• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Get Smart would be a better retro license, IMO. The Munsters is mostly known for being a knock-off of The Addams Family, whereas Get Smart entered the cultural lexicon through its numerous catchphrases and gags:

"Missed it by that much."
"...and loving it!"
"That's the second-biggest <X> I've ever seen."
"Would you believe...?"

Heck, at least Get Smart got a modern remake a few years ago, whereas the Munsters haven't been spotted anywhere.

To be pedantic, the Munsters premiered just about a week after the Addams Family in September 1964, and they both went off the air two years later. The Addams Family in April, and the Munsters in May.

I'd say the Munsters is far more a send up/homage to the Universal Monsters, more so than the Addams', and the Addams Family is directly based on Charles Addams' illustrations.

I just rewatched the first two episodes, and then the first film, and man all of those hold up so damn well! I'll go down the Munsters road in a few days. Addams always felt more directly quirky, while the Munsters felt so goofy and silly. Both are so phenomenal!

I also have an old series full Get Smart DVD set I have yet to delve into!

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
That... actually looks kinda fun. Reminds me a lot of the ooooold pinball games on the IIe etc. Not how it plays exactly, but the angles/size of flippers etc.:

Edit: Everyone should check out the Munsters, too. Someone uploaded it to Archive.org, and it's the whole goddamn show. And it wasn't just a homage to the Universal Monsters, it straight up featured them:
Uncle_Gilbert.jpg

"Uncle Gilbert", aka Creech.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Long shot here asking this. Iv purchase somehow a rare game on 3DS, Pinball Hall of Fame Williams Collection. It was a used copy, so there is some data on the cart. Is there a way to erase all data from the cart?

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
Long shot here asking this. Iv purchase somehow a rare game on 3DS, Pinball Hall of Fame Williams Collection. It was a used copy, so there is some data on the cart. Is there a way to erase all data from the cart?

Many games can be reset by doing this (stolen from GameFAQs):

On the title screen, press L + R + A + B + X + Y simultaneously to reinitialize your data.

This is not a system function. It depends upon the game. So it isn't guaranteed to work. Some games have no way to reset them.

Hmmm, just found this specifically in regards to PHoF (stolen from AtariAge Forums):

I should also note that thus far, I have found NO way to erase saved data, so if that sort of thing is important to you when it comes to, say, starting over fresh or maybe reselling your games? You might want to take a look at it. That's a bit disappointing as well.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Many games can be reset by doing this (stolen from GameFAQs):

This is not a system function. It depends upon the game. So it isn't guaranteed to work. Some games have no way to reset them.

Hmmm, just found this specifically in regards to PHoF (stolen from AtariAge Forums):

Oh well. Thanks for finding that out! Iv email farsight, maybe they got s solution.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Really proud of how good I'm getting at Fish Tales on FX3 (albiet with Zen Physics). Got all the stars in the survival challenge despite their being a bug(?) that sets the second star at 70 million, up from 5 million. Then the next one after that is only 80 million.
Still haven't gotten the super jackpot for the achievement though - I suck at juggling multiballs and have only gotten two jackpots towards it. Once I complete that I'll probably go back to playing with classic physics. I find it a lot more satisfying, though I'm pretty bad at it.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
This thread is snoozing as of late...

I watched this last night! Really great video regarding changes made to the Spike format, which I've heard about, but didn't know specifics regarding.

I'm really amazed at how much Aussies love pinball! I'd have had no clue except for the many Australian posters here, Shaneus and on pinside, and also so many ardent youtubers. When did things catch on down there? Has there been a downsurge and resurgence at different points in the market? I know there's a massive price difference over there, sadly.

Side note, Munsters is definitely out and about, and I'm looking forward to impressions from users here! I'm going to try and check it out tomorrow.

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really amazed at how much Aussies love pinball! I'd have had no clue except for the many Australian posters here, @Shaneus and on pinside, and also so many ardent youtubers. When did things catch on down there? Has there been a downsurge and resurgence at different points in the market? I know there's a massive price difference over there, sadly.
We definitely love it! The market has largely followed the US in regards to popularity, though obviously on a much smaller scale. Peak in the mid-late 80s, peaked in the 90s, dropped off in the 00's and back up again now.

Location pinball is (I believe) not as prevalent as over there, and EMs are super expensive because they need to be imported for the most part (vs. the US where they mostly lay dormant or in people's homes from the boom in the mid-late 20th century). ie. An EM going for US$200-300 over there will easily ask AU$2000+ here, which kind of blows.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Damn Demons Tilt is good, I forgot how good the Crush series pinball games were on the PCE/MD/SNES

It would be awesome if Zen managed to get the rights to remake these games in Pinball FX3!!?. Heck even if they never got the license or are even thinking about it just make 3 tables in the same vein as Alien/Demon/Jaki crush games

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
For those who are interested, Williams Pinball is available on IOS.

