• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razer Game Store is dead, who should go next?

• Epic Store

Votes: 261 38.8%
  • Windows Store

Votes: 156 23.2%
  • Bethesda.Net

Votes: 180 26.8%
  • Origin

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • PSN

Votes: 50 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Getting ready for Fanatical bundlefest tomorrow.

Peter-getting-ready-for-Rose-Ceremony.gif

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
BioWare has been chasing trends for far too long.

It seems that sometime after NWN they just stopped knowing what it is they actually want to do (or they know they can't really do what they want), so they do what they think might be popular, even if they don't really know how to do it.

So we get progressively duller shooters like ME, action games like DA2, open-world slog-athons like Inquisition and Andromeda (even their original plan for that was just "let's do Star Citizen with a BioWare story"). And now we have Destiny 3, and probably the next DA is going to ape whatever the most popular trends were in the last couple years.

I join Mivey in indifference, which is really sad, as BG2 is the greatest CRPG ever made, and I was a huge DA fan. I wish them well, but I don't imagine being very interested in their future games anymore.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
BioWare has been chasing trends for far too long.

It seems that sometime after NWN they just stopped knowing what it is they actually want to do (or they know they can't really do what they want), so they do what they think might be popular, even if they don't really know how to do it.

So we get progressively duller shooters like ME, action games like DA2, open-world slog-athons like Inquisition and Andromeda (even their original plan for that was just "let's do Star Citizen with a BioWare story"). And now we have Destiny 3, and probably the next DA is going to ape whatever the most popular trends were in the last couple years.

Is it really BioWare that is choosing what they have to develop?

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really BioWare that is choosing what they have to develop?
Yes, and no.

The thing is that the studio grew to a size that wouldn't be sustainable making CRPGs of the type they were known for. By all rights, they simply would have closed in the mid-2000s, but for the acquisitions.

Now that they have permanent funding, they could make those games again, but they wouldn't drive profits sufficient to satisfy EA (nor to maintain their headcount). So they're basically boxed in to trying to make mega-hits, even though their culture really doesn't seem capable of delivering any.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
BioWare of today probably has almost no people left from the time of DA:O (the only good Dragon Age game) and even less from the BG2 days. The company is basically a completely different thing these days. Hell its completely different from the Mass Effect days even. I liked ME2 and ME3 was fine, but everything since has been drek. I don't expect anything from their games anymore. Anthem is no different. I won't be playing it.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Since apparently the issues I asked a refund for are fixed, here we go for the second time

dFB3pDt.png

After you answered my DoA6 question yesterday I felt like I was forgetting something but couldn't quite remember what it was.

... This was it lol. I meant to remind you of the Senran patch notes cuz the latest one fixes the scrolling VN text issue.

Hopefully it actually does work for you now! :)

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Is Andromata worth playing now that it can be had for dirt cheap and has been patched? Screenshots of the pc version look surprisingly gorgeous at least.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I came off as a bit too harsh. And you're making some good points. All these successful online games seem to be either entirely free, or rather cheap, so a full priced game, as Anthem seems to be is going to have a hard time.

I must admit, I don't really follow these different multiplayer experiences, they seem much the same to me, so that's why I brought up Apex. Still, it seems the real money is always made in getting a large player base, and monetizing it later.

ovrwx.gif

Congrats, Bernardo
lEwACD5.png

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
It looks pretty, but it's still ME Andromeda at the end of the day. A repetitive slog, with garbage characters, and snoozefest story.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
It looks pretty, but it's still ME Andromeda at the end of the day. A repetitive slog, with garbage characters, and snoozefest story.
imo it's the most solid boring game I ever played. I'd still rank it above XV from the games I played close to it, but that's about it.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
imo it's the most solid boring game I ever played. I'd still rank it above XV from the games I played close to it, but that's about it.

I just couldn't. I quit when you had to go back to the desert planet. It just gets way too checklisty with side content. Like that thing people accuse Ubisoft games of, but worse.

Thinking back, one positive thing I can say is that I prefer Andromeda's way of leveling up and gaining skills Vs. the traditional ME's where you were locked into the skills of a class you chose from the start.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Does it have that garbage system from Inquisition where you have to do so many tasks before you get enough power or whatever to advance the story? Know to skip most of the side content unless it involves a party member or sounds interesting.

