• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
very interested in finding earliest video pinball, again Gee Bee (1978) is not exactly pinball, but it's very much like pinball.

Not a cart, but hardware is 1977's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Pinball

The microvision had pinball in 1979, along with the atari 2600 pinball, along with thunderball on the odyssey 2.

Anyone have anything earlier?

I don't know about anything earlier than the Video Pinball you mentioned.

Video Pinball by Atari in 1977 was a plug n play TV system.

sears_tele-games-pinball-breakaway_2.jpg

Revision:
0cc4bc05d3aa91db50ea5cb80397e5e3.jpg

I've played one and it sucks hard, much more basic and terrible than the 2600 game of the same name. I do love the look of the hardware and I really wan to convert one into a USB controller for my PC.

In 1979 they released an improved arcade release.

ab580798bde654767a61cacd5e921101.jpg

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
^amazing.

I wonder what the first video pinball game had "good enough" physics.

In my opinion?

For video gamey fantasy pinball it would be Alien Crush on Turbografx in 1988, followed by Revenge of the Gator on Game Boy in 1989, though Hal Labs improved a whole lot when they went on to make Kirby's Pinball Land

For realistic pinball it's definitely the original Pro Pinball series which started in 1995. Those physics are crazy good for the time and they're still pretty good today. Some people may argue that the Little Wing tables had good enough physics before then but I don't have any experience with those original games. Pro Pinball's certainly look better from the Little Wing videos I've seen but if we're just going by "good enough" then it might be Little Wing's tables.

Anyone else want to weigh in? I don't have much experience at all with the video pins of the 80s

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Switch & pinball adventures... I cannot WAIT for Yoku's Island Express!

One of my most-anticipated games of the year.

Oh WOW, I have never even heard of Yoku! That's looks GREAT! That can't be the first time someone had made an adventure game with pinball elements like this, can it?

I remember ODAMA, but that was more like a RTS/pinball hybrid if I remember correctly.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh WOW, I have never even heard of Yoku! That's looks GREAT! That can't be the first time someone had made an adventure game with pinball elements like this, can it?

I remember ODAMA, but that was more like a RTS/pinball hybrid if I remember correctly.

Well, Rollers of the Realm sorta has Adventure & RPG elements but it's divided into stages and the game is pretty dull. I tried to like it for several hours but it really just isn't very exciting.

There's also Momanga Pinball Adventures, which is closer to Yoku, but reviews were tepid. It's on a ton of platforms, though.

Does Mario Pinball Land count?

The TV Tropes page says the game was from the developers of the Pro Pinball series, too...

Fuse also developed Metroid Prime Pinball and the DSiWare pinball table Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon.

Pinball Pulse is like a brand new Pro Pinball table, it designed in the same way in that it could be built in real life. It's really good, if a tad easy. For $5 I strongly recommend it if you have 3DS.

Not sure why this guy uploaded the video sideqys but it's the best one I could find of gameplay.

Last edited:

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017

Certainly not first, but there is also Rollers of the Realm:

It didn't get great reviews, but I liked it well enough. It is rather short, and there isn't much replay value. I tried playing Odama before, but I really didn't care for the microphone aspect of the game. I think that I would have preferred the original bongo concept.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Farsight seems to have messed up a bit.
The Switch version got an update that included online leaderboards.
I first thought that it wasn't out in Europe yet, but it seems like it is. At least for the digital version.
The physical version somehow didn't get the update and thus the LE versions don't work with it. Not yet anyway.
Both versions are actually two different games as far as the system is concerned. I downloaded the free version and now I have 2 copies on my homescreen as well as two different icons for time played.
No idea how something like this gets overlooked. lol

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
HotHamBoy man I love the crush games. one scrolls better though, right?

also found that the fairchild had a pinball game: Videocart-17: Pinball Challenge, but looks like breakout (maybe it has a variation?) and that's 1978

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I first thought that it wasn't out in Europe yet, but it seems like it is. At least for the digital version.
The physical version somehow didn't get the update and thus the LE versions don't work with it. Not yet anyway.
Both versions are actually two different games as far as the system is concerned. I downloaded the free version and now I have 2 copies on my homescreen as well as two different icons for time played.

Because it's Farsight and they're incredibly incompetent. I don't think they even playtest their shit, the amount of clearly obvious bugs they'll release in a patch makes me think there is no QA process. I'm talking about stuff like being unable to buy new tables on mobile or releasing the free trial without a score cap so you can play the whole table for free as much as you want. Or worse, having blatantly missing textures on the playfield.

Right now on Stern Pinball Arcade for iOS there is a massive, low-res virtual joystick overlay on every table that was somehow accidentally added with the last update - which was in November. They said a fix was coming shortly and... it's still there.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HotHamBoy man I love the crush games. one scrolls better though, right?

also found that the fairchild had a pinball game: Videocart-17: Pinball Challenge, but looks like breakout (maybe it has a variation?) and that's 1978

Yeah, Crush is cool but it's hard for me to play them now because they're fairly basic these days.

I really need to play Jaki Crush which was the Japan-only SNES sequel. It looks incredible!

