• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
They are just in Volume 4 so far.

Bunmer. :(

Yeah I actually perform most of those myself in irl but I meant which ones are actually 100% doable in PFX3 with the Williams Volume 4 pack

Regardless, deaflip is super cool and I wasn't aware of it, thanks!

Edit: aaaaand bought! lol
Yeah ok these are pretty great (still plenty work to do imo) now I *really* wish all had been updated!

Edit 2:
uhmm I can't pull post pass on Whitewater for the life of me, this "simulation" seems harder than real life considering how easy it is to perform a post-pass normally

Last edited:

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
one of the things Farsight did much better were the "how to play" table's instructions.
Sometimes it probably looked overwhelming to casual/new players but I loved how through it was (and of course in true FS' fashion they were choke full of little fuck ups on the text etc. ) but compared to the 5 "tips"/quick faq that Zen is providing? Million times better. Too bad.

I have 3 wishes for PFX3 Williams and probably won't get to see any:

• Full instructions How to Play a table.
• GI on Switch :P Seriously, please give the lighting/reflections system a little touch up because the Switch can do better.
• better flippers' simulations

Dash Kappei Which mode are you playing? I find it easier to do a lot of the stuff in classic mode rather than the arcade in Pack 4. I still think the modelling of the rubber on the flippers needs a little work still. I find the tips a little soft.

I only play Classic, so with the "sim" physics and no bs superpowers (sorry not for me) in a mix of Arcade or Tournament Mode. Tho I wish there was a text blurb explaining in detail what Tourney mode entails... iirc it was also bugged for a long time, has it been fixed?

Deadflip is basically the pinball equivalent of *shudder* Ninja. Or whichever big-name gaming streamer there is, but not at all a douchebag.

lol gotcha
I know who Ninja is but I can't say I ever followed a streamer or YouTube "personality" but thank for the heads up

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
one of the things Farsight did much better were the "how to play" table's instructions.
Sometimes it probably looked overwhelming to casual/new players but I loved how through it was (and of course in true FS' fashion they were choke full of little fuck ups on the text etc. ) but compared to the 5 "tips"/quick faq that Zen is providing? Million times better. Too bad.

• GI on Switch :P Seriously, please give the lighting/reflections system a little touch up because the Switch can do better.

Agree a bit on instructions, but at the same time, i think Farsight was over repeating the instructions. Maybe a mix between both could be welcome. There is table guides online for the first two packs, which give more detail instruction. Hoping one day they incorporate these guides into the game.

And yeah visual suffer a bit on Switch , when i play on PS4 i notice the difference in the lightning relfexing of the ball, the ball graphic itself, the inside sides look better. Perhaps they are some limitation to make sure it play at acceptable framerate.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I imagine whenever Nintendo releases their Switch revision if it has better hardware, we'll see some games (especially GaaS) bump up visuals for it. If not there's always Switch 2, that will definitely be on par whenever it gets supported.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes

Yes, the in game instructions for White Water in FX3 are very poor.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
What view do people prefer on Ps4? I used to play 4 so I could see detail at the top of the table. Recently switched to 2, seems more natural and the camera doesnt move.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
So it doesn't matter where I'll buy it or what pack, I'll get the same content in both titles?

If i remember i bought on Switch, and dont remember where i bought first of TPA or SPA. Email support@farsightstudios before just to make sure.

Edit: Just found this. I think its better to buy first in SPA, they talk about ps4 version but i think it concern all platforms now

• If you own Mustang in Stern Pinball Arcade (PS4), you will be eligible to purchase Mustang in The Pinball Arcade (PS4) for free
  • If you own Star Trek in Stern Pinball Arcade (PS4), you will be eligible to purchase Star Trek in The Pinball Arcade (PS4) for free
  • If you own ACDC in Stern Pinball Arcade (PS4), you will be eligible to purchase ACDC in The Pinball Arcade (PS4) for free
  • If you own Table Pack 1 in Stern Pinball Arcade (PS4), you will be eligible to purchase Stern Pack 1 in The Pinball Arcade (PS4) for free
  • If you own Stern Pack 2 in Stern Pinball Arcade (PS4), you will be eligible to purchase Stern Pack 2 in The Pinball Arcade (PS4) for free

Last edited:

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
What view do people prefer on Ps4? I used to play 4 so I could see detail at the top of the table. Recently switched to 2, seems more natural and the camera doesnt move.

