• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Part 1

Part 2

• Ryzen chip V1605B.
  • Micro SD.
  • M2 slot, likely user replaceable.
  • "giganto battery", can't speak to final specs.
  • Appears to be clickable sticks.
  • Likely an intel wi-fi chip.
  • 2 heat pipes for the heatsink.
Thanks to the Phawx for the analysis!

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Love my GPD Win 2 and didn't even realize this was a thing. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this. Thanks for posting!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The Gpd Wins are already amazing, can't imagine how it will be when they have real power under the hood

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I was under then impression that the Win 2 was already pretty strong, is this Ryzen Vega chip that much better?
The win 2 is strong and you can do amazing things if you are willing to tinker deep into game settings. But that means you will have some trade offs. This means a lot less trade offs and a lot less tinkering.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
So it's using the same chip as the Smach Z? Kinda disappointed. i thought they would be using the the newly announced R1000 series. Or maybe that would be in the GPD Win 3?

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I really hope that the rumors that it will have a form factor more in line with the Switch are also true. Much of my interest in the GPD Win line was greatly diminished by what seems to be terrible ergonomics in prioritizing the full qwerty keyboard and cramming the actual controller elements all the way to the top. I get that they want to maintain full Windows compatibility, but it seems to me that the primary use case for a machine like this would be for controller-based games. The Android-based ones were marginally better on this front, but what I really want is a Switch-like form factor that plays Steam games.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Say hello to 30 minutes of gaming per battery charge though. :\

15W TDP including GPU (from what I can tell) is pretty modest though.

My biggest question is cost. The GPD Win was pretty inexpensive, but as GPD releases newer models of product (the Win 2, the Pocket and Pocket 2), the prices keep shooting up. If they're looking to sell for more than the $700-$800 they're charging now, there's no chance I'll buy. (Honestly, I wouldn't consider buying unless the price is <$500, but the odds of that is pretty much zero).

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The win 2 is strong and you can do amazing things if you are willing to tinker deep into game settings. But that means you will have some trade offs. This means a lot less trade offs and a lot less tinkering.

"a lot less tinkering" is exactly what i want out of these devices

keeping an eye on this

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
So it's using the same chip as the Smach Z? Kinda disappointed. i thought they would be using the the newly announced R1000 series. Or maybe that would be in the GPD Win 3?
Well to be fair this exist unlike the smach z, unless something has changed in the last few months
I really hope that the rumors that it will have a form factor more in line with the Switch are also true. Much of my interest in the GPD Win line was greatly diminished by what seems to be terrible ergonomics in prioritizing the full qwerty keyboard and cramming the actual controller elements all the way to the top. I get that they want to maintain full Windows compatibility, but it seems to me that the primary use case for a machine like this would be for controller-based games. The Android-based ones were marginally better on this front, but what I really want is a Switch-like form factor that plays Steam games.
Yeah the Win form factor is not the best. Putting all the weight at the bottom makes his unweldy for long gaming bouts, and the keys are almost too tiny to be functional. At least for my hands

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
How expensive is the Ryzen V1650 chip compared to the Core m3? I know Intel Core m3 are garbage expensive.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
This is a lot bigger in size than the current Win 2 and the Switch, right? If so, I'm not interested.

Last edited:

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
I asked the CEO of GPD a month or so ago about the R1000 series and he told me at the time there was no detailed specs published so it was far too soon to look at it, they had already put a lot of work into the V1605b and GPD does not like using brand new chips on the market as they frequently have undocumented problems that will show up and they'd rather have other companies run into them first.

Besides the R1606G isn't exactly a improvement if you're looking for more gaming performance.
The R1606G has 3 compute units, 1MB L2 cache, 2 cores/4 threads and 1.2ghz GPU freq.
The V1605B has 8 compute units, 2MB L2 cache, 4 cores/8 threads and a 1.1ghz GPU clock.
The R series has a slightly higher GPU clock speed but half the amount of cores and threads, half the L2 cache and less than half the amount of GPU CU's.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I love my win. When I can play killer instinct without issues on A gpd portable I'm set for life.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
15W TDP including GPU (from what I can tell) is pretty modest though.

