• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Steve Ritchie better be on board or we RIOT!
Not joking!

In a related vein, I find the copyright notice interesting. I'm guessing "Williams Electronic Games" is the subsidiary of WMS/Scientific Games that inherited the Williams trademarks? For some reason I thought Stern got those...

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
More rumours:
Here's the rumors...

Tim Sexton is lead on code for the first time. The game has a clear upper playfield, along the lines of Zaccaria Farfalla or World Poker Tour with one flipper. The lead guitarist from Anthrax, Scott Ian, is doing the soundtrack for the game. This is likely where the rumors of a Stern Anthrax pinball machine came from. Stern is licensing the use of the Black Knight intellectual property from Scientific Games.

Steve Ritchie better be on board or we RIOT!
Not joking!

In a related vein, I find the copyright notice interesting. I'm guessing "Williams Electronic Games" is the subsidiary of WMS/Scientific Games that inherited the Williams trademarks? For some reason I thought Stern got those...
What? He's been talking about this game for ages, saying he's been working on an original theme since Star Wars.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if that Zen Pinball 2 > PFX3 cross-buy still works?

The only Marvel table I don't own is Dr Strange, but PFX3 doesn't let me buy just that and wants to sell me the bundle it is part of, which is paying too much.

The PS3 and Vita version of Dr Strange is still for sale, will that cross-buy to the PS4 version in PFX3?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Does anyone know if that Zen Pinball 2 > PFX3 cross-buy still works?

The only Marvel table I don't own is Dr Strange, but PFX3 doesn't let me buy just that and wants to sell me the bundle it is part of, which is paying too much.

The PS3 and Vita version of Dr Strange is still for sale, will that cross-buy to the PS4 version in PFX3?
You have to import them to PFX3, and most but not all are supported (you'll have to Google the list). I would assume PS3/Vita Dr Strange is only cross-buy with PS4 if the Store page says it is.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017

ZgLiFEM.jpg

Dont understand that, Stern is making a WMS table???

Oct 26, 2017
Dont understand that, Stern is making a WMS table???
I was confused too, and worried that Stern had purchased the Black Knight license. I much prefer PFX3, so I'm dying for BK2000 to drop.

Luckily, it seems like they're just licensing the IP for a new table, since Williams no longer makes tables. I'm down for that, even though something about Stern tables doesn't really click for me like Williams/Bally tables do. I can't even put my finger on why that is.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
I was confused too, and worried that Stern had purchased the Black Knight license. I much prefer PFX3, so I'm dying for BK2000 to drop.

Luckily, it seems like they're just licensing the IP for a new table, since Williams no longer makes tables. I'm down for that, even though something about Stern tables doesn't really click for me like Williams/Bally tables do. I can't even put my finger on why that is.

Oh. Was a bit worried. Want to see Black Knight tables in PFX3. I also got the same feeling as you, Stern Pinballs are not my favorites, but im curious to see if the new Black Knight will have some magic into it. Hell if its good, if Stern can grab other old license and make new tables, why not, i will be very happy to see that!

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Has anyone been successful in purchasing/downloading/playing The Williams Collection vol 3 on Switch yet? It doesn't appear in the eshop, and when I have tried buying it on the website, but it just throws an error. I tweeted to the FX3 account about it, and they acted as if they didn't know about what was happening, and sent me to the website again. I responded to them with a screen cap of the error from the site, and have heard nothing back since. I responded mid-week, and they haven't responded to that either.

I really want to play it, but they literally won't take my money.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone been successful in purchasing/downloading/playing The Williams Collection vol 3 on Switch yet? It doesn't appear in the eshop, and when I have tried buying it on the website, but it just throws an error. I tweeted to the FX3 account about it, and they acted as if they didn't know about what was happening, and sent me to the website again. I responded to them with a screen cap of the error from the site, and have heard nothing back since. I responded mid-week, and they haven't responded to that either.

I really want to play it, but they literally won't take my money.

Tap 'Williams' in the search box of Eshop. You should see vol.3 listed there.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
So...Zaccaria Pinball is now available on Xbox One.

There's one free table. All dlc tables can be played with a score limit.

There's a lot of dlc, like the Retro dlc which includes 27 retro tables for 2 dollars.

Any impressions?

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
A lot of tables are on sale on PSN right now. I purchased the Williams tables, some classic tables and some from Marvel. Lot of stuff to play now. I'm at 55 tables currently...

