• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razer Game Store is dead, who should go next?

• Epic Store

Votes: 261 38.8%
  • Windows Store

Votes: 156 23.2%
  • Bethesda.Net

Votes: 180 26.8%
  • Origin

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • PSN

Votes: 50 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
But I am upgrading from a 970. The new 1660 looks to be a lot cheaper but also much lower performance.
The mid range tier cards:
- GTX 1660 - speculating for it to be slightly better than the GTX 1060, putting it around RX 590 tier or close to it, comes out later next month, but not worth upgrading from a 970.
- GTX 1660 Ti - speculating for it to be around GTX 1070 tier or close to it, rumored to come out in 2 weeks (February 22nd).
- RTX 2060 - GTX 1070 Ti tier.

These 3 have 6GB of VRAM, I could see that maybe becoming an issue even at 1440p in the future, but for 1080p I don't think it'll be a problem anytime soon.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
yiPIt6f.jpg

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
- GTX 1660 - speculating for it to be slightly better than the GTX 1060, putting it around RX 590 tier or close to it, comes out later next month, but not worth upgrading from a 970.
- GTX 1660 Ti - speculating for it to be around GTX 1070 tier or close to it, rumored to come out in 2 weeks (February 22nd).

These 3 have 6GB of VRAM, I could see that maybe becoming an issue even at 1440p in the future, but for 1080p I don't think it'll be a problem anytime soon.

Yea I am leaning towards 2070 or 2080 just for future proofing. I dont care too much about RTX but I plan to go 1440p.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I thought the sale was on for 1 more day. Good thing I grabbed Sekiro before the sale ended. The $4 off was nice. Now just need to get DMCV but I can get that from CD keys closer to release day since there is no worry of Capcom going EGS exclusive for now.

Shit is gonna suck from here on when you are always wondering if the game you like is coming on Steam or not. Does not matter much to me since I never day one most games but could still not do with that hanging over every big or popular game now.

DeejayDoom

Oct 25, 2017
Had to block 4 people on my friend list because they got hacked and started spamming the usual phishing link. There's also a post on Reddit and other forums. This time even some people with like 8-9k games got caught. Been months since i saw a wave that big.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm going to ride out my 970 until it falls apart. It still goes strong and I've not got the money to upgrade...

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Yea I am leaning towards 2070 or 2080 just for future proofing. I dont care too much about RTX but I plan to go 1440p.
Yeah, the 2070 should be plenty for 1440p for quite a while (except for RTX).

On another note, trying to speculate how much faster the newer cards are than the GTX 970, basing myself a bit on ComputerBase's performance rating 1440p chart in the GTX 1080 Ti Review:
QIOj3GX.jpg

- GTX 1660: +20~30%?
- GTX 1660 Ti: +45~55%?
- RTX 2060: +70~80%?
- RTX 2070: +95%~105%?
- RTX 2080: +145~155%?

These are just very uncertain guesses (and based on an old review to boot), but kinda trying to give an idea of how much better each of them would be over the reference GTX 970.

Last edited:

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017

Is there going to be a midtier card in the Radeon VII line to go against the 2070/2060? I just can't afford as much future proofing as a 2070 or 2080 would provide, as my machine would bottleneck in the CPU department which would require an entirely new build

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the shooting in Dark Athena is awful. Riddick is made of paper and anything other than a headshot on enemies is like hitting them with a BB gun. Add some really weird aiming issues (trying to shoot around cover and aim assist that gets stuck, for example) and the game is really frustrating. I've changed locations so maybe it will get better.

The completely unnecessarily grim story doesn't help

Yes, let's allow the completely disgusting dude who repeatedly says he's going to kill a woman and rape her dead body to sneak up behind her and kill her while she is helping Riddick get out of a vent (which he normally just kicks open) and her small child is watching.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Is there going to be a midtier card in the Radeon VII line to go against the 2070/2060? I just can't afford as much future proofing as a 2070 or 2080 would provide, as my machine would bottleneck in the CPU department which would require an entirely new build
No idea really, AMD's Navi architecture which will replace the RX 500 series seems to have been delayed to Q4, based on rumors that have been appearing today.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Good thing Anthem looks terrible and will be dropped by 80% of the player base within a month
Man, the shooting in Dark Athena is awful. Riddick is made of paper and anything other than a headshot on enemies is like hitting them with a BB gun. Add some really weird aiming issues (trying to shoot around cover and aim assist that gets stuck, for example) and the game is really frustrating. I've changed locations so maybe it will get better.