XV Is great and so weird for an aaa game

Last edited:

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I just couldn't. I quit when you had to go back to the desert planet. It just gets way too checklisty with side content. Like that thing people accuse Ubisoft games of, but worse.
And just think that they said they learned the lessons of DA:I and took inspiration from the Witcher 3.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Started DMC 4 SE because DMC V looks cool in trailers and I really like the Bayonetta games. Now I'm not so sure if I get DMCV. Maybe I'm too used to Bayonetta's evade function but it really is something I'm missing here. Jumping to evade doesn't feel good and due to the fixed camera perspective the roll doesn't always work how I want either. Kind of a bummer honestly.

Main reason are not even the mob fights but the first boss fight felt kinda crap.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Happy birthday BernardoOne!

It's kind of sad to see Anthem getting hate. It looks like fun in the few let's plays I've seen. Though I admit it mostly just makes me want to reinstall Warframe.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Thinking back, one positive thing I can say is that I prefer Andromeda's way of leveling up and gaining skills Vs. the traditional ME's where you were locked into the skills of a class you chose from the start.
I don't like that you can only equip three skills when you can learn so many. In Mass Effect 1 I remember having loads of skills on the number keys plus my teammates skills on there as well. I actually tried looking for a mod to allow me to use more but couldn't find one.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
t9w31KG.jpg

The worst section done!
I'm pretty sure I read an interview with Patrice Desilets that he added the flags in AC because at the time it was normal for games to have useless collectibles and he essentially added the crazy amount of flags in the game just to troll people.

Funny how AC games now have so many collectibles in a non-ironic way tho.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Whats the deal with this one? Suppose to be higher quality titles than usual?

I think most people aren't particularly excited but I'm catching up on a decade of missed PC gaming, so cheap bundles always excite me. I recently picked up the F.E.A.R. collection bundle, and also a bundle with strategy games like Port Royale and Patrician. Good times await me!

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I'm pretty sure I read an interview with Patrice Desilets that he added the flags in AC because at the time it was normal for games to have useless collectibles and he essentially added the crazy amount of flags in the game just to troll people.

Pointless collectathons are the worst. Anything that takes away from Kassandra's Greek Murderthon needs, uh...

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018

It's the ANIMUS. :P Maybe it's Abstergo trolling Desmond.

I recall him saying that there was a reason he put the flags into the first game, but he'll never tell what it is just to troll.

Because there's no reason he did it, he did it because he could.

Then in AC2 he put in the feathers, and kills Petruccio before you find out why he wanted them. Patrice is a sadist confirmed.

He wanted the feathers to tickle bitches feet with. Petruccio's a fucking madlad.

Last edited:

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
@dex3108

Aren't you afraid you'll get burned out if you do a creedathon?

I thought about it once, but that's the reason I stopped playing them after AC3. When AC3 came out I did AC1 - AC3, then promptly started losing my mind but pushed through AC3, and didn't touch an AC game for almost four years until Black Flag in 2017.

Busy replaying AC4 because uPlay doesn't enable cloud saves for that one (idiots), then I'll play Rouge and AC3 remastered for that chronological American trilogy.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Woof, Ch. 1 of Monkey Island 4 is rather lengthy! The Swamp puzzle was easier than I expected, thank goodness for save anytime option :P
I felt the puzzles so far were OK, but one REALLY need to keep in mind of events that are triggered in order to figure the right course of action.
While dgvoodoo does a good job with downsampling the main characters models', I'm noticing some glitches with the shadows. Nothing major but they aren't coloured properly.
Some quickie screenshots I took
7D6262255AAA301D7AD647C3E4E740406612C683
C193A0E3E1F1395F4CE581B6F4C1D043F704BDA0
02463E9F99CF345C9F761599ACE739E56E9CD00F
DBA0BD6655923DD816D86954706FD0C3C0F2A41C
63F81F447029E8D60542080EF8BBBFEDD94DFC59

Oh god, I miss my pervert in arms Milamber
Took you 3 years to realize that?