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
So...Zaccaria Pinball is now available on Xbox One.

There's one free table. All dlc tables can be played with a score limit.

There's a lot of dlc, like the Retro dlc which includes 27 retro tables for 2 dollars.

Any impressions?

Zaccaria is not bad, but not amazing too. I have some reserve on ball physic, and i gave it a good try ( bought like everything on Switch ) . The retro table imo is the best deal i think they are more fun than the original. Get em, for 2$ its an amazing value!

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Zaccaria is not bad, but not amazing too. I have some reserve on ball physic, and i gave it a good try ( bought like everything on Switch ) . The retro table imo is the best deal i think they are more fun than the original. Get em, for 2$ its an amazing value!

The retro tables in Zaccaria are great. Chasing high-scores in them is very fun because the tables are kind of brutal, so play sessions are quick and exciting. While I do like the original tables, since I bought the retro tables pack (there was a sale a while ago) they're all I've been playing.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
The retro tables in Zaccaria are great. Chasing high-scores in them is very fun because the tables are kind of brutal, so play sessions are quick and exciting. While I do like the original tables, since I bought the retro tables pack (there was a sale a while ago) they're all I've been playing.

I think the best tables are the old EM packs ans those Retro. I just love those old bumper sounds, no musics in background, and more simple tables . I just wish sometime that Farsight could produce more old 70's Gottlieb pinball, cause im often going back to TPA playing Big Shot, Centigrade, Wild Card, El Dorado, Jacks Open, they just feel like more relaxing pinballs, And crossing fingers that Zen will look at that 70's period to produce some old EM ones. Old pinballs need more love! Only way to play them is with Visual Pinball and i just cant figure out to properly set it up for simple play on my laptop.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that EU perhaps? I'm not seeing anything on US PSN.

It's the sale I mentioned previously, and it has ended now.

New sale has started but only Core and sci-fi packs are on sale. Sci-fi is part of Zen Originals bundle (+classic pack and medieval pack) so maybe best waiting for sale of the bundle and just getting Core for now.

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
FYI, Jersey Jack Pinball are officially announcing/unveiling their next machine in the next day or so. Unless I've completely picked up the wrong vibe, it's (classic) Willy Wonka (and apparently a "game changer").

I'm pretty excited about it, and TBH surprised that it's going to somehow take the wind out of Stern's Black Knight title.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Just saw some videos of the Willie Wonka pinball. While I have no attachment to the theme, I think it's a brilliant idea -- not only is it a great fit for Pat Lawlor's design sensibilities, but the game has the potential to be big, by attracting both older players (who remember the movie) and younger players (who remember the memes from the movie). Definitely keeping an eye on this one.

Wapcaplet

Oct 31, 2017

Mel Kirk is the VP of Publishing at Zen. On the left is Gary Stern.

Looks like the final nail in Pinball Arcade's coffin is coming soon...

Last edited:

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

Mel Kirk is the VP of Publishing at Zen. On the left is Gary Stern.

Looks like the final nail in Pinball Arcade's coffin is coming soon...

Holy shit megaton

I will forever thank Farsight Studios even with all of their shitty QA practices, if it weren't for them we would have been stuck with shitty gamey physics and fantasy pinball only and instead they were pioneers and made me discover a whole world of pinball masterpieces beyond TAF and T2

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Holy shit megaton

I will forever thank Farsight Studios even with all of their shitty QA practices, if it weren't for them we would have been stuck with shitty gamey physics and fantasy pinball only and instead they were pioneers and made me discover a whole world of pinball masterpieces beyond TAF and T2
Hear, hear. Pinball Arcade might have its problems, but I will always be thankful to Farsight for kicking off the whole digital recreations of real-life pins. I truly believe that the current renewed interest in pinball today is due in no small part to TPA reintroducing classic tables to a new generation.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit megaton

Hear, hear. Pinball Arcade might have its problems, but I will always be thankful to Farsight for kicking off the whole digital recreations of real-life pins. I truly believe that the current renewed interest in pinball today is due in no small part to TPA reintroducing classic tables to a new generation.