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
^ edit: I knew I missed a couple of games! :D

WpEA8sN.jpg

Because it's Farsight and they're incredibly incompetent. I don't think they even playtest their shit, the amount of clearly obvious bugs they'll release in a patch makes me think there is no QA process. I'm talking about stuff like being unable to buy new tables on mobile or releasing the free trial without a score cap so you can play the whole table for free as much as you want. Or worse, having blatantly missing textures on the playfield.

Right now on Stern Pinball Arcade for iOS there is a massive, low-res virtual joystick overlay on every table that was somehow accidentally added with the last update - which was in November. They said a fix was coming shortly and... it's still there.
They really should outsource the iOS version or something and focus on PS4, Xbox, Switch and PC.
Even then, with 4 versions between them, I feel like they would have their hand more than full.
No idea if the even support the 360, PS3 and who knows whatever versions anymore at this point in time.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They really should outsource the iOS version or something and focus on PS4, Xbox, Switch and PC.
Even then, with 4 versions between them, I feel like they would have their hand more than full.
No idea if the even support the 360, PS3 and who knows whatever versions anymore at this point in time.
They don't but the staff is really small. I mean like 2 programmers small.

Also, please give me your video pin collection. I'll PM you my address lol

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Two programmers? That's it?
It's a damn miracle that things work as well as they do then. wow.

Yeah, i mean I feel bad for those guys but someone at the top is making these decisions to spread them so thin.

I understand that video Pinball is really niche and they probably need to be on as many platforms as possible to be financially viable but there's a point where you need to have respect for the customer and pride in your product.

Many people have stopped buying tables because they are tired of paying $5/$10 per table for a perpetually broken product, or they are tired of the delays on consoles and just forget about TPA.

Actually, we are almost done with Season 7 of TPA and Season 8 is not confirmed and is up in the air.

They took a month off last year from TPA and didn't release a table so they could polish up the product. But while they accomplished a few things like real emulation for Black Knight and updating flipper physics for half the tables on mobile (they've all been updated on Steam for years) they still have a billion bugs and many are platform-specific. I guess they can't afford more time away from releasing new tables.

On top of that, Ghostbusters was added to TPA as the Halloween table out of nowhere. It was already confirmed as a Stern Pinball Arcade exclusive and sold in Bundle 2 as early as November 2016, then was delayed all year.

By releasing Ghostbusters in both TPA and SPA that was yet one less new table for Season 7. But worse still, if you bought the Season 7 Pass for TPA AND the retail package or Bundle 2 of SPA then you unknowingly bought the same table twice.

I thought that was kind of skeezy.

Oh, did I mention that Ghostbusters in TPA on mobile has been broken since it released in October? It's a $10 table, too.

Last edited:

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I'll forgive FarSight for nearly anything as long as my digital collection of Bally and Williams '80s tables keep playing.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
If anyone is looking for an old school Windows 9x era pinball game to play, I recommend Balls of Steel, developed by Wildfire Studios and 3D Realms:

1418-balls-of-steel-windows-front-cover.jpg

dukenukem.jpg

This is a great Pinball PC game that is no longer available to purchase on websites like GOG or Steam. Thanks to the Duke Nukem connection, GearBox had it removed. If anyone wants to check it out, I suggest just doing a google search for the full game, and then take a trip to this website and download the Balls of Steel loader.

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really have to contribute a whole lot to this topic, but last week I discovered that I love Pinball machines. Me and my girlfriend were on a trip to Budapest and more or less stumbled into the Budapest Pinball Museum. They have about 130 machines (and like 10 arcade machines) from 19-freaking-25 up until Shrek 2 or something, you pay an entrance fee of 10€ and can play them all day. Seriously. It was like heaven.

Prepare for some crappy cellphone pics (it was pretty dark in there)!

Last edited:

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Amazing thread. I love anything 60s era Batman, had no idea about that table.
Looks amazing. Hoping this will get a digital release later on.

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Holy fucking shit this thread blew up overnight!

Amazing.
I wonder if they'll patch that...

That's $10 USD which comes to $5 per table. So basically 2 for 1.

Just be careful, you might wake up one day to find you can't access those tables anymore because of a patch.
Possibly, but there's literally no note of that on the store page itself saying they require the premium models to play, so I'll kick and scream if they do!

For anyone who bought it, don't get confused briefly like I did and assume it didn't work... you just need to highlight the machine then press the down arrow to choose the LE, it'll then let you play.

PS. Anyone interested in me taking pictures of a whole bunch of video pinball games starting with the NES to put in the OP as a guide for people looking into what system has which games?
Definitely interested! But depending on how big it is, maybe if there's a link to an imgur gallery rather than embedding all of them into a post here it might be easier for you. See how you go :)
Fake edit, because I'm slow: Nice photos! When I get a chance, I'll put them into an imgur gallery and link them from the OP.

Farsight are masters of awful UI. They are terrible designers and their graphic design is also gabrage.

Their coding is incompetent and they often break things everytime they release an update (definitely true for iOS). The Pinball Arcade has well-documented bugs that have existed for years.
Literally years. There are still texture bugs on AFM when some of the flashers go off that have been there since the table itself came out.

