• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

When it was announced last year that Disney was going to spend over $70 billion to purchase Fox, pundits and film fans were shocked. Not just because the deal turned Disney into a megastudio, but also that Fox was so quickly absorbed by another studio. Fox had such a long history in Hollywood, that it was almost sad to see it go. But according to a new report, that legendary studio has been nothing but a pain in the ass for Disney.

According to a new report from Variety, Disney is finding that some of the Fox projects that film fans are going to be super excited for are providing more headaches for the studio. The Mouse House is used to scheduling big-budget superhero films, "Star Wars" films, and family-friendly fare. But one of the films that is proving to be a bit of a head-scratcher for the studio is the Fox Searchlight satire "Jojo Rabbit."

Taika Waititi's World War II satire featuring the filmmaker starring as an imaginary version of Adolf Hitler isn't the typical Disney movie. Sure, this awards contender is being released by indie-focused Fox Searchlight, but now that Fox exists under the Disney banner, the higher-ups are starting to wonder how films like "Jojo Rabbit" can affect the Mickey Mouse brand.

Variety is reporting that during a "Jojo Rabbit" screening for executives at Disney, one person not-so-subtlety made his/her worries known by saying that they were concerned about how the film might "alienate" the core Disney audience. As you might expect, Waititi's film isn't something that executives at the megastudio are used to releasing and the biting satire of one of the most infamous villains in human history isn't what people who buy theme park tickets expect from Disney.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ummm who is your core audience, Disney?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
tenor.gif

let Taika be Taika

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Worth it just for those marvel movie rights. Right guys?

Hopefully President Warren nullifies the 20th century fox acquisition. Disney is too big and should be split up, along with a number of other corporations.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why should Disney care? It's not like that's their movie. A director will have a diverse portfolio, so unless they are doing that shit with property that they own, they can mind their own business.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
to be fair to disney, we just had the trailer thread devolve into a bunch of people not understanding that the entire film is supposed to be SATIRE

and this is a site that prides itself on a base level of education and understanding of comedy.

Disney is right to be concerned that the general public may not appreciate what the story is.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Core fan of Walt Disney Studios here; JoJo Rabbit will not alienate me. Heavily looking forward to it. Hope they slap the Cinderella Castle logo before it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Don't release it under the Disney branding and you don't have anything to worry about. Christ, Disney.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I think it's easy to see how making light of Hitler could make people uncomfortable. The original Variety article does not get into details, so articles like this are maybe padding the facts.

The scathing takedown of Nazism may, however, prove a little too edgy for Disney brass accustomed to producing movies suitable for parents and kids. Searchlight has started to screen the film for its new parent company. Halfway through one recent viewing one executive grew audibly uncomfortable, worrying aloud that the material would alienate Disney fans. His unease may have been over the film's cutting-edge satire, but it was also an expression of the culture clash taking place as the two studios embark on their new union.

OP
OP
jack_package_200
Oct 25, 2017
I am sure a lot of actual children and manchildren who only see megablockbusters and fuck all else probably hadn't heard of it let alone would bother to see it.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Based on the Era thread about the trailer, they might have good reason to worry.

It seems a not insignificant number of people are actually idiots.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The future of filmaking is gonna be interesting. A family friendly monopoly that's fun for all the family.

Jul 4, 2019
Ah yes a satire about Nazis. Let's make sure we don't alienate our fan base. I can't believe we have to literally put SATIRE in a trailer to get the point across.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One (1) individual made a comment during a screening has now evolved into "The entire Walt Disney Company is concerned about Jojo Rabbit and might not release it."

It's likely the dumbass exec wasn't aware Jojo Rabbit is being marketed and released under the Fox banner and not Disney.

OP
OP
jack_package_200
Oct 25, 2017
The future of filmaking is gonna be interesting. A family friendly monopoly that's fun for all the family.
Thats whats so fucking terrible creatively about the merger.

I hope you like more like your films safe and sanitized of ANYTHING that might challenge your beliefs or make you the audience uncomfortable.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd love to meet the kid that makes the connection between this film with Thor Ragnarok and feels alienated.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
This is a special level of delusion that shows a basic misunderstanding of what a monopoly is.
Never said it was a monopoly. Just the fact that Disney now owns many multi billion dollar movie franchises including Star Wars, Marvel, Avatar , hell they also now own the Alien movie franchise. Their 20th century fox acquisition should have never been allowed to happen and people on this forum mostly defend it because "it brings the marvel movie rights back home". Now that to me is delusional.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
This was one of the big worries about Disney sucking everything up at Fox. These smaller less 'middle america' family movies under the mercy of executive dolts.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Thats whats so fucking terrible creatively about the merger.

I hope you like more like your films safe and sanitized of ANYTHING that might challenge your beliefs or make you the audience uncomfortable.

You can see the board meetings in your head.

"Hmm... This "Xenomorph" seems a bit... Phallic looking, don't you think? Not really something we want associated with our brand. And is that spider thing sticking something down a guys throat? Ooh no, China won't like that..."

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Your average person doesn't give two fucks if Fox Searchlight releases a Hitler movie lmao. Some soccer mom won't even know it's Disney.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
One (1) individual made a comment during a screening has now evolved into "The entire Walt Disney Company is concerned about Jojo Rabbit and might not release it."

It's likely the dumbass exec wasn't aware Jojo Rabbit is being marketed and released under the Fox banner and not Disney.
there's also this.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Ah yes a satire about Nazis. Let's make sure we don't alienate our fan base. I can't believe we have to literally put SATIRE in a trailer to get the point across.

We live in a world where conspiracy theory websites are alarmingly taken as "truth." Where there's been a sizable "Flat Earth" movement. Regardless of how anyone feels about what "should" or "shouldn't" be obvious, I don't find it strange at all that a mega corporation that makes it's money on safe, non-statement making entertainment might possibly be concerned about something like this film. Especially given the social climate in the US currently. It doesn't mean that Disney Execs don't get it. It means that they want to protect their image.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Variety is reporting that during a "Jojo Rabbit" screening for executives at Disney, one person not-so-subtlety made his/her worries known by saying that they were concerned about how the film might "alienate" the core Disney audience.
One exec said something. People need to chill.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Based on the Era thread about the trailer, they might have good reason to worry.

It seems a not insignificant number of people are actually idiots.
Honestly, I think there are real concerns that the movie might downplay how much of a threat fascists/nazis actually still are. I love Taika Waititi and I could see him handling this well but I am honestly kinda concerned. Surely that's what people in that thread were talking about...

*looks*

oh

Anyway not sure what anyone at Disney was thinking if they bought Fox assuming everything they do fits with their family friendly brand that's PG-13 at most.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Do people here really think that Disney is referring to Nazis when they talk about their core audience?

Also this, but some on Era has trouble detecting the satire in the trailer according to the thread even when it literally said satire so maybe the guy is on to something.

Can't say I'm surprised by the reaction though. It's Disney so people feel obligated to hate them.