Williams™ Pinball by ZEN Studios Ltd.
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/williams-pinball/id1406370101?mt=8

Also available for Android.

Be aware, its like morph to be an add- watch, pay to unlock, do daily things Appstore game... just going to say that im not satisfied with this release tbh... most interesting thing about it is to spend real cash to win cash tournament, but if you want the same experience as consoles release, you might be disappointed.

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Not specifically pinball related, but who watched the Superbowl the other day?

Can't really mock them for the song, because the ad itself is pretty fucking cool.

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me, or is "Pinballl Wizard" overused? I'm not sure if I want the "pinball anthem" to refer to a "deaf, dumb, and blind kid" in this day and age.
It is an extremely unfortunate "theme song" for pinball. Someone needs to write a new one.
It's definitely overused, but I don't think it'll ever go away. The song was very much a time capsule (as was pinball) and unless there's a band as big as The Who creating a song as big as Pinball Wizard was at the time (or even a rock opera/musical based on pinball) then it'll never happen.

The closest I guess we have right now is from the pen/guitar of noted pinball fan Ed Robertson/Barenaked Ladies:

(shot in his basement, and yes... that's his collection as of 2015 or something)

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
It's definitely overused, but I don't think it'll ever go away. The song was very much a time capsule (as was pinball) and unless there's a band as big as The Who creating a song as big as Pinball Wizard was at the time (or even a rock opera/musical based on pinball) then it'll never happen.

The closest I guess we have right now is from the pen/guitar of noted pinball fan Ed Robertson/Barenaked Ladies:

(shot in his basement, and yes... that's his collection as of 2015 or something)

I think everything in this modern era, that's beyond a few months or years within recent times, gets shuddered away or viewed as inadequate, inferior or overall inept and offensive. The Who were a pretty ballsy, outright partying, and no excuses made, rock band. Now we live in an era of crucifiying people in so many directions, from all over the globe, all within seconds of anything occuring.

So I'd say a few years ago, I'm a bit fed up of the song, and have heard it way too many times, but in this modern era, I'm more primed for things that are challenging, rather than passive, and catering to all.

Yeah, that Bare Naked Ladies song is certainly....something. Sounds like Tom Petty meets James Taylor. I'll take in your face rock with riffs that linger, whether politically correct or not, versus mellow smooth free flowing....whatever that was, more often than not. These dudes sound like they're singing about some lover that left them years ago, more so than whatever goofy shit Tommy is supposed to be about.

Maybe a third option...?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm not crazy about the song but it's the best "modern day" song we have.

Although i love this, but it's even less likely to go mainstream:

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I think everything in this modern era, that's beyond a few months or years within recent times, gets shuddered away or viewed as inadequate, inferior or overall inept and offensive. The Who were a pretty ballsy, outright partying, and no excuses made, rock band. Now we live in an era of crucifiying people in so many directions, from all over the globe, all within seconds of anything occuring.

So I'd say a few years ago, I'm a bit fed up of the song, and have heard it way too many times, but in this modern era, I'm more primed for things that are challenging, rather than passive, and catering to all.

Yeah, that Bare Naked Ladies song is certainly....something. Sounds like Tom Petty meets James Taylor. I'll take in your face rock with riffs that linger, whether politically correct or not, versus mellow smooth free flowing....whatever that was, more often than not. These dudes sound like they're singing about some lover that left them years ago, more so than whatever goofy shit Tommy is supposed to be about.

Maybe a third option...?

^ This, this, this, so much this.

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
For those who are interested, Williams Pinball is available on IOS.

Williams™ Pinball by ZEN Studios Ltd.
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/williams-pinball/id1406370101?mt=8

Also available for Android.

Be aware, its like morph to be an add- watch, pay to unlock, do daily things Appstore game... just going to say that im not satisfied with this release tbh... most interesting thing about it is to spend real cash to win cash tournament, but if you want the same experience as consoles release, you might be disappointed.
Yeah, I've just fired this up and it's great to have on my phone for just dicking around, but why isn't there an option to just unlock the table packs like the console/PC versions? It looks like there is that option *kinda*, but you have to do that with "Zen coins". And best I can tell, it's around $7.50AU each. I don't even think that fully unlocks them, either.

The unlocking thing in it is so ridiculously confusing to me!

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I downloaded the beta app on Android, but when it asked me which table I wanked to unlock, I couldn't decide, so I just quit and haven't fired it back up yet, lol.