There's still hope, though. This season we got World Cup Soccer & Fathom and Sorcerer & Banzai Run are the next two tables. We've been pounding on the table for all of those since TPA began.
I won't be done until we fucking get Rollergames on TPA. Licensing isn't an issue, they managed to change it successfully on WCS and No Fear and it's not like there are callouts to GamePro or Thermos (lol) to edit, so it should be easy to just put in some made up names and release it.

They made The Getaway for Game Boy!

getaway-the-usa.png

Sadly, no 8-bit La Grange

GTFO. I had no idea that even existed. Wonder if Rare did it like they did High Speed (funnily enough, it's prequel (and which I own!) and Pin*bot).

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I found a sweet Total Nuclear Annihilation wallpaper if anyone wants it! I seriously cannot wait to play this table, everyone gushes about it.

Holy fucking shit this thread blew up overnight!
I won't be done until we fucking get Rollergames on TPA. Licensing isn't an issue, they managed to change it successfully on WCS and No Fear and it's not like there are callouts to GamePro or Thermos (lol) to edit, so it should be easy to just put in some made up names and release it.
Rollergames is near and dear to my heart. When I first started getting into pinball about 4 years ago it was one of the only pinball tables I could find around Indianapolis. I ended up playing it as often as I could after work because it was only a little out of the way driving home. Then one day it was just gone. That's how it is with pinball!

I have been hoping they'd add it to TPA for years but just a few weeks ago a friend of mine bought a Rollergames and put it on location so now I can play the real thing again and it's as good as it ever was! I put up 14+ million on it the other day, Grand Champ. Fells good, man.

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Double post but whatever, I might put some random video game/pinball crossover facts in a post (or in the OP). This post might just be my scratchpad for putting things down in one spot:

* Steve Ritchie (designer of High Speed, Getaway, Terminator 2, up to Game of Thrones and Star Wars) was the voice for Shao Kahn/"the announcer" in Mortal Kombat 2 and 3. It was also his idea to use a "K" for Kombat in the game's title. Lastly, he was also the producer on California Speed, an arcade driving game.
* Eugene Jarvis worked at Williams as a pinball programmer before (and sometimes during) programming video arcade games. He worked on High Speed, Gorgar and F-14 Tomcat (amongst others)
* Ed Boon (co-creator of the Mortal Kombat series) did software programming for several pinball machines, including Black Knight 2000, Space Station and Taxi, as well as providing the voice of Rudy in Funhouse (cheers HHB!). His brother Mike also worked on a good number of games, like The Shadow, White Water and The Addams Family.
* Brian Eddy (designed Attack from Mars, Medieval Madness and The Shadow) directed Stranglehold and Psi-Ops, both Midway console-exclusive games.
* Dan Forden worked on sound at Bally/Williams for 10 years, from 1989-1999, working on Medieval Madness, Star Trek TNG and many, many others. You might know him as "Toasty!" from the Mortal Kombat games, he also did the sound on most of those.
* Brian Schmidt worked on the music for several pinball machines at both Williams and Data East, including Black Knight 2000, Swords of Fury and Banzai Run before being contracted by Electronic Arts to do music specifically for a pinball video game called Crue Ball. Would later go on to do music for multiple non-pinball EA games like Desert Strike, Mutant League Football and the Madden NFL games.
* Python Anghelo co-designed and did artwork for a number of pinball and video games. His pinball works include the concept and/or art for Pin*bot, Bride of Pin*bot, Taxi, Big Guns, Bad Cats. Video game works include the artwork for Joust and design on Bubbles, both by Williams.

That's about all the notable ones I can think of right now. I always like telling people about the ties between Steve Ritchie and MK :D

Last edited:

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
jesus christ Farsight

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Double post but whatever, I might put some random video game/pinball crossover facts in a post (or in the OP). This post might just be my scratchpad for putting things down in one spot:

* Steve Ritchie (designer of High Speed, Getaway, Terminator 2, up to Game of Thrones and Star Wars) was the voice for Shao Kahn/"the announcer" in Mortal Kombat 2 and 3. It was also his idea to use a "K" for Kombat in the game's title. Lastly, he was also the producer on California Speed, an arcade driving game.
* Eugene Jarvis worked at Williams as a pinball programmer before (and sometimes during) programming video arcade games. He worked on High Speed, Gorgar and F-14 Tomcat (amongst others)
* Ed Boon (co-creator of the Mortal Kombat series) did software programming for several pinball machines, including Black Knight 2000, Space Station and Taxi. His brother Mike also worked on a good number of games, like The Shadow, White Water and The Addams Family.
* Brian Eddy (designed Attack from Mars, Medieval Madness and The Shadow) directed Stranglehold and Psi-Ops, both Midway console-exclusive games.
* Dan Forden worked on sound at Bally/Williams for 10 years, from 1989-1999, working on Medieval Madness, Star Trek TNG and many, many others. You might know him as "Toasty!" from the Mortal Kombat games, he also did the sound on most of those.
* Brian Schmidt worked on the music for several pinball machines at both Williams and Data East, including Black Knight 2000, Swords of Fury and Banzai Run before being contracted by Electronic Arts to do music specifically for a pinball video game called Crue Ball. Would later go on to do music for multiple non-pinball EA games like Desert Strike, Mutant League Football and the Madden NFL games.
* Python Anghelo co-designed and did artwork for a number of pinball and video games. His pinball works include the concept and/or art for Pin*bot, Bride of Pin*bot, Taxi, Big Guns, Bad Cats. Video game works include the artwork for Joust and design on Bubbles, both by Williams.

