• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
just a bit of trivia i wanted to share that comes from yoshida's books https://drive.google.com/file/d/117EBap9Koo2U1EqSPbf7KVeBgg_gdkBd/view

Naoki Yoshida, Hiroshi Takai, and Kazutoyo Maehiro were working on a new IP before being sent to fix FF14 in an emergency. This IP was one year into production, and they considered it as basically Bloodborne before Bloodborne

unknown.png

The game was supposed to have multiplayer elements, 4 vs 1, where the player killer would have strong powers and attempt to kill the four others

unknown.png

Not only that, but it had the people who are currently working on FF16 today

unknown.png

Naoki Yoshida, obviously, as a producer
Hiroshi Takai, who is the director of Final Fantasy XVI
Kazutoyo Maehiro, 90% sure he's writing for FF16
Akihiko Yoshida is not working on FF16, but he's replaced by Kazuya Takahashi, who has big Yoshida vibes in his art style

What I mean is, FFXVI is potentially inspired by this first draft they had of a dark fantasy game that they can finally make but under the banner of FF. Not only that, but they were working on an hardcore action game, and they hired a DMC5 designer to work on the combat.

Basically, these are people who have similar tastes in making dark fantasy or medieval fantasy games. So it seems they have a very different vision of Final Fantasy overall.

they were also working on an hardcore action game, and they got a DMC5 battle designer for FF16's combat, so the action is still a big part

giphy.gif

not saying it''s inspired for sure, but it seems they have a specific taste they want to tap into. Not to mention Maehiro, Yoshida and Minagawa had previously worked on Vagrant Story and FF Tactics before which was a darker vibe than most FF games. Not to mention things like how Joshua is the same name and appearance as Joshua from Vagrant Story as an overt reference. Food for thought.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I was going to mention Vagrant Story but you beat me to it. I always got Vagrant Story vibes from Bloodbourne (the world, not the gameplay) so that makes sense.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Lol can you imagine. They would've launched it as derivative because Bloodborne would've overshadowed it.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It is theorized that this cancelled IP was rebooted into a mobile game called BLOODMASQUE, but it was done by entirely other people as the team was sent to the FF14 mines and turning it into the success we know today

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
the book has a lot of really interesting stuff in it, it's a collection of translations of a column he writes in famitsu - it's worth a read if you've got the time (it's not terribly long, link's in the OP)

man loves bidets, let me tell you

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
There is a TON of interesting info in that google drive file. Needless to say, it really makes me even more excited for FF XVI.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
Y'all have seen how Yoshi-P dresses right? Not surprised lol. My FFXVI hype is already at max so I will use this as a little bit of fuel too :)

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, so it was in dev hell.
Lost of unfinished games look super awesome before they end up on the shelf.
I'd even go so far as to say that most release games have potential to be the best things ever before harsh reality come crashing the dream.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
I'd even go so far as to say that most release games have potential to be the best things ever before harsh reality come crashing the dream.
What? I am pretty sure this means that it was a GAAS type game and they expect they would be developing for it still like they are doing for FFXIV even after 10 years.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
it wasn't, the project had to stop only one year in because the leads were sent to fix FFXIV as a company wide emergency so they never got far enough to have a dev hell situation.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
What? I am pretty sure this means that it was a GAAS type game and they expect they would be developing for it still like they are doing for FFXIV even after 10 years.
I took it as they wouldn't have finished initial development when the interview was done, i tend to forget Gaas is a thing at times.
it wasn't, the project had to stop only one year in because the leads were sent to fix FFXIV as a company wide emergency so they never got far enough to have a dev hell situation.
so it was still very early then.
I misread that quote.
I guess they were the only ones "available" to save that XIV trainwreck so that early project had to be dropped.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Would have loved to see A. Yoshida's take on a gothic action game. Something like Callo Merlose from Vagrant Story but more elaborate.

Jardim

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 7, 2021
I Mean, Brotherhood of the Wolf was Bloodborne before Bloodborne, concepts for games are very similar all the time.

The execution is what matters, even if they released at the same day they would probably be very different games.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
While FF XVI is part of an ongoing series, it basically amounts to a new IP in everything but name, so I'm glad they're finally able to have that chance.

As in, FF XIV will likely remain as the most meaningful, beloved and important thing they'll ever tackle, but it must be very cool to be able to conceptualise everything in a game from its very onset without having to salvage an existing project in the interim. Especially since you get to apply FF tenets and basically have your idea of what a game in that series could be.

The asynchronous/multi aspect of this cancelled project doesn't encite me that much (unless the main focus was a single-player/narrative thing), but I'd love to see what they managed to produce conceptually and artistically.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
It is theorized that this cancelled IP was rebooted into a mobile game called BLOODMASQUE, but it was done by entirely other people as the team was sent to the FF14 mines and turning it into the success we know today

I'd say it's more than a theory, tbh. Yoshida has said that when he moved to FF14 he handed his remaining projects over to Ryutaro Ichimura... and Bloodmasque was produced by Ichimura. It was also written by Kazutoyo Maehiro, who we also know was working on the game this thread is about. And the timelines match up.

A real FF lore hound bud of mine wrote a bit about this in a broader article that's a profile of FF16 Director Hiroshi Takai, looking at his history and therefore what sort of FF he might deliver: https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/10355-who-is-final-fantasy-xvi-director-hiroshi-takai-

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't check the original source but the article that sent me here (Era > internet > Era strikes again) mentioned that this was supposed to be a 4v1 multiplayer game.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This one, which later became a mobile game, right?

jpg

I wonder how much of this will be infused in XVI.

Anyway, it's a good feeling when a bunch of people who were taken off a project to become some sort of Suicide Squad for a failing game where able to turn the tides so much that they made the most successful FF of the past year, and now are able to re-purpose their old project in a new one that now is part of the mainline FF saga to boot.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Just wanna say, thanks Dreamboum for sharing the translation of the book. I've consumed quite a lot of material surrounding the 2.0 revival, but it's been fascinating to read about Yoshi-P's first-hand accounts.

And boy, if anyone wants to get more excited about FFXVI, they should read this whole thing.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
its like this team was destined for greatness or some shit

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would have thought this team would be immune to project cancellations considering their good reputation and track record

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'd say it's more than a theory, tbh. Yoshida has said that when he moved to FF14 he handed his remaining projects over to Ryutaro Ichimura... and Bloodmasque was produced by Ichimura. It was also written by Kazutoyo Maehiro, who we also know was working on the game this thread is about. And the timelines match up.

A real FF lore hound bud of mine wrote a bit about this in a broader article that's a profile of FF16 Director Hiroshi Takai, looking at his history and therefore what sort of FF he might deliver: https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/10355-who-is-final-fantasy-xvi-director-hiroshi-takai-

Great article. He really did a great job with the Saga games and him being a wrestling fan made a lot of sense. The wya the hand-to-hand combat moves looked were probably the best of that era.

The part about Takai camera makes so much sense. I thought the way the battles were frame in FFXIV videos looked familiar but I was never able figure out why lol

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Turns out every single one of them but Akihiko Yoshida are involved on FF16

Crazy how things turned out a decade later