The completely unnecessarily grim story doesn't help

Yes, let's allow the completely disgusting dude who repeatedly says he's going to kill a woman and rape her dead body to sneak up behind her and kill her while she is helping Riddick get out of a vent (which he normally just kicks open) and her small child is watching.
Damn, never finished the Dark Athena story or played more than a tiny bit and uh, does anything come after that in terms of a they get theirs scenario? Got to love when a game forgets their mechanics to let something terrible and gross happen tho.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, never finished the Dark Athena story or played more than a tiny bit and uh, does anything come after that in terms of a they get theirs scenario? Got to love when a game forgets their mechanics to let something terrible and gross happen tho.

Well

you get to kill the guy before he can get his necrophilia on, so there's that

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Someone should ask him if he's willing to commit to public record an assurance that the cut will not be increased in the future to compensate for changes such as absorbing payment processing fees.

My theory is that current 12% is enough to cover expenses without profit. If we take his own words he said that 8% is enough for their expenses. We know that 5% is needed to cover all payment fees by his words 1% is for expanding platform, let's say that additional 1% is needed for other employees dedicated to store, if we add at least 2% for server and bandwidth costs we are already above their 8% and getting dangerously close to that magic 12%.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Can you use a Dual Shock 4 on PC/Steam wirelessly? Or does it need to be connected with USB-C?
You can either use bluetooth, or travel back in time and buy a Wireless Adaptor, like I did (the buying part, not time travelling). Unfortunately, Sony isn't making new ones, so they go for like 60$, at least where I'm am at, used to cost half that.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
My theory is that current 12% is enough to cover expenses without profit. If we take his own words he said that 8% is enough for their expenses. We know that 5% is needed to cover all payment fees by his words 1% is for expanding platform, let's say that additional 1% is needed for other employees dedicated to store, if we add at least 2% for server and bandwidth costs we are already above their 8% and getting dangerously close to that magic 12%.
Nah, I think their initial "thoughts" on the shop where a 5% "profit" cut that would make it so that even if games were bought from the "influencers" during the first two years, they would not lose money.

They basically said their costs were 5-8% on normal game sales.
From normal sales, we know that card costs are 2-5%, which aligns with the uncertity values they have. For payment methods that cost more, they probably take only 5% and move the rest to the consumer.
Add their "1%" on improvement on the shop and general maintenance (AKA all the work done by humans). For now, it seems they have a skeleton crew (at least on the shop side, with maybe more people on the legal side to account for legal issues for adding new currencies) as Galy seems to have taken way too many tasks and the development of new features being... Slow to say the least (their offline mode is basically a work around that tells the launcher you are online manually instead of a proper development).
And 2% on the server side. (No idea about the costs of this, but I assume they thought they could leverage Fortnite load to get cheaper prices).

Now, this is my guess on their napkin calculations, and even at a 5% profit range, they might as well step back and think...

Is it really better for me to do this or can I make the same out of the Unreal Engine games that launch on Steam.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, I think their initial "thoughts" on the shop where a 5% "profit" cut that would make it so that even if games were bought from the "influencers" during the first two years, they would not lose money.

They basically said their costs were 5-8% on normal game sales.
From normal sales, we know that card costs are 2-5%, which aligns with the uncertity values they have. For payment methods that cost more, they probably take only 5% and move the rest to the consumer.
Add their "1%" on improvement on the shop and general maintenance (AKA all the work done by humans). For now, it seems they have a skeleton crew (at least on the shop side, with maybe more people on the legal side to account for legal issues for adding new currencies) as Galy seems to have taken way too many tasks and the development of new features being... Slow to say the least (their offline mode is basically a work around that tells the launcher you are online manually instead of a proper development).
And 2% on the server side. (No idea about the costs of this, but I assume they thought they could leverage Fortnite load to get cheaper prices).

Now, this is my guess on their napkin calculations, and even at a 5% profit range, they might as well step back and think...

Is it really better for me to do this or can I make the same out of the Unreal Engine games that launch on Steam.

I used 5% for payment fees under assumption that all is paid by Epic and not transferred to customers. So i still think that their costs are closer to 12% than to 8%. And we already know that Patreon is not sustainable with 10% that has way less bandwidth and users than Steam, not to mention features. So i would really like to see Tim or anybody from Epic show how will they be sustainable in the long run with 12%.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Stupid question, but is there a simple way to use the DS4 on Windows Store titles?
Let's say I want to sub for one month to Game Pass to play Crackdown 3, can I use my pad without messing with my system?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stupid question, but is there a simple way to use the DS4 on Windows Store titles?
Let's say I want to sub for one month to Game Pass to play Crackdown 3, can I use my pad without messing with my system?

DS4 Windows or similar programs that trick the PC into thinking it's a 360 controller.

There is a way IIRC to add Windows Store games to Steam (and thus use Steam's controller stuff) but it was annoying and complicated last I checked (and might not even work anymore).

Status
Not open for further replies.