That's about all the notable ones I can think of right now. I always like telling people about the ties between Steve Ritchie and MK :D

Ed Boon is also the voice of Rudy in Funhouse!

Modern pinball is the product of a very slow evolution from bagatelle. As more and more features were added to excite players the game eventually became what it is today. The pins on the boards of those early games are what gives Pinball its name.
20.jpg

8af0baf465f472733147864c4865228e.jpg

0038ed23464d67e37d766d57048cf2a1.jpg

1300148400204883115.jpg

(the game that started Bally!)
1300148400275946667.jpg

acf58af6a41867bad0ca85010cc60aec.jpg

215fc4d1173d08476a453f946441ecaba87ffcfa.jpg

1300148400498436523.jpg

1300148400694510763.jpg

1300148401112226987.jpg

1300148401988734123.jpg
First flipper game: Humpty Dumpty (Gottlieb 1947)
First pinball machine with a bumper: Bumper (Bally 1936)
First pinball machine to use "jet bumpers" and locate the flippers at lower end of playfield: Saratoga (Williams 1948)
First pinball machine to use a ramp on playfield: Nine Sisters (Williams 1953)
First pinball machine to use drop targets: Vagabond (Williams 1962)
First pinball machine with multiball: BBalls-a-Poppin' (Bally 1956)
First pinball machine with multi-ball in the solid-state electronics era: Firepower (Williams 1980)
First pinball machine to use a microprocessor (first SS table): Spirit of 76 (Mirco Games 1975)
First pinball machine with an alpha-numeric display: Chicago Cubs: Triple Play (Gottlieb 1985)
First pinball machine with a dot matrix scoring display: Checkpoint (Data East 1991)
First pinball machine to feature speech: Gorgar (Williams 1979)
First pinball machine to feature a known celebrity voice (Cassandra Peterson - Elvira) especially recorded for the machine: Elvira and the Party Monsters (Bally 1989)
First pinball machine without a plunger: Spectrum (Bally 1982)
First pinball table to feature a two-level playing field: Black Knight (Williams 1980)
First pinball with a three-level playing field: Haunted House (Gottlieb 1982)

Last Williams/Bally Alphanumeric displays: Bride of Pinbot & Harley Davidson respectively (February 1991)
Last Pinball Game to use a Dot Matrix Display: Ghostbusters (Stern) (for now)
Last pinball game made by Williams/Bally: Star Wars: Episode One (1999, The second and last of the Pinball 2000 platform)

Best-selling game of all time: The Addams Family (Bally) 20,270 units + 1,000 units of the 1994 Limited Edition run

Biggest pinball table ever made: Hecules (Atari 1979) It uses a pool ball
Biggest pinball machine ever made: Galactic Dimension

Rarest pinball machine: Pinball Circus (Bally 1994, 2 units) While there are actually quite a few games that only had 1 unit made they are all conversions of pre-existing games as far as I am aware. Pinball Circus is 100% original (in more ways than one):

One is at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas, the other in a private collection. It looks incredible.

Here's a link to Wikipedia's list of Pinball Manufacturers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Pinball_manufacturers

Here's some history about some of the prominent pinball makers:
http://www.flippers.be/basics/101_pinball_history_usa.html
http://www.pinball-magazine.com/?page_id=31

Here's a great post on Pinside with some fascinating facts about the history of pinball (though happily the one about there being only one pinball manufacturer left is no longer correct!!)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-things-you-didnt-know-about-pinball-history
There's some real fun stuff about how pinball was illegal for decades and how it came to be legalized (although it is still technically illegal in some places in America!)

We should also do weirdest/oddest pinball machines, for example Joust, Varkon, Orbiter 1, etc.
BTW, I inserted quotes around the different sections of my megapost so no more image spam.

Last edited:

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
@HotHamBoy
I get what you're saying and some of those things are indeed inexcusable.
I had the PS4 version simply not work for a couple of weeks, maybe longer, I didn't even try anymore. They sometimes just break stuff. :-/
Then again, I really can't keep being angry with these guys.
It's clear they are very passionate and I guess their way of trying to keep this project going is to be on as many platforms as possible.
So yeah, I'll keep supporting them for sure even though they aren't perfect.
I somehow have a lot more patience with them than I have with a AAA team like Dice who constantly screw over their fanbase with BF.
Even though I've stuck with them through 3 terribly handled releases and one pretty awful game.

BTW I don't know if this is a well known fact, but there's an easter egg in Ghostbusters.

