The Pinball (digital and physical) ERA |OT| Full Tilt

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
If you enjoy pinball, then you're never terrible at it. Also, if you play to enjoy it, every single game will improve your skills if you realise it or not :)

They've said Alphanumeric (aka Solid State) games are definitely on the cards as machines we could see in the future. This would potentially include:
Pinbot/Bride of Pinbot
High Speed
Funhouse
Black Knight 2000
Taxi
Whirlwind
etc.

I think the first two Pinbot games are a pretty good possibility. The "adult" nature of Bride might not work in it's favour though.
Hopefully Diner as well, I quite like that one.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Speaking of Zaccaria, i owned nearly all the tables, but i have a hard time finding the perfect overall best ball physic, have you find one?
I'm a very slow guy and I buy tables one by one so I can learn how each of them work veeery slooowly. What that means is, I only play simulation mode and haven't messed with the physics settings yet -- in fact, I've just looked at it for the first time because of your comment ^_^

HF2014

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a very slow guy and I buy tables one by one so I can learn how each of them work veeery slooowly. What that means is, I only play simulation mode and haven't messed with the physics settings yet -- in fact, I've just looked at it for the first time because of your comment ^_^
Oh lol, that cool 😬. Simulation mode is the better, but i personally feel something is a bit off. Its a good thing your doing enjoying one at a time! Im impulsive buyer and bought everything at launch. Perhaps this is why im not enjoying it as much too, beside Clown, haven found more tables that really clicked.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
If you enjoy pinball, then you're never terrible at it. Also, if you play to enjoy it, every single game will improve your skills if you realise it or not :)

They've said Alphanumeric (aka Solid State) games are definitely on the cards as machines we could see in the future. This would potentially include:
Pinbot/Bride of Pinbot
High Speed
Funhouse
Black Knight 2000
Taxi
Whirlwind
etc.

I think the first two Pinbot games are a pretty good possibility. The "adult" nature of Bride might not work in it's favour though.
So you're saying there's still a chance. I guess I'll take it:)

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Most definitely! Wanna say it was in an interview with one of the Zen guys on maybe IGN or GameSpot?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
PFX3 Marvel pack on PSN US flash sale until Monday, $2.49 for Spider-Man, Wolverine, Blade and Iron Man.

Oct 27, 2017
I've officially gone from dipping my toes to diving in the deep end on my virtual pinball build. In the course of two months I've researched so much info on pincabs from what PC to build, to how Direct Output Framework works, to what are the best IPS monitors for the playfield, etc. Most of the tutorials out in the wild are outdated due to the constant updates in software and even some recent ones like Mame in a Box's youtube videos simply do not explain things in a novice friendly manner.

I feel like I could write a book on all of the things I've had to discover myself that are not in a lot of the guides. Thankfully every question I've had has been asked and answered a thousand times on multiple virtual pinball forums but the fact that so many common issues are not in a FAQ are crazy. But don't let this frighten you as you will resolve the issues thanks to the helpful community, especially contributing members like Nailbuster, TerryRed, and Randr.

So far I have built my PC and loaded up about 75 working tables using Visual Pinball; I have yet to touch Future Pinball. I have a 2019 43" Sony as my playfield, an LG 32" for my backglass and currently an old 15" 4:3 monitor as my virtual DMD. It took a bit of settings tweaking to get Visual Pinball not to crash, along with making sure my video drivers and new PC bios were up to date and not causing issues.

My next task will be installing PinUp Player and testing out a few PuP packs so I can get awesome stuff like this going:

After that I will finally install the latest PinUp System front end to easily navigate the tables. I have already ordered a cabinet online to be built for me as I do not have the workspace to build one myself. Once it arrives I will be throwing in all of the PC/TV components along with solenoids for feedback. By the time I get everything together it will probably be late August or early September due to the wait time for the cab itself and a trip I am taking out to California.

If anyone else is thinking about making a virtual pin I would be glad to answer any questions. I'm by no means an expert but I have learned a lot in setting up everything so far.

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Keep us posted on that, I'm keen to see how it winds up looking despite not having any interest in making a virtual pin of my own.

Has Future Pinball been improved upon in the last few years or so? Last I remember it looked pretty good, but I remember reading something like the flipper only had about 4 or 5 "zones" it would launch the ball from, so it would only fire balls up at specific angles/points.

Oct 27, 2017
I have not touched future pinball just because I have heard so many negative comments about it. I’m sure like any other program you get what you put into it. There are still bad visual pinball tables where the physics are off but you can adjust it yourself if you want to. I keep playing the old 10.4 build of AC/DC and am amazed at the stuff you can do that is so close to the real experience.

HF2014

Oct 25, 2017
Cant wait to see how you Virtual cabinet will look like. I was maybe thinking about getting one, but i just hope the physic of VPX will improve. But playing a cabinet with Zen and TPA could be very interesting.

Oct 27, 2017
Cant wait to see how you Virtual cabinet will look like. I was maybe thinking about getting one, but i just hope the physic of VPX will improve. But playing a cabinet with Zen and TPA could be very interesting.
The physics are completely based on the creator's choice and you can still edit them after you download each table. As I said before, some physics are spot on, some are horrible so you really need to pay attention to who created a table. The Zen physics for single player are not realistic to me and when I pick the arcade mode they still feel a bit off but sometimes it is fun to just load up the single player mode and have an easy game. Plus, you can play Zen in a cabinet; All you have to do is request a cabinet key using their support page. They will email you for a pic of the cabinet to ensure you are not creating it to make money. I just sent them a pic of my work in progress and they sent the code over the next day. I bought all of the FX3 tables so I will be able to play them in my cab.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I experimented with Virtual Pinball over the weekend. Didn't get very far. It looks awesome in VR, but I could neither get the backglass thing to show up or the game to start (could load coins and play with the plunger, but not get the game to start). Controls were showing as mapped correctly, too. One of these weeks I'll read the entire VR thread from start to finish and see if I can figure out what I'm missing.

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Some news! Woo!
Slash Reveals That a New Guns N’ Roses Pinball Machine is In Fact Coming Out
His tone gets excited when talking about a forthcoming GNR pinball machine (“nothing has ever come out like it”) but sits at even keel when discussing the circumstances that led him to get sober in 2006.
I'm super keen to see what a JJP-produced music pin will look and sound like, they could honestly nail the fuck out of it. No idea what the speculation is about it, but I'd almost reckon that Eric Meunier would be behind it given how well he did with Pirates.

Definitely not a theme I could see would gel with either Lawlor or anyone else at JJP (is there anyone else who designs at JJP? Maybe Keefer?).

Slash would obviously have had a hand in designing it too, given he had a lot of input into the DE machine.