• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Just reading though what happens in Doki Doki Literature Club and it really seems like an amazing concept. I actually hope Greg plays through it to see what he thinks of what it does. lol
I can see why people say it's the
Frog Fractions
of anime games, which is something that CJ might appreciate.

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
Dark Souls is my only platinum trophy (though I'm one away from Bloodborne). I've played through it probably a dozen times, including twice last summer. I love Dark Souls, and I love the Switch. This morning when I saw the remaster news my first thought was "Awesome!" but in the back of my mind I could hear Greg saying "7 years old? Yeah that's about right for a Switch game."

Thanks, man.

Planet_JASE

Oct 26, 2017
Episode 584: Legend of Billy Crystal

This week! Retro controllers coming back, Remaster/ports aplenty, Nintendo Direct Minis, more on Doki Doki Literature Club, Ethan buys a new micro SD card for the Switch, and much, much more. Join us, won't you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/01_16_18-Episode584.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/584
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: https://youtu.be/5Yc_3-NqaB0
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/p1podcast
Greg's Extra-Life: http://www.extra-life.org/participant/sewart

Planet_JASE

Oct 26, 2017
PS: You continue to be my favourite cast member, Greg. Your incredulous reaction to the use of "quality of life" was, at least in my view, warranted. I know people have personal definitions of what that means - and they are by all means welcome to it - but we shared the same reaction.

PPS: This is by no means a jab at Ethan. I love you too, audio buddy. And congrats on whatever it was that you were celebrating.

PPPS: Just so that you don't feel left out, "I love you guys" to both CJ and Phil. All you guys are swell.

mik

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to have to swap memory cards.

Also, I prefer to buy games physically. So, I, you know, have to swap them.

LoveAndBeer

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lexington, KY
Based on Greg's comments this week I picked up and played Doki Doki Literature Club, knowing only what Greg mentioned on the podcast (that it was more than just a visual novel). Let's just say I enjoyed the game enough to purchase the $10 DLC because it was way too good to be free.

All I can say is I really hope Phil and CJ heed his advice and play the game blind so they can discuss (heck, mik, I'd love to hear your thoughts, as well as Ethan who has had it spoiled).

P.S. I actually get Ethan's Quality Of Life view for the overpriced memory card, hope he enjoys his gift to himself for whatever good thing happened.
P.S.S. I've spent more money on dumber things

OP
OP
SuperPac

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
CJ on Xbox: I want new stuff. New IP.

CJ on Nintendo: All the ports, plz.

To clarify, I want everything on Switch. Everything. New, old (if it can be adequately ported) - doesn't matter. This is why I find ports, all the ports, acceptable.

The only thing I'm interested in on Xbox is new stuff, new IP, because PS4 claims everything else (in part because PS4 has had more exclusives I'm interested in and its interface isn't bafflingly slow like the XBO's still is). Sea of Thieves, the new Ori, and Crackdown 3 are at the top of that list.

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Xenoblade 2, if Ethan had actually tried to fight the dinosaur that pops out of the wall, he would have realized it's scripted and he could have easily finished the quest.

mik

Oct 25, 2017
I just think it might also be nice if there were some new properties on the Switch as well.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm bummed you guys had such a negative experience with PUBG on the Xbox. I have an X1X and am loving PUBG. It is the only thing I play now, which is bonkers because I haven't given a shit about VS online shooters in ages. I thought I was done with them, really. But all my friends from years back have gathered again around PUBG and we are playing the ever loving shit out of it. It has been glorious. Its not all just X1X players either, we have a handful of S and OG users in our group as well. I haven't been this excited about an online game since Friday the 13th, honestly. I really hope the P1 crew gives it another shot sometime. It has had a lot of great updates in a short amount of time and I am confident it will be even better by the time it hits 1.0.

Also, I don't blame Ethan for not wanting to swap memory cards but also preferring carts for his games. I was the same way on the Vita and trying to keep track of what stuff is on which memory cards is a burden. You guys know he is single-handedly trying to make the Switch a success by buying every single game available on it, so surely you can understand his need for a mammoth-sized memory card that can hold it all?

stewy

Oct 27, 2017
I just think it might also be nice if there were some new properties on the Switch as well.

Exactly my position. It's not so much that I don't think people should be happy about older games, but as a Switch owner I sure would like some more newer options to come out more frequently.

My main issue with the memory card is not how much it cost (though I do have trouble reconciling the cost vs benefit, Ethan can do what he wants with his money), but hearing something as simple as not having to swap a memory card every so often described as a "quality of life improvement" just did not sit well with me. These are luxury items. Not having to switch memory cards is a convenience. I think using that phrase to describe this particular instance was even more hyperbolic than we usually go on our show, drawing a false equivalency to things that are actually QOL issues, like, say, the ability of someone who is unable to travel suddenly being able to communicate with distant relatives via a new laptop and Skype, or someone who has spent years fighting a terminal disease confined to a hospital bed being able to get the care they need while still living at home.

