• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you consider Die Hard a Christmas film?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
If DIE HARD isn't a Christmas movie, then what about DIE HARD 2: DIE HARDER? Huh? What about that??

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Die Hard is absolutely in my Christmas movie yearly playlist along with:
Elf
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer (the one with the asshole Santa)
And A Charlie Brown Christmas

Why, Die Hard is as Christmas as candy canes and stockings hung with care...

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
We've been watching Die Hard on Christmas day since it was available on VHS lol.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and no. I mean, it's not a Christmas movie of the type where you only watch it if it's Christmas. But it's set at a Christmas party, there are multiple references to it being Christmas. It's no mistake that the sequel was set at Christmas as well, or that the song that plays at the end of both is a Christmas (or at least winter) song.

But, hey, if it doesn't make you think of Christmas, then it's just a movie. I vote yes, but it's easy to see the other side.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
A movie that has Christmas in the background is not a christmas movie.

The subject of the movie has to do with Christmas and can only take place during Christmas.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
"...and 13 percent said they didn't know or had no opinion on this important matter."

Probably the most correct people of all.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The people voted trump. The people are clearly wrong

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
If Die Hard isnt a Christmas movie, then Planes Tranes and Automobiles isnt a Thanksgiving movie

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Now you're being obtuse.

Unless you're talking about the Batman version.
Jingle Bells isn't about Christmas. It doesn't mention Christmas, or Jesus, or Santa. It's a song set during winter.

Yet I don't think anyone would, with a straight face, say it isn't a Christmas song. Die Hard was purposefully set during Christmas as a writing decision. It doesn't 'just happen' to take place during the holidays. The book it is based on isn't set during Christmas. They consciously changed that.

Christmas movie.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck this shit, yo. Best christmas movie ever.

What really annnoys me is the argument that if you set Die Hard at any other time of the year it would still be the same movie, ie; it doesn't require the christmas setting to be what it is. However, you could also say the very same thing about most Christmas movies of which there is no debate/fake controversy over. Take Home Alone for instance. Set that during the Summer: the Mccallister's head off to Barbados or somewhere and leave Kevin home alone during a point of the year where professional thieves take advantages of empty houses. The rest of the plot would play out pretty much the same bar a few minor changes.

See, Home Alone isn't a real cristmas movie, either.

Oct 25, 2017

I think this illustrates the problem perfectly. A film can take place during Christmastime and have holiday elements, and that doesn't innately make it "A Christmas Movie". Nothing's stopping you from watching whatever around the holidays, but that doesn't make your viewpoint supreme.

Fuck this shit, yo. Best christmas movie ever.

What really annnoys me is the argument that if you set Die Hard at any other time of the year it would still be the same movie, ie; it doesn't require the christmas setting to be what it is. However, you could also say the very same thing about most Christmas movies of which there is no debate/fake controversy over. Take Home Alone for instance. Set that during the Summer: the Mccallister's head off to Barbados or somewhere and leave Kevin home alone during a point of the year where professional thieves take advantages of empty houses. The rest of the plot would play out pretty much the same bar a few minor changes.

See, Home Alone isn't a real cristmas movie, either.

Home Alone and its sequel heavily mine the theme of Christmas, family, togetherness, and opening oneself up to other people. You could transpose the action but not the themes to another time of year.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Obligatory:
thumb_here-they-come-the-people-who-say-die-hard-stheir-29217299.png