I was just playing it and my flippers stopped working, the lights turned off and nothing happened for a second or two.
I thought to myself "now what the hell was that about?"
Then the display flashed MIDNIGHT MADNESS and it started a multi ball in a mode that I haven't seen before in over 10 hours of playtime on the table.
Checked my watch and the clock had indeed just struck 12PM. :D
Reminds me a little of Christmas NiGHTS.

Bought the LE of Ghostbusters btw, and I could swear that I already heard 3 new voice clips that I never heard in the premium version.
Could be coincidence, but I doubt it. At least for 2 of them...

PS @Clown_im_OP
I'm loving those pictures, so I say: keep em coming! :)

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
@HotHamBoy
I get what you're saying and some of those things are indeed inexcusable.
I had the PS4 version simply not work for a couple of weeks, maybe longer, I didn't even try anymore. They sometimes just break stuff. :-/
Then again, I really can't keep being angry with these guys.
It's clear they are very passionate and I guess their way of trying to keep this project going is to be on as many platforms as possible.
So yeah, I'll keep supporting them for sure even though they aren't perfect.
I somehow have a lot more patience with them than I have with a AAA team like Dice who constantly screw over their fanbase with BF.
Even though I've stuck with them through 3 terribly handled releases and one pretty awful game.

BTW I don't know if this is a well known fact, but there's an easter egg in Ghostbusters.

I was just playing it and my flippers stopped working, the lights turned off and nothing happened for a second or two.
Then the display flashed MIDNIGHT MADNESS and it started a multi ball in a mode that I haven't seen before in over 10 hours of playtime on the table.

Bought the LE of Ghostbusters btw, and I could swear that I already heard 3 new voice clips that I never heard in the premium version.
Could be coincidence, but I doubt it. At least for 2 of them...

PS @Clown_im_OP
I'm loving those pictures, so I say: keep em coming! :)

I think Midnight Madness is an easter egg in most modern Stern games. I know Game of Thrones has one. A lot of 90s games do, too, like Medieval Madness. That's cool that SPA knows what time it is and can still do it!

And yeah, I'll continue to support Farsight because they are literally the only company making official digital conversions of these classic pinball games. I love having these games on various platforms and I find them very helpful for learning the table layout and rules. I think they've helped my reflexes on real games, too.

They're also responsible for getting a ton of new people into real pinball and introducing them to tables they wouldn't get to play otherwise. I only just last month got to play a real Tales From the Arabian Nights for the first time and thanks to TPA I knew exactly how to play it. I still haven't played a Cactus Canyon IRL.

But if another developer came around and started making better-quality conversions I'd drop Farsight like a bad habit.

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

It's not necessarily a well known easter egg specifically for GB, but there are a good number of games (particularly from the mid-late 90s) that had a "midnight madness" mode. I know Johnny Mnemonic was definitely one and I'm sure there are a handful more, but couldn't say which ones off the top of my head.

Edit: This page lists the B/W games that have it:
  • Congo
  • Dirty Harry
  • Johnny Mnemonic
  • Junk Yard
  • NBA Fastbreak
  • Who Dunnit
Not sure which Stern ones do.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea it was in so many tables. Makes sense really to have something like this hidden away. It's a great surprise when you get it for the first time.
Never played any of those other tables besides Medieval Madness off course. Can't wait to play that one again on Switch.

I'm actually interested just how many people weren't into pinball before getting their first PBA table.
See, the people I know don't even want to touch pinball games, or cabinets even.
They call it boring and without any real goal...
When I try to explain to them that it's like a video game with a story and different arcs that need to be accomplished to get the most out of it, either their eyes glaze over or they go "ah, interesting, I didn't know that." Yet never bother trying out a table. :-/
Then again, most of the ones I come in contact with only play CoD and FIFA... kinda really boring over here when it comes to gamers...

It really take quite a bit of time to get the most out of a table. Just tried Last Action Hero because of the recommendations.
Played it 6 times or so and I still don't know how I feel about it. Way too early. I still have no clue what I'm doing. lol
Actually, it's only been this past week that I've felt I really started to get a grip on Ghostbusters and I've been playing that since the physical release came out here, which was nearly 2 weeks before the digital one went up.
Now it's amongst my favourite tables of all time. The theme certainly helps as well as I adore Ghostbusters. ;)

Javaman

Oct 31, 2017
It's a real shame that the only real game in a 30 mine radius is a junked out Simpsons PBP that has no sound. What a step down from the Lord of the Rings table the operator replaced. I could get a free game every once in a while on that one.

Ashville's pinball museum isn't too far away though. Good for a day trip.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I thought of a fun topic!

"Liscenses you can't believe aren't already a pinball machine/your dream themes (and ideas for them)"

I'll get this one out of the way right now: HARRY POTTER

It would work so well, especially with the new LCD screens and the ability to use footage from all 8 movies. You could do what JJ is doing with Pirates of the Caribbean and have a different set of modes for each film.

Like Game of Thrones you could choose or be assigned a House and earn points for your house. Each house would get unique play perks like Star Wars & GoT.

