• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Pinball Fx 3 in a while, but I want to get some use out of my flip grip! I only have the default table and the Bethesda tables. Have any come out since then that are must have?

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
The FX3 Attack from Mars is far more brutal than the Pinball Arcade one. With the standard FX3 physics most shots at the ufo in the middle result in a drain straight down the centre. It's actually a little better with the new physics model but you really need to bounce the ball around the centre target, hit it straight on and you are in for a world of hurt.

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Attack from Mars (Pinball FX3) 5K

46143496052_3e4b0372b4_o.png

Black Rose (Pinball FX3) 5K

46194001761_08469ed159_o.png

Party Zone (Pinball FX3) 5K

46194011711_4c3509c452_o.png

Uncensored Fish Tales (Pinball FX3)
32321955108_308c2a605a_o.png

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't see what the deal is with pinball sim developers always going for Party Zone. It's just not that great, I put it right up there with Junk Yard in terms of "meh"-ness.

Wapcaplet

Oct 31, 2017
The FX3 Attack from Mars is far more brutal than the Pinball Arcade one. With the standard FX3 physics most shots at the ufo in the middle result in a drain straight down the centre. It's actually a little better with the new physics model but you really need to bounce the ball around the centre target, hit it straight on and you are in for a world of hurt.
Good to hear - AFM is an absolute drain monster in real life too. Bowen gets a bit flustered in the PAPA tutorial.

delalaser

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got stern pinball for switch? There's Tate mode but its the opposite direction when using flip grip. Wondering if there's a way to rotate it like in pfx3.

Liberteer

Dec 8, 2018
Sarajevo
Reinstalled Pinball Deluxe Reloaded. Such an overlooked port on Steam. It's not mobile thingie just transfered, a lot of effort went into it being what it is. Also, tables are very well thought out.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
F16DFFC.png

November 27 - Dec. 03, 2018

LISTED TOURNAMENT NAME: Reset Era

TABLE: Medieval Madness (Williams Vol. 1)

PASSWORD: kickback
(Only need to enter once)

MODE: Classic

EXTRA BALLS: No

LENGTH: 7 Days

ATTEMPTS: Unlimited

PRIZE: Glory

PLATFORMS: Switch, XBOX One, Steam
(Playstation and Mobile excluded due to cross-play limitations. Please stand by for more regarding these platforms)

Tournament is LIVE

WilliamsPinball_MedievalMadness_screenshot_classic_04_logo.jpg

Welcome to the 6th monthly Pinball FX3 tournament for ResetEra! Every month we will run a 1-week tournament that only our community can participate in!

So you thought I forgot, huh? Well, I didn't. Unfortunately, Zen seemingly has not fixed the physics bug for Pinball FX3 on Switch. This means we're still using the old physics rather than the new, more realistic physics. I held out as long as I could but I'm guessing the fix will come with December's Williams Vol. 2 and we'll be using them with Attack From Mars ;-) (hopefully)

We'll be doing each of the Williams tables from this pack over the next several months so be sure to save your pennies!

Past Winners:
MAY: Primate Ryan
JUNE: Psykoboy2
JULY: TSSZNews
AUGUST:
NO TOURNAMENT
SEPTEMBER: Barbaresco
OCTOBER: Baps
NOVEMBER: ???

All skill levels welcome! Thank you for participating and remember to just have fun!
Good luck!

Be sure to stay active in the thread so we can maintain visibility and get more participants. Discuss strategies and tips!

For more discussion about the wonders and joys of pinball, both digital and real, please join us in the ResetEra Pinball OT

Oops. Guess I missed this one..!

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
First, a bit of curiosity:

We are almost 3 months past Farsight releasing Woah Nellie and Big Buck Hunter on The Pinball Arcade for Steam and Mobile and we still have no word on the Stern Pinball Arcade versions, if there even are plans to continue supporting that app. Pretty ironic considering they were originally developed exclusively for the Stern Pinball Arcade. Of course, no word on console releases either. Historically, the consoles have gotten tables months after their release on Steam and Mobile in big dumps to make certification easier, but it's interesting that there's only been those two tables released since Banzai Run back in March so it's not like they've been piling up.

