out RAM compatibility before buying.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Is right now a good time to work on a new gaming PC? I know it is the whole "jump in time" but what does the next few months hold?

Frankfurter

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's a terrible time unfortunately. GPU prices are insane (especially in the US), RAM is very expensive and SSDs too...

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Is right now a good time to work on a new gaming PC? I know it is the whole "jump in time" but what does the next few months hold?

CPUs, cases, motherboards, hard drives, and peripherals are affordable now. RAM, GPUs, and to some extent SSDs are a bit expensive. You can build a decent PC right now and grab a 120 GB SSD for $60 for a boot drive, a 1050 or 1050 Ti for a GPU, and 8 GB (1x8) of RAM. Then, upgrade the GPU and add another 8 GB of RAM down the road when prices normalize.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Well I have (RAM is from 2012):

RAM : 2 X Corsair Vengeance Red *GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866 MHz (PC3 15000)
GPU: GeForce GTX 1070
HDD: Samung SSD 830 and 850 (1TB)

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Well I have (RAM is from 2012):

RAM : 2 X Corsair Vengeance Red *GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866 MHz (PC3 15000)
GPU: GeForce GTX 1070
HDD: Samung SSD 830 and 850 (1TB)

That's DDR3 RAM. It isn't compatible with modern motherboards (they require DDR4). However, you can definitely resell that on eBay etc o help account for your new purchases if you have the motivation. The GPU is great and the SSDs are great.

Last edited:

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I've ordered some parts for my new PC, I'm starting to get a little excited but I've still got to get the hard to get parts yet. This will be the best PC I've ever built.

CPU: Planning on an Intel 8600K
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A - £148
RAM: Patriot Viper DDR4 3200MHz 16GB - £178
PSU: Not yet decided
GPU: Planning on a GTX 1070ti
Case: NZXT S340 Midi Tower Black Case - £60

And I'll be reusing my SSD and H45 CPU cooler.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I've ordered some parts for my new PC, I'm starting to get a little excited but I've still got to get the hard to get parts yet. This will be the best PC I've ever built.

CPU: Planning on an Intel 8600K
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A - £148
RAM: Patriot Viper DDR4 3200MHz 16GB - £178
PSU: Not yet decided
GPU: Planning on a GTX 1070ti
Case: NZXT S340 Midi Tower Black Case - £60

And I'll be reusing my SSD and H45 CPU cooler.

Solid stuff. What'll you be doing with the PC? Mainly gaming?

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
144Hz gaming. I've since opted for the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2, 80+ GOLD 650W PSU so that's taken care of, now it's the 8600K and 1070ti which will be a fucking ballache to get.

Good PSU! And yeah, the CPU shouldn't be too hard to get, but that GPU is gonna be a pain. Just be patient and stalk websites. If you're near a Microcenter or Frys, you might be able to camp out there in the morning before re-stock day.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
So lemme ask a question here...

My boss had one of our guys build his own PC. The dude somehow missed the new 8700k processor in the parts pile, and put in the old 6700k into the new motherboard, then flooded it with thermal paste. Shockingly it didn't boot. Boss told him about the new CPU he should have used, he goes and changes it out, somehow getting thermal paste everywhere, and still no boot. I'm assuming he either fucked up the motherboard or processor. Motherboard is getting power, CPU and chassis fans spinning, RGB nonsense lighting up, but doesn't seem like I can get the CPU to do anything. Parts guy is ordering another motherboard for the hell of it. Any ideas?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
So lemme ask a question here...

My boss had one of our guys build his own PC. The dude somehow missed the new 8700k processor in the parts pile, and put in the old 6700k into the new motherboard, then flooded it with thermal paste. Shockingly it didn't boot. Boss told him about the new CPU he should have used, he goes and changes it out, somehow getting thermal paste everywhere, and still no boot. I'm assuming he either fucked up the motherboard or processor. Motherboard is getting power, CPU and chassis fans spinning, RGB nonsense lighting up, but doesn't seem like I can get the CPU to do anything. Parts guy is ordering another motherboard for the hell of it. Any ideas?

At this point I'd replace either the boss or the guy that tried to build the PC. Replacing both would be the safe bet.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Good PSU! And yeah, the CPU shouldn't be too hard to get, but that GPU is gonna be a pain. Just be patient and stalk websites. If you're near a Microcenter or Frys, you might be able to camp out there in the morning before re-stock day.

I currently have alerts set up on HotUKDeals, PriceSpy and PCPartpicker. £420 is about my limit and even that is disgusting. I expect to pay around £240 for the CPU. All in all I'm looking at £1100, and hopefully I can recoup some of that on eBay if I don't get scammed.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the young guy here send help. It's now my project anyway since it's been fucked up this bad.

A parts list would be helpful.

I'd say in terms of degree of difficulty, it's possible that the CPU / Motherboard mismatch (assuming there was one) caused some damage. Motherboard pins in the CPU socket are easily bent... The wrong kind of thermal past down inside a CPU socket could be problematic, possible even if it's on surrounding components and is electrically conductive. I've seen issues with motherboards becoming shorted to the case due to objects coming into contact with the board... power supply issues, lots of variables here. Maybe the CPU fan/heatsink wasn't installed properly.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
A parts list would be helpful.

I'd say in terms of degree of difficulty, it's possible that the CPU / Motherboard mismatch (assuming there was one) caused some damage. Motherboard pins in the CPU socket are easily bent... The wrong kind of thermal past down inside a CPU socket could be problematic, possible even if it's on surrounding components and is electrically conductive. I've seen issues with motherboards becoming shorted to the case due to objects coming into contact with the board... power supply issues, lots of variables here. Maybe the CPU fan/heatsink wasn't installed properly.

I'm not really gonna troubleshoot I'm gonna disassemble what I need from it, trash the motherboard, rebuild on the new one, and see what happens. I just know I'm gonna be asked questions and don't feel like actually diagnosing the exact issue.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really gonna troubleshoot I'm gonna disassemble what I need from it, trash the motherboard, rebuild on the new one, and see what happens. I just know I'm gonna be asked questions and don't feel like actually diagnosing the exact issue.

Just make sure that you have the right parts in hand. I don't know your level of expertise, but make sure the CPU/motherboard/RAM are compatible.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
not sure if this is the correct place for this but....anyone familiar with those gaming chairs? how good are they? worth the money?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Is now a good time to buy a Samsung 960 Evo or is there something better on the horizon? It's $280AUD for 500gb right now.

Cadette

Oct 30, 2017
Oh boy. Managed to snag a MSI 1070 today while they were briefly in stock on Newegg. Ships tomorrow and I am so psyched. It was the last part of my build and I thought for sure I'd be waiting a while to get one at a reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.