As for physical features, a shifting staircase (moving ramps), a Womping Willow bash toy that bashes back like the Hulk in Avengers, a mini Quiditch pitch upper playfield, a hidden "room of requirement" mystery award, a lower playfield Chamber of Secrets, I could think of so much more.

I had long-dreamt of a Batman 66 table and when Stern announced it I was blown away. Visually they knocked my socks off, I think it's one of their best lookers. Gameplay is solid, too. I was pretty happy with it. It even ended up with a lot of the ideas I imagined myself (although boo at not making a lower playfield Batcave!).

I'm sure a lot of people felt the same about Ghostbusters and Stern NAILED that one, holy shit. Two amazing classic liscenses done well back to back!

Had no idea it was in so many tables. Makes sense really to have something like this hidden away. It's a great surprise when you get it for the first time.
Never played any of those other tables besides Medieval Madness off course. Can't wait to play that one again on Switch.

I'm actually interested just how many people weren't into pinball before getting their first PBA table.
See, the people I know don't even want to touch pinball games, or cabinets even.
They call it boring and without any real goal...
When I try to explain to them that it's like a video game with a story and different arcs that need to be accomplished to get the most out of it, either their eyes glaze over or they go "ah, interesting, I didn't know that." Yet never bother trying out a table. :-/
Then again, most of the ones I come in contact with only play CoD and FIFA... kinda really boring over here when it comes to gamers...

It really take quite a bit of time to get the most out of a table. Just tried Last Action Hero because of the recommendations.
Played it 6 times or so and I still don't know how I feel about it. Way too early. I still have no clue what I'm doing. lol
Actually, it's only been this past week that I've felt I really started to get a grip on Ghostbusters and I've been playing that since the physical release came out here, which was nearly 2 weeks before the digital one went up.
Now it's amongst my favourite tables of all time. The theme certainly helps as well as I adore Ghostbusters. ;)

I know your pain, I have also struggled to explain the wonders of pinball.

Most people think it's all luck, they think the game is rigged when it goes down the drain and don't realize it's because they made a bad shot or reacted poorly.

They think all the games are essentially the same and if you've played one you've played them all.

The problem is that pinball is confusing to look at and has an extremely steep learning curve. Modes & objectives aren't immediately apparent. You have to be willing to fail a lot and fail fast and actually put the time in to understand how to play properly.

But the other thing about pinball is that the better you are the cheaper it is. You start having longer games, you earn extra balls & free games. I don't know of any video game that rewards the player with a free game for a good score or as a reward during play or as a random lottery when the game is over.

So you start to understand the game and suddenly you're making shots on purpose and it feels good. Your completing goals and it feels real good. You start earning Replays it feels great. Suddenly your entering your name on the high score board - suddenly your the Grand Champion on that table and if feels AWESOME.

Then you decide you might be good enough for some direct competition and start playing against other players... and you get your ass kicked.

So you start spending mote and more time at the local pinball spots. You find yourself hunting down tables, driving hours to go to some place that has some games you've never played before. You're online reading about pins, you're joining tournaments around the state and forming leagues...

And now here you are, waxing poetic on the beauty of pinball to a friend who's eyes are rolling up into the back of their head.

BTW, I've found my opinions of certain tables has changed a lot as I got better at pinball and better at that specific game.

I used to not understand the fuss about Funhouse at all (can you believe it?) but now it's one of my favorites. Recently I've come to love Dr. Dude and I HATED that game.

Keep at Last Action Hero, I think it's one of Data East's best and I also think it works really well in TPA/SPA. A lot of digital tables aren't as fun as the real ones.

Last edited:

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
oh dang! I found the pinball thread!! cool!

if I play Pinball Arcade late night, I find myself staying up a bit too late haha, not a good game to play if you need to go to work in the morning =P

but I play local too in a league. If anybody is in OC California, the Mission Control arcade bar in Santa Ana does a tournament every Weds!

http://dtsapinball.us

if you're local and like pinball, check it out!!

Another great thing we have here in Southern California is the Museum of Pinball.

http://www.museumofpinball.org/

this is such a fascinating place and so much fun to visit! Unfortunately their electricity bill is insane so they only open up a few times a year to the public. Their next opening is in March for an event called Arcade Expo: http://www.arcadeexpo.com/

they were open 2 weeks ago though for a PAPA sanctioned tournament. I did not compete, but I just went to spend hours on free play machines. In particular I had a great time with these two gems:

26156228_147064166013156_1243859285251719168_n.jpg

26072259_152127202174605_1069230553561038848_n.jpg

Capcom made a few machines and this place happens to have two of them. One of them, Big Bang Bar, is apparently extremely rare (only 14 of them exist?) but is a lot of fun! Definitely worth experiencing, and hope this entices some of you to come travel to Socal to check it out :)

Hey, I thought of a fun topic!

"Liscenses you can't believe aren't already a pinball machine/your dream themes (and ideas for them)"
easy answer from me.

World Pog Federation.