Anyway, now to catch up on announcements in the real world of pinball:

Primus is getting their own reskin of Woah Nellie/Pabst Can Crusher (ugh) in a limited run of 100 tables with Stern.

https://www.jambase.com/article/primus-pinball-machine-limited-edition-custom

mEg7sjt4.png

primius-pinball-playfield-zoltron-zy_1250.png

I don't like this table in either form I've played but I imagine this will be the best iteration simply because of the theme.

Here's an extensive exploration of Stern's new The Beatles table

Bonus: Here's a guy beating the new Jersey Jack Pirates of the Caribbean table Wizard Mode

We recently got one on location at Tappers Arcade Bar in Indianapolis and it's everything we've come to expect from a JJ table: jam-packed with features (some that I feel inhibit the flow of the game, which is otherwise excellent) and of high build quality. I haven't played it near enough to have a fully-formed understanding and appreciation of the game, this shit is as deep as pinball gets with an incredibly complex ruleset. It's really fun, but if you think their other tables are over-whelming on first approach you will be flummoxed by this game.

Yeah, the Pinball Arcade seems sunk. Them not getting those new tables oved, as iffy as they are, over to systems in this time period doesn't bode well. I wonder what their internal dev team looks like now, and how much things have fallen apart since that one head honcho left early this year.... I forget his name offhand.

I really wish Stern would grab some talent other than Zombi Yeti. He's done so many of their past tables in years, it's creating a uniform style, and they need all the variety they can get. Plus, for me, his work is fairly bland comic book style art from the 90's. I.E. bubble muscle visuals that never really look like human musculature.

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/20...vGoFJA_Qn_DfpubvqvQMkJcAfxxr-BNXVe-n_hKG0Z5xY

I like that a big buttocks is right in the middle of this game. Bumpers and butts!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish Stern would grab some talent other than Zombi Yeti. He's done so many of their past tables in years, it's creating a uniform style, and they need all the variety they can get. Plus, for me, his work is fairly bland comic book style art from the 90's. I.E. bubble muscle visuals that never really look like human musculature.
Well, they kinda do have other artists there. There's at least Christopher Franchi who did Batman '66 (from mostly afaik art he'd already done) and Beatles. I guess the other regular artists are Photoshop Fred (or whoever did Star Wars), Dirty Donnie (who I don't think is an employee exactly, just a contractor) and... shit, I guess that's all they have. Huh.

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes from other manufacturers though, particularly Deeproot (if they've picked up a lot of existing pinball artists).

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/20...vGoFJA_Qn_DfpubvqvQMkJcAfxxr-BNXVe-n_hKG0Z5xY

I like that a big buttocks is right in the middle of this game. Bumpers and butts!
#purplepinball

Last edited:

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This past weekend, i played these tables designed by Dennis Nordman: Demolition Man, Indianapolis 500, Pirates of the Caribbean, Special Force.Mostly played the first two.

Last edited:

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm officially joining the world of being a pinball machine owner.

I have two pins now. Star wars (data east), and a non working night rider.

I've loved them my whole life and am finally in a position to start my collection. My ultimate goal is to get into restoration as a hobby (the night rider will be where I learn).

Any tips for a beginner?

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

I've loved them my whole life and am finally in a position to start my collection. My ultimate goal is to get into restoration as a hobby (the night rider will be where I learn).

Any tips for a beginner?
As long as you don't fuck with the artwork (try cleaning with something too abrasive, or touching up or breaking plastics) then pretty much anything you can mess up with a pinball machine can be reversed. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty and find out how they work! I didn't know shit when I first got my High Speed, and before long I actually knew how everything fit together. That knowledge from a 1984-era machines translates pretty well to the more modern 90s and 00s machines, possibly newer.

