• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Check out our video resources list in the Pinball OT OP ;)

You're about to discover the next level where pinball really opens up and becomes an obsession.

Thanks! Why are we constantly ignoring the OPs in threads we actively post? ^_^

I checked the how to aim video and it's life-changing. I always looked at the target when aiming, but I trained the aiming technique from the video yesterday and I can already feel more control over the game. For instance, now I can consistently pull off the Monster Fish bonus. Here's a quick video I captured yesterday:

I hope you find some tables today out in the wild! As other users have said, use pinside.com or the app Pinball Map, and that will help for sure!

Sadly, I couldn't find any tables yesterday, it looks like they've been gone from the shopping mall I went to for a few years now :(

(I just tried getting back into Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I'm having a tough time with the trio in Chapter 6 though... I tried marking this as a spoiler, but ended up just losing my entire post, and rewriting it, haha!)

If you're having trouble with a Xeno 2 boss, that means you're probably not using some crucial skill that will make the battle a breeze. I know it because the game is super confusing with so many mechanics and awful tutorials, so there were many techniques I only got right many hours after they were introduced. I would hit a wall with a boss, look up guides online and realize that confusing stuff I couldn't understand earlier was really important.

Pinside.com has a global map that can help you find pins in your area, let us know what you find!

According to pinsite, there are a few Stern tables at a shopping mall I'll be going to next week:

https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/4361-hot-zone-barra-shopping-rio-de-janeiro-rj-brazil

I'll be sure to give the Spiderman one a try... or two... or three.

Thanks for sharing tips and your very interesting story with pinball! I'll check The Pinball Arcade later today.

what does "tilt" mean? it happens and i can't move

It means you're nudging the table too much. Are you using touch controls? When playing Zaccaria Pinball with touch controls, I was constantly nudging the table accidently, maybe this is also an issue here.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017

I checked the how to aim video and it's life-changing. I always looked at the target when aiming, but I trained the aiming technique from the video yesterday and I can already feel more control over the game. For instance, now I can consistently pull off the Monster Fish bonus. Here's a quick video I captured yesterday:

Sadly, I couldn't find any tables yesterday, it looks like they've been gone from the shopping mall I went to for a few years now :(

If you're having trouble with a Xeno 2 boss, that means you're probably not using some crucial skill that will make the battle a breeze. I know it because the game is super confusing with so many mechanics and awful tutorials, so there were many techniques I only got right many hours after they were introduced. I would hit a wall with a boss, look up guides online and realize that confusing stuff I couldn't understand earlier was really important.

According to pinsite, there are a few Stern tables at a shopping mall I'll be going to next week:

https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/4361-hot-zone-barra-shopping-rio-de-janeiro-rj-brazil

I'll be sure to give the Spiderman one a try... or two... or three.

Thanks for sharing tips and your very interesting story with pinball! I'll check The Pinball Arcade later today.

It means you're nudging the table too much. Are you using touch controls? When playing Zaccaria Pinball with touch controls, I was constantly nudging the table accidently, maybe this is also an issue here.

Its a good trick you found ( holding the flipper when it come from boat ramp ), going to put it in pratice for our tournament. :)

BUT, this doesnt work if you play with the real physics lol. I tried it in both classic arcade and tournament single player, doesnt work.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
I could have just been overlooking it. I'm not sure. I couldn't find it in-game or separate trial DLC.

On PS4, you click the table you dont have, a screen to purchase or download trial appear in game ( youll download a trial for the 3 table at the same time ). If you dont see that, probably mean its not available to try.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Wow. I'm pretty jaw dropped by this promo video that Williams created in 1992 for Fish Tales. It illustrates the finer points of the game, it's goals, and does so in such a sincere, and joyful late 80's/90's kinda way.

I wonder/assume in the video that the two fumbling fishermen are Mark Ritchie, the pretty phenomenonal game designer, and Pat McMahon, the artist who had such a ton of good work on tables!

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/mark-ritchie

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/pat-mcmahon

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too many examples to count, it's not even worth writing them out.

Like, I honestly think the vast majority of pins would need to be altered in some way to meet their standards.

I mean, I don't even know how they would approach Bride of Pinbot without totally gutting the charm. And what's Elvira without her over-the-top cleavage and innuendo? You just gonna trash the artwork for Xenon?

I don't consider things like the Fisherman's cigar or the Mermaid's belly to be integral to the aesthetic identity of Fish Tales, but there's a lot of pinball art that absolutely is that I don't want to see messed with.

