• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razer Game Store is dead, who should go next?

• Epic Store

Votes: 261 38.8%
  • Windows Store

Votes: 156 23.2%
  • Bethesda.Net

Votes: 180 26.8%
  • Origin

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • PSN

Votes: 50 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan_09

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
I don't know where else to turn, but I could really use some help.
The problem: certain (most) games are incredibly jittery or stuttering when moving the camera with a mouse. This primarily affects first person games. Another way to describe would be like my games are dropping frames ONLY when the camera is moved using the mouse, but without actually dropping frames. Camera control is perfectly smooth with a an Xbox One controller. It's also fine while strafing with the keyboard.

Specs:
-MSI z270 Gaming Pro Carbon mobo
-I7-7700k
-MSI GTX 1070Ti 8GB
-Corsair 16 GB (8x2) DDR4 2666MHz (dual channel)
-Samsung 970 Evo NVMe as boot drive (newly installed with a clean install of Windows 10)
-WD 1TB for mass storage
-EVGA 650W 80+ Gold
-Windows 10
-Asus ROG P279Q 1440p G-Sync 144Hz/165Hz OC'd option.
-Logitech G903 mouse

I don't play a whole lot of current gen games on my PC, mostly last gen stuff, but I can easily blast 165+ fps on max settings in nearly everything I do play. Worst FPS I tend to get is 120 on the more demanding games. I don't overclock apart from my monitor's built-in overclock for 165Hz. I built the PC in December 2017, and had the issues since, but I'm back to trying again after recently installing an SSD as my boot drive, doing a clean install of Windows 10, and getting all of my updates and drivers back up.

The games I'm having the most issues with:
-Bioshock (and remastered)
-Bioshock 2 (and remastered)
-Bioshock Infinite
-Wolfenstein: The New Order (janky using either mouse or controller; menus are also sluggish)
-TF2 (not as bad as the others, most of the time, but it's very noticeable with far-off background details)
-The Witcher Enhanced Edition

The games that aren't too bad, but still have issues:
-Half-Life 2 and Episodes
-Left 4 Dead
-Left 4 Dead 2
-Alan Wake
-Portal
-Portal 2
-Amnesia The Dark Descent (has issues, but the blur filter helps to hide it if I'm not looking for it)

Almost flawless:
-Counterstrike: GO
-Half-Life
-Half-Life Source

No issues:
-Ghost of a Tale (looks exactly how it should outside of an occasional loading hiccup that's expected from the engine)

Things I've Tried:
-lowest settings
-combinations of gync/vsync/double buffering/triple buffering/nothing
-combinations of 60/120/144/165Hz on my monitor and in the NVIDIA control panel
-combinations of enhanced pointer precision/Windows 10 mouse speed/Logitech G Hub settings (DPI 50-12000 and report rate 125-1000)/in-game mouse sensitivity settings
-in-game mouse smoothing/acceleration settings
-using the hard mouse pad and soft mouse pad that came included with the powerplay charging pad
-using the G Hub app's surface tuner on both types of pad
-update Windows
-update GPU drivers through Geforce Experience
-OC'ing using various MSI software using the recommended pre-made options
-mouse when wired and when wireless
-different mouse (also Logitech, different model)
-run as adminstrator
-compatibility mode for Windows 7 and 8
-going through dozens (hundreds?) of Google results using various related keywords

It's pretty frustrating coming back to PC gaming after being a primarily a console gamer for the last several years to have it mostly ruined by this one thing. Normally it wouldn't be a problem, but the effect that I'm seeing while using a mouse makes me nauseous. These games are mostly unplayable. I could just stick with my controller, but I do prefer using my mouse for certain games. And there has to be a (hopefully fixable) reason why there's a massive difference in smoothness between my high-end mouse and a controller. Any help would be greatly appreciated; I'm really at a loss as to what else to do now. :(

Last edited:

Ryan_09

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
Dunno if this will help or not, but back at the Dark Souls 3 launch on PC I got bad stuttering. What oddly fixed it for me and I randomly tried was creating a 8GB pagefile on my non-OS drive. Dunno if this will help or not =/
Thanks; giving it a try now. Your non-OS drive was also the one that had DS3 on it, or no? Currently I have Steam on my OS drive, but have my Steam Library in my non-OS drive.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
This morning I got a booster pack for Sunset Overdrive and a few weeks ago I got one for Nier. Not exactly the most popular games right now, but not really bundle fodder either.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
TgMATgl.jpg

I appreciate the performance meters. Haha.
I'm glad it's standard in most of their games. Gears 4 and Forzas have benches like this right? Not real time gameplay ones but in the options at least.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
The problem: certain (most) games are incredibly jittery or stuttering when moving the camera with a mouse. This primarily affects first person games. Another way to describe would be like my games are dropping frames ONLY when the camera is moved using the mouse, but without actually dropping frames. Camera control is perfectly smooth with a an Xbox One controller. It's also fine while strafing with the keyboard.