Don't be afraid to ask here for advice, don't be too wary of browsing Pinside but there are aspects of it that remind me A LOT of "the old place", so just be wary of it. www.tiltforums.com can be a lot friendlier, even though it leans more towards tournament discussions (but there's plenty of tech talk there too).

Congratulations all round, getting a pinball machine or two is a seriously great thing! Hope you've got room for others though, I shit you not when I (and many others) say that they multiply.

Edit: Oh, and that Star Wars machine received a ROM update about 5 years ago, despite being a 25 year-old game. Apparently improves the gameplay a lot AND it was done by a fan (but then officially endorsed/released by Stern). Sadly though, it was the days before USB so it requires ROM chips to update it.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
no one else has a flip grip and stern pinball?
Just double checked to be sure and it still only rotates one way so ends up upsides down. You can force the Switch in the other direction but it doesn't snap in and will slip out pretty easily. If you really wanted to you could make it work, I guess, just would need to be careful.

You can see the most updated list here. They have stayed on top of what games work.

https://retronauts.com/article/946/...-flip-grip-friendly-vertical-games-for-switch

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing a lot of Fish Tales on FX3 lately and wondering if anyone has insight into how the scoring works, specifically for Grab Your Gear (captive ball hit). I've seen values vary wildly - most commonly in Classic mode I initially hit it for 500k, then it increases to 1M from there on out. Occasionaly I've seen much higher values - I hit it for 23M last night right after a jackpot, then was consistently getting 5M off it. I know long cast increases the reward, but I'm not clear if that changes the score you get off it, seems inconsistent to me.

nautone

Oct 16, 2018
Austin, TX
Been playing a lot of Fish Tales on FX3 lately and wondering if anyone has insight into how the scoring works, specifically for Grab Your Gear (captive ball hit). I've seen values vary wildly - most commonly in Classic mode I initially hit it for 500k, then it increases to 1M from there on out. Occasionaly I've seen much higher values - I hit it for 23M last night right after a jackpot, then was consistently getting 5M off it. I know long cast increases the reward, but I'm not clear if that changes the score you get off it, seems inconsistent to me.

I was recently watching the PAPA tutorial and was blown away by the super jackpots from the captive ball, I still have a lot to learn about this table. Anyways, here's what I've found from pinball.org:

The captive ball awards are:

1. Hold Bonus (1M) - self-explanatory; holds your bonus and multiplier.
  2. Video Mode (2M) - lights the eject hole for Video Mode.
  3. Rock the Boat (3M) - Rock the Boat for 20 seconds.
  4. Light Extra Ball (5M) - What do you think?
  5. Instant Multiball (10M) - immediately starts multiball.
Note that you can only get one award per hit, no matter how many are lit. The numbers in parentheses are the amount of points you get for that award. Also, whether or not the captive ball is lit for the next award, hitting it scores "Grab Yer Gear" which is 1M x the highest lit award (excluding instant multiball, which is Sell Yer Gear as described below). If nothing is lit (as is the case for the ball after completing the captive ball), you get 500K.
After getting Instant Multiball, the captive ball becomes worth 5M points per hit, going up 500K per hit (so the 3rd hit is worth 6M). The maximum value on the Sell Yer Gear award is 10M.