That said, the gameplay-effecting stuff is the biggest worry, along with them choosing to just not do certain games at all due to the amount of altering that would need to be done.

If they really want to do this right then they need to spin this off into an app that can get a higher rating. This should be seen as more than just a business opportunity, they are being given the exclusive rights to preserve pinball's legacy and introduce the work of hundreds of other people to new players around the globe.
Well said.Let's see if anything will come out of the internal discussions at Zen (that Mel Kirk mentioned).

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Great stuff! Just be aware that you won't be able to just hold the flipper to trap the ball like that on real table or the new Zen physics unless the ball is going slower than it does in that video.

There's tons of little tricks you can learn to get control of the ball and bring it to a stop or pass it to the other flipper. Some atuff you just have to feel-out over time.

The hardest thing for me was nudging, especially IRL. I never used to nudge when I started. Now I nudge wuthout even thinking. In fact, when I play real pinball I'm using the whole table to manipulate the ball constantly by applying varying degrees of pressure, hard and soft, forcefully and nuanced, almost unconsciously.

I would also advise going into settings and turning off pop-up scores. They're pointless and distracting and I think Zen added them to make the games feel more exciting. I think they're the worst.

You're going to love Spider-Man, that game rules.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
So umm, I just noticed this... .

Zen really needs to put information out, and within their game, and clarify these differences.

I started playing Fish Tales in Classic Single Player mode, and noticed I couldn't catch the ball with the left flipper at launch, like I've been doing in the tournament, and like OrakioRob displayed in his video clip. I played both Arcade and Tournament settings, and neither could catch the ball like I've been doing in the tournament for Resetera. I even went as far as to try and create a tournament, to see what options could be checked off, that might affect the physics.

Lo and behold, playing the standard Zen mode of Single Player, recreated those physics exactly. Which makes sense, as every tournament game for Resetera, starts with the fisherman and Remaster version.

So we've been asking what's the difference between Arcade and Tournament difficulty, and although there might be the more inclined table and faster balls there, I'm finding the physics fall more "unreliable" in Classic, and far more canned and forgiving in the more Zen arcade type Single Player mode.

Also, when playing in Classic, if you left the ball shoot down, it will hit the right flipper every time, but the height of it's bounce differs almost every time. This somewhat illustrates how varied and unpredictable the physics are in Classic, much like real pinball tables where drains can happen often, and quarters can be munched quickly. Whereas Single Player, plays like a very beginner friendly game, it's predictable, easier to control the ball, and just overall a smoother experience, but far less like real pinball.

I'm torn as to which I enjoy more. I know which I score higher at, and checking at the leaderboards, the scores are significantly higher for Single Player than Classic, and obviously there are powerups in Single Player, but for my lower score in Classic, my rank is much, much higher. Maybe that's due to the difficulty putting people off, Zen users preferring powerups, or the powerups themselves. I don't really know..

Last edited:

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017

Zen really needs to put information out, and within their game, and clarify these differences.

I started playing Fish Tales in Classic Single Player mode, and noticed I couldn't catch the ball with the left flipper at launch, like I've been doing in the tournament, and like OrakioRob displayed in his video clip. I played both Arcade and Tournament settings, and neither could catch the ball like I've been doing in the tournament for Resetera. I even went as far as to try and create a tournament, to see what options could be checked off, that might affect the physics.

Lo and behold, playing the standard Zen mode of Single Player, recreated those physics exactly. Which makes sense, as every tournament game for Resetera, starts with the fisherman and Remaster version.

So we've been asking what's the difference between Arcade and Tournament difficulty, and although there might be the more inclined table and faster balls there, I'm finding the physics fall more "unreliable" in Classic, and far more canned and forgiving in the more Zen arcade type Single Player mode.

Also, when playing in Classic, if you left the ball shoot down, it will hit the right flipper every time, but the height of it's bounce differs almost every time. This somewhat illustrates how varied and unpredictable the physics are in Classic, much like real pinball tables where drains can happen often, and quarters can be munched quickly. Whereas Single Player, plays like a very beginner friendly game, it's predictable, easier to control the ball, and just overall a smoother experience, but far less like real pinball.

I'm torn as to which I enjoy more. I know which I score higher at, and checking at the leaderboards, the scores are significantly higher for Single Player than Classic, and obviously there are powerups in Single Player, but for my lower score in Classic, my rank is much, much higher. Maybe that's due to the difficulty putting people off, Zen users preferring powerups, or the powerups themselves. I don't really know..

