• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Got the Jurassic park tables - ended up like $2 after points so why not. Always happy to have more tables to play.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I got the Aliens Pack for me and the Jurassic World Pack for my wife.

Pinball FX noob here, so please give me some advice: should I play normal or classic? I'm not interested in table upgrades and I assume the leaderboards for normal mode are filled with people using upgrades, right? What mode do you guys usually play?

Any other tips are welcome. I've already disabled the annoying pop-up notifications during gameplay.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes

Pinball FX noob here, so please give me some advice: should I play normal or classic? I'm not interested in table upgrades and I assume the leaderboards for normal mode are filled with people using upgrades, right? What mode do you guys usually play?

Any other tips are welcome. I've already disabled the annoying pop-up notifications during gameplay.

Normal allows you to use 2 boosts at a time from stuff like increased skill shot scores, bumper scores etc... and 1 active boost like rewind. You can usually save 4 balls per game with the rewind. Classic is just like the tournaments around here but with extra balls.

Pinball Arcade is pretty humbling at times. I'm top 100 in the world in many tables in FX3 but in PA my very best ranking is 1481 in the world in Dr. Dude.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden

Just stick with classic if you don't want to use any powerups or powers, also on the Williams tables physics in Classic is closer to the real thing.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Pinball Arcade is pretty humbling at times. I'm top 100 in the world in many tables in FX3 but in PA my very best ranking is 1481 in the world in Dr. Dude.

In Zaccaria Pinball, I'm the number one player in the Farfalla leaderboards with 4 million points, but that's because the leaderboards for a few tables were reset weeks ago and apparently few people are playing the Switch version. if I recall correctly, our friend wesman was previously in the top 10 with a score of 15 million points 0_0

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
Picked up the Core Collection and Aliens vs. Pinball for Pinball FX3 on Switch and definitely recommend them, especially at the sale price. As a fan of the movie the Aliens table itself is far and away the best of the 3 in that pack with great audio clips from the movie and the ability to play through significant scenes in order or randomly. As a TOTAN fan so far I've enjoyed the Pasha table the most out of the Core Collection. Fingers crossed that TOTAN is announced as park of the next Williams pack tomorrow!

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zaccaria Pinball (Steam)

27 Retro Tables 0,79€

From the store page
This DLC unlocks 27 retro pinball tables, including

• Time Machine Retro Table
  • Locomotion Retro Table
  • Devil Riders Retro Table
  • Pinball Champ Retro Table
  • Shooting the Rapids Retro Table
  • Farfalla Retro Table
  • Hot Wheels Retro Table
  • Space Shuttle Retro Table
  • Circus Retro Table
  • Combat Retro Table
  • House of Diamonds Retro Table
  • Earth Wind Fire Retro Table
  • Robot Retro Table
  • Blackbelt Retro Table
  • Soccer Kings Retro Table
  • Star God Retro Table
  • Magic Castle Retro Table
  • Clown Retro Table
  • Fire Mountain Retro Table
  • Nautilus Retro Table
  • Mexico '86 Retro Table
  • Zankor Retro Table
  • Mystic Star Retro Table
  • Aerobatics Retro Table
  • Supersonic Retro Table
  • Universe Retro Table
  • Spooky Retro Table

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
In Zaccaria Pinball, I'm the number one player in the Farfalla leaderboards with 4 million points, but that's because the leaderboards for a few tables were reset weeks ago and apparently few people are playing the Switch version. if I recall correctly, our friend wesman was previously in the top 10 with a score of 15 million points 0_0

I've been over on Pinside a bit more over the past few weeks, bought a Houdini game, and am delving into that high level of maintence and prep. Digital is sooooo much more mellow and less anxiety producing!!!

I read your post about tearing it up on Farfalla, and will dutifully get back in there and challenge you my friend!

Check this out!

Definitely not Theater of Magic

Wapcaplet

Oct 31, 2017
It's Black Rose.

black_rose_6.jpg

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I've been over on Pinside a bit more over the past few weeks, bought a Houdini game, and am delving into that high level of maintence and prep. Digital is sooooo much more mellow and less anxiety producing!!!
Holy shit, this is big news! Congrats on the machine, by all accounts it's pretty damn good. Have you seen American Pinball's next machine, Oktoberfest? It looks pretty nice too.

Congratulations!

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017

I read your post about tearing it up on Farfalla, and will dutifully get back in there and challenge you my friend!

Check this out!

My friend has a Houdini. I've played it a bunch. It's a game that really grows on you over time. It has some difficult shots IMO but a nice progression.

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
If anyone wants to add me for FX3 highscores on Switch, just look at my profile. Just started to play a bit more, so bear with me :p

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Doubt Theatre of Magic is in pack 2 or else they would have teased it as the headliner.