Have you tried switching USB-port, or using the same mouse on another PC? What DPI settings have you tried?

Instinctively, it sounds like an issue with the polling rate to me. You can test this on a basic level through something like Mouse Movement Recorder from the MarkC fix, which is available here. You can download the zip, extract the MouseMovementRecorder.exe and run it. Make sure to disable enhanced pointer precision in Windows, and then just move around the mouse without touching any edges or corners of the screen. Move it at different speeds. Are you seeing any red/green values and what kind of frequencies are you seeing?

Edit: You can also check your average polling rate through a webtool, which might work just as well as the MMR honestly: https://zowie.benq.com/en/support/mouse-rate-checker.html

If you're using the webtool and move the mouse at a constant speed, what kind of frequencies are you seeing?

Last edited:

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Still can't believe how much they gutted build variety and especially magic in 3, that thing is a shell of a Souls game
I don't think it's that bad! Bloodborne on the other hand, is exeedingly barebones when it comes to build variety and gear in general.

What kind of build do you miss in Dark Souls 3? Magic specifically?

doctorcdcs

Oct 25, 2017
The Campo Santo team still owns Firewatch, but anything going forward is Valve IP, if I recall the news at the time.

On another note, I never thought I'd feel like I missed an opportunity to preorder something on Origin, but trying to get American Mcgee's Alice to run on my htpc is a mess. None of the patches or hd updates for the retail version get 16:9 resolutions to work, at least not so far with my TV. The game is always half off the screen and shoved to the left. And it won't run on win10, so my gaming pc is out of the question.

If only EA sold the preorder 'remastered' version as a stand alone, it would solve a lot of problems. I want to give EA money dammit!

Yeah, I've been trying to find a copy of the origin copy of Alice 1 myself, more for digital completions sake, as I have a physical copy of the game already.

The OG version of Alice doesn't run on Windows 10? Dang, I was hoping to play that soon. Hopefully there's a workaround for it that I can find.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Question, and I need people like Knurek to not be fanboys and be as objective as possible given the subject, as I am grossly over budget on this sale and I can't be "wasting" moneys. With that said:

- I loved 999 and VLR
- I loved Doki Doki
- I'm...liking (I'm not loving it yet) Fata Morgana, quite a bit in fact.

Given I am STILL on the fence when it comes to buying VNs, so, the actual question is:

Since I clearly I only care about "fucked up" VNs (I will never play something like Nekopara for example, no offense to fans of that), are the Unimeko games for me?

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Also, quick question. Enhanced steam no longer have Steamcharts data. Does anyone know if there any forks of the extension that does?

Not a solution to your particular issue (if you simply want to use Enhanced Steam), but I thought I'd let you know: you can use the SteamDB extension to display the number of players on store pages, including a lot of other features. I think it offers a better overview since it's directly visible on every store page, like so.

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So I grabbed the original TIE Fighter game on Steam yesterday and while it works fine graphically, I'm having a lot of issues with the joystick support. The worst part is, even when it works, the game doesn't actually support rudder controls (twist the joystick for example).

Anybody knows if X-Wing Vs TIE Fighter or X-Wing Alliance, both who came out after the original two games, have that support?

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought Monster Hunter World and Witcher 3. Both double dips. Have 'em both on XB1X. I have a shiny new RTX 2080 and kinda wanna see what these game's look and feel like at 4K (or close to it) and 60FPS.

I beat MHW but itching to play again, seems like it received decent post launch content since I last played it? New expansion trailer got me hyped. Anyone pick this up and need a co-op partner?

The Witcher 3 however, I tried to play this sometime last year on XB1X in 4K/30 and while it looked great, I felt the combat + 30fps really felt sluggish and odd. I got about 10 hours in, but kinda just forgot about it. I was kinda liking it, but the combat never felt great. Wondering if being able to play at 60fps locked will make the combat more fun?

Really wanted to pick up FFXV too, the DLSS in the benchmark demo runs fantastic! But it's not on sale, does it ever go on sale on Steam?

