• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razer Game Store is dead, who should go next?

• Epic Store

Votes: 261 38.8%
  • Windows Store

Votes: 156 23.2%
  • Bethesda.Net

Votes: 180 26.8%
  • Origin

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • PSN

Votes: 50 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Question, and I need people like Knurek to not be fanboys and be as objective as possible given the subject, as I am grossly over budget on this sale and I can't be "wasting" moneys. With that said:

- I loved 999 and VLR
- I loved Doki Doki
- I'm...liking (I'm not loving it yet) Fata Morgana, quite a bit in fact.

Given I am STILL on the fence when it comes to buying VNs, so, the actual question is:

Since I clearly I only care about "fucked up" VNs (I will never play something like Nekopara for example, no offense to fans of that), are the Unimeko games for me?
Well, Umineko is way more fucked than any of the games above, but it's more like Doki Doki in some regards, so don't go there if you can't handle animu.
As mentioned earlier, I'd start with Higurashi chapter 1, which is Umineko's author previous work, and might be more up your preferences (also, is way cheaper):

(Just get the fan patch that adds the PS3 voice acting to Steam release)

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Dang I don't know what to do haha. I SHOULD be able to play Soul Calibur VI fine since I have a 1070 on my laptop and the recommended is a 1060, but I've been having some stuttering issues even in games like Age of Mythology and Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning.

I have 10 hours left to decide.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I didn't think Umineko was *that* fucked up, probably because it didn't really have CGs for the especially bad stuff. Now, the descriptions are definitely gruesome...

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Well, Umineko is way more fucked than any of the games above, but it's more like Doki Doki in some regards, so don't go there if you can't handle animu.
As mentioned earlier, I'd start with Higurashi chapter 1, which is Umineko's author previous work, and might be more up your preferences (also, is way cheaper):

(Just get the fan patch that adds the PS3 voice acting to Steam release)

That art style is atrocious :/

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I'd personally warn though on higurashi, much like doki doki, that the beginning of it is SLOOOOW.

Personally I prefer umineko but higurashi is still definitely worth checking out

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, how reliable is this Debloat Windows 10 script on github?

https://github.com/W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10

I really hate the fact that Windows keeps installing CRAP on my PC that I do not need (i.e. Xbox Dashboard, 3D Paint and whatnot, etc.) and I end up using Disk Imaging System Management (DISM) to uninstall any "cruft" that builds every after Windows build update. This in combination with CCleaner have manage to keep my disk space relatively the same as the day I have built my PC, but I really hope that moving forward Microsoft considers creating a (secure) folder where all programs offload and dump their data that we can effectively clear on a whim, as opposed to having separate cache files in the AppData/Users folder and other places like ProgramData.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
That art style is atrocious :/

The fanpatch I linked to can fix that.

I didn't think Umineko was *that* fucked up, probably because it didn't really have CGs for the especially bad stuff. Now, the descriptions are definitely gruesome...

It's not fucked up in a sense of showing gore, but more psychological wise
I mean, systemic child abuse, sexism, two generations of incest, gender dysphoria, bullying, etc

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Guys, how reliable is this Debloat Windows 10 script on github?

https://github.com/W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10

I really hate the fact that Windows keeps installing CRAP on my PC that I do not need (i.e. Xbox Dashboard, 3D Paint and whatnot, etc.) and I end up using Disk Imaging System Management (DISM) to uninstall any "cruft" that builds every after Windows build update. This in combination with CCleaner have manage to keep my disk space relatively the same as the day I have built my PC, but I really hope that moving forward Microsoft considers creating a (secure) folder where all programs offload and dump their data that we can effectively clear on a whim, as opposed to having separate cache files in the AppData/Users folder and other places like ProgramData.

Why do you feel the need to remove these things, if I may ask?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California

I mean, systemic child abuse, sexism, two generations of incest, gender dysphoria, bullying, etc

Ok, yeah, that's definitely true. Now for gore, that's stuff like Muv-Luv and Chaos;Child...

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
999 / VLR werent gory, nor is Fata Morgana really, the goriest part so far was all description based
when "Bestia" is torturing the guy breaking his fingers on the boat
for example, still plenty fucked up. And of course the
double incest
stuff from the first story. Gore is not what I'm expecting when I mention fucked up.

oh it changes the art too? any examples of it?

also is this patch for all 6 eps? if I buy it, I'm buying the bundle, I aint buying just the first one >_>

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
999 / VLR werent gory, nor is Fata Morgana really, the goriest part so far was all description based
when "Bestia" is torturing the guy breaking his fingers on the boat
for example, still plenty fucked up. And of course the
double incest
stuff from the first story. Gore is not what I'm expecting when I mention fucked up.

oh it changes the art too? any examples of it?

also is this patch for all 6 eps? if I buy it, I'm buying the bundle, I aint buying just the first one >_>
1417122108594.png

Left is original, second is Steam, patch is either 3 or 4 (they look similar enough anyway).

Word of warning: Higurashi isn't complete on Steam yet. It has a total of 8 episodes, I think.
I'd go for Umineko, which is complete, or the first 4 episodes of Higurashi (Part 1) and the other 4 when they're out.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Think it's only 6 episodes of Higurashi so far, still 8 more to come? (but I think 6 of those are specials/spinoffs etc)

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
yea yakuza kiwami is kinda rough tbh

yakuza 0 is so engaging with its story and characters and here i feel it kinda falls flat and has no real momentum. all the side stuff feels really filler too since it's usually been just fight some dude, read some dialogue and not much else, and the majima everywhere stuff feels a bit too gta 4 roman-y for my taste

i didn't expected the game to feel so budget, i'm kind of bummed

Eh...not really. Last of us has predefined encounters to pass through to move to the next area.

