• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I'm in the "dangerous" planning stages of a virtual pinball table now. I'm thinking of buying a widebody, putting in a 4k 43" screen with a full feedback kit. I already have 4 arcade cabs in my house. I might have to move one to storage if I get a virtual pinball cab to save my marriage, lol.

Anyone here who has a virtual cab have any pointers, or is open to me PM'ing them with future questions? I'm thinking of using pin-up popper since it seems to be the best front end going right now but I don't plan on doing the actual extra top screen. I want to just have the playfield, DMD, and backglass.

Have you tried VR Pinball? VPX VR is still early but has lots of potential, heard several veterans say they are gonna sell their cabs in favor of VR because of the sense of presence and depth. It would save you some space and money. :)

Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried VR Pinball? VPX VR is still early but has lots of potential, heard several veterans say they are gonna sell their cabs in favor of VR because of the sense of presence and depth. It would save you some space and money. :)

I'm one of those people who gets sick when using VR. I got to try all of the different headsets at PAX and each time I felt ill. Plus I would still need to buy a beefy PC to do VR and I only need a moderate one for a virtual pinball table.

I feel like the virtual tables have finally reached a point where they are getting so close to the real thing.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Also thinking about making a small setup for a ´like cabinet', i was thinking using my Surface Book as the Backglass - DMD screen, and getting a similar size width screen for playfield , and was thinking about buying an X-Arcade stick to go with it. Wont look like a real pin, but its where i want to invest.

But wondering, setting up a cabinet with 2 screen, does that required more horsepower? Thinking before doing it ill try it with my old LCD in my house, cause my surface book is not bad for playing single screen desktop ( playing in 1080p ), wondering if more horsepower is need for 2 screen.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Also thinking about making a small setup for a ´like cabinet', i was thinking using my Surface Book as the Backglass - DMD screen, and getting a similar size width screen for playfield , and was thinking about buying an X-Arcade stick to go with it. Wont look like a real pin, but its where i want to invest.

But wondering, setting up a cabinet with 2 screen, does that required more horsepower? Thinking before doing it ill try it with my old LCD in my house, cause my surface book is not bad for playing single screen desktop ( playing in 1080p ), wondering if more horsepower is need for 2 screen.

Not sure how much rendering a backglass adds but I can't imagine it being very heavy, but you will need some cream for some of the latest remakes like AFM and Cirque Voltaire as those are pretty demanding (but they look pretty damn awesome to boot).

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 4k virtual cabinet with ssf and addressable LED that I built myself. I would join the virtual pinball junkies facebook page. I run everything off a 1060 right now, 3 screens, one 4k tv, on 720p tv for backglass, and one DMD. I would suggest a 1070 or higher if you want to run 4k. Here is an old video of my dad playing some Tron, the tables have gotten progressively more realistic in VPX.

Last edited:

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Ok thank for the info. I really dont plan to go 4k like, will be using my Surface Book, it got a GT940M and run everything pretty much very smoothly to my liking. Ill do some more testing before going forward, like testing tables in cabinet mode on my tv to see if its more demanding.

Not sure how much rendering a backglass adds but I can't imagine it being very heavy, but you will need some cream for some of the latest remakes like AFM and Cirque Voltaire as those are pretty demanding (but they look pretty damn awesome to boot).

Agree, Cirqus Voltaire is simply amazing! I run it, but i see some hick up here and there. If i really enjoy what im seeing, i will be very tempt to build a real cab one day. Im just very happy to test out some pins i never played in real life ( there is a lot ! )

BTW iv seen people having like a menu where they choose their tables, with table logo and rendering in the backgroud, what is this add-on called?

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 4k virtual cabinet with ssf and addressable LED that I built myself. I would join the virtual pinball junkies facebook page. I run everything off a 1060 right now, 3 screens, one 4k tv, on 720p tv for backglass, and one DMD. I would suggest a 1070 or higher if you want to run 4k. Here is an old video of my dad playing some Tron, the tables have gotten progressively more realistic in VPX.

That table looks nice. I don't want to do the LEDs but I do want to do 4K and was thinking of getting a 1660ti. I don't have facebook nor do I want to sign up. Are any of the forums good for virtual pinball? The few VP focused places I looked at seemed like a ghost town except for a few prominent posters.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok thank for the info. I really dont plan to go 4k like, will be using my Surface Book, it got a GT940M and run everything pretty much very smoothly to my liking. Ill do some more testing before going forward, like testing tables in cabinet mode on my tv to see if its more demanding.