Mock that all you want, but that's where I was coming from with the whole QOL discussion.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly my position. It's not so much that I don't think people should be happy about older games, but as a Switch owner I sure would like some more newer options to come out more frequently.

My main issue with the memory card is not how much it cost (though I do have trouble reconciling the cost vs benefit, Ethan can do what he wants with his money), but hearing something as simple as not having to swap a memory card every so often described as a "quality of life improvement" just did not sit well with me. These are luxury items. Not having to switch memory cards is a convenience. I think using that phrase to describe this particular instance was even more hyperbolic than we usually go on our show, drawing a false equivalency to things that are actually QOL issues, like, say, the ability of someone who is unable to travel suddenly being able to communicate with distant relatives via a new laptop and Skype, or someone who has spent years fighting a terminal disease confined to a hospital bed being able to get the care they need while still living at home.

Mock that all you want, but that's where I was coming from with the whole QOL discussion.

I think he was just using the phrase in the context of video games where minor things like menu and UI adjustments are frequently referred to as QoL improvements

OP
OP
SuperPac

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I was listening to a different podcast today and someone referred to adjustments made in a game's sequel as "quality of life improvements."

Oct 25, 2017
The thing with Ethan is I don't even know what is real or parody anymore. Like, I seem to recall him saying that the Switch or the Vita themselves were big quality of life improvements because if he got somewhere early five minutes he would be able to play a game and not be forced to sit and think by himself, but I also don't know if that was Mike or Greg making fun of him on Twitter with that specific line of reasoning, or something I'm imagining and making up right now in a post flu fever.

And, Ethan likes to spend money, so him buying a several hundred dollar memory card and coming up with a reason to do so isn't really that shocking to me anymore.

OP
OP
SuperPac

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ethan wears his heart on his sleeve - he's passionate about his pastimes and stands by his decisions/convictions and withstands abuse for it on at least one podcast. A weaker man would've long stopped bringing up certain things on podcasts (like I never bring up any of my Apple purchases...glance glance).

Does he need a reason aside from "I wanted to"? I feel like if you have the means and the money to do so and it's something that makes you happy...is that wrong? Spending a little extra money to have the Switch experience you want doesn't seem insane to me. I wouldn't do it (I have a 200GB card, I'm all digital, and I'm happy with that size/price), but I can't fault someone for it with the way Ethan explained it.

This all seems to have stemmed from stretching the use of "quality of life" to a non health-related circumstance which seems common(?)...

Like a topic on this forum posted yesterday - https://www.resetera.com/threads/small-qol-features-you-noticed-enjoyed.16636/

Or this one - https://www.resetera.com/threads/lets-appreciate-quality-of-life-in-ac-origins.4634/

Or this one - https://www.resetera.com/threads/smaller-quality-of-life-rom-hacks.2476/

Or this - https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...fast-travel-in-todays-games.3905/#post-505565

Or this - https://www.resetera.com/threads/wow-this-site-is-slick-af.810/page-3#post-27701

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Ethan is def. a bigger person than I am since I'm only a listener and can get annoyed by the way he always has to defend himself for his purchases lol. The fact that he still brings everything up and is ready explain his point of view regardless of the feedback is quite awesome. His enthusiasm and willingness to go the extra mile for things he is passionate about is expected and part of the show at this point.

It's not much different from people who switched out their standard HDDs on PS4 shortly after launch for big and expensive SSD drives because they were so invested in the eco system that they were willing to pay premium to have a even better/smoother experience.

PS. Tolerating or even being interested in Remakes/Ports doesn't necessarily mean a person isn't more interested in new games. It's not a either or situation.

Switch has been out for 10months now, for a 15 minute Mini Direct what they showed was solid. I doubt that they unveiled their whole first half of the year Lineup already though.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that the rest of the guys play Doki Doki Literature Club so they can talk about it. But since it's CJ, I expect we'll hear about it in 2020. ;)

mik

Oct 25, 2017
The thing with Ethan is I don't even know what is real or parody anymore. Like, I seem to recall him saying that the Switch or the Vita themselves were big quality of life improvements because if he got somewhere early five minutes he would be able to play a game and not be forced to sit and think by himself, but I also don't know if that was Mike or Greg making fun of him on Twitter with that specific line of reasoning, or something I'm imagining and making up right now in a post flu fever.

And, Ethan likes to spend money, so him buying a several hundred dollar memory card and coming up with a reason to do so isn't really that shocking to me anymore.

You're not mistaken...

http://www.playeronepodcast.com/for...ghtful-feeling/&do=findComment&comment=317875

mik

Oct 25, 2017
A weaker man would've long stopped bringing up certain things on podcasts (like I never bring up any of my Apple purchases...glance glance).

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that, in my quest to find just the right wireless headphones, yours is the only caveat-free, no-hesitation review of Apple's AirPods that I've encountered.

;)

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I understand the 400gb SD card. It's the same reason I buy large memory cards for my SLR camera, it is a quality of life because I don't want to worry or let alone think about storage management.