EW2 open world parts are more like guy asks you to go get something for him in this open world small town with a grid of streets. Turns out it is near an intersection with a few zombies roaming around. If you make too much noise you will need to find a way to kill them, or you can stealth around and use stuff to distract them.

In the same area there is a detailed train to explore, several houses and buildings to look into, a construction site...some of which are completely optional to finishing the story.
oh ok i see

i think i'll end up not buying anything haha, the money i save from the "free" discount amounts to a whopping $1.50 usd and i feel like that's just stores manipulating me into buying shit and that ain't gonna work

instead, i'm gonna buy nendoroids which are way more expensive than $1.50 usd

how do you like that gabe

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
It's for all of the currently available episodes, and will be ported to the #7 and #8 whenever they release on Steam.
Additionally, it translates and ports 5 (so far) console exclusive chapters.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
All this talk about VNs got me to boot up Steins Gate again (on Vita). Thankfully, I only played through the prologue previously so it was relatively easy to settle into again. Seems okay so far. Hoping it picks up a bit though.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Feel free to pull my old Era (or Gaf I guess) posts shitting on VNs, then look at my latest purchases, and proceed to mock me. Ill take it like a big boy.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
All this talk about VNs got me to boot up Steins Gate again (on Vita). Thankfully, I only played through the prologue previously so it was relatively easy to settle into again. Seems okay so far. Hoping it picks up a bit though.

It has a slow start but bear with it, all of it will be relevant in the end.

Last edited:

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Soukou Akki Muramasa is my first fucked up VN and hooooooooly hell that is a wild ride even though I have only played one route.

I am playing a happy VN right now, maybe I will play something fucked up next time. Have been eyeing Erewhon for a long time so maybe it will be my next VN.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Dang I don't know what to do haha. I SHOULD be able to play Soul Calibur VI fine since I have a 1070 on my laptop and the recommended is a 1060, but I've been having some stuttering issues even in games like Age of Mythology and Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning.

I have 10 hours left to decide.
I have an i7 9700K and a GTX 1060 6GB, Soul Calibur VI runs great for me at 1080p, max settings and fullscreen mode (I think it felt a bit stuttery when running in borderless mode, but since I only tried borderless on launch, I'm not really sure anymore).
I even have enough headroom to bump up the resolution scaling to 125.

When it comes to games that have stuttering issues, a few things you could try, assuming that the games are running at the same framerate as your monitor refresh rate without drops:
- If you're using borderless mode, try to switch to fullscreen mode, a few games feel smoother to me in fullscreen than in borderless.
- If you're using RTSS to cap the framerate, try removing the framerate cap there. Despite locking the framerate with RTSS making the frametime a flat line, I've had cases where it results in the game just not feeling smooth.
- Try using RTSS to cap the framerate of the games that feel stuttery. While in some cases capping the framerate with RTSS can result in the game feeling a bit stuttery (from my experience), in other cases it makes the games feel much better.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Soukou Akki Muramasa is my first fucked up VN and hooooooooly hell that is a wild ride even though I have only played one route.

I am playing a happy VN right now, maybe I will play something fucked up next time. Have been eyeing Erewhon for a long time so maybe it will be my next VN.

I love Muramasa. But good lord is it hard to read, especially with all the kenjutsu and oldddd kanji.

But you knowing Chinese might be a benefit in that regard lol.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I love Muramasa. But good lord is it hard to read, especially with all the kenjutsu and oldddd kanji.

But you knowing Chinese might be a benefit in that regard lol.
I read the Chinese fan translation years ago. Yeah, I can imagine it is super difficult to read in original text. I probably can't handle it with my current Japanese level even though we have advantage in reading kanji. The game is also stupidly long too. I remember Hero Route (the only one I read) took me at least 40 hours to complete.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Chaos;Child sure got lots of gore, but the game is really shines with it's psychological horror. While I really haven't read too many VNs, this is the most fucked up one in the twisted sense. Haven't finished it yet though..

Wow, this is not what I expected considering its relationship to Steins;Gate

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, this is not what I expected considering its relationship to Steins;Gate
It's a sort of sequel to Chaos;Head - the series deals pretty much exclusively with psychological horror and is written from a POV of a person with severe mental health issues.
hikikomori/shut-in in case of Head, delusions of grandeur in case of Child

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't PQube's fault, especially since PQube didn't handle the Steam release. If you're gonna blame anyone, blame Mages, because they didn't fix the damn map for either PQube *or* Spike Chunsoft.
But wasn't it PQube that did the localization? Sure, Spije shouldve fixed it in the Steam release but PQube mustve seen it too. Yet they decided to release it.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's exactly it. Not a deal breaker but unfortunate for sure.
I dunno. Maybe lots of Japanese people in the 80s just had very blocky looking facial structures (until you came close to them, then they looked normal again) ? I don't feel the dev should feel pressured to fix what might just be due to historical accuracy.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. Maybe lots of Japanese people in the 80s just had very blocky looking facial structures (until you came close to them, then they looked normal again) ? I don't feel the dev should feel pressured to fix what might just be due to historical accuracy.

Hmm. Or perhaps poor Kiryu is near sighted from being punched around so often. Majima obviously has issues with his sight too. It all makes sense.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
On the last chapter of Last Light, I am glad I played it before Exodus as I am sure it will be tough to go back afterwards. It is a good game but it really made me want to go back and play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I am just a sucker for more open ended games. I know Exodus isnt "open world' but I do hope there is a reason to explore because the world is really interesting.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Nvidia expierence got an update, now I get an error code asking me to restart, dosent fix. Hope I dont have trouble updating the 2080 drivers, with upcoming dlss patches coming for battlefield, metro etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.