Yeah, its a knowned bug it seem. Physics we get in our tournament or any tournament we create, no mather which type of tournament we create, give us the physic of solo single player, not classic single player, arcade or tournament. There is atm no way to create a tournament with the realistic physics. Its still the new engine were playing, but the tweaked one for easier gameplay.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If you want an experience closer to real pinball then play Classic.

They need better language, I agree.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, leading up to Halloween this year I'm going to do some shameless self-promotion and embed some tweets from my pinball account. (More because I'm too lazy to retype this stuff and grab the photo links.)

I'll periodically post about real games with horror themes, with trivia and pics.

Sometimes I source pics online, sometimes I take them myself. I'll try to point out which is which.

*sourced pics for both

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, after trying the Williams tables in FX3, I can actually see where people were coming from with the complaints about Zen's physics. The new simulation is so fast and snappy.

I wish I could find a place with some physical pinball tables nearby... I'd kill for one on my college campus. The only one I've managed to play is a Star Trek one, one with a toy of the Enterprise on a spring at the top-center.
0uqDdfF.jpg
Some of my family trying the machine.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Ok, leading up to Halloween this year I'm going to do some shameless self-promotion and embed some tweets from my pinball account. (More because I'm too lazy to retype this stuff and grab the photo links.)

I'll periodically post about real games with horror themes, with trivia and pics.

Sometimes I source pics online, sometimes I take them myself. I'll try to point out which is which.

*sourced pics for both

Cool shots man! You got to check out Spooky in person? That's one of my favorite Zaccaria tables for sure!

Are you headed here this weekend?

http://www.pinballexpo.net

I really wish I'd known prior to a week or so ago, when I saw Todd Tuckey talked about him being a guest on his TNT Amusement video.... There's going to be a deeproot panel I'd love to see, the big Popadiuk will be there too! And Jersey Jack Guarnieri will be speaking too! Seems about three hours from Indy, and like 7 from me sadly.

Okay, after trying the Williams tables in FX3, I can actually see where people were coming from with the complaints about Zen's physics. The new simulation is so fast and snappy.

I wish I could find a place with some physical pinball tables nearby... I'd kill for one on my college campus. The only one I've managed to play is a Star Trek one, one with a toy of the Enterprise on a spring at the top-center.

Some of my family trying the machine.

That looks like the newer Steve Ritchie Star Trek, from the newer movies. What did your family think of it?

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool shots man! You got to check out Spooky in person? That's one of my favorite Zaccaria tables for sure!

Are you headed here this weekend?

http://www.pinballexpo.net

I really wish I'd known prior to a week or so ago, when I saw Todd Tuckey talked about him being a guest on his TNT Amusement video.... There's going to be a deeproot panel I'd love to see, the big Popadiuk will be there too! And Jersey Jack Guarnieri will be speaking too! Seems about three hours from Indy, and like 7 from me sadly.

That looks like the newer Steve Ritchie Star Trek, from the newer movies. What did your family think of it?
No, i didnt take those pics.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Can you buy those Zaccaria tables a la carte? I didn't care most of the ones in that game last I looked, but that one looks cool to me.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Might want to add one for the Halloween theme, from Zaccaria, i found Clown, just for the sound effect, being extremely creepy. Check it out.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to like that Spooky table, but it's not doing much for me, and the voice work is pretty weak.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I just remembered; I managed to get the ball stuck on that Star Trek table. The ball managed to stop right at the apex of one of the loops. The machine kept firing everything off to try and shake it loose. but to no avail. I had to TILT the machine in the process of getting it out of there.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Is American Pinball's debut of Octoberfest tonight?

Just checked their Facebook page, and it's 8:30PM tonight. I'm guessing central time. I wish I could check that shit out....nearly nine hours away, and I'm at work. What the... .....

Last edited:

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Man, what a crazy video. Todd really brings the most amazing background and sense of history to a simple tour of a convention like this. An absolute blast to watch, as usual, and a fun guest appearance too!

I'm about nine hours away, and wish I'd planned better for work, but my car needs some repairs, and I guess maybe saving some cash towards a table, might be smarter than fawning over so many that would be great to own!