Yeah, i think view 2 is the best, you see more of the table, sometime going between 1 and 2. Not a fan also of the moving views

Oct 26, 2017
Usually view 4, because I can't see enough table detail with the static cameras. I'm as casual as it gets with pinball, fwiw.
This makes sense when you're unfamiliar with what everything says. But when I know a table's layout and meta game, I pull the view out so I can follow the ball's trajectory around the table. I always use a pulled out view and just try to study and understand a table if it keeps my interest.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got to try a couple tables yesterday. I do not like that the coin slot been gutted for this crappy card system. Looks wrong.

pkjLpKc.jpg

0bsrWr5.jpg

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the pinball museum in Budapest. Spent a lot if time on The Adams Family and The Simpsons pinball party.

Hadn't played on some of the ones with video screens before. I didn't like Star Wars Ep1 but it was interesting with weird crap like Jedi musical chairs. Then I tried some better takes on the idea like LotR/Hobbit, Tron Legacy and some others which were better.

The best modern one though was dialled in, weird idea for a table but just felt really fun to play and reminded me of Sim City.
Sadly it was too dark for my phone pics to look good but here's one anyway.

4MQfDRkm.jpg

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
I'm happy to have stumbled across this thread, as I've been getting more and more into pinball.

That being said, looking through the PS4 store, I see about games, Pinball Arcade, Stern Pinball Arcade, and Pinball FX3.

Now, what's the best option to pick up?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm happy to have stumbled across this thread, as I've been getting more and more into pinball.

That being said, looking through the PS4 store, I see about games, Pinball Arcade, Stern Pinball Arcade, and Pinball FX3.

I recommend Pinball FX3, then pick the table packs with themes you like and get them on sale. They're all frequently 40%-60% off.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017

All!

FX 3 now got the Williams pinballs, and original pinballs, and its very good. The Williams engine is the best engine you can get, and will get tons of new table.

Pinball Arcade got Stern, Gottlieb pinballs. The older game, but still very good. Stern Pinball Arcade is not necessary unless you want the special editions of some pinballs in Pinball Arcade. And btw, you got untill june 30 to grab AcDc, the license is expiring.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
I recommend Pinball FX3, then pick the table packs with themes you like and get them on sale. They're all frequently 40%-60% off.
All!

FX 3 now got the Williams pinballs, and original pinballs, and its very good. The Williams engine is the best engine you can get, and will get tons of new table.

Pinball Arcade got Stern, Gottlieb pinballs. The older game, but still very good. Stern Pinball Arcade is not necessary unless you want the special editions of some pinballs in Pinball Arcade. And btw, you got untill june 30 to grab AcDc, the license is expiring.

Thanks for the info. Ended up downloading all.

Any suggestions on tables or table packs to pick up?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Real pinball or fantasy pinball?

Real:

The first 4 volumes of PBFX3's Williams tables are a no brainer.

In The Pinball Arcade both Stern Packs are great buys.

I would just ignore the Stern Pinball Arcade app, it is practically obsolete and the exact some content packs are in TPA and the TPA packs contain an additional table not in SPA (Flight 2000)

The classic Gottlieb EM pack is also awesome if you enjoy the vintage tables

Fantasy:
PBFX3 - Easy to start with Star Wars Volume 1, Bethesda, Jurassic Park. Good, safe bets.

Last edited:

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017

For FX 3 as HotHamBoy said, all packs are very good. My order of preference would be 1-4-2-3.
For non real tables, the Aliens pack is the one i enjoy the most.

For Pinball Arcade, Stern pack 1 is on special atm, and its the last two week you will be able to get ACDC, license expired after that, id grad this pack first.

If you got unlimited funds, get em all!

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Real pinball or fantasy pinball?

Real:

The first 4 volumes of PBFX3's Williams tables are a no brainer.

In The Pinball Arcade both Stern Packs are great buys.

I would just ignore the Stern Pinball Arcade app, it is practically obsolete and the exact some content packs are in TPA and the TPA packs contain an additional table not in SPA (Flight 2000)

The classic Gottlieb EM pack is also awesome if you enjoy the vintage tables

Fantasy:
PBFX3 - Easy to start with Star Wars Volume 1, Bethesda, Jurassic Park. Good, safe bets.
For FX 3 as HotHamBoy said, all packs are very good. My order of preference would be 1-4-2-3.
For non real tables, the Aliens pack is the one i enjoy the most.