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I downloaded the beta app on Android, but when it asked me which table I wanked to unlock, I couldn't decide, so I just quit and haven't fired it back up yet, lol.
I just picked Getaway because IMO it's the easiest to score on, fewer shots and usually easier to hit. In hindsight, maybe should've picked AfM.

But now, of course, I've done all three daily challenges. So I guess I can't play any games anymore?

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've just fired this up and it's great to have on my phone for just dicking around, but why isn't there an option to just unlock the table packs like the console/PC versions? It looks like there is that option *kinda*, but you have to do that with "Zen coins". And best I can tell, it's around $7.50AU each. I don't even think that fully unlocks them, either.

The unlocking thing in it is so ridiculously confusing to me!

Well there is one, but it cost like 3 time more than usual.You buy like 2250 zen coins, it give you the option to buy the 7 tables at 250 coin each.

Cheaper way to obtain them, work them to lvl 2, shouldnt take long, and just buy the extra you want, like real physic option. Buuut, you cant play them offline...

It suck cause its way more expensive, but if you work it out a bit, could end up cheaper...if always online...

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
I just picked Getaway because IMO it's the easiest to score on, fewer shots and usually easier to hit. In hindsight, maybe should've picked AfM.

But now, of course, I've done all three daily challenges. So I guess I can't play any games anymore?

You can replay the lvl 1 challenge for 25 tickets, any time you want. Completing the three lv 1 challenge each time should give you at minimum around 50 tickets. There is also a 2 hours clock free 50 ticket with watch add in the store to boost your tickets.

Beginning tip, unless your really good at Black Rose, dont lvl it up yet. The challenge for it is very hard imo. So that way, you can get the other tables you lvl up when you restart the lvl 1 challenge by skipping Black Rose.

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Well there is one, but it cost like 3 time more than usual.You buy like 2250 zen coins, it give you the option to buy the 7 tables at 250 coin each.

Cheaper way to obtain them, work them to lvl 2, shouldnt take long, and just buy the extra you want, like real physic option. Buuut, you cant play them offline...

It suck cause its way more expensive, but if you work it out a bit, could end up cheaper...if always online...
How do you get them to level 2? Do you need to play each one? Because I thought you had to unlock each one, and I don't know how to do that :/

It's just too confusing.

Fake edit: The not playing online bit is completely bullshit, though. I play pinball on my iPad when I'm not playing on my Switch, and I don't have data for it. So I can't play it travelling to/from work :/

Actual edit: This answers my questions (for the most part)

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
How do you get them to level 2? Do you need to play each one? Because I thought you had to unlock each one, and I don't know how to do that :/

It's just too confusing.

Fake edit: The not playing online bit is completely bullshit, though. I play pinball on my iPad when I'm not playing on my Switch, and I don't have data for it. So I can't play it travelling to/from work :/

Actual edit: This answers my questions (for the most part)

Hmm nice find btw. Im understanding it a bit, but this give us a lot of answer on how long we need to work to get em like, free. The collect table parts, plus tickets, its somehow confusing at first. So far, got 3 tables at lvl 2, one other tomorrow for sure.

Daily challenge for Black Rose is very hard. If you like this table, go for it upgrading it, but i would love going back and put it back to zero stars so i dont see it in lvl 2 challenge, and its also my least favorite table out of the 7.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm skipping that app. I dislike those kinds of models. I'd outright buy the ones I really like if it didn't cost more than on other platforms, but it looks like it might be more expensive? I'll pass. I don't need to play these on my phone that badly and probably don't even play the PC/console versions enough as it is.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Ok wow. Williams Pinball on IOS is some real bullshit.

I decide to work a lot of time to try to get 3000 tickets to upgrade one of my 2 stars table to level 3, in order to be able to see what will be the requirement for level 4 upgrade, which would give me offline gameplay, pro physics, pro difficulty.Well, end up being the same product we have on console.

This is the level 4 requirement :

71060379-1-A5-C-4-D66-9593-44-BCC3-A8-BE51.png

It will cost me 100 zen coins. For the 7 tables, i will need 700 zen coins. A bulk of 850 zen coins is 27.99 CND. This is the same freakin price as buying both 2 packs on console. I will need to spend hours getting the tickets and parts, while watching constants 30 seconds adds when winning a challenges or playing lvl 2 advance challenges.

Or sure, i can spend 62.00 CND and buy the 7 tables right of the start with 1750 zen points.

