• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's official: A lot of people hated episode 5 of the final season of Game of Thrones. About half of those who have weighed in on it, so far.

At least that seems like the takeaway from the episode's current Rotten Tomatoes rank of just 49 percent—not "fresh."

(via Maxim)

Additionally, I want to point out:
The idea that Game of Thrones is only receiving hate from "vocal minorities on the internet", or that its ending is "controversial like The Sopranos or Breaking Bad" (actual things people have said) is unfounded. At this point it's clear that the larger consensus on the show's final season is that it has dropped the ball.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just wonder what triggered the downfall since there has been some real stinker episodes in seasons 6-7.
Speaking for myself, I was willing to put up with the rush earlier once it seemed like they were trying to get to a point. Now that it is clear there was no point, and all we got out of this was a compromised ending, I have a lot of latent resentment brewing over.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People on this forum were equating not liking the new season's writing to Gamergate a few days ago.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
It was straight garbage, deserved. I went into it having read the leaks and with extremely low expectations, and I was still disappointed

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Biggest take away from this thread is that Maxim is still a thing.

Rotten Tomatoes is enough to show that the critical community is split. Citing IMDB and Youtube is useless.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
It is important to note that these aren't just fans, actual critics thought it was terrible.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Don't worry..we'll probably have the same headline next week ...going by the current trajectory

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I just wonder what triggered the downfall since there has been some real stinker episodes in seasons 6-7.

Because people were willing to accept bad episodes earlier on because they were expecting a great payoff with the end. Instead, it was a lot of misdirection and smoke screens for the fantastic thing called SUBVERTING EXPECTATIONS.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
It was clear from the start of the season that this was doomed from the number of episodes they had to close things out.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

Since season 5, the writers have only been capable of writing to big moments with next to no build up. Season 7 went into overdrive converging characters and cutting storylines, making characters fly across continents in a single episode to do dumb things so those big moments could happen. meanwhile any subtlety went out with the book content as characters literally TELL each other how we should be percieving them now.

Did you know Sansa is the smartest person Tyrion knows now? We had to stumble through a sloppy and completely illogical arya/Sansa fight last season because they wanted to shock us with the little finger execution by her. Stuff like that is now the norm.

It was all easier to swallow when there were other storyline that weren't dropping the ball as hard as long as the amazing production values continued. But as I said above, everything converged and storyline dropped leaving characters to fart around next to each other. There is only 1 storyline now, and its just so disappointing to see it end this way

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
At this point my enjoyment from watching comes from seeing how hard they drop the ball. Bring on the dumpster fire of a finale!

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The episode was not good, but I don't think it deserves the title of worst reviewed episode. Cinematography alone pushes it up some points.

Worst episode should go to Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken easily.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It was clear from the start of the season that this was doomed from the number of episodes they had to close things out.

Yup by now its painfully obvious to everyone this season is just a mad dash of checking off bullet points to reach the end as quickly as showrunners could.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
People on this forum were equating not liking the new season's writing to Gamergate a few days ago.

tumblr_mq2pc46NTv1spet47o1_400.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I think people were willing to forgive the flaws in Season 7 because it was heading to an outcome that people desired. When Season 8 revealed that outcome, people were no longer willing to forgive those narrative flaws. At least in my group.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking for myself, I was willing to put up with the rush earlier once it seemed like they were trying to get to a point. Now that it is clear there was no point, and all we got out of this was a compromised ending, I have a lot of latent resentment brewing over.

Yep. Echoing my feelings on the matter. I was disappointed, but I felt it could still be justified if they really came through with the last season.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You thought they were going to put out another season of critically acclaimed TV, but they subverted your expectations by putting out dog shit instead.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
When Cersei blew up the Sept and literally nothing happened on a macro scale and relatively minor micro scale ramifications (Tommen) was the precise moment for me. I've just been hanging out to get the broad strokes as understood by the showrunners since.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When Cersei blew up the Sept and literally nothing happened on a macro scale and relatively minor micro scale ramifications (Tommen) was the precise moment for me. I've just been hanging out to get the broad strokes as understood by the showrunners since.
For me the exact moment is the Beyond the Wall episode, which was written on par with the worst tripe that The Walking Dead puts out.

Very clearly, D&D knew the broad strokes they need to hit, but had no idea how to get there, and we got this mess of contrivances as a result.

Jan 31, 2018
If you have any emotional investment in the series or the characters themselves, then yeah, it's awful. It's not the conclusions themselves that are necessarily problematic, it's the build up to them, or rather the complete lack thereof.

If you're just here for spectacle then I'm not surprised if you still think it's okay because that part is still good.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Technically speaking, this episode was better than the fourth episode. Sapochnik directed a horror masterpiece that was aided with brilliant music and outstanding acting (with a special mention to Emilia Clarke). But the script failed absolutely everyone and collapsed any chance of the ending being anywhere near as satisfactory as people hoped. So I can see why it is being dragged. Poor Sapochnik and Djawadi though.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Same, but that's not saying a whole lot. Episode 4 was a travesty.

Episode 5 was a fantastic feet for Television in terms of production and how it looked. It had tons of beutiful shots, and the DP should be insanely proud. If the story stood up with that amount, we would be calling it the best TV episode of all time. Instead, it is like all other hollywood movies that look amazing but stink with story.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
episode was the best one in the season (even if the season as a whole has been pretty bad), so it's a little undeserved

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i just love how people here kept saying its actually good that the night king died because the show can return to politics and intrigue for its final episodes lmao

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Seeing these ratings just reinforces my hatred for S5 and how that was a highly regarded season critically speaking. The ratings the show is getting now should have been the standard literally 3 seasons ago.

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It just feels like dogpiling at this point. There's no way in hell 5 is worse than 4. 8.4 deserves the mantle alongside 20 good men. 8.5 fucked the Lannister/Euron arcs but was amazing spectacle, Emilia's best acting, and overall above average for this show.

I don't see how anyone really thinks this is the worst out of 70+ episodes. It's hard to see this as anything but people wanting to pile on, even granting the glaring flaws.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
"You only hate that Arya took out the Night King because you're a misogynist who hates women"
Ah that's a misrepresentation/straw man if I ever saw one. People were saying she has a believable amount of experience and skill as an assassin to even attempt it. Jon had his chance and blew it like an idiot, and people were still bitching he didn't get his deserved duel he was entitled to or wrote some horrible fan fiction version of what would have satisfied them. It got to the point they were using cinematic effects for that scene as logistic proof of their complaints. GoT fans that have taken such personal affront to the show are embarrassing. Morrigan has been a critic of the show since it started and even she was starting to get uneasy with the 'Arya shouldn't have been the one' shit.