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When several people with same avatar post at the same time, why don't use same username too.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Woof, Ch. 1 of Monkey Island 4 is rather lengthy! The Swamp puzzle was easier than I expected, thank goodness for save anytime option :P
I felt the puzzles so far were OK, but one REALLY need to keep in mind of events that are triggered in order to figure the right course of action.
While dgvoodoo does a good job with downsampling the main characters models', I'm noticing some glitches with the shadows. Nothing major but they aren't coloured properly.
Some quickie screenshots I took
7D6262255AAA301D7AD647C3E4E740406612C683
C193A0E3E1F1395F4CE581B6F4C1D043F704BDA0
02463E9F99CF345C9F761599ACE739E56E9CD00F
DBA0BD6655923DD816D86954706FD0C3C0F2A41C
63F81F447029E8D60542080EF8BBBFEDD94DFC59
I doubt it's just me, but the COMI artstyle translated into 3d is utterly graceless. It loses so much charm. I though Grim Fandango looked so great, but the GRIME engine was totally wrong for this.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Damn 12 hours played of Crackdown 3 in the past 3 days. Love me some orb collecting.

YES. Over 10hrs into Crack3, played whole weekend and just as expected I'm having a great time. Doesn't mean the scores aren't justified, that it should cost 60€ or that I get why the development took so long. No idea. But the controls are great, movement is fluid, city isn't big but diverse enough (and you can see everything from anywhere, visually it's not great otherwise but good enough), you get new weapons all the time (tho some are very useless) and collecting orbs doesn't get old.

Only issue I'm having is sometimes too many enemies and knowing from where the shots are coming from, I turned up the difficulty and the last boss fight is insane, even when moving around a lot I'm getting overhelmed and eventually killed, those jackasses with shields and rockets are the worst. Lots of hitscan weapons too so you are getting hit in the air. edit: Aaaaand found a spot where nothing could hit me. Oh well. The bossfights were good but they should've toned down the endless supply of standard enemies and instead given the boss more energy or something.

Also regarding Anthem, I watched a stream and sound cut out a couple of times. Exactly like in the first few months of Battlefield 4. Good old Frostbite, good old devs making sure even the oldest bugs come back to haunt us. And people are starting to complain about a certain story misson, sounds dreadful.

Last edited:

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
it's very interesting. Metro Exodus is being review bombed...upwards

............./´¯/)......................................(\¯`\
............/...//.........................................\\...\
........../....//............................................\\ ..\
...../´¯/..../´¯\........................................./¯`\....\¯`\
.././.. /..../..../. |_...EPIC STORE. |..\....\....\...\.\
(.(....(....(..../.) ..)..........................(...(.\....).....)...).)
.\................\/.../.............................\...\/................./
..\.................../................................\..................../
...\.................(.................................)................../

Happy birthday btw

Oct 25, 2017
Judging by the achievments I have probably one big area ahead of me in Metro Exodus + presumable at least one smaller level, so if anybody cares to know here are some impressions
In short, the game is good but not great, it's not really like Stalker so don't expect that, play on a higher difficulty, don't play it for the story, the open world is not that amazing.

Just gonna repeat what I said above: The game is not Stalker. It's not really trying to be like Stalker either and that's fine. Unless you define Stalker as "First person shooter something something nuklear bomb" it's not Stalker. There are no sidequests, no towns or fractions and the open worlds themselves are pretty small. The nights are pretty bright as well, so you won't get that feeling of running through a pitch black forrest with 5 bullets left and some noises chasing you and while your weapons can theoretically break they will still be accurate enough and fixing them is incredibly easy and only costs some crafting material.

Your main reason to explore is to find said crafting materials which the game absolutely showers you in if you play on Normal (so don't play on Normal). You can find some gear upgrades too which can be pretty useful and sometimes you can rescue some captured villagers which will get you "good ending" points as well as hints on where you could find a gear upgrade. Don't expect much more tho. The locations you will visit are either a monster lair or a bandit camp, there won't really be any story there or anything else that set's the individual locations apart. There aren't that many on the map tho, so it also never feels like busywork and as far as I can tell once you clear something out, it stays that way. Speaking of the "good ending", the Metro games used to have some pretty obscure requirements to get the good ending. I don't know how Exodus is handling this at the end but at least for the individual hub worlds those requirements pretty much just seem to be "don't be an asshole and kill innocent people". Whenever you go on a mission and somebody from your crew joins you and says something like "We could try do this quietly and not to kill the innocent people" you know that if you shoot everybody that guy probably won't stick around one way or another. That's fine however (if a bit obvious) because otherwise everybody would have google where you find that damn kid you have to give some money again.