I've needed this for years, and will continue needing it until I die.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they were open 2 weeks ago though for a PAPA sanctioned tournament. I did not compete, but I just went to spend hours on free play machines. In particular I had a great time with these two gems:

26156228_147064166013156_1243859285251719168_n.jpg

26072259_152127202174605_1069230553561038848_n.jpg

Capcom made a few machines and this place happens to have two of them. One of them, Big Bang Bar, is apparently extremely rare (only 14 of them exist?) but is a lot of fun! Definitely worth experiencing, and hope this entices some of you to come travel to Socal to check it out :)

easy answer from me.

World Pog Federation.

I've needed this for years, and will continue needing it until I die.

Lol @ Pog pinball

Big Bang Bar *used* to be extremely rare but now it's just incredibly rare. The original prototype run of 14 units was all there was for about a decade (and I'm guessing the one pictured here is one of them!) but in 2006-2007 Illinois Pinball Inc. licensed & created a reproduction run of 191 units.

Even so, only a handful of Big Bang Bars are available to the public on-location, the rest are in private collections. Indiana just got one at Main Street Amusements in Lafayette and I'm planning on going up there pretty soon to check it out!

Polygon wrote a whole article about the game last March

https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/3/21/14937540/history-of-big-bang-bar-pinball

Last edited:

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
Big Bang Bar *used* to be extremely rare but now it's just incredibly rare. The original prototype run of 14 units was all there was for about a decade (and I'm guessing the one pictured here is one of them!) but in 2006-2007 Illinois Pinball Inc. licensed & created a reproduction run of 191 units.

Even so, only a handful of Big Bang Bars are available to the public on-location, the rest are in private collections. Indiana just got one at Main Street Amusements in Lafayette and I'm planning on going up there pretty soon to check it out!

Polygon wrote a whole article about the game last March

https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/3/21/14937540/history-of-big-bang-bar-pinball
oh dang! yah when I saw those 2 machines I immediately googled "Capcom Pinball" to see what other machines they've made, which is where I read there are 14 of them.

I was also surprised to learn that Street Fighter was not one of their machines... apparently it's a Gottlieb joint.

just like the two Super Mario machines which I also enjoy! The Museum has the smaller baby one there, whereas I had the opportunity to play the bigger one this past weekend at a local Retro Gaming convention.

I used to love that small Mario machine so much as a kid... they had it at my local mall arcade, and I was so happy when I discovered it again at Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas back in 2009 (before pinball started getting attention again).

Nintendo needs to put virtual versions of those 2 on the switch lol. I'm port begging now.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh dang! yah when I saw those 2 machines I immediately googled "Capcom Pinball" to see what other machines they've made, which is where I read there are 14 of them.

I was also surprised to learn that Street Fighter was not one of their machines... apparently it's a Gottlieb joint.

just like the two Super Mario machines which I also enjoy! The Museum has the smaller baby one there, whereas I had the opportunity to play the bigger one this past weekend at a local Retro Gaming convention.

I used to love that small Mario machine so much as a kid... they had it at my local mall arcade, and I was so happy when I discovered it again at Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas back in 2009 (before pinball started getting attention again).

Nintendo needs to put virtual versions of those 2 on the switch lol. I'm port begging now.

Yeah, the Street Fighter II table was made before Capcom got into the pinball business.

Oddly enough, Data East, Sega and Capcom never made any pinball tables based on their video game franchises! Sonic the Hedgehog does appear in Sega's DMD animations, though!

Baywatch-Sonic-Cameo-768x1024.jpg

Pretty baffling considering that Sonic is so obviously ready for pinball as the games use pinball elements in their core design and have whole stages based around it + the Spinball spin-off.

Oh wait, there was this in 1993 :)
IMGP8542.JPG

Fun fact: Gottlieb Premier made an unlicensed table called Gladiators that was originally going to be The Legend of Zelda!

How amazing would a modern Zelda pinball table be?

You know, now that I think about it we should talk about Sonic & pinball

Sonic Adventure has a Sonic table and a NiGHTS table you can access from the casino
retro_review_sonic_adventure_pinball.png

latest

Sonic Generations (PS3/360/Steam) has an entire Casino Night pinball table seperate from the main game
Sonic-Generations-Casino-Night-Zone-screenshot.jpg

Sonic Spinball
30879_front.jpg

HscV8gr.jpg

Man, that Japanese box is sooo much cooler.

Sonic Pinball Party
52172_front.jpg

Am I missing anything of note?

Last edited:

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if there were ever tables made of these films, but I'd love to see UHF, The Blob (remake from the 80's) and Spaceballs in Pinball form myself. :)

I don't know just how many years it's been since I saw an actual machine.
I hate going to bars due to growing up in one, but even if someone drags me down to one, all you ever see here are slot machines and bingo cabinets. So gambling and nothing else. :-/
I wonder if there are still any in the arcades by the seaside, but it's been nearly 10 years since I went there and even then I don't recall seeing any.