There's a group of Australians there too! I feel super dumb for not making it there, when they're willing to travel so far away to be there.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
16eba09e87f8bf8a9f51730e16e0f6ccf940af56.jpg

c02761dc401059819f9f972373b58582dc44e20e.jpeg

49cc7cced1718c47f882f2520a28bd8a07bfb36b.jpeg

d6210d89b65625ba2a7f200d7db087a76300a814.jpg

American Pinball's Octoberfest deep dive

Monster Bash Remake finally official

Last edited:

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Is there any way to start the Williams table in FX3 in original mode instead of the enhanced versions? Having to swap back every time is annoying...

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn im so tempted to get one, how much do we think £6000??
Whatever their price was for Attack From Mars, although there's different models at different pricepoints.

Pinball Heaven in the UK is selling the AFM Remake for £7,795 so you're off by about two grand. The US price is between $6,799-$7,599, depending on the model, but you should keep in mind that the UK has to import this massive machine so it's going to be more expensive there.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever their price was for Attack From Mars, although there's different models at different pricepoints.

Pinball Heaven in the UK is selling the AFM Remake for £7,795 so you're off by about two grand. The US price is between $6,799-$7,599, depending on the model, but you should keep in mind that the UK has to import this massive machine so it's going to be more expensive there.

Damn the prices have sky rocketed!!, had a Addams Family table about 7 years ago with i purchased for approx £2,500 and sold for more or less the same, hate to think how much one of them would cost now!?

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Hmmm. Was there any other big info released from the Chicago Expo this weekend, other than Octoberfest? I figured deeproot wouldn't release any big info during their lecture/presentation....

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
I dont think there were any other major reveals.

Yeah, doesn't seem to be. I was lucky enough to find a good deeproot video though, and their debut of their tables in March, I hope will blow the industry wide open.

Seems all of these guys have two or three tables in the pipes, and all are new IP's! I'm guessing this is the last wave of creativity we'll get to see from a lot of these dudes, like Nordman, Ousler and Popadiuk, so this will be exciting to see what's revealed in another six months! I really can't imagine anything better evolving in pinball currently, compared to what could happen, could, at deeproot.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I finally got around to being able to play some real tables again yesterday, which was awesome. I feel old saying this, but I really don't like the new tables with the giant video screen. It feels pointless. My attention is on the ball 99% of the time. I can't watch anything on the video screen while I'm playing, and I find the videos/audio incredibly distracting.

That said, I did enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy and Wizard of Oz aside from that. I just enjoyed Jackbot and Transformers (neither of which have giant screens) much more.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I woke up to an email from Arcooda saying I apparently have access to some crazy Kinect update to their cabinet software? Looks pretty neat, shame I don't have a proper cab to give it a shot.

edit: apparently this was announced back in May as being only for the $500 cabinet version due to the license stuff, but they just announced it is coming to the steam version as well? I have no answers and have no coffee.

We are happy to announce that Arcooda has finished the balance work for
Kinect (for all software versions) and is offering for free to all our
loyal customers. FarSight Studios has helped to active today (live now)
the 3D Kinect game play function on the Steam PC version of Pinball Arcade.

To add Kinect 3D game play support (Kinect V2 + Windows 10 + XBOX One
Camera is needed), please update to the current version Pinball Arcade
version (1.71.17) to enjoy Kinect game play on your games library (based
on our 76 licenses);

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finally got around to being able to play some real tables again yesterday, which was awesome. I feel old saying this, but I really don't like the new tables with the giant video screen. It feels pointless. My attention is on the ball 99% of the time. I can't watch anything on the video screen while I'm playing, and I find the videos/audio incredibly distracting.

That said, I did enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy and Wizard of Oz aside from that. I just enjoyed Jackbot and Transformers (neither of which have giant screens) much more.
Interesting fact: the DMDs are more expensive.

The LCDs bring a touch of modern sensibility and they looks really nice when done right. They are especially great for licensed games since they can use footage from the licensed source. Batman 66, for example, has hundreds of intergrated clips from the TV show.

There's also potential for features that wouldn't be possible otherwise. Last year's Dialed In from Jersey Jack has a "Selfie Mode" that takes pictures of you while you're playing and throws them up on the screen. It's a well-received gimmick.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stern & Ka-Pow are joining up again to bring The Beatles pinball to the world!

The Beatles Store confirmed that 100 Diamond editions, 250 Platinum editions and 1,614 Gold editions would be on sale on an unconfirmed date
Read More: Beatles Pinball Could Be Most Expensive Table of All Time

That's a total of 1964

We knew The Beatles was probably coming from Stern, it has been rumoured for awhile now.

The big surprise, for me anyway, is that it's another EM-inspired table like The Mafia, Total Nuclear Annhilation and Woah Nellie!