• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razer Game Store is dead, who should go next?

• Epic Store

Votes: 261 38.8%
  • Windows Store

Votes: 156 23.2%
  • Bethesda.Net

Votes: 180 26.8%
  • Origin

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • PSN

Votes: 50 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
So 'til the weekend we're getting Metro, Jump Force, Anthem*, Crackdown 3, Far Cry New Dawn and a new Civ6 expansion. Plus Eastshade, AWAY and Degrees of Separation on the indie side. Whew.

*rich folks only

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about the new WIndows 10 insider build. And what I think is going to happen:
- Microsoft will double down on their PC gaming support
- Valve and Microsoft work together (https://www.windowscentral.com/steam-xbox-one-cross-play-tools-hinted-beta-source-code ) for crossplay and cross progression.
- Microsoft will put Xbox Game Studios games on Steam, while Steam will support the Steam Workshop on the Microsoft Store
- Microsoft's Gamepass and Play Anywhere will only be available on the Microsoft Store, but Steam offering better pricing models because no console crossbuy.

4OefcI6.png

I could be horribly wrong tho.

i admire your optimism, that's all ill say

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
The why;
- Because Microsoft wants to enable modding. And they have plans to further develop modding on their own platform, but including the Steam Workshop could give them quite some goodwill on this front.
- They are currently remastering Age of Empires 2. A game that has a big Steam userbase and has Steam Workshop support. Releasing it without both would make the game DoA
I don't really see why Microsoft would want modding in their games. It would just make the xbox version look less appealing and it would even complicate the cross-play stuff even further.

You sure they are still working on AoE2 Remastered? After the first one bombed so hard I could see them canceling the whole thing.
But yeah I agree if they want to gain traction for games like AoE or Gears Tactics, a Steam release is a necessity at this point.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
The why;
- Because Microsoft wants to enable modding. And they have plans to further develop modding on their own platform, but including the Steam Workshop could give them quite some goodwill on this front.
- They are currently remastering Age of Empires 2. A game that has a big Steam userbase and has Steam Workshop support. Releasing it without both would make the game DoA

The how:

I know it's a far fetched idea. But their recent remarks about 'Stop threating PC gamers as if they were console gamers' made me think about it. The recent Insider build even more so.

This is very unlikely. Microsoft is working on their own modding platform that's supposed to work on console as well. At best they'll support mods that are made for Workshop, but I don't think they will actually include or integrate it.

AoE DE was DOA on the Windows Store, but it still isn't released on Steam. It's very unlikely that AoE2 will release on Steam. After all, MS is funding these remakes to get people into their ecosystem.

What MS means with "Stop threating PC gamers as if they were console gamers" has to be seen. According to Jez Corden, their future pc games won't be uwp. Let's wait and see if this means that game files aren't encrypted anymore. That's my biggest concern tbh. If they allow the same file access than win32 games have today, I'll be happy to use their ecosystem on pc.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Away was the only game I wanted to get this week but reviews have me on the fence. Still got the RE2 DLC to look forward to and then I'll just wait for Devotion next week.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I wonder wether Epic will invest in even more in moneyhats to "establish" their store if Apex Legends can keep its momentum and steal some of that Fortnite money.

Also continueing Metro: Last Light Redux. A thing I read a lot about Metro games with Exodus is their jank but the Redux version doesn't have any so far other than sometimes the areas for picking up loot not working how you think they should work. Shooting feels good which is something I can't say about my time with 2033 vanilla.

2033 vanilla was not supposed to be a shooter, it was supposed to be an immersive survival/stealth game. They ruined it in Redux when they turned it into another shooter with lots of ammo.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
This is very unlikely. Microsoft is working on their own modding platform that's supposed to work on console as well. At best they'll support mods that are made for Workshop, but I don't think they will actually include or integrate it.

AoE DE was DOA on the Windows Store, but it still isn't released on Steam. It's very unlikely that AoE2 will release on Steam. After all, MS is funding these remakes to get people into their ecosystem.

What MS means with "Stop threating PC gamers as if they were console gamers" has to be seen. According to Jez Corden, their future pc games won't be uwp. Let's wait and see if this means that game files aren't encrypted anymore. That's my biggest concern tbh. If they allow the same file access than win32 games have today, I'll be happy to use their ecosystem on pc.

Let's see. You know my opinion, I'd prefer Steam releases and full cross play above the removal of UWP. In the end I'm a gamer who likes Microsoft IP's. When I'm able to play these games I'd like as many people as possible to enjoy them. How these games can be reached.. don't really matter to me.

The less exclusivity the better.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Let's see. You know my opinion, I'd prefer Steam releases and full cross play above the removal of UWP. In the end I'm a gamer who likes Microsoft IP's. When I'm able to play these games I'd like as many people as possible to enjoy them. How these games can be reached.. don't really matter to me.

The less exclusivity the better.

Don't get me wrong; I'd prefer a Steam release as well. I just don't see it happen.

MS is out to expand their Xbox ecosystem on pc. I think they will actually compete with Steam instead of working with them. They NEED their exclusive games to push people into using their ecosystem and services. Cross-play with Steam is probably meant to prevent the WinStore version of 3rd party games from being DOA when cross-play with console isn't recommended.

