• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering if anyone had impressions of Theatre of Magic in Pinball FX on the Switch, mainly on performance? It was my favorite irl machine and I've played countless hours in Pinball Arcade, however I don't want to spend $10 unless it's a good experience. Also can you turn off the arcady stuff like the added magician figure and extra effects?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering if anyone had impressions of Theatre of Magic in Pinball FX on the Switch, mainly on performance? It was my favorite irl machine and I've played countless hours in Pinball Arcade, however I don't want to spend $10 unless it's a good experience. Also can you turn off the arcady stuff like the added magician figure and extra effects?

I haven't played that one yet, but the new physics engine they made for the Williams tables is good. Others here are probably better suited to specifics.
For visuals, you can run any of the Williams tables in their original form without all the added characters, animations and stuff. They're two different visual modes that you can switch between on the fly if you want.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played that one yet, but the new physics engine they made for the Williams tables is good. Others here are probably better suited to specifics.
For visuals, you can run any of the Williams tables in their original form without all the added characters, animations and stuff. They're two different visual modes that you can switch between on the fly if you want.

Thanks! After trying one of the free tables I went ahead and bought the pack, performance seems like it will be fine.

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
Honest question, how do you guys choose which tables you play, especially with TPA/PFX3? I find myself sticking with a table for a half dozen tries and then getting ADHD and distracted by the other 140+ options.

Contrast to 5-6 years ago when I had no money and had three options: Sorcerer's Lair (free), Tales of the Arabian Nights (free), and Twilight Zone ($5 or $10, can't remember). Actually learned each table through and through, and got a deeper appreciation.

Do you just pick one table to hit all kinds of goals on? Enter into TPA/PFX3 tournaments? Stick with new releases until you master them, in time for the next batch?

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Honest question, how do you guys choose which tables you play, especially with TPA/PFX3? I find myself sticking with a table for a half dozen tries and then getting ADHD and distracted by the other 140+ options.
I play the tables I like and (try to) get really high scores on them. I've had multi-week stretches where I played nothing but Eight Ball Deluxe, then The Addams Family, then Red & Ted's Road Show, then Gorgar, etc. If a table doesn't interest me, I'll drop it like a hot potato, like The Championship Pub or Ripley's Believe It Or Not!

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Oh snap

if the first licensed Williams table in FX3 is around Halloween, that pretty much confirms that it's going to be Addams Family right

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
^^^ Disney now has the rights to that license, so I hope that's what we get. It's my all-time favorite real-life pinball machine. Maybe Christopher Lloyd will ease up and allow his likeness and voice next time.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
A Halloween pack of Addams Family, Monster Bash and Elvira ( or Scarred Stiff ), could be something.

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
How are they going to do Elvira with an E rating?
Scared Stiff came with a "modesty sticker" to use on the backglass for covering up Elvira's cleavage, and there are censorship options in the ROM itself re: some callouts etc. They've modified other stuff in ROMs as well I think (I suspect there's a few things in The Getaway, for example), so it wouldn't be difficult for them at all.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Scared Stiff came with a "modesty sticker" to use on the backglass for covering up Elvira's cleavage, and there are censorship options in the ROM itself re: some callouts etc. They've modified other stuff in ROMs as well I think (I suspect there's a few things in The Getaway, for example), so it wouldn't be difficult for them at all.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

I'm not super hung up on that specific one, but what's gonna kill me is if Zen does some Stern tables and not being able to do Iron Maiden at all.

From listening to that podcast, I bet their Stern collab will be for Disney IP Stern tables. I do hope they can find a way for Maiden. I want it so bad.

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
I play the tables I like and (try to) get really high scores on them. I've had multi-week stretches where I played nothing but Eight Ball Deluxe, then The Addams Family, then Red & Ted's Road Show, then Gorgar, etc. If a table doesn't interest me, I'll drop it like a hot potato, like The Championship Pub or Ripley's Believe It Or Not!
Simple, but probably really the only approach there is. Have been meaning to play more of White Water, so maybe I'll use the PFX3 release as a catalyst. I weirdly fell for Big Shot really hard and played nothing but it for a couple dozen hours, so I get the value of dedicated time. Though I"m inclined to ignore your advice because you don't immediately like Championship Pub. ;)

If that means Tron, I'm cool with that.
Oh heck yes. Have only played for like a half hour once, but I really enjoyed it.
------------
I really appreciate the integration of the Williams/Bally tables in PFX3, but has anybody looked at the iOS versions? You can buy the 10 available tables outright for $30 (a reasonable price I may/may not take advantage of), but the platform is a F2P scumpool that has tournaments you can pay real money to get currency for. Seems perilously close to gambling.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I really appreciate the integration of the Williams/Bally tables in PFX3, but has anybody looked at the iOS versions? You can buy the 10 available tables outright for $30 (a reasonable price I may/may not take advantage of), but the platform is a F2P scumpool that has tournaments you can pay real money to get currency for. Seems perilously close to gambling.