For Pinball Arcade, Stern pack 1 is on special atm, and its the last two week you will be able to get ACDC, license expired after that, id grad this pack first.

If you got unlimited funds, get em all!

Awesome, thank you both. I've tried both, I think I like FX3 a bit more than PA as it has both real tables and made up tables. I picked up the Jurassic World pack last night and I'll be ordering 1 of the Williams Packs on FX3, Aliens, and maybe a pack for PA tomorrow.

My wife and I stayed up way late last night drinking and doing the 2p hotseat mode in FX3. Had a blast!

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, thank you both. I've tried both, I think I like FX3 a bit more than PA as it has both real tables and made up tables. I picked up the Jurassic World pack last night and I'll be ordering 1 of the Williams Packs on FX3, Aliens, and maybe a pack for PA tomorrow.

My wife and I stayed up way late last night drinking and doing the 2p hotseat mode in FX3. Had a blast!
I had forgotten about the AC/DC pack expiring. Get Stern Volume 1 in TPA asap, it's a fantastic table

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't know anything about the pinball world, but I went to a arcade place where you pay an entry fee and get unlimited plays on the arcade cabinets etc.

They had 'Medieval Madness' and it was fantastic. Probably had most of my arcade fun on that.
Great design, good noises, pleasingly tactile. Fun!

One day I'll find a Star Trek: TNG pinball machine, as I have fond memories of playing on a free play one a friend of my pa had in the back of their shop.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Is that still on sale? I'm rocking Retroarch on Switch at the moment so haven't booted into the regular Nintendo OS for a little while now.

Its not on sale, but fuck, i just realize something. There is major lighttning difference with ACDC when im comparing Switch vs PS4. The blue lightning target dont make the big lightning signs lightnup, bumpers do no lightning at all, and there is some lightning effect like when going up the ramp that are not present on Switch. Iv tried other tables and it seem to my eye its only that table.

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Its not on sale, but fuck, i just realize something. There is major lighttning difference with ACDC when im comparing Switch vs PS4. The blue lightning target dont make the big lightning signs lightnup, bumpers do no lightning at all, and there is some lightning effect like when going up the ramp that are not present on Switch. Iv tried other tables and it seem to my eye its only that table.
Yeah, the Switch is definitely pared-down compared to other platforms. They dumped that release on the eShop and have literally not touched it since.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, i think view 2 is the best, you see more of the table, sometime going between 1 and 2. Not a fan also of the moving views

Sticking with view 2, feels best.

I've stayed exclusively on single player mode until last night with the Williams packs. Classic is a lot harder but feels so much better.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
In Pinball FX3, what's the difference between Arcade and Tournament modes when playing a real table?

Explanation iv found on steam :
In tournament settings , the table is setup at an steeper angle. meaning the ball will roll faster, and that in turn changes how the ball behaves when coming down ramps, how you aim, etc.
Also changes to the rubbers and posts will make some shots harder, and outlanes easier. random awards are not random , no extra balls etc.
It's the same phsyics, but more gravity changes everything.

As example, Attack of Mars stroke of luck random award only give you 50 million all the time, extra ball give you score only etc.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Explanation iv found on steam :
In tournament settings , the table is setup at an steeper angle. meaning the ball will roll faster, and that in turn changes how the ball behaves when coming down ramps, how you aim, etc.
Also changes to the rubbers and posts will make some shots harder, and outlanes easier. random awards are not random , no extra balls etc.
It's the same phsyics, but more gravity changes everything.

As example, Attack of Mars stroke of luck random award only give you 50 million all the time, extra ball give you score only etc.

Thanks!

Ended up buying more tables yesterday morning. I'm hooked.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!

Ended up buying more tables yesterday morning. I'm hooked.

Welcome aboard! 😁.

Dont forget to grab Stern Pack 1 in Pinball Arcade to grab ACDC, its a hell of a table. And taste for pinball can always change. A lot of tables didnt hook me at first, but after a few tries, it finally click. Same can be said with tables that at first hook you and after you realise you dont enjoy it. My top 10 can change every month lol.

Aine

May 27, 2019
I always appreciated the work these devs do towards keeping pinball alive. I'm always tempted to get into these, but then I remember how terrible I am at pinball.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
I always appreciated the work these devs do towards keeping pinball alive. I'm always tempted to get into these, but then I remember how terrible I am at pinball.