I totally agree. What Farsight did is just amazing, makes me discover digital pinball cause everything else before that, well, sucked. If Stern is swithing to Zen for their future pinballs, it only give Gottlieb left for them. Now i hope they do something about it, i mean, there is tons of EM and SS 70s tables that are interesting and i hope they can reproduce. Imoften go back to TPA playing more ´relaxing' pinballs like Big Shot, El Dorado, Centigrade, Genie,Jacks Open.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

Yup, for all of their issues, they played a big part in its resurgence, and I appreciate that.

Really interested in what's going on with the Stern license now.

If I can get Iron Maiden with Zen production values, I'll be over the moon.
edit: oh wait, how can they even do Iron Maiden justice with their current rating restrictions.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm dying for more info on Williams Pack 4 for FX3. Hoping for TotAN and BK2000. At least, of the tables that aren't licensed. Of those that are, I'd love Addams Family and Star Trek TNG. I don't think we'll see those for a while though. :(

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Stick a fork in them...

Pinball Arcade has been fundamentally broken since January on steam, the PA/farsight accounts don't work, crash the game or don't send any score, achievement data anymore.
Digital future etc. I hope people who jumped on the virtual pin iteration aren't left floundering either. But yeah, it really does sound like they're done.

Have any of their apps been updated on *any* platform in the last 6 months?

Edit:
I totally agree. What Farsight did is just amazing, makes me discover digital pinball cause everything else before that, well, sucked. If Stern is swithing to Zen for their future pinballs, it only give Gottlieb left for them. Now i hope they do something about it, i mean, there is tons of EM and SS 70s tables that are interesting and i hope they can reproduce. Imoften go back to TPA playing more ´relaxing' pinballs like Big Shot, El Dorado, Centigrade, Genie,Jacks Open.
Yeah, same. Shit, I bought a PS3 because Williams Pinball Classics was on it and region free (and wasn't released in Australia, at least, not for a very long time). Sad, but they spread themselves far, FAR too thin with the platforms they released on. Should've kept it to mobile, PC and maybe one or two consoles.
Never fixed bugs either, the spinner sound bug on High Speed for mobile always frustrated me. And the texture lighting problem on that one plastic for AfM :/

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Digital future etc. I hope people who jumped on the virtual pin iteration aren't left floundering either. But yeah, it really does sound like they're done.

Have any of their apps been updated on *any* platform in the last 6 months?

Edit:

Yeah, same. Shit, I bought a PS3 because Williams Pinball Classics was on it and region free (and wasn't released in Australia, at least, not for a very long time). Sad, but they spread themselves far, FAR too thin with the platforms they released on. Should've kept it to mobile, PC and maybe one or two consoles.
Never fixed bugs either, the spinner sound bug on High Speed for mobile always frustrated me. And the texture lighting problem on that one plastic for AfM :/

Their latest pack, with Big Buck and Juicy Melon, is not even out yet on Switch. I mean, wtf are they doing. They often updste their mobile version, but everytime, they add a freakin bug somewhere.

I dont understand this company. Even if just stuck with Gottlieb, there is tons they could release. If Zaccaria can be succesful with their game, which , speaking of personal taste, is a bit inferior ball physics and tables than TPA,why the hell Farsight are not doing some retro pack like em, i will throw them my money without hesitation. I just wish sometime a new company grab the license and do something great with it.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I dont understand this company. Even if just stuck with Gottlieb, there is tons they could release. If Zaccaria can be succesful with their game, which , speaking of personal taste, is a bit inferior ball physics and tables than TPA,why the hell Farsight are not doing some retro pack like em, i will throw them my money without hesitation.
Never underestimate how demoralizing losing the Williams/Bally stuff could be to the team. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out most of their staff left or got laid off; who knows what kind of financial hit they've taken?

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Never underestimate how demoralizing losing the Williams/Bally stuff could be to the team. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out most of their staff left or got laid off; who knows what kind of financial hit they've taken?

I understand that. Its a big hit for them for sure, lot of hard work, and now, no chance to cash in on it in the future. But still, being radio silence on what they want to do next, for how long now, nearly a year, its the part that hard to understand, cause there is still fans of TPA ( still am ). Do they want to concentrate on one or two Stern table a year? Take the Gottlieb license and do something out of it? Look at Spooky, Highway Pinball, Jersey Jack? Working on a more competitive engine? Its sure less attractive than WMS license, but as i said, if Zac are able to be succesful with their game ( which is a license way less popular than Gott - Stern ), they have some tools in their hand to do something. Simple communication with their fanbase would be a plus, to know whats next, or if there is a next. The shock effect was from last June.