I fired up the app, and was immediately put off by everything about it. I got play store credit about to expire I need to use up, but I can't bring myself to put any money toward that thing. I'll rent a movie or something with it instead.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Simple, but probably really the only approach there is. Have been meaning to play more of White Water, so maybe I'll use the PFX3 release as a catalyst. I weirdly fell for Big Shot really hard and played nothing but it for a couple dozen hours, so I get the value of dedicated time. Though I"m inclined to ignore your advice because you don't immediately like Championship Pub. ;)

Oh heck yes. Have only played for like a half hour once, but I really enjoyed it.
------------

Well, if you dont look at the part for the tournaments, i think its fine. Pay the deal once, you get all tables, play as much as you want. I think it play pretty damn well on IOS, and they are the uncensored version. If you dont want to pay, getting all tables up to level 2 is not that hard, but you get to stay always online to play them. Or pay 30$ and have your mind at peace.

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
Tables do play well, but the unlock only brought tables to 2 stars, and it costs $5 to buy the pro physics for each table unless it's upgraded to 4 stars. Ultimately don't regret the purchase, as the iOS version are realllly snappy versus Switch w/wireless controller (gf and I have weeknight competitions instead of watching tv), but it's a little annoying. If nothing else, unlocking everything will be a fun challenge for the commute each day.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
How do you buy the tables outright w/ the real physics? You gotta buy the dumb crystals first? I just fired it up, willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and pick up a couple tables before my play credit expires. But then I see it, and am like screw this. I don't want to wade through this mess. It's so offputting. I would potentially straight up buy a few, but the app is an overwhelming visual mess of every f2p mobile trope imaginable that I can't do it.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
How do you buy the tables outright w/ the real physics? You gotta buy the dumb crystals first? I just fired it up, willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and pick up a couple tables before my play credit expires. But then I see it, and am like screw this. I don't want to wade through this mess. It's so offputting. I would potentially straight up buy a few, but the app is an overwhelming visual mess of every f2p mobile trope imaginable that I can't do it.

You should see and option when you start the game , like 10 tables for 29,99. If you dont see it, email zen support threw in game and explain the issue. They can make it appear again. Could take a few days but they can do it.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
You should see and option when you start the game , like 10 tables for 29,99. If you dont see it, email zen support threw in game and explain the issue. They can make it appear again. Could take a few days but they can do it.

Is that the only option? If you buy those crystals or whatever they are, you can't but individual tables? or does that not give you the pro physics?

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Is that the only option? If you buy those crystals or whatever they are, you can't but individual tables? or does that not give you the pro physics?
Well you can buy the crystals, each tables are 250 each if i remember? ( i got them all, cant verify the price ) . And buying em with crystals give you the pro physics for that table. But the conversion of price per crystal for a table is ridiculously high ( like nearly 10$ a table ) , buying the deal of 30$ for all 10 is like a way better deal.

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
Tables do play well, but the unlock only brought tables to 2 stars, and it costs $5 to buy the pro physics for each table unless it's upgraded to 4 stars. Ultimately don't regret the purchase, as the iOS version are realllly snappy versus Switch w/wireless controller (gf and I have weeknight competitions instead of watching tv), but it's a little annoying. If nothing else, unlocking everything will be a fun challenge for the commute each day.
To update on this, based on some research, I think I simply didn't get everything unlocked correctly (it's a new platform, and growing pains are totally understandable). Contacted Zen support and will hopefully get it resolved.

If the $10/pack price does unlock all of the features, then I think the F2P mechanics are a reasonable way to give players a chance to grind free tables.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017

The pay once for Pro physics for like 5$ is not per table btw, it will apply for all tables. You can level up your tables to level 2, buy the pro physic option, and its going to be good for all your tables and futur tables. I dont plan to buy the next pack to try it out, cause at first, i just bought the pro physics and if i remember, i was able to play them without having them at 4 stars. Now its not an issue, i decide to buy all tables, that why i dont want to buy next pack and try it out.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
The pay once for Pro physics for like 5$ is not per table btw, it will apply for all tables. You can level up your tables to level 2, buy the pro physic option, and its going to be good for all your tables and futur tables. I dont plan to buy the next pack to try it out, cause at first, i just bought the pro physics and if i remember, i was able to play them without having them at 4 stars. Now its not an issue, i decide to buy all tables, that why i dont want to buy next pack and try it out.

So, I got $15 to burn in credit I gotta use or lose. Sounds like that would get me 2 tables + pro physics?

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
So, I got $15 to burn in credit I gotta use or lose. Sounds like that would get me 2 tables + pro physics?

