• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you consider Die Hard a Christmas film?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
The Christmas setting and the fact that it tends to be shown around Christmas on UK TV make it a Christmas film in my eyes.

Watching Die Hard 1 or 2 near Christmas is a tradition for me. Have the Blu Rays, so planning on watching 2 on Christmas Eve.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's no less Christmas than all that Hallmark dreck about a high-stakes businessman who revitalizes a small-town's dying industry because the lady who teaches at the trade school that feeds into it gives him pants feels
This is such an accurate description of nearly every Christmas themed Hallmark/Lifetime movie. I'm dying.

Nov 1, 2017
I view Die Hard so much as a Christmas movie if it was possible I'd have a miniature Hans Gruber figure hanging from the tree as if he was falling.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
Does it matter what people say when the writer or director said he felt it was a Christmas movie?

I read an article where they interviewed him and he flat out said it's a Christmas movie.

Or at least that's what I remember.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
People (well, that 1-in-5 based on the poll) in here probably think Home Alone isn't a Christmas movie either smdh. I don't even dare ask about National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It is absolutely a Christmas movie. It takes place on Christmas Eve, Christmas is a theme throughout, it's ultimately a feel good story about one cop finding redemption and forgiveness and another saving his marriage. That it's an action film is beside the point. A Christmas movie doesn't have to be some cornball romantic comedy or large muscular Austrian man looking for a toy. People can get shot in a Christmas film. And they did, many times, in the greatest Christmas movie ever made: Die Hard.

Leithkorias

Oct 27, 2017
I love all these garbage Facebook polls that never seem to have polled anyone that anyone actually knows. Does anyone know someone who was asked about die hard?? Yet our poll is wildly different in the exact opposite way. 🤔

NFinity

Oct 25, 2017
I would bet that everyone who says it is not a Christmas movie would agree that is it appropriate to watch during Christmas time. The problem is there are people voting yes, simply because they like to watch it during Christmas time.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Its a Christmas movie and you'll never be able to take that away from me. I'll argue that one to my grave

Deleted member 15125

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've only seen Die Hard once, but I don't think of it as a Christmas movie because there aren't enough memorable/iconic scenes revolving around Christmas. In fact, "I have a machine gun ho ho ho!" is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Feel free to call it a Christmas movie, but you'd have to be pretty daft to suggest that it's as Chistmas-y as A Charlie Brown Christmas, A Christmas Story, Grinch, or many, many other films.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
This is such an accurate description of nearly every Christmas themed Hallmark/Lifetime movie. I'm dying.

I thought Hallmark was a company that made really crappy Christmas cards. If that were my standard for a Christmas film I don't think I could imagine a film awful enough to qualify.

I would bet that everyone who says it is not a Christmas movie would agree that is it appropriate to watch during Christmas time. The problem is there are people voting yes, simply because they like to watch it during Christmas time.

All that shows is that there are people in existence who think there's a serious difference between films that are appropriate to watch at Christmas and this mythological class of "Christmas films", which excludes films such as Die Hard for some reason.

Oct 26, 2017
Well, these dumb schmucks can go fuck themselves.
giphy.gif

NFinity

Oct 25, 2017
All that shows is that there are people in existence who think there's a serious difference between films that are appropriate to watch at Christmas and this mythological class of "Christmas films", which excludes films such as Die Hard for some reason

A Christmas movie is a movie expected to be watched only at Christmas time, but not all movies that are expected to be watched at Christmas time are Christmas movies.

Die Hard is set at Christmas so it is expected to be watched at Christmas, but I think it's a movie that's really expected to be watched any time of year, but if you want to limit it to Christmas time ......

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
By unanimous RESETERA decision I have been declared KING OF CHRISTMAS.

AS KING

I hearby decree that DIE HARD is forever known as A CHRISTMAS MOVIE

ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE: REJOICE IN THE LIGHT OF CHRISTMAS! 🌲🌲🎄🎄🌲🌲

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Christmas is about family traditions and so forth and in my family we watch fucking die hard for Christmas so yeh it's a fucking Christmas movie to me.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Does this have any themes in line with a Christmas movie? It's always seemed to me like an internet meme that people embraced semi-ironically after the fact rather than it really being a thing. Is Iron Man 3 a Christmas movie as well?

By comparison, Home Alone at least has the themes to make it past that bar because at the heart of the film is sort of a twist on "It's a Wonderful Life" where instead of Kevin seeing how everyone would be if he was never around, he makes the wish for his family to never be there and then he sees how it would be to really be forgotten and them to not be around for Christmas.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
A Christmas movie is a movie expected to be watched only at Christmas time, but not all movies that are expected to be watched at Christmas time are Christmas movies.

Die Hard is set at Christmas so it is expected to be watched at Christmas, but I think it's a movie that's really expected to be watched any time of year, but if you want to limit it to Christmas time ......

As I said, Die Hard can only be excluded from the class of Christmas films if you apply arbitrary and nonsensical rules like "must be a film nobody wants to watch except at Christmas." What kind of garbage would that be? It would have to be an awful film.

NFinity

Oct 25, 2017
As I said, Die Hard can only be excluded from the class of Christmas films if you apply arbitrary and nonsensical rules like "must be a film nobody wants to watch except at Christmas." What kind of garbage would that be? It would have to be an awful film.

You can watch any film any time of the year you want too, but a Christmas film is not expected, you know out of the norm, to be watched outside of Christmas time. I think Die Hard as a year-the-round film, but for some reason you "yes" voters want to limit it to Christmas time.

NFinity

Oct 25, 2017
You aren't entitled to your own facts.

What does thinking Die Hard is a film, that is not out of the norm for it to watched year-round, have to do with being entitled to my own facts?

A Christmas film is called a Christmas film because it is not the norm, for it to be watched outside of Christmas time.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
What does thinking Die Hard is a film, that is not out of the norm for it to watched year-round, have to do with being entitled to my own facts?

A Christmas film is called a Christmas film because it is not the norm, for it to be watched outside of Christmas time.

You're misrepresenting the position of others. You obviously know you're doing it.