Again, I hope you're right, but bringing Halo and Gears to Steam goes straight against Microsofts interests. I also don't mind using their store for their 1st party games, as long as they don't moneyhat 3rd party games, the store actually works and games aren't being sold as locked down encrypted uwp apps. I think the latter is more likely to happen than Microsoft embracing Steam.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Baron von Loathsome Man I am not one to make mean predictions but here's an arcade/classics compilation I predict for tomorrow
Konami's Ninja Turtles games compilation ft.
The 2 arcade games
Hyperstone Heist
Turtles in Time SNES
The 2/3 NES games
Tournament Fighters SNES and Mega Drive

Exclusive to the Nintendo Switch

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
At some point MS has to do something. I'm not sure about Steam support, though. I just subbed to gamepass so I could play Crackdown and it only cost 2 bucks for 2 months. This can't possibly be what they want from PC gamers. How are they making any money?

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
At some point MS has to do something. I'm not sure about Steam support, though. I just subbed to gamepass so I could play Crackdown and it only cost 2 bucks for 2 months. This can't possibly be what they want from PC gamers. How are they making any money?

It's really weird how they let us re-use the same deal over and over again but I would guess with every such offer they retain few more people. They can throw money around and they are slowly building up their player/customer base again.

It's hard to even say "at least they made $2 off of you" because the bandwidth costs and other fees alone will probably mean they make exactly nothing. I'm considering another 2 months for Crackdown 3 but I have so little faith in that game that I want to see reviews first before even spending couple of dollars (euros) on that game.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

They've bought Obsidian and inXile for a reason. They want you to subscribe for the whole year.

But they need mindshare and content for that. 'Making friends' with PC gamers is one part of that. Buying studios and content is the other. They won't be making much money for a long time. But I don't think Epic is in for the short term. So neither will MS.

But let's see what happens. Normally I'd just expect them to say: ''Hey, we improved the MS Store, buy Age of Empires!'' and be done with it. Their PC gaming efforts haven't been fantastic this past decade.. lol.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
It's hard to even say "at least they made $2 off of you" because the bandwidth costs and other fees alone will probably mean they make exactly nothing.
Yeah. It's weird. I've used the dollar for a month before. When this is over, I will have had gamepass for 3 months and it only cost 3 bucks.
'Making friends' with PC gamers is one part of that. Buying studios and content is the other. They won't be making much money for a long time. But I don't think Epic is in for the short term. So neither will MS.

But let's see what happens. Normally I'd just expect them to say: ''Hey, we improved the MS Store, buy Age of Empires!'' and be done with it. Their PC gaming efforts haven't been fantastic this past decade.. lol.
You are right. I do think they don't really care about making money for now. I will say that I do like the idea of gamepass quite a bit. I would even be interested in subbing for the full price if they can get their stuff together. Obviously, the service and MS in general need big improvements on the PC side.

Last edited:

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
They've bought Obsidian and inXile for a reason. They want you to subscribe for the whole year.

But they need mindshare and content for that. 'Making friends' with PC gamers is one part of that. Buying studios and content is the other. They won't be making much money for a long time. But I don't think Epic is in for the short term. So neither will MS.

They could start by putting on Game Pass games like Gear of War Ultimate (XBox One version is on GP, PC one isn't), Sunset Overdrive, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, LIS2...their effort are non-existent at the moment. I think the "new" games PC players got are We Happy Few, which seems to be very bad so I don't know how many players will actually play it, and Crackdown 3. It's good to be able to pay 1€ and play C3 fully, but except that if you already subbed once there's not really something to play. EA is doing much better with Origin Access, if you sub for one month for 4€ you can actually play so many great games like Tyranny, with Microsoft you'll spend much time on downloading those games, since they are usually 100gb+ each, than actually playing them.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

GaaS dude. Microsoft will add new content for Crackdown every month so that you'll keep subscribing. These cheap deals are meant to get people into their store and ecosystem, and it seems it works out great for them.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Selling user private data which win10 diligently collects.
Being big enough to have several $bn of pocket change helps too.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
2033 vanilla was not supposed to be a shooter, it was supposed to be an immersive survival/stealth game. They ruined it in Redux when they turned it into another shooter with lots of ammo.

Is there lots of ammo on survival? Playing on Spartan because I want to play as a sneaky fuck that ices people from the shadows and so far it is okay. Sometimes it feels a little bit bullshit because enemies sometimes and sometimes not.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Is there lots of ammo on survival? Playing on Spartan because I want to play as a sneaky fuck that ices people from the shadows and so far it is okay. Sometimes it feels a little bit bullshit because enemies sometimes and sometimes not.

This was in 2010, but I remember that due to lack of ammo in vanilla I had to rely on that rifle that needed to be winded to shoot iron balls. Mid game there is a camo suit you can get to make your life easier.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Does anyone know of a good controller I can use for my laptop? I would go with an official PS4, Xbox, or Switch one but I'm rather touchy when it comes to keeping them from getting damaged by carrying them around everywhere haha. I do have a Steam Controller though.

But yeah any good third party controller that does the job well? I don't mind if it's wired.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
doto actually has an impressive number of viewers considering its playerbase relative to the games above it (and i guess below it too)

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
Apex is exceptionally polished. If you even remotely liked Titanfall 2 MP you should definitely give it a shot.

Finally some real COMPETITION for Epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.