Agree, Cirqus Voltaire is simply amazing! I run it, but i see some hick up here and there. If i really enjoy what im seeing, i will be very tempt to build a real cab one day. Im just very happy to test out some pins i never played in real life ( there is a lot ! )

BTW iv seen people having like a menu where they choose their tables, with table logo and rendering in the backgroud, what is this add-on called?

The two good front ends I've seen are Pinball X and Pinup Popper. Pinup Popper is the latest one and seems to beat Pinball X in terms of adjustments and speed.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
That table looks nice. I don't want to do the LEDs but I do want to do 4K and was thinking of getting a 1660ti. I don't have facebook nor do I want to sign up. Are any of the forums good for virtual pinball? The few VP focused places I looked at seemed like a ghost town except for a few prominent posters.
I did most of my research just across google, that facebook page I found after the fact and it has lots of great info and people to answer questions. Its the opposite of most thing for me, I dont use Facebook groups for much at all but pinball stuff.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
grendelrt, that is amazing. Tron and pinball...

I grew up with a Bally Space Invaders that my dad and I played every night. It's the table thats used as a weapon in Captain Marvel!

Anyway I hadnt loaded Zen on my new ps and I forgot all about the Bally Williams license news. I love these tables, cant stop playing Safecracker, but seriously waiting for Space Invaders to show.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Any Pinball Arcade players on Switch? Stern Table Pack 1 is 50% off in the NA eshop.

Tables are:
  • Ripley's Believe it or Not!®
  • Star Trek™ Vengeance Premium
  • Starship Troopers™
  • AC/DC® Premium
  • Flight 2000™

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Hm, I'd almost consider getting it at that price. Are the physics still kinda basic compared to Zen's "pro" physics?

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Hm, I'd almost consider getting it at that price. Are the physics still kinda basic compared to Zen's "pro" physics?
I like the Pinball Arcade physics engine (or I'm just so used to it after playing them on my iPhone for so long), but I just checked and apparently SPA isn't compatible with the Flip Grip. Bummer!

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I like the Pinball Arcade physics engine (or I'm just so used to it after playing them on my iPhone for so long), but I just checked and apparently SPA isn't compatible with the Flip Grip. Bummer!
Yeah, it's hard to support them even they don't have the Williams or seemingly Stern licences anymore when they can't even patch that shit in for a single platform.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I don't think anyone has mentioned yet that PSN has a Star Wars sale on Pinball FX3. Lots of packs about 60% off, until Tuesday morning US time.

Pinball FX3 - Bethesda Pinball - $5.49 - 50% Off - $4.39 - 60% Off - Ends 5/7
Pinball FX3 - Star Wars Pinball - $2.99 - 70% Off - $1.99 - 80% Off - Ends 5/7
Pinball FX3 - Star Wars Pinball: Balance of the Force - $4.99 - 50% Off - $3.99 - 60% Off - Ends 5/7
Pinball FX3 - Star Wars Pinball: The Force Awakens Pack - $2.49 - 50% Off - $1.99 - 60% Off - Ends 5/7
Pinball FX3 - Star Wars Pinball: Heroes Within - $4.99 - 50% Off - $3.99 - 60% Off - Ends 5/7
Pinball FX3 - Star Wars Pinball:The Last Jedi - $3.49 - 50% Off - $2.79 - 60% Off - Ends 5/7
Pinball FX3 - Star Wars Pinball: Season 1 Bundle - $16.79 - 30% Off - $19.19 - 40% Off - Ends 5/7
Pinball FX3 - Star Wars Pinball: Season 2 Bundle - $16.79 - 30% Off - $14.39 - 40% Off - Ends 5/7
Pinball FX3 - Star Wars Pinball: Solo Pack - $4.99 - 50% Off - $3.99 - 60% Off - Ends 5/7
Pinball FX3 - Star Wars Pinball: Unsung Heroes - $3.49 - 50% Off - $2.79 - 60% Off - Ends 5/7

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know when Williams Pack 4 is being announced for PFX3? IIRC it's slated for this month, and they usually announce a couple weeks before release.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I struggled like hell all of last Summer to get over the built-in high score for Addams Family. Cracked their 427 million with 453, being one away from getting Tour the Mansion.