I'm not gonna give up on Last Action Hero as I know it takes time for a table to click with me. Some a bit more than others.
Reminds me of the time I got my Saturn, got home and tried to play Fighters Megamix which was just released that week and Sega Rally that came with it. I couldn't make heards or tails of both games as they controlled so differently than what I was used to on Playstation and N64.
Thinking I made a huge mistake by deciding to get the Saturn as I went to bed, The next morning I went straight back to it and kept hammering on these games, even though Sega Rally felt more like a pinball game to me as I kept bouncing off the track from left to right and back again.
But after enough practice, they finally clicked and Sega Rally 1995 is still my favourite Racing game till this day. :D
Had the same experience with Virtual On, and to a lesser degree NiGHTS. Both games baffled me, even though NiGHTS was tons of fun from the 1st second, I had no idea what I was doing, while Virtual On was just rock hard to get a grasp on at first.
Again, both games remain some of my absolutely favourite games till this day.

So I'll keep going back to Last Action Hero, and other tables till I finally "get" them. And then the real fun can begin. :)

I played a ton of those Sonic pinball games above actually.
I've had Generations for years but haven't opened it yet. Had no idea there was a pinball game in there again. Finally gonna have to crack this one open!

I just went through the rest of my things and found a couple more gems.

BT4spDm.jpg
058jtgQ.jpg

ZtluL77.jpg
vKQtG1Y.jpg

3DOwk23.jpg

Still no sign of Galactic Pinball on Virtual Boy though. Wonder where that could be...

Too bad that back in the day I never ever came across a single copy of Pinball Dreams or Fantasies for the SNES, even though I went to tons of game shops then, otherwise I certainly would have picked both up...

Is there any hope of Big Bang Bar being digitised my Farsight?
I've heard so many great things about it, yet I'll never be able to play it otherwise.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any hope of Big Bang Bar being digitised my Farsight?
I've heard so many great things about it, yet I'll never be able to play it otherwise.

It's certainly a highly requested table but they need a donor table to be completely dismanted.

On top of that, there are no Capcom tables in TPA as of now because the Capcom pinball system was unique and they'd need to code an emulator for the software.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So, I'm after advice, I'm a switch owner, and like to buy a table(already got the freebies), however I'm not sure what to grab. I do think I want to wait on zen until they get some marvel and Star Wars tables ported. So I was considering ghostbusters on Stern(not in the mood to buy the entire game, especially with the pain of tracking down a copy here in the us)

FedEx Latte

Oct 27, 2017
Such an underrated genre when done right virtually. Alien/Demon crush, Kirby pinball, and metroid pinball were fantastic games. Alien crush would legit be my most played mobile game if I could play it on the go someway.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
So, I'm after advice, I'm a switch owner, and like to buy a table(already got the freebies), however I'm not sure what to grab.
For now, Stern Pinball Arcade and the new Star Trek table is my recommendation. Shots get a little repetitive, but it's got some really nice Steve Ritchie flow going on.

Either that, or wait until the Switch version of Pinball Arcade gets released, then go nuts with the classics.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I had a Big Bang Bar, I wouldn't mind letting them take it apart (very carefully!) since I'm pretty big on preservation myself.
But I understand how not many people would go for that.

I actually ordered 2 games today. One coming in from France, Akira Psycho Ball.
And the second coming from Japan in a couple of weeks. Last Gladiators V.9.7 for the Sega Saturn which seems to be a rather obscure release that wasn't sold in stores if what I'm hearing is correct.
Rather stoked to test that one out.
I've been a huge Saturn fan for over 20 years now and I had no idea that game existed, despite having the original release.

So, I'm after advice, I'm a switch owner, and like to buy a table(already got the freebies), however I'm not sure what to grab. I do think I want to wait on zen until they get some marvel and Star Wars tables ported. So I was considering ghostbusters on Stern(not in the mood to buy the entire game, especially with the pain of tracking down a copy here in the us)
If you really want only 1 table, I'd personally pick Ghostbusters and with the Limited Edition version being as much as the stand alone, yet including the LE for Mustang as well, I'd say go with that one.
If you don't mind paying $20, then pick table pack 2 first. Although I like AC/DC and Star Trek from pack 1, pack to has Last Action Hero as well as Ghostbusters.

Oh btw. If someone wants to add me on Switch: SW-8347-9726-5976

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
meppi64 the limited pack 2 sounds like the deal for me, I don't want to spend too much, especially with more options coming soon, but I want a really good table to hone my skills on... because I don't have any XD

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can't really go wrong with either pack to be honest as Ripley, Star Trek and AC/DC are all very fun. Can't comment on Starship Troopers yet.
But yeah, my personal favourite is Ghostbusters. It's a pretty complicated table at first, but that also means that it should keep being interesting as time goes by. If I had to pick just one, that would be it.
But it always is good to have a couple more at least, just to cleanse the pallet so to speak. ;)

I've bought a bunch of Zen packs (again), but I'm really not feeling it at this point.
I'll try to get back to it one day, but for now TPA has me hooked.

Oh and be sure to read at least a part of the instructions after a dozen or so games.
That's what I'm about to do with Last Action Hero right now actually, so I don't randomly shoot at whatever that's blinking. ;)
Just take it a step at a time and before you know it, it'll all start making sense. Till you start a brand new table that is. :)