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Their latest pack, with Big Buck and Juicy Melon, is not even out yet on Switch.
Remember how the Williams tables came out on Switch and were pulled super quickly, all because of the license going bust? Methinks it's the same reason we haven't seen any updates to the Switch version with WNBJM and BBH.

I understand that. Its a big hit for them for sure, lot of hard work, and now, no chance to cash in on it in the future. But still, being radio silence on what they want to do next, for how long now, nearly a year, its the part that hard to understand, cause there is still fans of TPA ( still am ).
I guess technically there isn't radio silence, because they're still streaming every few Friday or so. I still get the notifications!

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
The reason people are so upset with Farsight is that they squandered their potential, they started something awesome but wasn't able to maintain and develop what they started, they also made promises that they didn't deliver on. The whole software is outdated in terms of graphics, UI etc, is serviceable but that's about it. They promised VR for Pinball Arcade for years but it never happened, eventually Stern Pinball VR was released as a separate product for Rift with only Stern tables that you would have to buy again and that's not at all what they promised.

If I was the license owner I would see what people were doing in Visual Pinball and Future Pinball in their free time, what kind of amazing results hobbyists got and compare it to what Farsight was doing professionally and react to that gap.

Most likely all of this is due to internal difficulties at the company that we know nothing about and it's all a bit sad.

Remember how the Williams tables came out on Switch and were pulled super quickly, all because of the license going bust? Methinks it's the same reason we haven't seen any updates to the Switch version with WNBJM and BBH.

The reason the tables got pulled from Switch was that the license they had didn't cover Switch as a platform, releasing the tables on Switch could also be the last straw that made them lose the license. The licenses are usually very specific what you are allowed to do down to exact product name and platform. Hence why we haven't seen Zen's Marvel or Star Wars table on the platform (Star Wars is coming later this year = probably a new license deal).

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I cant believe after all this time I still cant buy individual PA tables on Steam. I'm not going to buy a pack where I own every table except one.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
The reason people are so upset with Farsight is that they squandered their potential, they started something awesome but wasn't able to maintain and develop what they started, they also made promises that they didn't deliver on. The whole software is outdated in terms of graphics, UI etc, is serviceable but that's about it. They promised VR for Pinball Arcade for years but it never happened, eventually Stern Pinball VR was released as a separate product for Rift with only Stern tables that you would have to buy again and that's not at all what they promised.

If I was the license owner I would see what people were doing in Visual Pinball and Future Pinball in their free time, what kind of amazing results hobbyists got and compare it to what Farsight was doing professionally and react to that gap.

Most likely all of this is due to internal difficulties at the company that we know nothing about and it's all a bit sad.

The reason the tables got pulled from Switch was that the license they had didn't cover Switch as a platform, releasing the tables on Switch could also be the last straw that made them lose the license. The licenses are usually very specific what you are allowed to do down to exact product name and platform. Hence why we haven't seen Zen's Marvel or Star Wars table on the platform (Star Wars is coming later this year = probably a new license deal).

I realise that after trying Visual Pinball. Im just amazed on how the community there, and some members are doing sick job doing all these tables. Not going to make this my main pinball platform,still prefer playability of TPA and Zen, but it give me the chance to try these older pinballs i was just looking at videos on youtube, Its where i see now thats a bit hard to understand how Farsight just dont do anything with their Gottlieb license. There is a lot of good tables left they could reproduce, and some members in VP are simply doing a better job in term of speed delivering content.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
I cant believe after all this time I still cant buy individual PA tables on Steam. I'm not going to buy a pack where I own every table except one.

Take the chance to email their support, gently explaining the situation. Maybe they can do something about it. They might suck for delivering content, but their customer support about situation like that were good imo about me having similar issue.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the "dangerous" planning stages of a virtual pinball table now. I'm thinking of buying a widebody, putting in a 4k 43" screen with a full feedback kit. I already have 4 arcade cabs in my house. I might have to move one to storage if I get a virtual pinball cab to save my marriage, lol.

Anyone here who has a virtual cab have any pointers, or is open to me PM'ing them with future questions? I'm thinking of using pin-up popper since it seems to be the best front end going right now but I don't plan on doing the actual extra top screen. I want to just have the playfield, DMD, and backglass.