Or cheapest and free ( not totally ) alternative, work my way to have all tables to lvl 2, which is not that hard to achieve, but will only be able to play single player games by being constantly online. Not totally free also cause i will need to spend 13.99$ CND to get 350 zen tickets to unlock pro physic, pro difficulty ( tournament difficulty) and visual extra. Or be just more causious with my spending and get a 150 Zen tickets for 6.99$ CND, and just buy the pro physics.

For the 15+ hours, if not more, i spent playing this game hoping my effort and precious time given watching all these freakin adds, the reward i get at the end will need me to spend the same amount of money as console, when i just buy instantly, no time lost, but on IOS, i need to invest crazy time for the same thing???

Fuck this mobile app. Seriously.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, count me out of that app. I hope they weren't banking on this thing's success to gauge future table support, because I'd be happy to pick up more tables, but what nothing to do with that app nonsense. When companies introduce models like that it puts me off on the company in general.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh

I decide to work a lot of time to try to get 3000 tickets to upgrade one of my 2 stars table to level 3, in order to be able to see what will be the requirement for level 4 upgrade, which would give me offline gameplay, pro physics, pro difficulty.Well, end up being the same product we have on console.

It will cost me 100 zen coins. For the 7 tables, i will need 700 zen coins. A bulk of 850 zen coins is 27.99 CND. This is the same freakin price as buying both 2 packs on console. I will need to spend hours getting the tickets and parts, while watching constants 30 seconds adds when winning a challenges or playing lvl 2 advance challenges.

Or sure, i can spend 62.00 CND and buy the 7 tables right of the start with 1750 zen points.

Or cheapest and free ( not totally ) alternative, work my way to have all tables to lvl 2, which is not that hard to achieve, but will only be able to play single player games by being constantly online. Not totally free also cause i will need to spend 13.99$ CND to get 350 zen tickets to unlock pro physic, pro difficulty ( tournament difficulty) and visual extra. Or be just more causious with my spending and get a 150 Zen tickets for 6.99$ CND, and just buy the pro physics.

For the 15+ hours, if not more, i spent playing this game hoping my effort and precious time given watching all these freakin adds, the reward i get at the end will need me to spend the same amount of money as console, when i just buy instantly, no time lost, but on IOS, i need to invest crazy time for the same thing???

Yeah, this isn't a fun model for selling their product, and I keep having it crash after watching these garbage videos....

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

That is some BS. I guess too from your description that you're incentivized to buy more zen coins than you actually need.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
That is some BS. I guess too from your description that you're incentivized to buy more zen coins than you actually need.
Well 350 poins at 13.99 x 2 = 27.98
800 is 27.99

There is not much saving, you get 50 extra zen coins.

If you buy all, best way to save is getting the 69.99 bundle, 2250 coins, can give you 2 extra table when they release more.

In a way you can get the table you really want. Like i would buy Fish Tales, Medieval Madness, Attack From Mars, Gateway. Maybe could be interested a bit in Party Zone and Junkyard, and have no interest in Black Rose ( it just not one of my favorite ). 69.99 give you 9 tables. It sound not bad, like around 7.50$ per table, but compare to console, getting all 10 tables, speculating pack 3 sill have three tables, 13.50$ per pack, so 40$, meaning 4$ a table.

Only plus side i like from mobile version is ability to change flipper skins.

Last edited:

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, give us the option to just buy the packs outright at the same price as the other platforms, or they can just shovel it.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone follow Pinside anymore?

When did Kaneda go from the person everyone loved to hate to someone with a podcast that people love?

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone follow Pinside anymore?

When did Kaneda go from the person everyone loved to hate to someone with a podcast that people love?
I have no fucking idea. All I know is that he threw a drink at someone at a tournament, and made fun of a podcaster on his own podcast days after he appeared on theirs (it's why Jeff Teolis despises him).

I remember hearing that mentioned on... what was it, C2C? Nate can't be that out of the loop :/

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I have no fucking idea. All I know is that he threw a drink at someone at a tournament, and made fun of a podcaster on his own podcast days after he appeared on theirs (it's why Jeff Teolis despises him).

I remember hearing that mentioned on... what was it, C2C? Nate can't be that out of the loop :/

Oof. Didn't know it got this shitty. Dude seems like a real douche.

Speaking of Nate, is he back now, too? He went on a pretty deep hiatus for a while, but I saw him release an episode or two on Facebook. I figured he finally burned out.

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Oof. Didn't know it got this shitty. Dude seems like a real douche.

Speaking of Nate, is he back now, too? He went on a pretty deep hiatus for a while, but I saw him release an episode or two on Facebook. I figured he finally burned out.
Yup, hrs back! Not as regular as we'd like though. Sad to hear he split with Theresa, too :(

Still wonder why he doesn't think that poorly of Kaneda. There's no reason to think highly of him at all.