Speaking of stealth, it feels pretty easy so far (again, playing on normal so do yourself a favor and play on a higher difficulty). There usually aren't that many enemies around and if you don't approach a camp during the day you should be able to take them out 1-by-1 without too much trouble. Sometimes enemies will spot you or corpses through walls, so use your quicksave with caution. Also make sure the game actually saved because sometimes it doesn't feel like it and forgets to tell you.

As for the story, there is a fun "road trip" mentality going on at times but boy oh boy the writing can be preeeeeeetty bad. Also there are some "twists" that are just so.....SOOO obvious that I'm not sure they aren't like that on purpose. You basically have to listen to a character say something like " Gnihihihi please come to our lair, I mean command center. It's definitely not a trap. I'm a nice guy and will help you, leave your weapons behind because we are all nice guys who will help you bwahahahahahahaha" on the radio and everybody around you is like "Oh that sounds pretty good, let's go there" (that's actually not that far off from something that actually happens in the game).

There is also another thing and I'm gonna put that in an extra spoiler but you can pretty much tell what's going to happen a minute after they introduce the concept but the game then keeps going "Oh that? That's just something different, trust me *wink*" for another 5 hours or so before it actually becomes a plot point.
Geez, I wonder if that cough a character keeps bringing up will come into play at some point. They have been coughing for 3 levels now (which is like 4 months in the game) and nobody seems to notice and they keep saying stuff like "Oh, that sand is making me cough" and I can't tell if that's the game trying to be clever.

The game also looks good graphically but the second hub is a desert and therefore looks boooooooooooooooring as fuck since it's just sand and pretty much nothing else.

So there you have it.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Bit of a random question, but since the community feedback thread seems to be gone somewhere, might as well post this question on the community I visit the most: is there any way I can disable automatic draft saving on mobile?

I own the old model of Samsung Galaxy, and while I can browse the site fine in most cases, it's impossible for me to post any decent comments because it saves a draft every time I type a freaking alphabet - and my cell phone seems to momentarily freeze every time a draft is saved; therefore, Resetera mobile site freezes for like 10s every time I type an alphabet on a comment box, and I've given up trying to post something on a mobile due to massive frustration. So how to turn off these annoying automatic draft function? I can't seem to find it in the options.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Does it have that garbage system from Inquisition where you have to do so many tasks before you get enough power or whatever to advance the story?
No, you can slam through the missions, and that's what you should do IMO (everything scales to your level, so levels don't really matter).

The open world is awful. It's dreadfully boring (unlike the handcrafted levels of Inquisition, it's just a bunch of empty space with a few different types of enemy "camps" that are repeated throughout—all statically placed). Imagine the UNC worlds from the first game, but 10 times larger and even less interesting.

I don't like that you can only equip three skills when you can learn so many. In Mass Effect 1 I remember having loads of skills on the number keys plus my teammates skills on there as well. I actually tried looking for a mod to allow me to use more but couldn't find one.
Yeah, there's no justification for this with KBM controls (Inquisition was bad enough with only 8).

They give you tools to sort of work around it, but the only thing that happened was I used the same 3 skills the entire game.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Another one down, two cites left. That last flag in Damascus was pain in the a*s to find.

ovR55k6.jpg

@dex3108

Aren't you afraid you'll get burned out if you do a creedathon?

I thought about it once, but that's the reason I stopped playing them after AC3. When AC3 came out I did AC1 - AC3, then promptly started losing my mind but pushed through AC3, and didn't touch an AC game for almost four years until Black Flag in 2017.

Busy replaying AC4 because uPlay doesn't enable cloud saves for that one (idiots), then I'll play Rouge and AC3 remastered for that chronological American trilogy.

I will make breaks between games and play something else. Up until Unity i did Creedathon once per year. Also AC1 is only one that i will go for 100% because that is only mainline AC game that i didn't finish 100%. Other games i will go through story only. That is why i won't replay AC Origins, because you can't go through story only there.

Status
Not open for further replies.