• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
jack_package_200
Oct 25, 2017
Do people here really think that Disney is referring to Nazis when they talk about their core audience?
No but I find it embarrassing that they are so afraid of distributing any film that DARES be different from the usual Disney brand. This feels emblematic of things soon to come.

Also Disney has a significant portion of the marketshare, they don't need to defending.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
OP should post the original article, it's literally one Disney exec who thinks this.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
This is why this deal was such garbage in the first place. Its a bad marriage and Disney's tendency to rely on regurgitated fan service will kill any potential fox would have had for Disney... the upside for them being a home alone reboot was pathetic.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Yeesh are people here actually thinking Disney is concerned that Nazis would get offended, and that's what Disney is worried about?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No but I find it embarrassing that they are so afraid of distributing any film that DARES be different from the usual Disney brand. This feels emblematic of things soon to come.

Also Disney has a significant portion of the marketshare, they don't need to defending.

It was one guy that said something. And it doesn't even make sense when we know they have films and shows that don't release under the Disney name, so I don't know why we're freaking out.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
g2YXT2v.jpg

My exact thought.
All disney has to do is keep the branding separate and no one is going to make a big fuss.
It's not like your rolling out the Disney logo before the film, so i'm unsure why the one exec is worried.
The "Core Audience" thinks the buyout was mostly just for Super Heroes in the MCU after-all.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
I do wonder whether they actually did buy a entire film studio just for a bunch of Marvel IP, and is only grudgingly keeping the rest of the studio afloat now.

10 years from now, will Fox even exist outside a logo and some Hollywood real estate, once this acquisition fades into memory? At what point do they simply become a distribution label like Touchstone, something to be slapped on the front of pictures they feel are too mature for the Disney brand?

Gigglepoo

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the whole point of using Fox Searchlight as a brand to avoid associating its movies with Disney?

Also, no one should ever be able to write or say "Mouse House" again. Unless it's about a mouse's house.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
The trailers for this movie really stress that this is satire. (Hilariously so.) It's sad that general audiences can't be expected to figure that out anymore, but looking at the state of the world, I understand why.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So basically instead of letting the fox studios be its own separate thing they are going to basically take it all under "Disney" and force that studio to operate as though it is Disney? So no more r-rated fox films or anything?

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
This is the quote that the entire article in the OP is based on:
The scathing takedown of Nazism may, however, prove a little too edgy for Disney brass accustomed to producing movies suitable for parents and kids. Searchlight has started to screen the film for its new parent company. Halfway through one recent viewing one executive grew audibly uncomfortable, worrying aloud that the material would alienate Disney fans. His unease may have been over the film's cutting-edge satire, but it was also an expression of the culture clash taking place as the two studios embark on their new union.

Original article: https://variety.com/2019/film/featu...phoenix-stuber-racing-in-the-rain-1203300260/

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Do people here really think that Disney is referring to Nazis when they talk about their core audience?
I think they are aware of the fact that there are people pushing back against the idea of nazis being unambiguously bad because they are insecure about being compared to them and secretly admire their goals.
That isn't the only reason they're doing this, and they would never admit this aspect, but it is definitely part of it, however small.

OP
OP
jack_package_200
Oct 25, 2017
Movie: Nazis, Hitler, and Fascism are bad

Disney Exec: You know taking a stance on these issues are really going to alienate members of the audience.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Never said it was a monopoly. Just the fact that Disney now owns many multi billion dollar movie franchises including Star Wars, Marvel, Avatar , hell they also now own the Alien movie franchise. Their 20th century fox acquisition should have never been allowed to happen

"Never said it was a monopoly"

"But it never should have been allowed to happen."

Can't have it both ways. The government should not be stepping in to stop a company from selling its IP (which was its own decision and not forced by Disney) simply because you don't like a lot of IP under one company.

If it were a monopoly, you would have a point.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
to be fair to disney, we just had the trailer thread devolve into a bunch of people not understanding that the entire film is supposed to be SATIRE

and this is a site that prides itself on a base level of education and understanding of comedy.

Disney is right to be concerned that the general public may not appreciate what the story is.
Fuck Disney.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
If its even close to the screenplay you would have to be an absolute idiot or a Nazi to miss the point of this movie.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the idea that fans will be "alienated". I don't think there's a single Disney fan who feels like EVERY project the studio puts out needs to be for them. Especially not when they can market it under the Fox banner

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
"Never said it was a monopoly"

"But it never should have been allowed to happen."

Can't have it both ways. The government should not be stepping in to stop a company from selling its IP (which was its own decision and not forced by Disney) simply because you don't like a lot of IP under one company.

If it were a monopoly, you would have a point.
Yeah it's not a monopoly but thankfully the Sherman Antitrust Act can be applied to potential monopolies meaning that it doesn't have to be one at this time for them to be taken to court. You just need the correct president in power to get things going.

Every person who shall monopolize, or attempt to monopolize, or combine or conspire with any other person or persons, to monopolize any part of the trade or commerce among the several States, or with foreign nations, shall be deemed guilty of a felony

Oh sweet summer child.
I still believe. President Warren is probably the only one who can get this done.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Based on the Era thread about the trailer, they might have good reason to worry.

It seems a not insignificant number of people are actually idiots.
Preach. Even the first couple posts in the Aquaman 2 protest thread had me scratching my head. People have a lot of whooshing going on lately.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Being that it's 2019 the meaning of the movie will be condensed down to a meme with Taika dressed as Hitler so I could see the cause for some concern.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yeah it's not a monopoly but thankfully the Sherman Antitrust Act can be applied to potential monopolies meaning that it doesn't have to be one at this time for them to be taken to court.

Thankfully, it's not even a potential monopoly. There are still too many massive media corporations at play.

I still believe. President Warren is probably the only who can get this done.

lmao

She wouldn't do a damn thing. You don't know what you're talking about.

Deleted member 25702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you don't think one person in power spreading an idea like "this will make our audience uncomfortable" is something that can't spread, you might not be used to corporate cultures. One person says something that ten people hear that tell ten people and two more agree who let twenty people know they agree and so on. This isn't a strong reason to totally dismiss the topic.