After getting all 3 jackpots in the tackle box, the fun really begins. The captive ball becomes lit for the Super Jackpot, and I DO mean Super! Every time you hit the captive ball, you get 100M points, until multiball ends.
Don't worry; you needn't get all jackpots in 1 multiball in order to get to the super jackpot. Whichever jackpot you are on is remembered through the whole game. If you lit the super jackpot, but never hit the captive ball, then the next multiball the captive ball will still be lit for the next multiball until you've hit it at least once.
Of course, it'd be anticlimactic to have to go back to the 20M, 30M, 40M jackpots, now, wouldn't it? Well, after going through an entire jackpot sequence (i.e. you've gotten at least one SJ), all of the jackpots become worth minimum 2x their original value! INCLUDING the captive ball super jackpot! And you can still double the jackpots, so you can make major amounts of points on this game. And it keeps increasing with each completed sequence. The multiplier will go as high as 6x (yes, I've gotten a 600M super jackpot). Why it goes up to 6 I know not (just seems like a strange number).
If you get a Super Jackpot when the next-to-last ball is registering in the trough, you'll get an additional 100M for the SJ. The reason for this is probably because the jackpot multiplier kicks in as soon as the ball is registered, but just before the final SJ points are awarded to you. I don't know that for sure, but a way to confirm it would be to see if getting a 600M SJ gives you 700M or not.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, that's great info! Thinking I must've gotten confused when the 23M popped, it must've been from something else than just the captive ball hit.
Noticed it's WAY easier to hit the center target with the default physics - I rarely can do it in classic mode, though in general I find Classic - Arcade more fun and challenging.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh

Any tips for a beginner?

Congratulations! I lurked on pinside for months here and there, before buying a pin and then starting to hunker down with posts. If you can find specific threads where owners haunt, people can often be incredibly thoughtful in replying. It's like any board, there can be ego for sure, but also some kindness. Read up, and good luck! Often you'll find your questions already answered, multiple times on there, prior to even posting.

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
no one else has a flip grip and stern pinball?
I just tried it then, and it works fine, but doesn't work nearly as well as the Zen Williams tables because:
a) the camera angles don't feel as good, and
b) you have to insert the Switch the other direction and while it fits, it doesn't click and won't secure the screen. Still playable though.

Oh, and the physics feel woeful in SPA compared to Zen.

Anyone here have the right camera settings for Zaccaria?
Edit: It's pretty easy to find the right settings. Menu navigation is cumbersome as hell, but here's what I wound up with:
Bottom position: 35%/58%/47%
FOV: 50%
Dead Zone/Slide: 0
Static and Extended: Both "On"

That's for Pinball Champ, it's probably the same for the others. Now I just need to find good physics settings for it.

Last edited:

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
New Zaccaria update for the Switch! Couple of added remakes for $2.99 a piece, and a 27 pin retro pack for $1! Hit just before 2AM est last night.

I really wish Zen could emulate Zaccaria's lighting and scratch/dust system. Zen feels almost plastic in comparison.

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
Switch pinball fans: Williams Pinball Volume 2 is out now on Pinball FX3 with Attack From Mars, Black Rose and Party Zone for $9.99 US. Got to play a few quick games of Attack From Mars before work and it was great. Still hoping for them to release Tales of The Arabian Nights in the next pack.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I've just noticed that the Aliens and Jurassic park packs are not showing up in FX3 on my Switch as playable despite the fact that I purchased them a while back. I've tried reinstalling the game, but it made no difference. Anyone else ever seen this issue?

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked my Switch and they are playable. Do those packs show up as "purchased" in the eShop?
Yep.
I've since been in contact with Nintendo support and they asked me to send them a video of the menu in-game showing the tables as unavailable. We'll see how it goes, but I'm certainly not buying the new Williams pack until I'm sure it will work okay. Shame - Attack from Mars is one of my faves.

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
TIL (thanks to PFX) that the slingshots in AfM dictate what city the aliens invade first. Though it kind of bothers me that they don't randomise the starting city like with TPA (I think). I understand why they do it though, obviously they test with a specific game state and keep it that way, just like TPA did with Fish Tales (which resulted in the first "mystery" award ALWAYS being an extra ball, smh).

I'm finding the gameplay with the WMS tables in PFX a lot more frantic and lively than TPA. It's infinitely less predictable too, so I can't imagine we'll be seeing games that last for hours with massive scores too often. Nudge is a lot better and more realistic, too. TPA felt like a full-on slide save by comparison:

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Finally tried my Flip Grip with Zen Pinball, and I think everyone has been really pleased with it. I haven't read any mentions of how poorly weighted it is. Holding it feels akin to balancing on the edge of a curb a bit, just doesn't feel weighted right in my hands.