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I don't think it's that bad! Bloodborne on the other hand, is exeedingly barebones when it comes to build variety and gear in general.

What kind of build do you miss in Dark Souls 3? Magic specifically?
Magic was nonexistent for half of the game, and just limited in comparison to what you have in 2. Similarly dual wielding was reduced in a big way tho there were still some op builds. Magic reduction aside I think my general disappointment in 3 has taken over all aspects of the game outside of the art lol.

Hong Kong Massacre is really fun but it needed Hotline Miami level gore. You shoot people and they go flying and blood spraying but no gore tsk.

Also my biggest tip for the Witcher 3 Combat because I spent half the game before I realized it is don't roll most of the time but use the dodge instead. Helps you get back in much quicker. Plus always be spraying Agni.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Question, and I need people like Knurek to not be fanboys and be as objective as possible given the subject, as I am grossly over budget on this sale and I can't be "wasting" moneys. With that said:

- I loved 999 and VLR
- I loved Doki Doki

Given I am STILL on the fence when it comes to buying VNs, so, the actual question is:

Since I clearly I only care about "fucked up" VNs (I will never play something like Nekopara for example, no offense to fans of that), are the Unimeko games for me?
I know its not on sale since it just released but I'm playing Chaos;Child right now and it is "fucked up". Haven't finished it yet but I recommend what I've read.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
loving fucked up VNs sounds like a nightmare to me

Well it gives you a wide creepy area to explore and do quests in. You can see monsters from far away and have to figure out how to deal with them instead of just walking into a room and getting jump scared. If you get spotted by one monster they will alert others so it remains tense and feels dangerous. You can go in houses and stuff and explore for optional rewards/story.

If they had managed to make the whole game open world it would have been really impressive.
hmm alright

sounds kinda last of us-y

While mechanically a bit more "normal," EW2 is still very weird conceptually. (Great visuals all over the place, too)

pwrSefk.jpg
oh yeah that's what i want to see

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

- I loved 999 and VLR
- I loved Doki Doki

The solution is to get Steins;Gate as it's pretty amazing (get through first few vanilla hours). I personally found Umineko kind of meh. You could also try Chaos;Child.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017

- I loved 999 and VLR
- I loved Doki Doki

I think so, your tastes pretty much line up with mine and I enjoyed Umineko a lot

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Oh man I had forgotten how hysterical the faces are in the first Dark Souls/presumably Demons. Just blobs.

Wish battletech hadn't gotten rid of the choices from their Shadowrun games but I need to get it whenever I replace my monitor. And finish Pathfinder because that was a crazy surprise for me and in a few months it'll actually be possible to finish it.

Last edited:

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I already bought that + zero
Muv-Luv series is another pretty highly touted VNs. The issue is that the first one is kind of weak, the second one starts getting good and the third one is a blast. You really do need to play all three though.

I also liked Little Busters as that also gets into some heavy shit.

And if course I'd you feel like you haven't felt pretty down lately, Clannad is always an option.

Alternatively, Shenmue 1&2 are kind of a VM with a fighting game engine and forklift driving simulator. ;).

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
New posting it instead of edit because it's really annoying.

Is there a known issue with the steam api and Xbox one controllers via Bluetooth? Every game I play has crazy fast horizontal turning, requiring me to set sensitivity near zero in-game, and I'm wondering if I did something in the settings without realizing.

Also, has Dark Soul's camera always gone much faster when your tilt your right stick diagonally?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Muv-Luv series is another pretty highly touted VNs. The issue is that the first one is kind of weak, the second one starts getting good and the third one is a blast. You really do need to play all three though.

I also liked Little Busters as that also gets into some heavy shit.

And if course I'd you feel like you haven't felt pretty down lately, Clannad is always an option.

Alternatively, Shenmue 1&2 are kind of a VM with a fighting game engine and forklift driving simulator. ;).

I don't want to be a dick here, but I wasnt asking for VN recomendations, I just wanted to know specifically about Unimeko :)

And Shenmue isnt a VN lol, whats next? Skyrim?

Last edited:

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone here have any advice on buying a cheap used PC? I just want a system that can play Fortnite decently. I've been thinking of getting a used pre-built desktop from EBay. Lots of old Dell Optiplex units for sale around $90-120. Comes with 4GB of ram and 100-200GB HDD and a "2nd gen i5."

I know I'll end up having to put in another 4GB of ram and a dedicated GPU like R9 270/280.

Would this be sufficient? Just want to get 60fps at lowest settings.