Not sure the price of the tables, on IOS it was 250 gem per table, and the upgrade to pro physic was 250 or 200? Not sure. If you buy your two tables, youll have pro physic on them, the pro physic upgrade will be for the remaining 8 you havent bought.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Haha. Yeah. Even to upgrade the tables, its not just tickets, but parts also! But it play really great on IOS, the tables are not censored, its why i think when you see the deal where they offer you the 10 tables for 29$ , or regular console or pc 3 table package price at like 10$, you grab it and dont bother with this leveling up system. Buuuut, its a choice. You can get tables at lvl 2 for free. (and btw dont bother leveling them up at lvl 4, price to upgrade from 3 to 4 cost Gems and the total price of gem require is nearly equal to the same freakin price of a pack on console/pc)

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
Ahhhhhh, that makes more sense. One-time purchase at $5 is much better.

Edit: Now I look and immediately see "all tables" for the unlock. Oops.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
So after messing around with the app, I just ended up using my Google Play credit on some music instead before it expired.
I hate everything about the app, and am not supporting that model, lol.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
I never really liked Champion's Pub on PA but I've become obsessed with it on FX3. That one and Theatre of Magic are incredible, such an amazing pack, and I still haven't really learned safecracker yet!

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
Played at a local arcade for a solid 4 hours today with friends, splitting time between pinball and Killer Queen. They got rid of their Attack on Mars and Twilight Zone (repair jobs they sold), but I was able to sink a lot of time into an IRL Stern Star Trek and the new Black Knight.

Highlight was 100% playing several games of Big Lebowski, which I had seen there before turned off. Pretty cool layout, though at $1/play, it was the most expensive game in the room

Oct 25, 2017
FX3 tables on Steam are on sale right now. Not sure if that's been so for long, but, thought at least worth a mention if you missed it.

I might pick up the Star Wars tables since I can finish both seasons for about $10 with existing packs.

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
My initial impressions of FX3 Williams pack 4 are more positive than I expected. While I'm still not a fan of the talking heads on Roadshow I was impressed by the overall theme and sound effects and am looking forward to spending more time with it. Love the sound effects in Hurricane as well and White Water is tougher than I remember with lots of ball drains for the few games I tried. Keep em coming (especially TOTAN - please!) and keep up the great work, Zen Studios!

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Are the sounds a bit... off... in some of these new tables? Whitewater almost sounds like some of the voices have been re-recorded, like even their intonation is different from the full machine. Very weird.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
I'm liking the new flipper physics but I feel like the tips of the flippers are a bit soft maybe? Makes timing flicking the ball off both tips and back out again on a near drain harder, you have to do it slower.

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
Have not seen the new tables at all on mobile, even after uninstalling/reinstalling. Anybody have better luck?

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm liking the new flipper physics but I feel like the tips of the flippers are a bit soft maybe? Makes timing flicking the ball off both tips and back out again on a near drain harder, you have to do it slower.
Agreed, they definitely feel weird, at least on Switch. Thought it was they didn't have the feeling of power right, but I was definitely mistiming a lot of shots because of it.

Think about it: All these machines should have basically the same flipper mechs, but the older tables feel far more real.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Grabbed Pack 4 and look forwards to playing it tonight. Now I just need to convince someone to turn on and off a fan while I'm playing Hurricane.

Edit: Or not. Totally got Whirlwind (which I love) and Hurricane (which seems okay now that I've played it) confused. This pack is less exciting than when I thought it had Whirlwind in it, but that's all on me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
They put out Big Buck Hunter Pro and Whoa Nellie! near the end of last year, though I don't think anybody's heard anything since.
Only on PC and iOS/Android though, yeah? I don't think they're available for the Switch version.

That reminds me, there's a sale on one of the Stern packs for the Switch TPA.

PS. For whatever reason, they're still doing the regular Friday livestreams of TPA, I have no idea why. Given they've seemingly lost Stern along with WMS, what's the point? Their only option is to release obscure shit now and hope it sticks. Gimme a mobile port of Night Moves and I'll be happy, FarSight:

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From The Pinball Arcade Facebook page

This is your last chance to purchase AC/DC® Pinball before it's gone!

Our license agreement to sell the AC/DC® Pinball table will come to an end on June 30th, 2019. After this date, the AC/DC® Pinball table will no longer be offered for sale within the Pinball Arcade or Stern Pinball Arcade. However, customers who purchased the table prior to the deadline will continue to own the table and have access to it within the game. We will continue to support it as we do the other tables in our collection. This change will affect all of our devices and platforms.

AC/DC® and Stern Pack 1 will both be 50% off so you can pick it up before it's gone!

Sale dates:
iOS: Now - June 30th
Android: Now - June 30th
Steam: Now - June 30th
PS4 NA: June 10th - June 30th
PS4 EU: Now - June 30th
Switch: June 10th - June 30th
Xbox One: TBT (We will announce via FB)

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
I have only recently gotten in to playing FX3, and have been blown away how fun it is playing it. Brilliant playing in short bursts. I just makes me wonder why I haven't got into the genre sooner.