The view is spot on, and the production build feels great, but the focus of the system entirely weighted, (As in the joycons being attached at the bottom and the system having overhang at the top) at the bottom with the joycons, feels like a massive ergonomic/design misstep for me. I felt like rushing to remove the Switch from it, even though the view was so appealing...

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
...and you might not. I love the FlipGrip and I've used it quite a bit.

I'm not sure what you were expecting. It was never going to be built so high it didn't have the Switch extending upward by half. It's a $12 item.

You are correct that almost everyone is pleased with it, except apparently for you.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
...and you might not. I love the FlipGrip and I've used it quite a bit.

I'm not sure what you were expecting. It was never going to be built so high it didn't have the Switch extending upward by half. It's a $12 item.

You are correct that almost everyone is pleased with it, except apparently for you.

I noted that I felt it's built very capably, except for a large design issue. For me, there were three possible design issues designing something like this, the ability to hold the system and joycons, production build quality, and weighted balance in the hand. All three were essential to make this product feel good and function. It fails on one.

So you buy a product, and don't scrutinize it's value or function? Do you genuinely don't feel it's too heavy in a way that feels unbalanced and removes balance from the natural design flow of the Switch in handheld?

Price, whether expensive or cheap, isn't my issue here, and a reasonably low price, doesn't exclude this product from basic functionality. And just because I'm the only person not overwhelmingly pleased with it, doesn't negate the value of my concerns and issues.

I wanted to enjoy this product. I didn't show up at the table, pay for my meal ahead of time, and then once dinner we as served said I had no appetite.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
User warned: antagonizing another member
I think you should probably make a thread with a really dramatic title that indicates your specific displeasure with the FlipGrip. It would be valuable to the community here to get your precious opinion into the hands of all the users at ResetEra. They definitely need your specific guidance on this $12 piece of plastic that does a great job of allowing you to play vertical arcade and pinball games from ages ago because you find it a little too unbalanced in your hands.

The answer to you is NO, I do not sit around with every product I buy and "scrutinize" it's value or function. I purchase it, play with it, enjoy it, and read posts on messageboards from people like yourself who are entirely self-absorbed by the value of their opinion in their head that they can't see the forest for the trees. Then I go ahead and reply to them, because these replies won't write themselves.

The FlipGrip is a great product. I like it. You don't.

By all means though. You should start a thread. Everyone's waiting for your hot take.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
I think you should probably make a thread with a really dramatic title that indicates your specific displeasure with the FlipGrip. It would be valuable to the community here to get your precious opinion into the hands of all the users at ResetEra. They definitely need your specific guidance on this $12 piece of plastic that does a great job of allowing you to play vertical arcade and pinball games from ages ago because you find it a little too unbalanced in your hands.

The answer to you is NO, I do not sit around with every product I buy and "scrutinize" it's value or function. I purchase it, play with it, enjoy it, and read posts on messageboards from people like yourself who are entirely self-absorbed by the value of their opinion in their head that they can't see the forest for the trees. Then I go ahead and reply to them, because these replies won't write themselves.

The FlipGrip is a great product. I like it. You don't.

By all means though. You should start a thread. Everyone's waiting for your hot take.

You're an aggressive person, and you seem hostile, and it's very peculiar that you mention multiple times that I should start a thread because I disagree with a viewpoint on a product that neither of us has personal stake in, other than $12. Calling me self absorbed, while suggesting your opinion is an end all be all, sort of mindset, is entirely hypocritical. I never once suggested people shouldn't buy, or enjoy a product. You on the other hand are being outright aggressive and hostile. That's neither warranted or appreciated.

The reason why I was so surprised by the imbalance, is that many people on this site, who's opinions I do value and take into consideration, (all the while not chastising them if they might disagree) found this to be an overall excellent product. I didn't, so I was surprised. And I guess per your attitudes, I'm not allowed to suggest to a user I relate with, to temper their expectations.