Nov 27, 2017
I get where Ethan is coming from. I wish I said 'fuck it' years ago and purchased the big Vita memory card. Instead I messed around with multiple 8 gig cards, hated it, and mostly ignored the system. I'm also tired of my iPhone complaining to me about storage :(

Its the millennial dream, all the avocados and memory you could want.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Hearing Ethan on Power Pros this week reminded me how insightful and informative he can be when he's not being harrassed, interrupted, and basically being used as a punching bag for cheap laughs constantly.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Ethan is definitely a bigger man than I am. While I don't think anyone here or on the show are mean to him (it's all in good fun), the fact that he just brushes it off and moves on is something I could never do.

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing Ethan on Power Pros this week reminded me how insightful and informative he can be when he's not being harrassed, interrupted, and basically being used as a punching bag for cheap laughs constantly.
I need to experience this. I get little glimpses of something more when he talks about games that aren't "games p1 will always talk about" (which wears me out at times) - so I want to see more. So I'll look it up.

EDIT: Oh, it's Nintendo centric - didn't realize. I've got P1 for that, I'm good, but I believe you! He didn't sound like he was worried about anything, it was nice, I will give you that.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Ethan is definitely a bigger man than I am. While I don't think anyone here or on the show are mean to him (it's all in good fun), the fact that he just brushes it off and moves on is something I could never do.

Having witnessed a lot of bullying in junior high and high school and also having worked in after-school programs for years, I notice a lot of similarities with Ethan's responses as I did to the bullying victims I knew growing up. His "laughing it off" might make it seem like it doesn't bother him but I would be surprised if it doesn't at least annoy him. But you're right, he does handle it well.

PillarEN

Oct 25, 2017
Ethan's DoA 3 joke. Heh heh heh. Fun episode this week. Glad the whole gang was there. I miss it when Phil isn't around.
Or was it not last week when only two people showed up? Either way, point stands.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah...honestly its kinda amazing how he just continues and tries to finish his point, regardless of the circumstances.
Probably would have had a couple meltdowns already, because it happens just too consistent.

Just glad that he keeps going on because episodes would turn into a mess real quick if he tried to respond every time.

Planet_JASE

Oct 26, 2017
Episode 585: Living in a Box

This week! SpaceKappa Joe Walker joins us to chat about Nintendo introducing gamers to cardboard, PlayStation immortalized as figures and shoes, Fortnite killing it, Xbox doing really well in December and a whole lot more. Join us, won't you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/01_23_18-Episode585.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/585
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: https://youtu.be/eqA8yhiQDUI
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/p1podcast
Greg's Extra-Life: http://www.extra-life.org/participant/sewart

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta agree with CJ on having Fortnite on Switch. Sure, I'd also love all games to come out for Switch but these battle royale style games would fit right at home on a portable, it would scratch that same "one more run" feel that made me play a lot of Splatoon 2, Puyo Puyo Tetris, ARMS and MK8. I think I ended up putting more hours on MK8 for Switch than the Wii U version for that reason alone.

SickBoy

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible I'm not through the whole segment about it yet, but I think the thing CJ kind of glosses over is that while all Microsoft first-party titles will go on Game Pass, that doesn't mean they're going to be on Game Pass permanently.

Titles may exit the Xbox Game Pass catalog after a period. Xbox Game Pass members can purchase Xbox One titles for 20% off (and DLC for 10% off!) before the title leaves the active Xbox Game Pass catalog.

https://support.xbox.com/en-us/bill...ame-pass-faq#a8f075345ce642b39264f4fe57eb706a

I haven't been following the discussion here at Resetera very closely, but it wouldn't shock me if they don't have those new releases in the store for a pretty tight window to see if they can't get people hooked and then buying them. (Conversely, maybe there's a better business case to leaving them on the service, encouraging subscriptions).

Whatever the case, I've been saying since the launch of Game Pass that Microsoft should really be touting the value/content proposition the services on Xbox offer. That's the company's real competitive strength in this market if they play it up. EA Access is one of the reasons I bought an Xbox. And if I didn't have a huge backlog, I'd probably be a Game Pass subscriber. Especially now. (As it stands, I'm considering a couple of months for Crackdown and Sea of Thieves -- both games I have preordered... both at pretty significant discounts $35Cdn for Sea and $50Cdn for Crackdown thanks to Canadian E3 preorder deals.)

Oct 25, 2017
For being a two person podcast, this week was great. I remember when CJ got kicked off of a podcast because of a hurricane and it devolved into a two person podcast between Greg and Phil.

Totally random question: Is Greg's play though of Snatched online anywhere? I remember he did it a while ago for Extra Life, but I don't know if it was ever archived. Same with Lunar.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I think the main goal of GamePass is to lock-on players and have them spending they money they would on games for DLC and MTX.
Its the f2p system on a larger scale - at least for the first party related content. We already see 3rdParty like SE offering base games like FFXV for cheap during sales but they rarely discount the DLC. Same for EA with the Mass Effect games for example.