• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razer Game Store is dead, who should go next?

• Epic Store

Votes: 261 38.8%
  • Windows Store

Votes: 156 23.2%
  • Bethesda.Net

Votes: 180 26.8%
  • Origin

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • PSN

Votes: 50 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
DS4 Windows or similar programs that trick the PC into thinking it's a 360 controller.

There is a way IIRC to add Windows Store games to Steam (and thus use Steam's controller stuff) but it was annoying and complicated last I checked (and might not even work anymore).
Does DS4 Windows mess up with Steam?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I used 5% for payment fees under assumption that all is paid by Epic and not transferred to customers. So i still think that their costs are closer to 12% than to 8%. And we already know that Patreon is not sustainable with 10% that has way less bandwidth and users than Steam, not to mention features. So i would really like to see Tim or anybody from Epic show how will they be sustainable in the long run with 12%.

I just said napking calculations and what their initial thoughts were!! I am just talking from their PR speech, even if I personally believe their profitability range is smaller (because they miscalculated costs of management the store and payment fees).

We know that Humble Bundle takes 15% to make a "decent" profit, and it doesnt have any of the extra functions that Steam has and not is not even close to the costs in servers (yes, they might have a ton of content to download, but I am sure most of their use is as key sellers).

I could see Epic being profitable at 12%.... but at what cost? If their range is lower than 5%, they would be losing potential money on each game that uses Unreal Engine when compared to Steam Store, as well as anything below 5% could be a really small RoI once you consider all the costs of maintenance and upkeep (would the money be better invested in other markets?).

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Stupid question, but is there a simple way to use the DS4 on Windows Store titles?
Let's say I want to sub for one month to Game Pass to play Crackdown 3, can I use my pad without messing with my system?
It *should* be possibly to go the the Steam Controller settings, select Desktop Configuration -> Browse Configs -> Templates -> Gamepad.
That basically makes your Desktop controller configuration a regular Gamepad and you should be able to use your controller everywhere without adding games to Steam.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm THIS close to trying out the Ace Attorney games lol. But I keep holding off by first waiting for a Wii U version, then a 3DS version, then a PS4 version, and now a Switch version haha.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I'm THIS close to trying out the Ace Attorney games lol. But I keep holding off by first waiting for a Wii U version, then a 3DS version, then a PS4 version, and now a Switch version haha.

There's a Steam release soon. :")

Why doesn't the Ace Attorney trilogy have a release date anyways, it's supposed to release early this year.

It does in Japan. Nothing yet for West hence why I guess no PC release date in Japan. Should be Spring, which is the release date for the PC version in Japan.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks everyone! Good to hear.

It works immediately when connected to USB-C, but I can't get it connected using bluetooth in Windows 10. :/
My Bluetooth is working fine for other devices.

I am holding the PS and Options button until the light flashes (it stops flashing after a second) and/whilst clicking on the 'Add Bluetooth or other device' window.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I just said napking calculations and what their initial thoughts were!! I am just talking from their PR speech, even if I personally believe their profitability range is smaller (because they miscalculated costs of management the store and payment fees).

We know that Humble Bundle takes 15% to make a "decent" profit, and it doesnt have any of the extra functions that Steam has and not is not even close to the costs in servers (yes, they might have a ton of content to download, but I am sure most of their use is as key sellers).

I could see Epic being profitable at 12%.... but at what cost? If their range is lower than 5%, they would be losing potential money on each game that uses Unreal Engine when compared to Steam Store, as well as anything below 5% could be a really small RoI once you consider all the costs of maintenance and upkeep (would the money be better invested in other markets?).

As far as i know Epic uses AWS so we could maybe get rough idea how much it costs them to run Fortnite for example. But yeah it really is questionable how much is really worth for them to run Store.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I doubt it. I bought GTA 5 3 times (360, PS4, PC) I'm sure they are counting on people like me. Though I never bought RDR2.... yet
I was mostly being facetious, but I do think GTA V was an outlier in this regard. I'd argue there's substantially less incentive to re-purchase console games on PC today compared to back in 2013, considering the next generation was just around the corner and people were tired of 8 year old technology.

But I'm curious, was that investment worth it for you? Did you do it for technical reasons and/or due to playing with friends?

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
So Final Fantasy XV is by far the biggest game right at 166 gbs with the 4K texture dlc? Next one I have in my library is Hitman 2 at around 110 but that's two games with great textures.

Xplane too but that's a super niche simulator

Last edited:

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Does DS4 Windows mess up with Steam?

No, but it can collide with the Steam Input API if you're using that while playing a game via Steam. And if a game already supports Dualshock 4 having DS4 Windows running will result in double input!