Like about a year ago, when the license lost of Farsight happen, i was just a casual player, just bouncing the ball anywhere thiking that pinball was it. Played a little in the arcade when i was younger, but was not hook into that. I knew with Pinball Arcade i had a few table ( i owned like 4 Tales or Arabian Nights, Black Hole, Theater of Magic, Ripley ), and got curious at the other tables. I came to this thread, read a bit more about pinball, asked a few question, and finally realise that pinball is not just about jumping the ball anywhere, a table can look like a rpg-adventure of its own. Drop X targets, a ramp now give you X bonus, complete X ramp X time unlock an area to lock balls, lock a few there to do a multiball, etc etc. Each tables are done differently which make them a very unique experience of its own. I sucked, but i git gud after trying alot, and now, digital pinball has become my favorite hobby. To tell you how much im hook, i own like 95 of previous-current tables of Pinball Arcade and got all packs from FX3, with some exception.

Try one that get your attention, an easy one to start is always a good beginning.If you look at FX3, the latest williams volume 4 imo give you easy and fun tables with Hurricane and White Water, while Road Show is an amazing table , but more technical to master. Each table give you some instruction too on how to play them. Dont hesitate to try it, if your getting hook, you will never drop pinball for the rest of your life 😬

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
If you enjoy pinball, then you're never terrible at it. Also, if you play to enjoy it, every single game will improve your skills if you realise it or not :)

So what's the consensus here: the Pinbot games are just never going to get ported to FX3?
They've said Alphanumeric (aka Solid State) games are definitely on the cards as machines we could see in the future. This would potentially include:
Pinbot/Bride of Pinbot
High Speed
Funhouse
Black Knight 2000
Taxi
Whirlwind
etc.

I think the first two Pinbot games are a pretty good possibility. The "adult" nature of Bride might not work in it's favour though.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a stickler for some of the minor changes they have made to some games for ratings purposes. However, the E rating really hurts the viability of potential tables like BoP and possibly Iron Maiden, Metallica, Walking Dead, etc if they actually get the full the Stern license.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Like about a year ago, when the license lost of Farsight happen, i was just a casual player, just bouncing the ball anywhere thiking that pinball was it. Played a little in the arcade when i was younger, but was not hook into that. I knew with Pinball Arcade i had a few table ( i owned like 4 Tales or Arabian Nights, Black Hole, Theater of Magic, Ripley ), and got curious at the other tables. I came to this thread, read a bit more about pinball, asked a few question, and finally realise that pinball is not just about jumping the ball anywhere, a table can look like a rpg-adventure of its own. Drop X targets, a ramp now give you X bonus, complete X ramp X time unlock an area to lock balls, lock a few there to do a multiball, etc etc. Each tables are done differently which make them a very unique experience of its own. I sucked, but i git gud after trying alot, and now, digital pinball has become my favorite hobby. To tell you how much im hook, i own like 95 of previous-current tables of Pinball Arcade and got all packs from FX3, with some exception.

Try one that get your attention, an easy one to start is always a good beginning.If you look at FX3, the latest williams volume 4 imo give you easy and fun tables with Hurricane and White Water, while Road Show is an amazing table , but more technical to master. Each table give you some instruction too on how to play them. Dont hesitate to try it, if your getting hook, you will never drop pinball for the rest of your life 😬

I have a very similar story, though Zaccaria Pinball (on Switch) was the game that sparked my interest in Pinball. I think I had never played a real pinball machine before, but Zaccaria got me so hooked I actually started going to pinball places to see and play real machines. I'm 40 and I can tell you guys, it's never too late to get started with pinball.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
I have a very similar story, though Zaccaria Pinball (on Switch) was the game that sparked my interest in Pinball. I think I had never played a real pinball machine before, but Zaccaria got me so hooked I actually started going to pinball places to see and play real machines. I'm 40 and I can tell you guys, it's never too late to get started with pinball.

Oh yeah! Even planning to get a real one at decent price one day! Im hooked!

Speaking of Zaccaria, i owned nearly all the tables, but i have a hard time finding the perfect overall best ball physic, have you find one? Id love to give it more time, but i find the ball physic not as fun to play like FX3 or TPA. Sometime i find a physic thats not bad, but when applied to other table, it feel weird. Lots of tweaking can be done individually, just wondering if an overall tweak make it more enjoyable.