Is there another avenue or option for getting a cheap PC to run Fortnite?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
It's stupid you can't get the $5 discount (I think) from ordering in big picture mode. I also found out that carts don't transfer between normal and big picture mode.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
loving fucked up VNs sounds like a nightmare to me

hmm alright

sounds kinda last of us-y

Eh...not really. Last of us has predefined encounters to pass through to move to the next area.

EW2 open world parts are more like guy asks you to go get something for him in this open world small town with a grid of streets. Turns out it is near an intersection with a few zombies roaming around. If you make too much noise you will need to find a way to kill them, or you can stealth around and use stuff to distract them.

In the same area there is a detailed train to explore, several houses and buildings to look into, a construction site...some of which are completely optional to finishing the story.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

- I loved 999 and VLR
- I loved Doki Doki

I would also like to bring your attention to Higurashi, a work by same author of Umineko that I find to be superior. I'm not sure if it's fully translated though.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here have any advice on buying a cheap used PC? I just want a system that can play Fortnite decently. I've been thinking of getting a used pre-built desktop from EBay. Lots of old Dell Optiplex units for sale around $90-120. Comes with 4GB of ram and 100-200GB HDD and a "2nd gen i5."

I know I'll end up having to put in another 4GB of ram and a dedicated GPU like R9 270/280.

Would this be sufficient? Just want to get 60fps at lowest settings.

Is there another avenue or option for getting a cheap PC to run Fortnite?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Doesn't really sound like you are getting a good deal tbh. If you are willing to drop 200-300$ on a used prebuilt like that you are probably better off just buying a new one off Newegg (or any other site) for like 400-500$. Save up a bit if you have to. You will get something much better and it will be new. You won't find a good deal right away so probably have to shop around a bit and keep an eye on some sites etc. There is bound to be some good deals soon with tax season and all.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Dug into Vampire the Masquerade tonight. I did the questions to create my character and geared myself to a stealthy, charismatic build. Out came a Nosferatu. So uh...I wanted to be a sexy lady vampire, not a monster. So I redid the questions and got a Toreador. The game is pretty cool so far, like a Deus Ex with vampires and a bit less combat. Arkane (or someone) should do a modern game like this.

Actually, how do you even play as a Nosferatu? Don't people run screaming when you show your face?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Dug into Vampire the Masquerade tonight. I did the questions to create my character and geared myself to a stealthy, charismatic build. Out came a Nosferatu. So uh...I wanted to be a sexy lady vampire, not a monster. So I redid the questions and got a Toreador. The game is pretty cool so far, like a Deus Ex with vampires and a bit less combat. Arkane (or someone) should do a modern game like this.

Actually, how do you even play as a Nosferatu? Don't people run screaming when you show your face?

you roleplay as a shut-in.

You know, like real life.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
m͓̣̝̙̗̣͉͍̓́̀̏͑͐̕ͅa̛̛̜̝͕̦̬͓͒̾͋͌͆̚̚͟l̢̫̘͎͕̺͉̫̱̽̎̓͂͞k̨̛̝̜̠̥̲̯̇̉̈̎̉ã̝͍̞͎̠̟͖̿̿͑̓̓̑̂̚͝v̫͓̗̟̠͚̮̐̐̿͛̅̎ͅḭ̡̼̱̯͕̣͎̝͎̓͊̈͐͂̓͐͝a̸͍̙̺̹͔̱̯̱̓̔͌̽̊͊̐̓n̖͎̪̮̦̬͆̄̂̐̐̇͗ f̸̩̰͉̺͖̅͌̀͗̇͌̍̕ō̷̼͍̩̼͖͛̀̉͌ͅr̺̖͎͕͉͑̅̂̆̾̂̀̏̿͞ ļ̛͚̙̥͇̥͉̥̹̿́̌̌͘i̫̯͚̬͙̤̙̤͌̎̾̅͗͗̾͐̾ͅf̵̞͙̖͖̬̰̮͙͈̻̉̎́͋̈́̉͒͌ȩ̘̙̹͙̱̺̮̜̇̾̃̎͌

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
About to buy the Deluxe Edition of Soul Calibur VI through GMG VIP before the deal ends in the morning. But while apparently my laptop can play it on recommended, I'm still afraid of stuttering.

Plus if I buy it through GMG VIP I can't exactly request a refund if I redeem it on Steam.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

- I loved 999 and VLR
- I loved Doki Doki

I would say yes, it certainly has quite it's fair share of "fucked up" moments, especially in the first half of the episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.