Tonight, after only dabbling a few times a week for the past few weeks? 559 million. The end was insane. Tour the Mansion stacking all sorts of stuff on top of me, maxed out Graveyard so that every Swamp shot got me 20 million points, a second-round Multiball where I scored a triple jackpot.

Probably time to set it aside again for a while.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Anyone know when Williams Pack 4 is being announced for PFX3? IIRC it's slated for this month, and they usually announce a couple weeks before release.

It has to soon if they are keeping to the May release schedule. Has to have at least one of Arabian Nights, Circus Voltaire or White Water. Maybe a Black Knight unless it has some sort of outside trademarks?

Finally got Pinball Arcade working again, sort of, on Steam. The DX11 version is broken but my account is working again but there are no friends score and my goals have all reset to zero. Playing the 32-bit version means after about 5 tables it crashes due to memory running out!

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Not really feeling this pack. Hoping we get some outside licensed stuff soon, like Monster Bash.
Still hoping for Bride of Pinbot, but is that one they can't do because of super strict ratings?

If they actually do get Stern, are they screwed by ratings there as well for ones like Walking Dead, Metallica and Maiden?

Oct 26, 2017
Not a huge fan of the pack out of the gate. I don't have a lot of experience with any of the tables. Roadshow is fairly big, and Hurricane is a classic, but I've never heard of White Water. That's due to my own ignorance though, as I've only recently gotten into pinball.

I'm sure I'll still enjoy the tables though. I usually discover a new table I like in these packs. But the last three packs also came with a table I had pre-existing love for -- High Speed II, Attack From Mars, and Theatre of Magic. Ah well, can't have everything all the time!

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Not really feeling this pack. Hoping we get some outside licensed stuff soon, like Monster Bash.
Still hoping for Bride of Pinbot, but is that one they can't do because of super strict ratings?

If they actually do get Stern, are they screwed by ratings there as well for ones like Walking Dead, Metallica and Maiden?

I think Zen's current release schedule would actually have them produce every Bally/Williams non-licensed DMD by the end of this year, so licensed tables are going to have to start coming at some point in the near future. Either that or they start producing alphanumeric (is this the right term?) tables like Funhouse and Black Knight 2000, but supposedly those are very unappealing for the FX3 playerbase.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I think Zen's current release schedule would actually have them produce every Bally/Williams non-licensed DMD by the end of this year, so licensed tables are going to have to start coming at some point in the near future. Either that or they start producing alphanumeric (is this the right term?) tables like Funhouse and Black Knight 2000, but supposedly those are very unappealing for the FX3 playerbase.

Oh, interesting. I didn't realize they've been burning through the non-licensed stuff so quickly.

Oct 26, 2017

If BK2000 is unappealing to anyone, they've fucked up somewhere in life. =P

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
If memory serves, I think there are are at least a handful of Williams tables without DMDs that I think the general audience would still be into like Funhouse, Bride of Pinbot and BK2000. At the very least these three need to be done.

Maybe they could just go heavier on the FX3 mode with all the animations and stuff to compensate.

Oct 27, 2017
Lack of DMD is no reason to not like a table. As 2n2 mentioned, tables like Funhouse and Bride of Pinbot are amazing and do not need a DMD to be appealing.

All of you are sleeping on White Water although it will be interesting to see how they deal with the transparent overlays. I need to go watch the trailer now.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Not a huge fan of the pack out of the gate. I don't have a lot of experience with any of the tables. Roadshow is fairly big, and Hurricane is a classic, but I've never heard of White Water.
Road Show is a more polished sequel to Funhouse, and far superior IMO. Hurricane is a fun and simple title (though I still think the original Comet was the best of the trilogy), and White Water is a fun game off the beaten path -- the table looks constricted at first, but once you learn the layout it really opens up all over the place.
But the last three packs also came with a table I had pre-existing love for -- High Speed II, Attack From Mars, and Theatre of Magic. Ah well, can't have everything all the time!
My problem is that the last few packs have one table I like and two I don't care much for, so I'm more hesitant to drop money on them. But that's my own damn fault; I should just buy them all to show my support and give my Flip Grip more use.
Lack of DMD is no reason to not like a table. As 2n2 mentioned, tables like Funhouse and Bride of Pinbot are amazing and do not need a DMD to be appealing.
Amen to that. A lot of my all-time favorite pins are from the pre-DMD era -- Eight Ball Deluxe, High Speed, Elvira and the Party Monsters, Centaur...