It works immediately when connected to USB-C, but I can't get it connected using bluetooth in Windows 10. :/

I am holding the PS and Options button until the light flashes (it stops flashing after a second) and/whilst clicking on the 'Add Bluetooth or other device' window.

So you can't pair them at all? The controller should be visible in the list of devices when you've pressed PS + Options (Edit: Share, not Options, right?)

354467452457628t7khq.png

Last edited:

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
So it appears I completely made the wrong decision is buying this HP 690-0009 pc (https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05996506) on black Friday in terms of being able to upgrade the gpu as the 310W PSU is custom to the system and isn't upgradeable as far as I can tell.

Short of maybe getting a new motherboard and case which seems complicated and pricey, I guess I'm stuck with the 1050 ti that came with it?

SSPssp

Oct 25, 2017
So it appears I completely made the wrong decision is buying this HP 690-0009 pc (https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05996506) on black Friday in terms of being able to upgrade the gpu as the 310W PSU is custom to the system and isn't upgradeable as far as I can tell.

Short of maybe getting a new motherboard and case which seems complicated and pricey, I guess I'm stuck with the 1050 ti that came with it?

Nvidia should be coming out with a 1150 Ti or whatever they call it soon so thats your best bet. Otherwise yeah, a lot of manufacturer stuff is custom so its tough.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017

Listen to that majestic music! Damnit, why isn't this on Spotify, gargh. Guess I'll just listen to it on youtube at work.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
My theory is that current 12% is enough to cover expenses without profit. If we take his own words he said that 8% is enough for their expenses. We know that 5% is needed to cover all payment fees by his words 1% is for expanding platform, let's say that additional 1% is needed for other employees dedicated to store, if we add at least 2% for server and bandwidth costs we are already above their 8% and getting dangerously close to that magic 12%.

You won't know unless you see financials. Businesses often operate areas at a loss or with no profit for years to gain market share.

Depending on how the company is structured these losses can be categorized as investments.

You all should know 2 well known companies that have done this for years and basically made it their business model as they continue to grow.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

PS+Share button is what you want.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
If I actually thought video game music was worth listening to on its own out of context I'd be ecstatic

That's me. Also don't care for listening to movie soundtracks outside of movies.

A 1060 shouldn't be a problem. At least one that isn't oc'd.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
You won't know unless you see financials. Businesses often operate areas at a loss or with no profit for years to gain market share.

Depending on how the company is structured these losses can be categorized as investments.

You all should know 2 well known companies that have done this for years and basically made it their business model as they continue to grow.
The main problem with that idea is that the end goal is obtaining profitability through the bigger marketshare (economies of scale) or by bullying competition to go under and finally achiving profitability. Other companies have done that to try and gain mainstream share thought before a big technological disruption event to be better prepared (what Uber is trying to do right now).

In gaming, that loss leader model has been completely fazed out after the bloodbath that was last gen. It just made no sense to lose that much money (and mostly it was just basically remodelling their hardware to be more of the shelf pieces because they finally put sensible people in front of engineering).

(but yes, forgot to add that into my thought train)

I am unsure what Epic idea is entering this market. I could see it more clearly if they had also tried to enter into the mobile market simultaneously (which I guess they tried to but no carrier decided to preinstall their shop so they dropped the idea because it would be stupid waste of money), but so far their main technical advantage would be destroyed if they later on changed it to achieve profitability (their main pitch being 12% to devs), and even if some of their costs would decrease with time (due to better technology both from servers and in payment methods), it would still be a huge investment in a small market (and even smaller benefits from games that use their engine).

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
Nvidia should be coming out with a 1150 Ti or whatever they call it soon so thats your best bet. Otherwise yeah, a lot of manufacturer stuff is custom so its tough.
I had no idea NVidia was releasing another mid tier GPU without ray tracing, so this could be great news as long as it's not much more than the 75W's that the 1050 ti uses. I'll keep an eye out for whenever it gets officially announced, thanks!

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
No difference in power draw. Also check reviews when the 1160 (Ti) releases (there's also a 1650 coming).
That's good to know, though looking online it appears the 1060 is 45 watts higher than the 1050 ti and I would assume my current setup is pretty close to the 310w limit?

I apologize for the questions as my pc knowledge is somewhat limited in areas like this.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This looks cool. Early Access, but the campaign is complete, the idea is just to balance things / bug fix and work on a hard mode. Appears to have a roadmap to launch in April.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

Omega 2 theme for some good old FFV nostalgia

Too bad OnionSoldier took down all their videos to reupload them eventually. Their videos were extremely high quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.