AFM is great but it feels slightly underwhelming right now? Medieval Madness was in the first pack and AFM is of a very similar style. Would have preferred Theatre of Magic, but hey we'll see.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

That's great! And congrats on your new machine!

Guys, thanks for recommending the Aliens pack when I asked about it a few weeks ago. Now that it's on sale, I bought it and all three tables are super good!

I'm not used to Pinball FX and at first I thought I wouldn't enjoy the "digital stuff" (aliens grabbing the ball and throwing it around, armored car sections, etc), but now I'm enjoying it a lot. It's cool to have a sense of progression in a pinball game, and since I'm a big Aliens fan, the events and the voice clips are a huge plus.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
That's because they are going to release Indy this year as a single table.

BELIEVE.

It's a Christmas miracle!

Eh. I usually like Nordman's stuff, but PZ doesn't do anything for me. Only decent table in that pack is AFM, and even then it's a simpler copy of Medieval Madness IMO.

That's kinda where I'm at. AFM is amazing, but coming hot off the heels of Medieval Madness and with only three tables per pack, it feels a bit redundant and unnecessary. Really would have liked to see Theatre of Magic headline pack two. It's THE unlicensed Bally table imo.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really like to see some tables that weren't in TPA. I mean, I know nothing about them but I'd love to be able to try (for example) the NBA table I've seen compared to WCS and that Miami Vice ripoff. I have no idea how they play, but the themes really appeal to me - and I'm still bad enough at pinball that theme is a huge factor for me.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Really don't care for Party Zone, but got credit to burn, so I'll pick it up anyway.

Last edited:

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Eight Ball Deluxe is a timeless classic. I would put that in my top ten all-time for pinball.
tenor.gif

I'd really like to see some tables that weren't in TPA. I mean, I know nothing about them but I'd love to be able to try (for example) the NBA table I've seen compared to WCS and that Miami Vice ripoff. I have no idea how they play, but the themes really appeal to me - and I'm still bad enough at pinball that theme is a huge factor for me.
You mean Hollywood Heat? Never played it either, but I'd love to try it -- apparently Steve "The Master of Flow" Ritchie himself says it's one of his favorites.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Really don't care for Party Zone, but got credit to burn, so I'll pick it up anyway.

Yeah same. Also have mixed opinion about Black Rose, but for me , worth the entry price just for Attack From Mars!

I think Zen went the safer route here with these three tables. Unless im un-aware, those table dont required censorship. I think there was better Bally tables to be put in there, like Scared Stiff, Elvira, Theater of Magic, Cactus Canyon, Circus Voltaire, Xenon.

Still happy, goin to play AFM on my Switch!

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Holy shit, this is big news! Congrats on the machine, by all accounts it's pretty damn good. Have you seen American Pinball's next machine, Oktoberfest? It looks pretty nice too.

Congratulations!

Aww thanks man! It's been pretty fun, and surprisingly stressful too. Putting coins or a dollar in an arcade, versus knowing what wax to use, how to level a table, clean, etc. definitely ratchets up anxiety! Didn't help that may playfield fell off the rails last week onto the power supply. Eek!!

Yeah, Octoberfest looks equally awesome! American Pinball really came out strong for such a new company! I was just listening to this podcast from June, and the programmer Josh mentioned games being sent to Australia! Have you gotten to try it at all?

https://www.stitcher.com/s?eid=54935336&refid=asa

My friend has a Houdini. I've played it a bunch. It's a game that really grows on you over time. It has some difficult shots IMO but a nice progression.

It definitely takes time to learn, and those shots are difficult to approach at first. Pretty awesome friend to have! Do they have more tables for you to check out?

That's great! And congrats on your new machine!

Guys, thanks for recommending the Aliens pack when I asked about it a few weeks ago. Now that it's on sale, I bought it and all three tables are super good!

I'm not used to Pinball FX and at first I thought I wouldn't enjoy the "digital stuff" (aliens grabbing the ball and throwing it around, armored car sections, etc), but now I'm enjoying it a lot. It's cool to have a sense of progression in a pinball game, and since I'm a big Aliens fan, the events and the voice clips are a huge plus.

Thanks much Rob! Definitely a learning experience, that's for sure! Which of the Aliens tables are you enjoying most? All of the dialog in the Aliens game, is so fantastic, and sad to hear Bill Paxton over and over again....

Do you have the reimagined Farfalla table? I play on that, saw your score I think on there. I need to buy the original. I freaked out when I saw it at PAPA HQ a few weeks ago, before they closed their doors. Probably the first Zacarria I've played in person, or at least knew that I was playing, haha, at the time!