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
My problem is that the last few packs have one table I like and two I don't care much for, so I'm more hesitant to drop money on them. But that's my own damn fault; I should just buy them all to show my support and give my Flip Grip more use.

That's kinda how I've felt. I bought up a bunch of Pinball Arcade tables on several platforms before the Williams tables went away, which wasn't cheap, so I've been hesitant to buy these until a sale. Which doesn't really support their efforts. I only bought the first pack on Steam.

Hopefully, these are doing well enough for them to keep going.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
That's kinda how I've felt. I bought up a bunch of Pinball Arcade tables on several platforms before the Williams tables went away, which wasn't cheap, so I've been hesitant to buy these until a sale. Which doesn't really support their efforts. I only bought the first pack on Steam.

Hopefully, these are doing well enough for them to keep going.

The tables play so much better than they do on TPA though, they feel completely different so defo worth a double dip....only problem is once you play the Zen version its almost impossible to go back to TPA version

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Looking threw pinside at whats left for DMD pinballs, i think its pretty easy to figure out the next 2 pack, removing licensed vs non licensed one:

Bally non licensed DMD left

Circus Voltaire

Who Dunnit

Cactus Canyon

Revenge From Mars

Bally Licensed

Nba fastbreak

Scarred Stiff

Indy 500

The Shadow

Addams Family

Corvette

Popeye

World Cup Soccer

Judge Dredd

Twilight Zone

Creature from Black Lagoon

Doctor Who

Guilligan Island

Williams non licensed DMD left

Monster Bash

No good Goofers

Totan

Jack bot

Licensed

Star Wars EP1

Congo

Johnny Mnemonic

No Fear

Dirty Harry

Flintstones

Demolition Man

Indiana Jones

Bram Stoker Dracula

Terminator 2

Guessing bext Bally pack will be

- Circus Voltaire
- Cactus Canyon
- Who Dunnit

Id be surprise to see Revenge from Mars, but hey, we never know.

Next Williams Pack will be

- Monster Bash
- Totan
- No good Goffers

Jack Bot for the E rating miiiight be harder to put in.

Unless they surprise us with licensed stuff, i think that pretty much settle it.

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
Sad that TOTAN isn't part of vol 4 but I'll definitely still buy the pack to help ensure those tables keep flowing.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Bash is licensed from Universal Studios as the monsters are based on their designs.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Bash is licensed from Universal Studios as the monsters are based on their designs.
Yeah your right, just read that. Guess they have already a deal with their Universal Pack. Perhaps it will be easier to put it into it? Or else i wouldnt mind getting Jack Bot instead ! ( personal preference ;) ).

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
They should throw Funhouse or Bride of Pinbot into a pack regardelss.

I like Funhouse more than Roadshow so I still want to see it.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Regarding the cost of tables, consider what a real pinball cost or what you could easily spend at an arcade and you will see that the cost for the digital version is very low. If there's a table you haven't seen or played before give it a chance maybe you'll discover something new that you'll love.

Not a huge fan of the pack out of the gate. I don't have a lot of experience with any of the tables. Roadshow is fairly big, and Hurricane is a classic, but I've never heard of White Water. That's due to my own ignorance though, as I've only recently gotten into pinball.

I'm sure I'll still enjoy the tables though. I usually discover a new table I like in these packs. But the last three packs also came with a table I had pre-existing love for -- High Speed II, Attack From Mars, and Theatre of Magic. Ah well, can't have everything all the time!

White Water is a very popular and well received table, it's ranked 24 on pinside, you might en up positively surprised.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Some tidbits from the Blahcade podcast interview with Zen

-Six non-licensed DMD tables left
-Alphanumerics are coming
-First licensed tables expected to hit around Halloween
-New flipper physics on Williams tables where flippers react property to contact with the ball and can affect the ball (currently only for Volume 4 IIRC)