My biggest question is cost. The GPD Win was pretty inexpensive, but as GPD releases newer models of product (the Win 2, the Pocket and Pocket 2), the prices keep shooting up. If they're looking to sell for more than the $700-$800 they're charging now, there's no chance I'll buy. (Honestly, I wouldn't consider buying unless the price is <$500, but the odds of that is pretty much zero).
I remember that with the Win 2 they upped the price of the win 2 because intel upped the prices on their atom line at the last minute. Ryzen might actually be cheaper for them. Who knows?

Part 3
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Part 3:

iG3N2aC.png

1A1JTx2.png
GApaADX.png

Nov 8, 2017
Ice lake is a complete left-field for this. Wow. I'd be interested to know why they were going that route instead of a Zen 2 APU of some kind.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Ice lake is a complete left-field for this. Wow. I'd be interested to know why they were going that route instead of a Zen 2 APU of some kind.
Because Zen 2 isn't available yet, at least in in ulp packages.

Possibly also because all their previous experience has been with Intel chips. They may have had problems with bring ups and quirks of an and device.

Nov 8, 2017
Because Zen 2 isn't available yet, at least in in ulp packages.

I had figured that was part of the delays - waiting for the next gen chips. I'm not buying any of these this year anyway, but it definitely came as a surprise. I'd assumred we'd have a split where the Max was on Zen+ or Zen 2 stuff, and the Win 3 would be on TGL-Y.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
oh man

I would love to see what GPD could do with the new 4800U mobile chip

EDIT : So that part 3 vid says they are opting for Icy Lake for GPU

Bleh. Im sure it will be good but was hoping for a unified Ryzen/AMD setup

Jodast

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly also because all their previous experience has been with Intel chips. They may have had problems with bring ups and quirks of an and device.
This is pretty much the situation.

GPD had a lot of problems with the v1605b, and they couldn't get something else like the 2500U. Intel now have a comparable chip that can be used to develop the Max very quickly so they changed course.

By the way, benchmarks that haven't been posted here - Win 2 (TDP Unknown) vs Win Max (TDP Unknown). Should probably be taken as a guide right now than fact.
1578715634732p5j1x.jpg

ff75cc36087fb0f630da4f2khc.jpg

Last edited:

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On the one hand, Ice Lake will probably perform better than the first gen Ryzen chip they were using previously. On the other hand, this probably cements a very expensive price tag. I wouldn't be too surprised if this thing starts at $900.

Jodast

Oct 25, 2017
So the GPD Discord server has been leaking a heap of Win Max information for the last couple of days including some new shots of the device:
-510e447b415dbe59gnj62.jpg

64841ce5fa1cbbd7jbkta.jpg

f48bd0d478250b47f91c19xj9x.jpg

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
That form factor continues to be a non-starter for me. I get that they pitch it as a fully functional computer, but for gaming purposes, devoting that much real estate to the keyboard at the expense of a more ergonomic gamepad is backwards to what I would look for in this type of device.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
Same, I really just want a Switch running PC games. For everything in Windows that needs it I can use the on-screen keyboard, but I'm not going to play anything on it that doesn't work with a controller anyway.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
That form factor continues to be a non-starter for me. I get that they pitch it as a fully functional computer, but for gaming purposes, devoting that much real estate to the keyboard at the expense of a more ergonomic gamepad is backwards to what I would look for in this type of device.

I was excited to buy the GPD Win 1 but my hands start to hurt after 15 minutes or so, so I'm in the same boat. Switch that plays PC games is exactly what I want.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Seems like most of you really want the Alienware UFO instead, and I agree. Though I would prefer if some other company jumped into the arena with a cutting-edge-APU-equipped version instead.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like most of you really want the Alienware UFO instead, and I agree. Though I would prefer if some other company jumped into the arena with a cutting-edge-APU-equipped version instead.
Given the power of the nvidia single boards but them being just a bit outta the price range that makes single board pi type systems so attractive I could see them jumping in and doing well at some point for this market with a lower end model first for portable pc.