What are your go to Zacarria tables? I'll have to give you a run for your marbles, err pinballs!

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Aww thanks man! It's been pretty fun, and surprisingly stressful too. Putting coins or a dollar in an arcade, versus knowing what wax to use, how to level a table, clean, etc. definitely ratchets up anxiety! Didn't help that may playfield fell off the rails last week onto the power supply. Eek!!

Yeah, Octoberfest looks equally awesome! American Pinball really came out strong for such a new company! I was just listening to this podcast from June, and the programmer Josh mentioned games being sent to Australia! Have you gotten to try it at all?

https://www.stitcher.com/s?eid=54935336&refid=asa
I haven't played any American games yet, but my mate Marto from the Head 2 Head Pinball podcast has streamed Houdini a bunch of times and even appears in it as an Australian prison guard or something. They look very well built and I'm keen to see how they "feel". Hopefully a bit more solid than I'm used to with Stern, they look like there's no expense spared!

With any luck it will make an appearance at FlipOut 2018, which I'll be going to at least for one of the two days. Jersey Jack will be there (he's flown to AU several times over the last few years) and there's supposed to be another special guest as well...

PS. Don't stress about owning a new machine and not having the knowledge about keeping one. Having a new machine should basically look after itself (apart from said cleaning and maybe an adjustment or two). I'd recommend getting an older 80s Williams game, they're great for seeing how machines are put together because of how relatively simple they are. I cut my teeth on High Speed and it was perfect for learning maintenance/upgrading etc.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Consoles having toned down tables is always going to be a problem as some probably can't get released at all on consoles, and them being Steam-exclusivse is highly unlikely.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
8BD is my favorite classic (<'90s ERA/Checkpoint release) machine EVER
and in my all time top10, maybe even top5

Check this out!

Woah, congrats man!
Sad I prolly never have the chance to try it :(

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doubt Theatre of Magic is in pack 2 or else they would have teased it as the headliner.

AFM is great but it feels slightly underwhelming right now? Medieval Madness was in the first pack and AFM is of a very similar style. Would have preferred Theatre of Magic, but hey we'll see.
Attack From Mars is the greatest pinball table ever made so I'm fine with that.

Party Zone is a bummer. Junk Yard tier. But I would rather play Party Zone than Junk Yard.

Neither of those games are very well-regarded compared to many other Williams DMDs.

Looks like unlicensed and DMD-only is the only thing we'll be seeing for awhile. When you limit it to that you have fewer headliners for your packs.

Black Rose is pretty awesome IMO but beware the haters.

What are the recommendations for PFX? I never know which ones to go for.
I recommend everything but the Originals Season 1 bundle because even at half price it still sucks. I do recommend that $5 Medieval pack in that bundle, but none of the other tables are worth playing but Paranormal. If you think one table is worth $5 then I guess go for it.

The Core Pack is a no brainer for $3, Pasha alone is worth $3. Rome is dire but Biolab is fun.

Zen has improved a lot over the years with tons of experience. Most of the early originals just don't hold up.

Last edited:

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Attack From Mars is the greatest pinball table ever made so I'm fine with that.
HotHamBoy, I love ya, man, but this statement isn't even close to reality. AFM is fun, but I can easily name a dozen pins better than it. In no particular order:

- Eight Ball Deluxe
- High Speed
- High Speed 2: The Getaway
- The Machine: Bride of Pin*Bot
- Medieval Madness
- Monster Bash
- Twilight Zone
- The Addams Family
- Red & Ted's Road Show
- Elvira and the Party Monsters
- Gone Fishin'
- Flight 2000
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Indianapolis 500
- Whitewater
- No Good Gofers
- Taxi

...wait, did I go over a dozen? Oh well. Again, I like AFM, but "greatest pinball table ever made" is a bit much, buddy.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HotHamBoy, I love ya, man, but this statement isn't even close to reality. AFM is fun, but I can easily name a dozen pins better than it. In no particular order:

- Eight Ball Deluxe
- High Speed
- High Speed 2: The Getaway
- The Machine: Bride of Pin*Bot
- Medieval Madness
- Monster Bash
- Twilight Zone
- The Addams Family
- Red & Ted's Road Show
- Elvira and the Party Monsters
- Gone Fishin'
- Flight 2000
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Indianapolis 500
- Whitewater
- No Good Gofers
- Taxi

...wait, did I go over a dozen? Oh well. Again, I like AFM, but "greatest pinball table ever made" is a bit much, buddy.
I place AFM above all of the tables you listed without batting an eye.

It's a perfect pinball table.

Actually. You've got a lot of suspect nominations. Even just among Brian Eddy tables I think you'd have a hard time finding someone who thinks Monster Bash is better than Attack From Mars.